Less Easy Than ABC: Canabalt Typing Tutor

By Jim Rossignol on May 10th, 2010 at 1:32 pm.

Highly agile reader Christopher Webb points us to this: Canabalt Typing Tutor Edition. Not exactly Typing Of The Dead, but it’s a neat remix of the one-button game concept. It starts off slow and unchallenging but, well, let’s just say it picks up its pace as you go. Touch typing improved? Maybe.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Brumisator says:

I don’t think any typing tutor will ever beat Typing of the dead, it’s just so damn good.

Still, nice little revival concept to draw attention once again to a nice little flash game

2. the wiseass says:

I’m sorry I liked Canabalt just like anybody else, but I really don’t see the added benefit in this. It feels tacked on, artificial and doesn’t blend very well with the game. I’d even say it betrays the original one-button concept. Not to mention that the game was even hard enough with only that one button…

But who am I to criticise, I’m glad for the original so thanks for that :)

3. Tei says:

It would be a bit too geeky to declare yourself to a woman useing a game like this one that compse the words “I love you, do you want to marry me?”. If see is not good enough to complete the full phrase, then is not good enough for you. ( note: This is better than my old system to select ladies: Do you programm in assembler? )

• the wiseass says:

So I’m not good enough for you then, because I can’t spell the full phrase in game. This make me infinitely sad :( Oh Tei you heart-breaker!

Vitamin Powered says:

The artist for threepanelsoul famously made a game for his girlfriend that, when she finished, delivered his marriage proposal (and yes, she did say yes. Nawwww….)

There are a few screenshots of the game around somewhere on the internet, but I believe they deliberately didn’t release the game.

4. Oak says:

Tei is adorable.

5. Pew says:

Nothing will ever beat the Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (sp?) shareware thing that once came with a PC Format or PC Gamer cd-rom in the 90’s. So amazing!

6. Pani says:

If it automatically did the jumping for you at the right place when you hit the correct key, that would be a better typing tutor, as it is, I don’t really like this version. I’ll stick with the original.

7. Robyrt says:

Good idea but Canabalt doesn’t actually test the skills you’ll need for touch typing. Because the timing is so variable, you can either look down and visually confirm the next letter (which doesn’t teach anything) or you have to hit random letters really quickly (which doesn’t simulate typing actual words, and thus doesn’t teach good habits or muscle memory).

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing has a good implementation of the same system.

8. Bassism says:

Man, when I heard the concept it sounded so much cooler in my mind than the game randomly changing the jump key every few seconds.

Ah well.

• Primar says:

Yeah, I was hoping it would be type word > complete next obstacle. This is just… a bit rubbish, unfortunately. :(

Oh well.

9. westyfield says:

I’m useless at this. I can’t find a key with my left index finger, which is the one I instinctively use when playing this game. Using all my fingers (like when typing) feels so very wrong in this situation.

10. Ole says:

Did you try free online touch typing course from http://www.typingstudy.com ?