Phased In: Star Trek Online “Demo”

By Jim Rossignol on May 8th, 2010 at 12:57 pm.

Cryptic have revealed some details about their free trial for Star Trek Online, which is now available. It allows you to play through the tutorial and an early mission as part of the Federation, and so seems like a decent taster. Any STO veterans want to add more as to whether this is a representative sampler?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hunam says:

The turorial is horrid to be honest. The Azura mission is pretty varied from what I remember and can give a good idea how a mission can play out, but it doesn’t really have any of the actual MMO type gameplay in there. No big fleet missions or PvP style battlegrounds, so it is fairly limited in how you cooperated with fellow players. Saying that though, if you enjoy the demo you’ll enjoy the game, but the opposite isn’t necessarily true.

2. Spooty says:

A 9Gb tutorial… awesome. I’ve been waiting for a free trial to play this game and this is it? What happened to a 10-15 day trial?

3. Hunam says:

If you are dedicated, you can burn through the ‘story’ content in 10-15 days.

4. Sarlix says:

If I had played through the tutorial prior to buying the game I wouldn’t have bothered buying it. Once you get past it though things start to pick up, so any new comers don’t let it put you off. Having said that I haven’t logged on since March…
    It might be due to the fact I was being stalked by a really creepy Dr McCoy look alike who invited me to the bridge of his ship and then proceeded to make Star Trek themed suggestive comments, such as – ‘I would like to engage you’ and ‘do you want to see my warp coil’. I would have thrown him out of the airlock had there been one, but Cryptic neglected to add that feature.
    It’s also worth mentioning there’s a mod that lets you use a Mic to control every aspect of your ship via voice command. If you say engage your ship engages, if you say fire aft torpedoes, it fires aft torpedoes. You can even have basic conversation with the ‘computer’ You don’t have to touch your keyboard at all during space flight if you don’t want to. I will try and find the link to the mod and post it here.

• yhancik says:

Your experience of STO sounds.. ahah.. quite fascinating :p

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Double post!

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Give me his name, I want to add that guy to my friends list.

Not that I play STO, but if I did I would totally want to add him.

• Sarlix says:

Trust me you don’t, even his bridge crew looked uncomfortable around him and their npc’s.

As for the mod I mentioned. I had the link written down on a piece of paper (possibly a post-it note) but I can’t find it anywhere. If anyones really fussed about it I could log on to STO and get it from my friend who gave it to me in the first place. But that would put me at risk of having to deal with said nutter. If you search around the net you may find it, although it was a fairly obscure link and not that well know at the time.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

‘do you want to see my warp coil’

Well…did you?

• Wulf says:

Indeed! Enquiring minds want to know.

• Sarlix says:

What’s this? the Spanish Inquisition?

I don’t have to answer anything!

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Was your name, by chance, “Show Me Your Warp Coil”?

That would explain a lot.

5. Kits says:

Haven’t played since just after release. I rather enjoyed it while I was doing, but completely ran out of anything to do within two or three weeks.

6. Bascule42 says:

Star trek:Onli….can’t be bothered.

7. John Peat says:

I played STO for a month and it works like this – basically…

Ground Stuff – boring and dull with the combat worse than the non-combat tbh

Space Stuff – ACES!!!

PvP – Fun until you run into a set-team or end-up on a team of idiots (so like every other MMO then)

Then you realise that it’s not actually difficult and then you see the scale of the GRIND and the almost total lack of carrots to keep you going (this is a massive, massive screwup for an MMO) and erm – you quit (or at least I did).

Since I quit they’ve added a difficulty slider which MIGHT get you through stuff faster/with a bit more challenge but it still boils-down to a TONNE of grinding in babyships before you get a ‘proper’ ship and theres – erm – not a huge amount to do with it (at least there isn’t now).

Shame really – the space stuff is excellent but the ground stuff is terrible and EVERYTHING is repeated until you’ll lose the will to live.

This coming from someone with 250+days on WoW (long ago but still!!)

8. Wulf says:

I might give this a shot once they have Caitians in.

Has that happened, yet? Or are we able to play Gorn?

I’ll make this easier: Have the recent patches allowed us to play anything bar humans with Bumpy Head Disease?

I’ve heard rumblings of such, but I’m not sure whether it’s been implemented yet or not.

• Sarlix says:

I’ve not played since March so I don’t know what changes have been made. When I was playing though you could be a Klingon once you reached a certain level or Ferengi at the cost of 75 cryptic points or something. The character creator is very robust though, it’s one of the games highlights. So you don’t have to worry about ‘Bumpy Head Disease’ :)

• drcancerman says:

Yes you can play as gorn, or as a bynar, or as any alien you want. It is indeed quite robust the char creator, as someone replied to you before.

They’ve added more end game content, and it is quite fun to play them with friends… trust me, you will enjoy it.

Some missions you want to shoot yourself in the head, but others, even manage to beat any other mmo mission or rpg mission out there…

The most memorable ones, is saving spock’s ass, to what happens with the klingon ridges, to the explanation as to why remus and Romulus got destroyed.

9. malkav11 says:

Bleh. Give me full, unrestricted access to the game (barring a few impediments to gold spammers, I suppose) for a limited period or don’t bother. Demos like this only occasionally work for singleplayer games. They’re a terrible fit indeed for an MMO.

10. Grey_Ghost says:

I do like this game, but at the same time there is a lot not to like about it. My interest in this game feels like I’m on a seesaw.

I only know one thing for sure. Soon as the game stops feeling Star Trek enough, I’m gone. Honestly, the games future in that regard looks a little bleak. Plus I am one of the unfortunate people who doesn’t like any of the Cryptic designed art (Ship classes, etc.), which lately has been outweighing anything that is recognizable to me as Star Trek.

• Grey_Ghost says:

Oh, Yeah. The Tutorial is sorta bleh, but that first mission outside of it does pretty well at demoing what is to come (mission structure wise) for the rest of the game. The Space combat part at the low level does feel restricting though, very little options available. I’ve taken 2 characters through this, and I’ve been dreading having to go through all that again with another character I want to try out.

11. Mr_Day says:

Whilst I did get STO – the collector’s edition, actually, but I do that for a lot of mmos – it was sadly one where I decided that once my sub ran out I wouldn’t bother anymore.

The tutorial doesn’t help. Who do you fight whilst you get to grips with the controls for the game? The sodding Borg. As if they weren’t pathetic enough.

PVP was fun but not exactly varied, ship to ship combat was the best part but, sadly, you could get the same experience playing Pirates of the Burning Sea – it really is all about positioning your ship and getting mauled by enemies that blob up. Then doing the same thing to them.

The away missions were universally shite – either you ran around tricordering things or you shot at groups of pathetically placed bad guys with what was essentially a small army at your beck and call. Worst still, some of the missions consisted of beaming down, scanning something, then running around the area scanning everything. Just back and forth, going:

“oooh, what’s that?” *run*

“What the fuck is that?” *run*

“And that!” *run*

“We’re rocking the planet!” *run*

“AYE! We’re rocking the planet!”

Then a couple of the space missions did that, and I really couldn’t be fucked anymore.

I have some vidoes of it on me x fire page if anyone cares:

12. raskolnik says:

So…I get an account error and server down message on the launcher, which is all I’ve been able to get out of STO. Did the demo expire or something?

• Tyler says:

I am getting the account error message, too.
      Super lame, as it took me something like 8 hours to get the app downloaded in their lameshit non-configurable custom torrent app, and longer still to move that shit across my network.

• Sarlix says:

Just so you guys know, there is usually down time today for maintenance from 11am – 1pm. So if you still can’t get on that may be why.

I just had a quick look on their site and saw this:

‘Welcome Back Weekend begins Friday, May 7, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific and ends Monday, May 10, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific.’

13. Sidorovich says:

I’m itching for some decent Star Trek action, but that’s a hefty download for a tutorial level – can’t justify it with my monthly limit.

14. Huw says:

For some reason Asda is selling the Gold edition (that’s the one with the shirt) for £18 from their website (the “Asda Entertainment” website, not the grocery one) even though the standard edition is still £30. That’s by far the cheapest I’ve seen it in the UK so far.

15. TotalBiscuit says:

STO is a fairly good game in short bursts. The difficulty sliders have made a big difference, it’s nice to be challenged. I ALWAYS play in a group, it’s just not worth the agonising dullness of ground combat with AI bridge officers who end up getting you killed. Space combat is extremely good and it’s blindingly obvious they should have just stuck with that, since it’s the strongest suit of the game. Cryptic just keep making stupid decisions and I wish they’d stop it, I want to like this game more than I do but at present I can only stomach it for an hour or so at a time. That’s probably for the best considering there’s not an awful lot for people to do at end-game and I’m just about to hit Commander.