Mod News: Variety Show

By Lewis Denby on May 12th, 2010 at 4:19 pm.

The mod scene’s been impressively varied this week. This means only a quarter of the news below the jump has anything to do with Half-Life 2. That might sound like a lot, but, y’know. We’re usually talking about ABSOLUTE DOMINATION. Still, my favourite snippett comes from Valve’s good old game, and is a delightfully silly new release that manages to be simultaneously awful and brilliant. Whatever could it be? Clicking below will reveal all.

- The first chapter of Half-Life 2 mod Zombie Zoo has been released. I played through this yesterday, and there should be a review up on UserCreated some time today. In short: totally and utterly rubbish, and one of my favourite mods so far this year.

- Also in HL2, Orion’s having a media week, during which it’s posting a load of new stuff to ModDB every day. Here’s the news feed. This is actually looking really promising, with some particularly delightful BIG SPACE ARMOUR demonstrated. Beta 1′s been available for a while, but there are supposedly some decent changes and additions on the way for this version.

- Missed this a while back, so here we go: Dune Wars has a new version released. The Civilization IV mod based on Frank Herbert’s famous novels now has a bunch of new units, buildings, art and game mechanics buried beneath its alien surface, and is apparently excellent.

- Starcraft 2 mod! Already! And it’s Warcraft IV, a “highly ambitious project that will utlilise the immense power of the Galaxy Editor in order to breathe life into the Warcraft RTS series once more.” Sounds nice, but highly ambitious often equals disastrously unfinishable. Isn’t that right, Kieron?

- Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro. VELOCIRAPTOR JOB INTERVIEW SIMULATOR PRO!

- There’s a beta of Crysis mod Momentum out. People were rather hostile about this one last time I mentioned it. Too grey, or something. Not played it yet. Have you?

- FIFA Manager 09 Total Reality Mod is getting ready for the good old foot-to-ball global trophy happenings, and adding other new stuff to boot. Actually, am I allowed to do the “foot-to-ball” gag? I am actually rather fond of football. At least I managed to work in a “boot” gag, too. I am extraordinary. Not to mention extraordinarily sorry.

- Napoleon: Total War’s getting a WW1 mod. Originally in development from Empire, it’s now officially made the switch. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one.

We are actually going to start updating UserCreated more than every couple of days, I promise. Tom and I have been shamefully neglecting the site due to having to write to make money and that, and Orfeo’s off being busy elsewhere. Andrea, bless him, has been blogging like a trooper, and I shall endeavour to join him right away. So do keep checking for modulicious updates.

1. bookwormat says:

I’m not sure if it is a good idea to call a game Warcraft IV if you don’t own the rights to the Warcraft franchise.

• Lacunaa says:

It does seem odd but if blizzard hasn’t patented the name themselves(which would very much surprise me), then he doesn’t really do anything wrong I guess.

• Rich says:

‘Warcraft’ will be trademarked, so calling your mod Warcraft IV will be in breach of their IP.
      They’ll crush them for it, as they always do.

• MWoody says:

Patents protect inventions. Their purpose is to trade full disclosure of a device or implementation for the right to temporarily exclude others from profiting from said device or implementation. After the protection period is up (20 years in the US), the plans return to the public domain. It encourages the sharing of information and allows R&D to be profitable while at the same time making it financially unwise to keep your inventions a secret.

Copyrights protect an original work from being sold or otherwise distributed without permission of the author/artist/creator. Their purpose is to allow artistic work to be profitable, and to make sure the original creator of said work is properly credited for their time and effort. Copyrights in the US have an ever-increasing duration, currently over 100 years.

Trademarks protect a companies’ personal sign, symbol, or any other indication of the source of a product. That would typically include logos, color schemes, taglines, etc. The purpose of a trademark is for the customer to safely identify the source of a product as being from a specific, trusted source. There is no limit to how long a trademark may stand, so long as it is properly registered and updated. If, however, a company does not properly defend its trademark and it falls into public use for any similar item, it can become “genericized” and return to the public domain. Examples of this facet of trademark law include band-aid, thermos, escalator, aspirin, and zipper.

• DrGonzo says:

If you read the discussion on their moddb page they say it’s ok because the full title is Warcraft IV: Starcraft 2. They sound either slightly moronic or more likely 15.

Also, making Warcraft IV is not anything like Keiron’s mod. That was highly ambitious. Warcraft is incredibly generic.

2. LewieP says:

Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro is by Lacabra, aka the guy that Gabe Newell flew to Australia to meet.

3. Duck says:

I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to use an unreleased game as the platform for a fan-created sequel to one of the most-loved RTS games ever and be fully featured.

4. Ian says:

I am a football fan and I want the World Cup to be renamed “Global Trophy Happenings.”

5. Rich says:

Warcraft IV? Blizzard will crush them for that.

6. Sarlix says:

What no Black Mesa? I’m shocked!

7. Jad says:

Man, just read that description of Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro on ModDB and try not to giggle. The word “businessraptor” just about made my day.

8. Tyler says:

It might be worth mentioning that the Dune mod is for Civ4:BTS, not vanilla Civ4.

phuzz says:

Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro, WTF?
    So playing this when it comes out :)

10. Urthman says:

I’d like to repeat the suggestion made before that this column would be more awesome and more useful if you’d clearly break out:

Single Player Playable Releases:

Multi-Player Playable Releases:

Screenshots or other Hype for Unreleased Mods in Progress:

Something like that would help make your column the sort of overview you can’t easily get from just browsing the moddb homepage.

11. Rich says:

Seconded!

12. RedFred says:

The WWI TW mod looks good. Seems quite a functional idea now that TW has gone all guns and what-not. Although trench warfare may be tough to pull off.

What on earth is the Fifa mod about? Does anyone actually play Fifa manager? Football Manager exists people.

13. Mad Doc MacRae says: