Transference: Spoon Gives Goo In A Browser

By Kieron Gillen on May 12th, 2010 at 7:14 pm.

This is an old screenshot. I dig it out, as I'm into retro-chic.

Azazel was nosing at Spoon in a professional capacity, but thought it worth mention because of its gamey-aspects. “It appears to do some virtualization jiggery-pokery which can stream apps to any Windows desktop via a browser,” says he. To which I replied “MOTHERSHIPS!” and he looked at me with the disappointed gaze I’ve learned to suffer. If you want to get the plug-in, it’s here and you can try a load of IGF-esque games. It tried it, and it’s quite literally World of Goo, without installing, after a gap for streaming. I can predict a brave future with less installing in it, but with a gap for streaming. We are quite literally, living in the future.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. DMcCool says:

Ah, so this is how it’ll work then.

2. Psychopomp says:

I had forgotten how splendid World of Goo is.

• Psychopomp says:

Wait, I can stream Chrome…
      Through chrome?

WE’RE DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE, PEOPLE.

• Vague-rant says:

But how far down can you go?

Can you stream chrome from chrome being streamed in chrome?

3. Vague-rant says:

Ah. Anyone having luck with Opera?

Before when I mentioned compatibility, it got a little out of hand, so this time I’ll say; Its not a big deal. Its just a slight inconvenience. Like having to lift a toilet seat. (But for the record it would be so awesome if they could make automatic toilet seats that could tell what you needed. And make more things opera functional)

4. the wiseass says:

I’d take a mothership over a spoon any day (except maybe Sunday afternoons, these are reserved for Kieron’s Sunday papers).

5. AndrewC says:

Is this like that Gaikai stuff that everyone was blathering about a bit ago that was going to remove the need for all PCs and consoles and everything? Only now?

6. phuzz says:

Wowzers, this works pretty well (except world of goo seemed to crash), but just for applications this is interesting.
    Putting on my work hat for a moment, this sort of thing could kill Citrix. And if it allows anyone to run any old app just with a web connection, I might have to tighten up the proxy rules.

7. SpakAttack says:

Tried it, and it majorly crashed my firefox.
    More buggy than a recent Ubisoft release say I…

8. DMJ says:

If this is the future, where’s my hovercar? Eh? Answer me that.

• kalidanthepalidan says:

Or hoverboard! Seriously, the future is lame.

• bildo says:

are you saying hoverboards are lame?

• jon_hill987 says:

It is not 2015 yet, there is still time for both the Hoverboards and Hovercars predicted in Back to the Future: Part II.

• Wulf says:

It’s also interesting that 2015 is one of those dates. With all the things going on currently there are a lot of people who figure we’ll crack artificial intelligence in the year 2015, and that could pretty much change everything.

If they’re right, you might not have hoverboards by 2015, but you might have them soon after. >.>

9. Azazel says:

But can it and a ’96 apple mac take down a mothership together? Only Jeff Goldblum really knows.

Srsly – putting on MY work hat for a sec – this has loads of potential for any kind of multiuser license app virtualization. And cross browser testing! And…

Games!

10. GT3000 says:

SON I AM DISAPPOINT

11. Risingson says:

Great album, Transference. Though critics said that the previous was better, there’s something uniquely fresh in Transference that makes all the Spoon’s songs come alive.

[what a clever wordplay, Kieron!]

12. Rosti says:

This is tres interesting. Might have to install Firefox+Spoon onto a USB stick so I can fall back on these utilities in a pinch. Thanks, Gillen. Thillen.

13. Sam says:

Can I also express my appreciation for the Spoon joke. If the website comes up again, don’t you evah miss an opportunity to make it a second time.

14. Skusey says:

Ohhh so Spoon are a band. I wondered why that title was confusing.

15. TheSombreroKid says:

why would i do this?

16. TheSombreroKid says:

rather than spending 30 seconds installing, i spend 1 minute installing interesting.

17. Cinnamon says:

So instead of installing then starting from windows I can now download a plugin, open a web browser, open a website, click on an app and wait for it to install the use the app? The future is amazing, oh my god. I can hardly believe it. World of Goo is the past though, not the future at all. So I hate World of Goo. World of Boo more like, thing from the past, be more futuristic I say.

18. CLD says:

This is pretty cool. It’s like OnLive, but it’s not.

19. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

World of Goo-Ga-Ga-Ga-Ga?

20. Daniel Klein says:

If this is the future, why aren’t we living under water?

21. malkav11 says:

With the sizes of non-indie games nowadays I don’t see this being practical for the majority of gaming.

• Marcin says:

We’re trying to fix that at Instant Action (shameless plug) with chunking – getting you a part of the game that you can play prior to downloading the rest of it.

22. ActualBuyer says:

Screw this, I want to HAVE the darn game I pay for, and on my HDD.
    I want to see the config files, mod the data and know what makes it up.
    If I buy it, I want to actually HAVE it.

This streaming bollocks is worse than the UBIFAIL server checks and a clear step in the wrong direction of “make everyone a dumb terminal and keep the real power on the other side”.

While a nice idea as an OPTIONAL FEATURE for paying customers so they can play crysis on a netbook on the train, no way do I see any good come from this in terms of player rights and independence.

This is bad.

23. Loin says:

HCU8
    What nobody seems to have picked up on is that this is an interesting thing for people stranded with computers where admin rights are locked. For egg sample, since moving abroad I’m currently stuck with a work laptop and the confines of the oppressive regime of the IT department dictating that I CAN’T INSTALL ANYTHING!

24. valentingalea says:

Just played Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow over this and it’s greeeat!

25. Johnbob says: