13 Days Of Men Of War Multiplayer

By Jim Rossignol on May 10th, 2010 at 1:42 pm.

Men Of War is probably my favourite RTS, and I’ve definitely not spent enough time with the multiplayer. Fortunately there’s a grand excuse to get back into this week, as 1c explain: “In the lead up to the 65 th anniversary of Victory in Europe day, 505 Games and 1C company have today made the Men Of War multiplayer client available for free download. From the 11 th to 23 rd May inclusive, players will be given a temporary access key to engage in the game’s tense multiplayer combat modes.”

Get the key here and the client here. (1.9gb)

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. bobb says:

Last time i checked it desnt had an replay system. Have they implemented it?

2. Dude says:

My only grip with men of war is that the coop multiplayer doesn’t let you choose which unit you and your mate get, they are usually mixed all over the front line which make it difficult to coordinate defense/assault without a major reshuffle of your troops. Shame really because the game is great but the coop is a bit of a mess.
    That and the stealthy part of the game, god those one are tedious….

• mrmud says:

You can give units to your friend. So you could theoretically do that, only problem is that it takes quite a bit of time when there are loads of units around.

3. Isometric says:

This is a good excuse as any for me to reinstall and try the dynamic campaign…thingy AND finally try the MP while i’m at it.

4. Rich says:

I bought this when it was stupidly cheap on D2D. Maybe I should actually play it, instead of messing around with Imperium Galactica 2.

• Fede says:

Oh, good old Imperium Galactica 2!
      Now I wish to reinstall it, instead of playing MoW MP :)

• Rich says:

Only just discovered I can run it at 1280×960 by editing the .ini file, and apply FSAA through the Catalyst Control Centre. I’ve just got to remember to turn FSAA back to ‘application controlled’, when I play anything serious. Else my PC will probably melt.

• Nimic says:

Imperium Galactica II, what a great game. I bought it (twice), but I lost the CD’s. I might download it, but is it even possible to play in Windows 7?

• Rich says:

You can on XP.

I think the same process can be applied to Win7.
      Apparently the skirmish mode doesn’t work.

5. AndrewC says:

I completed the first level of this! I have never loved anything so much that I have been so bad at before, apart from my first girlfriend.

6. Pew says:

That’s a great promotion. Sadly, I sucked at Men of War really badly.

Also, Imperium Galactica 2! I should play that instead if the discs still work!

7. Sarlix says:

I wonder if the client comes with any sort of tutorial level? I can’t imagine going straight into a multiplayer game without having played it before. I’ve done that before and got crushed within minuets…Never again…Oh no…..Never again.

8. TychoCelchuuu says:

This is such a wonderful, amazing game. The depth and complexity is overwhelming at first but I think it strikes the perfect balance. Nothing feels better than capturing a knocked-out enemy tank, repairing it, and turning it against them, or setting a building on fire to drive the enemy into an open field that you’ve got a mortar sighted on, or sneaking behind their lines and blowing up their artillery with a scout. They made their engine so detailed that there’s all this crap you can do just by virtue of the game allowing you to do it: driving through houses, blowing open a wall to get at the people behind it, picking up body armor from dead assault troopers, refueling your flamethrower with vehicle fuel… fun stuff. I just wish they’d spend more time patching it and less working on the sequel (although I guess there aren’t many bugs as it stands).

9. Heliocentric says:

I’m disapointed. I was hoping for an iron man account of a grueling war where the war was fought over many days in real time. ie calls for supplies take days to arrive.

10. Taione says:

I really liked this game multiplayer, but the game seemed to devolve into heavy tank slugfests any time you were playing more than 1v1s. But I still love it, I couldn’t go back to company of heroes after playing MOW, it just didn’t feel right any more.

• Sarlix says:

I think I’ll finish off COH first then.

• Heliosicle says:

the infantry combat is pretty important, seeing as a squad of infantry can easily take out a big tank, especially if they have rockets. While its true late game can devolve into heavy tank slugfests, thats usually only if you’re playing Soviets vs Germany, for it to be really balanced in a game you need to use all the options you have.

• KP says:

that COMPLETELY depends on the game settings. If you have a high point count and payback on, yes it will. I play with friends on a moderate point count and no payback. points reach maximum about mid-game and you have to be cautious about how you spend them. It’s like a blackjack game of brinkmanship. Go to low and you might get overpowered. Commit too much and you’re wrecked. So fun.
      To me Men of War is right up there with Total Annihilation for absolutely awesome RTS games. and I still play TA in Spring. :D

11. Rich says:

“In the lead up to the 65 th anniversary of Victory in Europe day…”

Shouldn’t they have run this from mid April to 8/9th May?
    I’m just sayin’

12. Vague-rant says:

How hardcore is Men of War multiplayer? I own the game, but I’m not a great player (never really put the time in it to be honest), and I remember distinctly being crushed repeatedly by like the second level on medium… Might give multiplayer a whirl, on the assumption that newbie players are marginally worse than me.

13. DIOakaNightmare says:

“Shouldn’t they have run this from mid April to 8/9th May?”
    This promotion is from 1-th to 23d in Russia which is more logical. Maybe there were some technical problems with international release.

14. Sam says:

Co-op MoW is the best. The best. Best way to learn in co-op is to dawdle in the first part of the first mission playing with all the controls/movement options/camera options/trading units, etc. Learning all of this with a friend makes it a lot more fun and go a lot faster.

15. Nimic says:

Is this any good, then? Also, is it possible to just jump straight into it assuming one has at least a minimum of strategy-experience?

• Jim Rossignol says:

I think you could just jump in, yes. But, equally, it’s pretty hardcore.

• JB says:

And as Jim forgot to say it, I’ll do it. Yes, it’s very good.

• Nimic says:

Hmm.. guess there’s only one way to find out if I like it or not. I do like the look of it, definitely. One small question though; am I likely to get yelled at for not immediately grasping all the intricacies and nuances of the game?

16. Carra says:

Original way to celebrate the end of the war. I bet that now the other publishers wish they thought of it first.

17. Heliosicle says:

Been playing a lot of multiplayer recently, really fun, although the hit chances are a bit messed up at the moment, and the US mostly suck, really good fun though!

• Heliosicle says:

take that back, just played a 2v2 and destroyed the Japanese, go US!

• Taione says:

The US also have the beastly M19, which you can get very early on into the match. It rips through anything up to a heavy tank, demolishes buildings and rips though infantry. It’s great, unless you’re on the receiving end of it.

18. Neut says:

I once took out a friend’s heavy tank by charging a bike with a flamethrower troop towards it and setting its fuel on fire. He was not happy. I love this game. :D

19. Schaulustiger says:

I’m going to reiterate my complaint with MoW multiplayer again: I want the timescale slider from the singleplayer campaign!

Sadly I’m too old and lose track of what’s going on all over the vast battlefields in normal speed.

20. Collic says:

Men Of War ! Any Men of War coverage is a very good thing. I need to start playing it again.

21. Redd says:

How long did you guys have to wait to get a key?

22. HYPERPOWERi says:

This reminded me that I already own MoW but have never yet played it.

Up to the third mission now. Barely scraped through the second mission on easy difficulty!

Fantastic game — favourite RTS in terms of gameplay.

On the other hand, some of the worst voice acting I’ve ever heard. (:

“The Germans have taken the pump station! They’re putting PRESSURE on us!”

Also softcock rock during cut scenes. Surreal.

23. Phried says:

@HYPERPOWERi

Wait ’til you get to the Bourne style bit, where on of the main characters (of the Russian campaign)… well… you’ll see (unless you’re already there).

• HYPERPOWERi says:

Just finished that mission. That cut-scene you are referring to — wow. It’s the stuff of “so bad that it’s good”.

The mission on the other hand was pretty fun! Very much Commandos, without even being bad at what Commandos did.

Now, how the HELL do I survive the Sevastopol mission? I managed to evacuate 5 out of 12 ships before getting steamrolled. On easy! Depressing.