Mafia II: The Enviddening

By Alec Meer on May 12th, 2010 at 11:49 pm.

Mafia II is the year’s most anticipated game about watching lavish cutscenes, driving to places and shooting people then watching more lavish cutscenes before driving to places and shooting people. Expect vast quantities of gloss and pizazz from this one. Oooh, I’ve never written the word ‘pizazz’ before. It’s fun, isn’t it? Anyway: I believe our man John ‘Giggles’ Walker will be presenting you with a write-up of his forthcoming hands-on time with the PC build in the not-too-distant, but in the meantime here’s a few of the devs (including Czech guys dubbed into English) talking about and, more importantly, demonstrating some of the finer points* of this highly anticipated driving/shooting/watching game.

*I.e. “smashing men’s faces into car doors.”

Sorry about the weird ‘some woman just bit a cop’ thingy on top-right, by the way. It was either this or an age-gated copy off Gametrailers.

« »

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bassism says:

Oh my god, I can’t wait for this to come out.

Mafia is one of my all-time favourite games, and this seems to be better in every respect.

• Qris says:

Except for the cover system and the lack of a lifebar, of course.

• DrGonzo says:

Because life bars are so realistic. As is not being able to hide when people are shooting at you.

Vandelay says:

I don’t get the complaint about the cover system. I spent most of my time hiding behind cover in the original. Now they have just added an animation to accompany it, rather than your character squatting behind a low wall, and you should no longer have those annoying times when the tip of your head is poking over the top. They also seem to really be taking into account the fragility of certain cover, which should encourage some more dynamic play if their claims are true.

• Qris says:

DrGonzo – Lifebars are surely more realistic than magically absorbing hundreds of bullets (three or four at a time) and healing by standing in place behind a cover doing nothing (for example, the newest Call of Duty “games”). As for not being able to hide – I don’t criticize getting into cover during firefights in general, but the overall feel the “cover system shooter games” have nowadays, which I find rather unsatisfying and simply little-to-no fun to perform. (Mafia 1 also had some issues with shooting from cover, but of different matter)
      Vandelay – This little animation makes the whole system somewhat more unrealistic – you are able to see way too much due to the TPP nature of the game. The only annoyance in Mafia 1 was that shooting from cover sometimes resulted in bullets getting stuck in the elements of the environment (even though you were aiming correctly). The fragility of covers, on the other hand, I find as a great concept.

• The Colonel says:

Yeah I agree about the cover system probably being suited to this game. Will never get over the magic regen Gears of Shit health. Ruins games. Sad times.

2. TheLordHimself says:

Literally cannot wait for this game. Its been a long time coming. I hope it is as awesome as it looks.

3. Auspex says:

FYI (do people still say that?) that ’some woman just bit a cop’ links to the stupid Alan Wake’s prequel.
    And yes I was dissapointed when it wasn’t a real woman biting a cop.
    Really looking forward to Mafia II though it looks greats. Also it’s “got shooting and car chasing” which I think we can all agree is “everything a game needs”.

• jameskond says:

Man, I enjoy those prequels for Alan Wake, they have some iffy acting here and there but the concept and what happens is pretty interesting.. jo.

• Auspex says:

I was actually meaning to refer to Alan Wake itself for being stupid (not being on PC and all) but I watched the first episode of those prequels and it was alright as far as game advertising goes but not great by any stretch of the imagination.

4. LewieP says:

“Our gameplay is great, we’ve got shooting, car chasing. Everything a game needs”

5. RedFred says:

This. Looks. Amazing.

6. Mistabashi says:

I never like these ‘developer spotlight’ style promo videos, and this doesn’t really show much more than the cover system and the (admittedly nice looking) destructible scenery. Still, I should probably get around to playing the original before I cast pre-judgement on this.

• LionsPhil says:

At least this one wasn’t full of overblown marketing types telling us how whole paradigms are being redefined by a new AAA product.

7. Buzz_Kiel says:

This game is on the top of my buy list; It’s the first game that I’ve actually anticipated in a long time.

8. LionsPhil says:

Yeargh, what happened to the “turn off annotations” button?!

9. Grape Flavor says:

Wow. This is really near the top of my list. There’s few things more immersive than a masterfully realized open-world game. Between this and Red Dead Redemption (PLEASE come to PC) the genre seems poised for a new golden age, especially given we’re about due for an announcement of a new GTA.

• Isometric says:

You are not alone in wanting Red Dead Redemption to come to PC. I reckon it will with time. Hopefully!

As for Mafia 2 I couldn’t be more excited about this game. It looks like it’s living up to everything I thought it would. c’mon August hurry up!

10. TeeJay says:

While that footage looks great, I’m hoping the camera isn’t too “over enthusiastic” (I am currently playing Tomb Raider Underworld whose stunning visuals are wrecked every ten seconds by the camera having seizures. ‘Context-sensitive’ actions can be cool but to refer to Underworld again I’m finding the fluid rock-climbing and gymnastics is slightly undermined by the ‘one button does everything’ design and the auto-aim-button-mash so-called ‘combat’ with instant reincarnation is dire (but thankfully almost irrelevant to the game so far).

I suppose what I’m saying is that the footage looks good but I’m hoping it turns out to be as fun to control/play.

11. Dr Lulz says:

Yes, but does it have Duke Nukem?

12. Rich says:

That guy’s going to have taste of gun in his mouth for ages.

13. DigitalSignalX says:

Please lord let this run better then GTA 4 … The game looks and sounds utterly amazing.

14. Ian says:

I suppose I’d better dig out the original and try to get past the awful driving bit at the very start.

Vandelay says:

Can’t wait for this. Mafia 1 is still one of my favourite games and this looks like it is doing everything the original got so right.

16. colinmarc says:

Never in your life?

17. westyfield says:

” It was either this or an age-gated copy off Gametrailers.”

I’m glad you chose the Youtube option – I’d have been scuppered if I were forced to admit I’m too young to watch videos of 18-rated games.

18. Klaus says:

Phallic symbolism? I’m sold.

19. Thiefsie says:

They don’t know how to pronounce Mafia properly…