Orange County Drops: Blizzcon Tickets Dated

By Kieron Gillen on May 19th, 2010 at 2:00 pm.

YOU ARE A PRETTY LADY! I WOULD CLICK ON YOU! ALSO, YOUR TWO CUTE FRIENDS!

In case anyone’s confused, when I say “dated” I don’t mean “Taken out for a meal and a movie with the sole intention of getting inside their flowery undergarments” but “the dates of when they’ll be available to buy has been released”. There’s two blocks being released, on June 2nd and June 5th, at 7pm and 10am respectively. They’ll cost – gasp – $150 dollars each, and the event will take place on October 22 and 23 in Anaheim, California. More details on the site, obviously. Anyone planning on going? Will you be Zerg-rushing to get them, or not really give a Protoss? I covered the first, and found it enormously heart-warming. And, really, this whole post is just a big excuse to re-link to Alec’s piece about the 2008 Worldwide Invitational which is one of my fave things he’s ever written for the site. Press release follows!

BLIZZCON®® 2010 TICKETS ON SALE JUNE 2 AND JUNE 5

Exclusive coverage of Blizzard Entertainment®€TMs gaming convention available through DIRECTV®® satellite TV service and enhanced multi-channel Internet stream

PARIS, France. – May 18, 2010 – Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that tickets for its fifth BlizzCon® gaming convention will go on sale in two batches on Wednesday, June 2 and Saturday, June 5, 2010. BlizzCon is a celebration of the global player communities surrounding Blizzard Entertainment’s Warcraft®, Diablo®, and StarCraft® game universes. The event will take place at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California on October 22 and 23. Live coverage of the event will be available as a DIRECTV® Pay Per View package and as a multi-channel Internet stream, allowing viewers online to switch between coverage of multiple panels and activities during the show.

“BlizzCon is a unique opportunity for our players to meet one another, strengthen the friendships they’ve formed online, and have a great time celebrating a shared passion for gaming together with Blizzard employees,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “For those who can’t attend, we’re pleased to be providing an unprecedented level of access to the activities and attractions that BlizzCon has to offer.”

In addition to serving as a gathering place for the different Blizzard Entertainment gaming communities, BlizzCon will have an array of activities, including discussion panels, competitive and casual tournaments, contests, hands-on playtime with current and upcoming Blizzard Entertainment games, and more.

Tickets to the convention will be priced at 150 USD each and will be available for purchase from the official BlizzCon website at eu.blizzard.com/blizzcon/. Tickets will be released in two separate batches on June 2 at 7 p.m. Pacific time and on June 5 at 10 a.m. Pacific time. Those interested in attending BlizzCon can simplify the purchase process by registering a Battle.net account at eu.battle.net before ticket sales begin.

The popular DIRECTV® BlizzCon Pay Per View event will return in 2010, available to existing DIRECTV customers in the United States for 39.95 USD. The event will again deliver comprehensive live HD coverage from the show floor on each day of the convention, including exclusive interviews, demos, and more.

Gamers around the world will also have the option to purchase the Pay Per View event as a multi-channel Internet stream, also priced at 39.95 USD (pricing may vary by region). For the first time, anyone who purchases the Internet stream will be able to switch freely between multiple channels of coverage dedicated to different areas of BlizzCon, allowing online viewers expanded access to the panels and events they’re most interested in. DIRECTV customers who order the televised event will receive this Internet stream at no extra charge, allowing them to watch in the format of their choice. Those who order the event will also receive this year’s BlizzCon-exclusive World of Warcraft® in-game item (availability may vary by region), to be revealed at a later date. Limited streaming coverage of the BlizzCon opening ceremony and certain BlizzCon tournaments will be available via the Internet for free.

As BlizzCon draws closer, further details about the show, including ordering and programming information for the DIRECTV BlizzCon Pay Per View event and multi-channel Internet stream, will be announced at eu.blizzard.com/blizzcon.

To keep pace with the continued growth of World of Warcraft as well as development on other Blizzard Entertainment games, the company is currently hiring for numerous open positions. More information on available career opportunities can be found at eu.blizzard.com/jobs.

And there’s a lot more stuff about the companies and a splendid section about “Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements” which is the team lawyers working over-time. Bless ‘em.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Mario Figueiredo says:

I would be very interested in going. Even though USA is not my usual vacation spot, it could be this time. I never attended a Blizzcon and I’m sure I could convince my wife to spend a week in California. After all, I’m the one who prefers other more exotic places for our vacations. Although October is really not that great of a month to be in the Northern Hemisphere.

I’d be particularly interested because I feel this will be the one where Diablo III will be taking the spotlight. But currently I’m boycotting anything Activision. That of course includes Blizzard (I don’t plan, for instance, to buy their sequel to my favorite RTS of all times). I’m not sure how I will be dealing with this problem in the future when an even stronger title like Diablo III gets launched. My only hope is that Activision mends its ways. But whatever. It’s not that there aren’t any other great games out there to play.

I’m also pissed at Blizzard concerning Diablo II singleplayer mode. So, in all truth I’m not that excited anymore about Diablo III. But it’s a fact, that after Doom and X-Com, Diablo II ranks third in my least of most hours spent playing a game in my lifetime.

• mrmud says:

As long as activision doesnt interfere to much and turn blizzard into a purveyor of crap, I see no reason to boycot blizzard products.

• The Great Wayne says:

There’s some fine irony in the above reply, or at least there should be.

• Thants says:

What’s that about Diablo II singleplayer mode?

• Mario Figueiredo says:

After a certain time, Blizzard stopped producing content for single player. Subsequent patches introduced only new content (items, runewords, certain events, etc) onto battle.net. Today, if we want that (and many do in the single player community), we need hacks.

And the latest 1.13 patch again refused to introduce all that content to single-players, despite the insistent requests from single-players when in the official forums it was asked of players to offer their suggestions to what they would like the new patch to have.

This truly makes me skeptical about Diablo III. Blizzard consistently shown utter contempt for it’s single-player community. A recent article on Ars Technica explores the efforts the company put into the single-player experience into SC2. You should go read it. Good literature on design challenges. But what I read there is an obvious separation of game content between single-player and multiplayer modes that will almost certainly affect single-players when the time for new content via patch (or even DLCs) starts arriving.

So basically, this has been my main beef with this company. I once posted on the official forums letting them know how I felt about this behavior and letting them know I’m just not their average gamer. I actually own multiple(!) copies of every single Blizzard game (with the exception of WoW) since Lost Vikings. No kidding. And I’m also a single-player. I cut my ties to this company on the outset of what they did with Diablo 2. And I don’t see my love for them coming anytime soon, unless they start proving they can cater for me too.

You know the drill; You hate most those you loved. Especially when you feel cheated.

2. mbp says:

My mind is still reeling with the concept that this company actually charges money for folks to watch a glorified advert for their products on Direct TV.

3. rich187 says:

I paid for it last year because I could not afford/attend. Got some friends over, some drinks, BBQ going and turned the event into a two day party.

4. Mo says:

“Will you be Zerg-rushing to get them, or not really give a Protoss?”

Genius! :)

5. Nova says:

Looks more like Diablo than a Zerg, on the right side.

• Zaphid says:

*puts on nerd glasses*

The left one looks like Deathwing, boss of the new WoW expansion, middle is Kerrigan of Starcraft and the right is presumably Diablo.

Chaz says:

What exactly is there to see at a Blizzcon, just how much milage can you get from looking at some updated stuff for WoW, Diablo and Starcraft? Is that really worth 150 smackeroons?

• Mario Figueiredo says:

It’s debatable I agree. Better would be a gaming fair. But people that go to these things usually go for the benefit of seeing people they only know by name and never seen before gaming footage. More often they also come home with all sorts of odds and ends that were offered to them over there and cannot be found anywhere else and there’s also exclusive events like the ability to play games that aren’t even on beta or exclusive first-hand news.

For some it’s as useless as going to a football match. For others it’s as good as going to a football match. It’s a matter of how much you like the sport and team on the playing field.

• Scypher says:

Keep in mind that it’s also a physical gathering of fans of these games, so for a lot of people it’s a weekend of party-fun with their guildmates and online sparring partners and fellow Blizzard geeks.

I mean, I’m not THAT involved in online guilds/clans that I’d feel so much camaraderie at BlizzCon, but I’m carrying over that argument from other conventions. “Why go to Comic-Con,” some people say, “It’s just turned into a cramped, tiring, over-commercialized flood of advertising!” Well, because I see a lot of friends there, and make several new friends too. And that’s fun as hell. I could easily see why that (not to mention all the Blizzard games and swag) is worth $150+ to some people.

7. Sam says:

Gonna purchase the internet stream again.

But I really REALLY hope they fix the technical issues on their side this time. Last year’s internet stream was a HUGE MESS!!

8. The Great Wayne says:

Honestly, if you’re up to a trip in california this year, you’d better go to the siggraph. It’s in July so it’s better weather (although LA isn’t alaska in october), could be cheaper (or not, depending on your registration option) and you’ll get to see actual innovation.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Holly! The trailer for the computer animation festival alone totally blows my mind. And all the stuff for attendants is way too impressive (just by hoovering the mouse over the Attendants menu item at the top).

To me, this piece would be the most interesting. According to them it should be filled sometime this month.

Damn shame July is definitely not a month I could be doing this.

9. cliffski says:

This has to bwe up there with the genius who eprsuaded people that they should pay extra money to buy clothes that had a big logo of the clothes company on.
    It’s genius.
    In my old-fashioned mind, companies make products that they want you to buy. They set aside some marketing money to persuade you that their products are good.
    Now, people are so in fanboy mode that they will actually pay money for the priviledge of being marketed to. This is just so backwards its making my head spin.

I guess after they accidentally mis-typed and sold a $2.50 mount DLC for $25, and made $3.5 million in 24 hours, they realised they could charge what the fuck they liked and everyone would hand over their wallets.
    Yet somehow the same people rail against games on iphone or XBLA costing mroe than 99 cents…

• Carra says:

As long as people are willing to pay it they’d have to be insane not to ask it. If they’d have trouble filling the event I’m sure they would lower their price or even give them out. Then again I can’t see that happen any-time soon.

AndrewC says:

@ Cliffski: The people that go get a weekend of community, a weekend of sharing their hobby with like-minded people, and the chance to savour in a concentrated dose of what they really love, and in the presence of the people that make it!
      Obviously I think they’re mad, and that all cosplayers are sexual deviants in the bad sense of the term, but to dismiss it as nothing but paying to watch adverts is crossing the line into crotchetyness.
      As for the irrational ways humans make money choices – my suggestion is to stop making games for humans.

• cjlr says:

Wait, the term sexual deviant has a good sense?

• Psychopomp says:

Last I heard, Blizzard actually loses money on Blizzcon.

10. Agiel7 says:

And Blizzard fans everywhere are drilling their typing their credit card numbers in record time. I could do mine in .73 seconds, what can you do?

11. Carra says:

Well, that $150 will buy me Stacraft 2, Diablo 3, the next WoW expansion and leave me some pocket change. I’ll just do that instead of going.

12. Jay says:

The article pic looks kinda like SHODAN. I almost came.

• Saiko Kila says:

It’s quite similar to my wallpaper since 2000 (which depicts one of characters of Starcraft I), but is a bit uglier. Nevertheless I’d ask – where to get that in a better, wide-screen resolution? /Preferably for free, in case it’s related somehow to Blizzard/

• cjlr says:

I was not really focusing on the screen when the window popped up, and I too could have sworn it was Shodan for the first few instants.

I, too, was disappointed.

13. Scypher says:

I already have my tickets set. Thank youuu, friend-who-works-for-Blizzard!