Counter-Terrierists: Dogfighter

By Kieron Gillen on May 17th, 2010 at 11:24 am.

The saddest thing in the world is the obsolescence of the tri-plane.

If I even said this game’s title to delightful girlfriend, she’d probably get a little tearful, because she hates to think of the hurting of hounds. But this forthcoming game isn’t about two hungry dogs dropped in the pit in the back of an essex pub. No – Dogfighter’s about plane-shootiness. It’ll be out on June 14th on Steam for twelve quid. Since it’s an unproved dev, I wouldn’t normally post about it pre-release… but its trailer is actually really quite nifty, showcasing its arena-set flight-lunacy. Not as mad as Illusion Softwork’s great-lost-game (NOT REALLY!) Flying Heroes because there’s no teapots of death, but it’s giving it a good shot in a Crimson-Skies-kinda-way.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. negativedge says:

I wish this trailer didn’t have such awful and inappropriate music. Or the needlessly self-serving and antagonistic intro. The footage looks good–everything else makes me wonder about the people behind it. Mixed feelings. Why can’t our game about loopy dogfighting in bright skies and biplanes fancy itself a little more whimsical?

2. Lobotomist says:

I pretty much like it.
    Hope there will be a demo

3. jeremypeel says:

If it’s really NOT A SIMULATOR, it should go the whole way and feature the ability to scurry along the wings of your plane and grapple-shoot your way into other peoples’ crafts, Scorpio-style.

But then I think most games that spend their trailers screaming, “I’M JUST GREAT FUN, ME!!” could benefit from a little Just Cause 2.

4. cliffski says:

the pilots should be dogs though…
    Will there be a demo?

5. Matt says:

Firefighters fight fires… cage fighters fight cages? Cagefighters fight IN cages… dogfighters fight IN dogs…?

6. wm says:

Awful. Everything about it. *shudder*

7. Agrajag says:

Ok, now when is some one going to provide me with an essex pub simulator where you throw two planes in a dark pit?

• jeremypeel says:

Well, the Flight Sim series still has a fairly active modding community…

Love the Hitchhiker’s Guide-related username by the way – I was reliving some of Agrajag’s best lines with my brother only yesterday!

8. bill says:

I never liked crimson skies.
    There. I said it. And it’s weird, because I should have. I love alternate realities, I loved interstate 76. But crimson skies always just annoyed me for some reason. I’d see the nice box, want to play it, start it up, give up mid mission and do something else.

So the series of crimson skies successors has always kinda left me cold.

9. user@example.com says:

If this had an ace combat-style campaign with crazy people in biplanes yelling at each other to dance with the angels it would be amazing. As it is, it looks pretty fun.

10. archonsod says:

Ooooh, I loved Flying Heroes me. There should be more games about fighting dragons in a flying barrel.

• Koozer says:

Flying Heroes was so amazing it’s ridiculous. I was so rubbish I couldn’t get past the second league though. Pity I haven’t been able to get it working since XP…

11. Okami says:

If somebody makes a Snoopy mod for this one, I’ll buy it.

12. LeFishy says:

Gah now you have me wanting some Ace Combat :< Any good PC based alternatives?

• Dominic White says:

Closest match would be Tom Clancy’s HAWX. Unfortunately, it really does feel like a watered-down Ace Combat game. The plot is standard Clancy oorah-america twaddle, and there’s no crazy superweapons to fight.

• user@example.com says:

Depending on what you like about Ace Combat… Thirdwire’s Strike Fighters 2 has a mercenary campaign where you buy planes and fly missions, and the other games in the series can be linked to it so you can buy planes from them as well. On the less-like-Ace-Combat side, it’s a (very) light flight sim, not an arcade flight sim, the graphics aren’t all that good, and you’re more or less flying a sequence of randomly generated missions with no DANCE WITH THE ANGELS, realistic weapons loads, and absolutely no trench runs. Still fun to play with Danger Zone on repeat.

It’s pretty cheap as a download from their online store, though. And supports TrackIR! Just not multiplayer, because making it Vista-compatible broke the guy’s multiplayer code somehow. I haven’t checked up on it recently, that might have been fixed now.

• Dominic White says:

Funny thing – most people who complain about ‘DANCE WITH THE ANGELS’ have repeated the line hundreds of times more than it’s used in the game, and are exponentially more irritating.

It really only occurs a couple of times, and only in one game out of the entire series. But it’s an easily repeatable meme.

• user@example.com says:

I wasn’t complaining about it. “No DANCE WITH THE ANGELS” was one of the bad things about Strike Fighters. It’s one of the reasons I heart Ace Combat so. That, and the ludicrous superweapons, the trench runs, that bit at the end of Ace Combat 5 where half the enemy switch sides and a massive army forms around you…

“LA LA LA LA LA, LISTEN TO MY BEAUTIFUL VOICE! THIS IS AWACS OKA NIEBA!” oh god stop singing awacs crews should never ever sing
      “We just punched out our commander, we’re joining you!”

“Woof woof, woof?” [YES] “Woof!”

13. wedge says:

Freaking Awesome. I’m totally buying this one as soon as it comes out.

14. Anham says:

Reminds me of N-Gen racing on the PS1. god i miss that game

15. Pani says:

I only ever played one flight sim game I really enjoyed and played a lot of and that was Blue Max (or Blue Max: Aces of the great war as I’ve now found out is it’s full title).

16. Noxy says:

One of the devs here…

If we had the rights for that it would be in immediately :). That is AWESOME.

17. Sinomatic says:

@ MRBP *Much* better. And funny to boot.

My little attempt. Not exactly original, I know…

18. Sinomatic says:

Hm, that was meant to be a reply up yonder….

And I messed up the link…..impressive posting there…

19. FluffyM says:

Definitely going to acquire the product discussed here upon release. Well worth the asking price.

20. GameOverMan says:

Too many triangles on screen, they could get rid of the 3D aircraft models and it would be essentially the same game: shoot the red/yellow triangles.

21. Chaz says:

Reminds me a bit of a game that came out some years back where you had to race planes. That involved lots of flying through narrow canyons and stuff. I think it was called Plane Crazy.

22. sleepygamer says:

I… I really quite liked the music. Hell, if they played stuff like that all the way through I’d sit there with a big ol’ grin on my face and a 360 controller in my hands.

23. sell world of warcraft gold says:

haha.. the game title fake me. But I love the sample vid really put my adrenaline into rush. I go find a demo before getting a copy.

24. Kizza42 says:

But But, I wanted a SIMULATOR!!!!

25. gamez says:

DF FTW!

26. PHeMoX says:

I loved Flying Heroes and am probably going to try this game too.

There should be more ‘Quake-style’ flight simulator games like this, as it’s awesome.

I’m also loving Altitude at the moment, such a cool game for a 2D environment.

27. josh huller says:

great indie title, lots of gameplay. great price. keep up the good work

28. tempus singua says:

like the single player modes tournament great practice. online is even better red mines and the volcano level are faaaaaaaaaaaast. best weapon is definitely the viper rifle its headshotastic. many fighterplanes to select all cool and unique. many pickups and upgrades weapons for your fighter. ghost pickup is very powewrful and homing rockets. play using keyboard and controls are fps standard. tried xbox controller it worked but mouse and keyboard is my preferred. music is rock its suited.

overall a cool unique gameplay with cool environments and cooler planes and really cooler weapons. its exactly what I wanted – a newer better faster crimson skies with steam leaderboards and achievements unlocks.

Comment on this story