Defacebook: FarmVillain

By Alec Meer on May 17th, 2010 at 12:59 pm.

Everyone hates FarmVille, apart from the millions of players who adore it. Your endless bitching about it dominating your Facebook feed and how it’s not a proper game and blahblahbloodyblah can now be turned into something like constructive criticism, thanks to gag-app FarmVillain. Pick a comically twisted faux-FarmVille status update, add it to your profile with a click, and confuse/horrify any friends and family who spend all day, everyday collecting sheep.

“You found a dead hooker buried on your farm. Oh my!”

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. CMaster says:

I don’t bitch about it clogging up my news feed.
    When it first showed up, I immediatley hid it, same as I do with every facebook app I couldn’t care less about (98% of them or so).

This does sound fairly amusing though.

• Clovis says:

Yeah, hiding facebook apps is my favorite facebook game.

• fishyjoes says:

My favortie facebook game is closing these adds on the right side and picking “offensive”.

2. MikeBiggs says:

I’d love to give this a whirl, however It’s a facebook app. So it must be ignored!

‘Hi, you want to play my little flash game? Sure thing, just give me access to enough of your personal data to feasibly think about identity theft and you can start playing!’

…. Not cool facebook, not cool.

• d. says:

It doesn’t ask for authorization – which first scared me (“Facebook apps doesn’t need my approval to access my data anymore!??), later upon some investigation, I got calm (“They do, this one just does not access any of my data”), than I got really angry (“Why the fuck do all those other application pretend to need access my data to function?”). Burn them!

• Rich says:

Almost non of them actually need your data. It should* be common knowledge by now that Facebook is a data-mining tool.

*Ah, who am I kidding?

3. scottossington says:

Haha very funny, just dont click the green arrow on the right hand side of the page. I thought it was to install the farmvillian app but instead i got zoo world and now I have to take care of a bald eagle. =(

• Clovis says:

If you don’t log in every day to feed it then it will die, and that makes you a bad person.

4. westyfield says:

“it can be a little chewy.”

Well played, Farmvillain. Well played.

5. Miked says:

Just posted on my ‘wall’ – I await the genuine horror/confusion from my friends

6. Mario Figueiredo says:

I don’t get it. It allows people to ruin others work? Or just your own? Or it does nothing?

(and what in hell am I doing in a farmville thread!?)

7. James G says:

I must admit, I ended up blocking FarmVillian notifications as well. Partly as I had assumed that they were coming from a parody app, which would spam a similar level of notifications as the normal Farmville, and partly because the notification I saw in my feed was not all that funny (a lowbrow bestiality joke) and I really didn’t want to drown in more of them as other people found the app. (Yeah, I’m a moody old codger when it comes to facebook. It probably comes from it still being called thefacebook when I originally signed up.)

Been tightening up my privacy settings and stripping back my facebook a lot recently actually. Didn’t like it when they tried converting all my likes/interests into pages, thereby making them visible; although they’ve now added a setting to stop that from happening. I know it sounds a bit silly comming from someone with a blog and a twitter account, but at least with those I know exactly what I’m sharing and to who. Facebook seems to change their mind with alarming regularity.

Of course, some people don’t seem to mind what they make public:

• bill says:

NOW they’ve added a setting for that?? 3 days after i had to delete all my interests because it tried to make them all public????? Grrr. Unleash the hounds!

• jon_hill987 says:

I don’t get it, I just deleted my interests apparently, I thought I was deleting links to pages but apparently that gets rind of my interests as well? WTF?

• James G says:

Yeah, I cleared away all mine before they gave to option to hide them as well. Don’t like the loss of the ‘free text’ option either (Unless there is some way of fudging it with the new system). Not sure how they are pairing up interests with pages, on friend found herself listed as being interested in Edgar Hoover, Power cables and movement.

8. Eplekongen says:

More Cowbell for your farm!

9. Heliocentric says:

Facebook? You mean the page i go to to play tetris friends once every 6 months? I even use xpadder so i can use a controller.

10. Brumisator says:

So….instead of playing farmville, you play a farmville competitor?
    *snore*

• Jason Moyer says:

You don’t play FarmVillain. It’s an app that lets you update your profile with a funny gag making fun of Farmville. You could of course do this yourself, I guess, but using the App generates a post that looks like a real Farmville status update.

11. Carra says:

Someone explained me how to remove all those farmville spam messages.

But that app looks like fun :)

12. bakaohki says:

“Everyone hates Farmville, apart from the millions of players” – what a subtle oxymoron you have there, sir :)

13. Henk Poley says:

You may like Facebook Purity: http://www.fbpurity.com/

14. Jeremy says:

Hey nfl jerseys: “There has been an outbreak of gremlins on your farm.”

Do you think they might like some of your jerseys?