Counter-Strike’s Modern Warfare

By Alec Meer on May 11th, 2010 at 10:01 pm.

The quiet giant that is Counter-Strike: Source doesn’t get talked about outside of its playerbase all that much these days -we’ve got our newfangled Team Fortresses and Modern Warfares instead – but it is nonetheless massive, has always been massive, and always will be massive. This is only going to make it more massive, I suspect. Valve have unexpectedly chucked out a pretty major update for it, cannily carrying a ‘beta’ tag. It is fatted with several of the digi-trinkets we tend to expect from modern shooters, which may put to bed calls for a full Counter-Strike 2.0 for a while. Or equally it might be exacerbate them, in a strange inverse of the Left 4 Dead 2 response. The internet’s famous Fear Of Change will doubtless play its part in the response to this too. Regardless, this is the exciting tale of the exciting tape: Achievements! Avatars! Death cam! Lifetime stats! Domination/revenge system! Some sort of graphical jiggery-pokery!

Oh lordy-lord, those servers will be on fire tonight… However! The sad fact is that Steam currently proclaims “thank you for your interest. All available slots have been filled.” So if you hadn’t snagged the update already, you’ll have to wait either until the final version releases – which, I suspect, won’t be far off, so as to take full advantage of hype machinations – or more ‘slots’ are opened up. In any case, full details of this significant and forum-adrenalising update are below.

144 achievements added
New lifetime player stats and summary screens
New match player stats and summary screens
New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
New cinematic death camera
New domination and revenge system
Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
Incorporated many source engine updates
New playable team: counter-counter-terrorists

In other Valve news, Steam For Mac finally opens tomorrow, initially offering Portal and Torchlight. Here’s the official blurb:

“May 11, 2010 – Valve announced that Steam will launch on the Mac platform this Wednesday, May 12.

On subsequent Wednesdays, additional collections of Mac titles will become available, each designed to highlight specific functionalities of Steam on the Mac.

The first collection of Mac titles will demonstrate “Steam Play,” which allows customers to purchase a game once and play it on all Steam supported platforms. Gamers who have previously purchased games on Steam will find them available in their account on the Mac as they are released.

Portal, in addition to supporting Steam Play, will be the first of Valve’s Source engine based games available on the Mac. Native OS/X support for the Source engine is also available immediately to licensees for use in their games.

Among the initial titles available on Wednesday will be Runic Games’ critically acclaimed Torchlight. “We’re very excited to be bringing Torchlight to the Mac,” said Max Schaefer, co-founder of Runic Games. “Having Steam for the Mac solves so many problems for us as a developer. We look forward to our future games coming out on the Mac as well.”

In addition to bringing the online functionality of Steam to the Mac, Valve will also make its Steamworks suite of publishing and development tools available on the Mac platform. These include product key authentication, copy protection, auto-updating, social networking, matchmaking, anti-cheat technology, and more. The features and services available in Steamworks are offered free of charge and may be used for both electronic and tangible versions of games.”

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Javier-de-Ass says:

what a worthless update

• Samuel Bigos says:

Sounds good to me…

Sure you’ll get hardcore players saying ‘omg what have you done to our game adding all these avatars and dominations’, like there were when they did this with DoD:S.

I just /care

• Vinraith says:

@Samuel

I wasn’t aware there was anyone still playing CS:S that wasn’t hardcore.

• Samuel Bigos says:

Wasn’t implying otherwise :)

• Thermal Ions says:

@Samuel

I’d have thought CSS players would love the domination part, and any achievements that are sufficiently challenging enough to give bragging rights on their leetness.

• Josh says:

You know with the source engine update to css “hitboxes” will be fixed. They will more closely follow the actual model.
      This equals more pew pew and less qq

2. robrob says:

Can’t wait to play as the mysterious counter-counter-terrorists.

• DJ Phantoon says:

The kitchen has had ENOUGH of this incessant war! Counter Terrorists eat so messily! And Terrorists don’t even USE kitchens! (They bring sack lunches.)

It’s time for Counters to band together to fight Counter Terrorists!

• Olympia says:

If you played rats there have already been counter counter terrorists

3. noom says:

Bluhhh… this update is bad for me. It’s like danging a bag of crack infront of Pete Doherty.

4. TCM says:

“New playable team: counter-counter-terrorists ”

whaaaaaaaaaat

• M_the_C says:

@TCM

I’m guessing you get to stand outside the political building of your choice protesting the actions of the Counter-Terrorists. Microphones will be mandatory of course, for collective chanting and the warm up round will become the slogan writing round.

• Carra says:

Well, this leaves them the option to add the counter-counter-counter terrorists in the next patch.

• Mr_Day says:

I was under the impression that counter-counter terrorists are known by the name: Terrorists.

A cynical part of me thinks they are renaming the terrorist team for some reason.

5. Oak says:

New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player

PwN4geSn1p3r69 has logged 73.4 hrs in Flora’s Fruit Farm™.

6. Nige111 says:

Just incase you didn’t get in the beta.

steam://validate/260

• Lizardman says:

@Nige111 Brilliant, cheers for that!

• Lizardman says:

Ehh.. Preload complete? Rubbish. Guess it doesn’t work then.

• HermitUK says:

Far as I can tell, this will let you download the client, but you can’t actually play it. It just sends you to the store page where they gave out beta invites.

7. Skusey says:

I think this’ll make me start playing it a bit more, if only for the influx of other new/returning people that it’ll bring. I haven’t played t for a while but don’t think I’ve ever finished higher than last.

• ShroomS says:

Ok first of all iv played half-life cs 1.0-1.6 cz and source . You cant make souce in the cs we all know, well the old time players the one that should be able to speak in this crap your trying to make . I thank u should let everyone play it and send a vote to every player and dont do it in game plz we all know how that turns out , alls i can say is i thank ur making a big mistake I dont i dont have the beta. Note that im trying not to be a dic? in all of this because this is the only thing i care to be heard on , souce was to waggy and the maps r 2 small i close and roll my when i pop sumone thew the wall to the head , just make cs3 and do it right make it look good and real, big maps , small head plz it get boring close rang , and the reg y was it put on the shelf like that come on tryhard go pro shiiiii? fix that plz . well if u cant do that just make a new cs dudes u know u want to, but i slacked on the beta ill be keeping up with it ketcha latter now u got me paying attition now that ur messing it up i thank i want to check it out first . aka MushoomHead OUT~

8. HermitUK says:

Wonder if this is related to the Mac release, actually. Maybe they’ve only ported over the Orange Box version of Source, so stuff like CSS needs updating to work over on Apple’s side.

No evidence for that, of course, but if that’s the case we might finally also see the HL2/Ep1 updates with HDR and achievements, which would be nice too.

9. DeliriumWartner says:

Me? I’m waiting for the counter-counter-counter-terrorist update.

10. durr says:

New playable team: counter-counter-terrorists

Is that some kind of advanced British humor that is lost on me again?

11. Rick says:

Sounds like the same deal Day of Defeat: Source got. That game just got abandoned, despite promises for an imminent update dealing with minimum “low hanging fruit” a few years ago.

• rocketman71 says:

@Rick: yep. We’ve been waiting a FULL YEAR for an update that’s finished already. Apparently, Valve is just too occupied to release it.

Every three TF2 patches they break something in DoD:S, though, so we don’t really get bored. And they don’t always fix what they break.

12. Sagan says:

The counter-counter-terrorists thing has got to be a joke.

Don’t really know what to think about this update. It’s nice I guess. It’s just that I don’t think that CS:S players wanted this, and aren’t going to be grateful for it. They have been playing the same game on the same maps for years. They don’t want change. Even if it might be good change.

Fun fact: Counter Strike is still the most played game on Steam if you combine Counter Strike and Counter Strike: Source.

• The_B says:

From my experience so far tonight, this is true.

• DJ Phantoon says:

They… don’t want change?

CS:S PLAYERS HATE OBAMA! And… everything else. I mean goddamn. They’re what Halo players aspire to be. Like if they remade the movie 12 Angry Men, it would be a 6v6 CS:S game where everyone was so full of hatred for the other players they all stop playing the game just to spend time MAD.

13. Lizardman says:

I have to say, after years of playing CSS, I’m incredibly dubious over this new update. I honestly don’t think any of this stuff is truly needed, or wanted by the community. Not only that, the potential change of the games balance is going to wreak havok for all the competetive players.

I just hope it’s all reversable.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Highly doubt that. None of the HL2DM/TF2/L4D/L4D2 updates are reversible. Once the main game is updated you’ll be stuck with it.

14. The Only Person Who Still Plays Empire Earth says:

Valve hates Day of Defeat Source.

• rocketman71 says:

Totally agree. And hey, I still play Empire Earth!. Love the chinese when playing deathmatch with the expansion in tiny maps ;)

• Sarlix says:

Valve might, but a lot of other people don’t. It’s not uncommon for me to have to queue 10mins to join my fav server.

15. terry says:

I suspect the Steam forums will be somewhat lively tonight.

16. Amqz says:

Ha! I’m in the beta. Jealous much?

17. Blight - majk_ says:

Hopefully they fix the flaws with peeker advantage.

18. dog says:

that sounds cool and interesting… theres going to be a fucking riot, isn’t there?

i’m sure theres written internet law somewhere that you can’t change CS and you must only play 3 maps in permanent rotation… break those laws and the world may well end…

19. The Walker says:

…Don’t half the currently running servers have these features hacked into them anyway? I don’t see why the community would be angry about it.

20. The_B says:

Playing the Counter Strike Source beta is like introducing electricity to cavemen. They don’t know what it is, but they want it dead.

21. Schmung says:

The CS/CSS community is (in my experience) is made up near-exclusively of reclusive bitchy moaning types who fear and loathe even the most minor change to their outdated and tedious game, so I have to wonder why Valve is trying to inflame them by doing this.

• Deuteronomy says:

NIce troll.

• Psychopomp says:

Valve are master trolls.

• Monchberter says:

He’s right. CS is the problem that was built to rectify. Appalling closed minded elitism. Shame TF2′s becoming this way too on certain servers.

• Monchberter says:

that ‘TF2′ was built to rectify

• Schmung says:

Exactly. It was fun way back when, but better games have come and gone since then and it retains a player base of rabid fans who fear any sort of change, so I don’t see why Valve have plumbed money and effort into making changes to it when all it’s going to do is piss off the fanbase. Maybe it’s their way of trying to make the remainder of CS players go off and try something new?

22. Sph1nx says:

Lol yeah this won’t end well… I’m a huge CSS whore but, idk, I think it might be nice for a change, but I can see where it could go bad.. And wtf is “counter counter terrorist”?! I actually can’t tell if it’s a joke, that’s not good.

23. Space-Pope says:

Maybe this update will breath some much-needed life back into CS, and people will actually play Counter-Strike instead of CS with their Zombie-Warcraft-Gungame mods.

While I’m still dreaming, maybe they’ll also play some maps besides Aztec, Dust/Dust2, and Office.

24. Anthony says:

I might lurk the CSS forums just to enjoy the inevitable bitchfest.

25. Tom OBedlam says:

I don’t really play enough CSS to have much of an opinion here, but it seems a little peculiar for Valve to have done this, feels faintly me-too. Domination and the ilk fit with the cartoony world of TF2, but I’d always thought the CSS world was a bit grittier than that.
    I’ll be interested in giving it a bash when it comes out though.

26. Vandelay says:

I don’t really understand where the hate for this would come from. Aren’t all the changes merely cosmetic? The only thing that could be gameplay changing is the counter-counter-terrorist side, but that could mean anything and I imagine would only be in a particularly game mode if it is a gameplay change anyway.

I know there are some people that just want to get angry about anything, but this just looks like Valve are wanting to update the game so that it will be a bit more welcoming to new comers.

• Tom OBedlam says:

The counter-counter terrorist bit is a joke :)

• tycho says:

On some maps I think a third team would work well – shame they won’t try it.

These updates could be a way of seeing what the player-base likes/doesn’t like in preparation for a new CS.

27. stahlwerk says:

Yay, Torchlight! I hope Runic has the same “buy for Windows, play on OS X” policy that Valve promised for their games. No wait, I hope they don’t because that would totally wreck my productivity. Up until now my MacBook has been a 99% gaming-free rock of cold, hard work-related things. Although I am curious how they will pull it off, keeping the progress of multiple platforms in sync.

Also, come on, Valve: Mac OS X is not related to OS/2 in any way, shape or form. Get yer trademarks straight!

28. Tei says:

Is the community thing. Seems CS create it in a natural way.

29. TheLordHimself says:

Counter-Strike was the best FPS game I have ever played. Anyone who has been in a 1 on 1 situation in a clan game that mattered will say the same. The tension that game could build was just awesome. I still miss it now – but I doubt it will ever be the same. CS:S was pretty good too when it finally got tuned. As for the update, it will be fun, but I doubt it will make much difference.

I do find it pretty funny (and slightly heart warming) that it is still annihilating most of the competition in regard to stats. Only the AAA $$$ of MW2 can topple it, and even then its hardly a large lead it has.

30. juicedup says:

this is amazing i love counter strike even though i only bought it in december this is just what the game needed

31. Monchberter says:

It’s a few perfunctory add ons and some compatibility stuff to make sure it’ll run on a Mac. Personally this is fine with me. Dipping back into CS made me realise why I bailed on it a good few years ago.

32. Kast says:

*Looks back and forth between this and the second-most-recent article* Introducing Sam Fisher as the Counter-Counter-Terrorist team.

33. the wiseass says:

COUNTER-COUNTER-TERRORIST-TERRORISTS! (sorry I had to join the fun)

34. Stabby says:

NEEDS MORE HATS

35. boredgamer says:

Did CS:S just jump to the 5th position of the Steam Top 10 because of this update?

36. psyMynor says:

I really can never take numbers for MW2 seriously sometimes. Or any other high-profile game, that isn’t an MMO. After all the years that have passed, Counter Strike (and other games of its caliber) still exist. After all the dust has settled on a new title, they always come home. It just happens that the familiar place of video games for quite a few folks is Counter Strike. For me? If I wasn’t so attached to Dystopia at the moment I probably would go back for that fifth or sixth time. I know eventually I will go back, but I’ve accepted it now. I can checkout if I want to, but I never leave.

37. Aemony says:

So, how can I get a Mac in a day so I can try out Steam Play?

38. msarge says:

CSS probably still wont work with my crappy router. I still can never connect to games.

39. PleasingFungus says:

@Alec Meer: TROLL SUCCESSFUL. Well done!

40. Jimmy says:

I am still loading up CS:S a few days a week to play 51 player zombie mods on a server where the names are now very familiar. By right, I should switch to TF2 but it doesn’t seem worth it now until it is repackaged or on offer. Where is it at? Where is it going to be?

Looking at the CS:S beta video, it’s a bit weird going back to de_dust in 2010, but the community maps for the mods, usually based on movie sets, are great and basically keep giving new life to the game engine (mod of a mod). The maps are usually sourced from FPS banana.

41. RedFred says:

Jesus Valve. Keep flogging that Half Life horse.

Shameful attempt to cash in on MW2 success clearly.

Although free updates can’t really be complained about.

• Real Horrorshow says:

Implementing features that were brought to the Source engine in 2007 with TF2 which came out pretty much the same time as CoD4…is a shameless “cash-in” on the poplarity of MW2?

……………………………what?

Being a PC gamer, I too know the joys of being angry about irrelevant or minor bullshit is fun, but put some logic into your AIM’ing in the future.

• RedFred says:

So the timing is just a bizarre coincidence?

42. Jonathn says:

Wow. Some harsh language. And I took that offensive.
    -JJW-

43. Snooglebum says:

I have a feeling this is a setup for a new game announcement, like the Portal ARG. Counter-Counter Terrorists is just too silly to be real.

44. ThunderPussy says:

Seems like valve is trying to reach out to COD fans?? That is a fail in itself considering most people who play cod are gay for it and think any other fps is….’gay’. I have a feeling that most CSS players won’t be very stoked about this-they don’t want their Counter Strike getting a COD paint job if you know what I mean.

45. Magic H8 Ball says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    what a worthless update

46. natahx says:

I dont belive that CSS can evolui more that that

47. Magic H8 Ball says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    I dont belive that CSS can evolui more that that

Oh come on. There are still counter-counter-counter-terrorists.

48. CS:S Anon says:

Just played CS:S beta. So much fail. Remember the complaints when CS:S first started rolling? “Oh these hitboxes suck!” or “These guns are inaccurate!” or “Why the hell do I clip into other players?!”, yeah. That’s what CS:SB brought back. Only now, it’s worse.

49. Sarlix says:

From Aztec to Dust and militia’s a must. So this is how it goes.

AWP Whore, AWP Whore I hear you cry, for this alone you shall die.

Campers here and Campers there, why do you play the game unfair.

Flash bang Flash bang in the pan, you’d better rush em while you can.

Oh Counter Strike Counter Strike I hate you so, the best years of my life you did know.

Endless hours of endless rounds of endless moaning of endless frowns.

Down the vents and out again, make up your mind man or we’ll lose again.

Deagle and shotgun is all I need, lets storm the front before they see.

Smoke in their eyes and in mine, get the hostages while there’s time.

• Shadow Aspect says:

Sarlix, I don’t know if that’s just ripped from elsewhere, but it’s beautiful! :)

• plugmonkey says:

It is indeed.

It almost makes me want to play it again.

But it’s never been the same since they gimped the chaingun in about 2002. :(

• Sarlix says:

@Shadow Aspect

Yes it was ripped from my heart :)

As much as I did once love CS I know I can never go back, my little poem there is an expression of my pain lol.

@plugmonkey

I know how you feel.

50. Tei says:

Counter Strike survived the ones like HALO.

OOOHRAY PC GAMES!