Open Your Eyes, Time To Wake Up: Enough

By Kieron Gillen on May 11th, 2010 at 10:10 am.

This image is a Stalinist-revisionist-edit on the  real game. YOU UNDERSTAND WHY!!!!!

Among the people I met at Gamecamp was splendidly-fringed J. Nash obsessive Kerry Turner who was simultaneously pleased and a little bemused by the glowing commentaryand angry debate around the results of her weekend play with Flixel. The game in question is Enough, a teeeny little art game about inevitability which reverses the usual survival-is-triumph motif of videogames to John Walker-esque effect. Very quick to play, and worth doing so. But Up to Jump, Kerry? What would Amiga Power say?

(They’d be fine, as there’s another option. BUT STILL)

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ian says:

Cheery way to start the day.

“Who cares? THE BATS ARE GOING TO GET YOU EVENTUALLY.”

• Taverius says:

That’s something that should browbeaten (with hammers) into all children, so I think we should add this game to our elementary school curriculum.

2. Daniel Klein says:

This game raises so many questions! Like, how can a rabbit that is so tired jump so high? Are they crows or bats? (One would assume crows, what with the crowing, but they do look… batty). And why oh why did Miss Turner turn off the movement animation when the rabbit hits the left or right edge of the playing field? I looked at that movement loop and I was like, hey, if I run up against the edge of the screen I’m sure I can make it look like that rabbit’s humping something! But no, no fun for me.

I’ve also spoken to the delightful auteur (autrice?) of this, and yeah, I pretty much understood that she meant neither harm nor art when making this, so I’m finding the whole spectrum of reactions deeply amusing. Still going with my “the annoyed ones are secretly rabbits” theory.

3. Jae Armstrong says:

Up to jump is a plague upon all that is good and pure in the world.

Especially when it’s on an analogue stick. Guh.

Hodge says:

Am I the only one who likes up-to-jump? To the point where I often re-map the controls in MAME and similar to reflect my preference?

(though as Jae said, it is indeed rubbish on analog sticks… or joypads in general, really)

• minipixel says:

up to jump FTW! :D

4. Cinnamon says:

Never seen a better art bomb about gambling addiction and child slave labour in my life. This literally touched the bottom of my soul and stirred it thoroughly with some tears and a pinch of artificial sweetener. Two Eberts up.

5. Cooper says:

To be honest, I’m not sure it made a better point about inevitability (in games) than those like The Linear RPG, Progress Quest or Worst Game Ever which don’t need to reverse any motiffs to comment on inevitability and bloody mindedness. Cute little thing for a Tuesday morning though.

AndrewC says:

Are the commenters at Play This Thing…always like that?

• RobF says:

Although that’s also one of Dugan’s more lucid reviews too, it has the words in the right order and everyfink.

7. Magic H8 Ball says:

On a side note, anyone remembers the name of that short Mario-like game where you couldn’t get any of the coins and the ending teached an important life lesson?

• Reverend Speed says:

Life is Hard.

Er. Retro-active Spoiler Warning. Try to forget the comment above this.

GOD, it’s good. Looking forward to trying the topic game…

• Reverend Speed says:

Hmm.

Seems rather bland, for a parody/commentary game. Methinks Life is Hard and You Have To Burn The Rope make their points with a little more thought and panache.

Enough? No. Assignment incomplete. Must do better.

As an aside, found the following while wandering le internets. Would argue it’s more poignant, pointed and pathetic than Enough, even if that wasn’t the designer’s objective.

Can you hold it?

Can you?

8. GibletHead2000 says:

Christ, that Chumbawamba reference brings back some memories…

9. pimorte says:

@ Taverius

Better yet, educate the public.

10. robrob says:

On the third day the bats are released.

• Kieron Gillen says:

“After thirty-days the bats are released”, I think you’ll find.

Best thing John ever wrote, frankly.

KG

• NukeLord says:

I suppose it pays to be prepared though right? Get some practice in before the bats ARE released.

Though maybe spending the time gathering more supplies would be preferable to hiding on the third day thinking the bats are already here.

11. Tei says:

Enough don’t resonate on me. Bats? looks like a game that need a Perl script that scan the screen and automatically move the bunnie for yourself, so It never dies. Done, you have beat the game. Next problem, next machine (or perl script).

Cheating is the meaning of life. Theres not impossible problem you can’t solve modifing the question to able a answer that is not-impossible.

Some will argue the universe will ultimatelly die, the bunnie will ultimatelly die. Is not my problem, I just have to cope with the part of meaning that fit on my life. I don’t have to resolve the meaning of life for everybody forever, I just have to resolve my part. Life is a process, not a result.

• Daniel Klein says:

If I was Kerry Turner and releasing this game as a triple A box release, I’d put this quote on the back.

AndrewC says:

Tei is a deep-cover gold-farming shill.

• P7uen says:

You obviously only unlocked one of the endings.

• Daniel Klein says:

Perhaps his quote could be improved if we put a 9/10 under it?

• Tei says:

“You obviously only unlocked one of the endings.”

I have A answer, not all answers.

12. Saucy says:

Flixel houses the consciousness of reality’s most pretentious eldergod.

It forces people to make pretentious games.

And when there’s a enough pretentiousness in the world it will manifest itself as a blob of pure pretentiousness and feast on human flesh.

Think of the human race. Don’t use flixel.

13. Wulf says:

Hm… most art games I tend to get, but playing this one just made me want to play Minus again.

I don’t know why!

14. plant42 says:

I’m getting a little tired of these. Clever and ironic? Sure. Fun? No.
    Are these games intended for hipsters?

15. FernandoDante says:

This is the worst of these “you die anyway” indie games. At least that game where you’re a Mario-ish dude who smashes his head on a block was FUNNY. But THIS…this looks like a developer wanted to make a joke:

“I’ll make the stupidest, least fun flash game ever, put in some pseudo-meaning, write 4 lazy sentences, and watch all the critics praise it”.

Methinks you guys give too much attention to this sort of thing.

16. duel90 says:

Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming:

“Holy Jesus. What are these goddamn animals?”
    “Did you say something?”
    “Hm? Never mind. It’s your turn to drive. ”

No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.

17. Tei says:

Yea, but what about the bats LIFE? where are the bats wen offscreen?

Hodge says:

I liked it. As others have pointed out it’s been done before, but it says its piece quickly without banging on about it (at first I took its extremely short length as a sort-of-admission that it’s covering well-trodden ground, but I’m probably reading too much into it).

I like that the avatar pleads the player to stop, even as (s)he carries out the player’s actions. Stating the obvious, I know, but off the top of my head I can’t think of many other games which have really explored that idea.

19. geldonyetich says:

Meh. Modern art is a little too easy. Once you’ve challenged the viewer to make greater sense of your work, they’ll do most the work for you.

20. Bowlby says:

Why would bats attack a rabbit?

Personally, I think this is an amateurish and lazy piece of work.

21. Soylent Robot says:

they are CROBATS

22. Yossarian says:

Didn’t the Onion satirically this (or something similar) a few years ago?

23. Magic H8 Ball says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    I’m getting a little tired of these. Clever and ironic? Sure. Fun? No.
    Are these games intended for hipsters?

24. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Not that clever, even. I feel it could do so much better bringing the same point across.. by being.. well.. a whole different thing. Not like this.