Mob Justice: Mafia II Hands On

By John Walker on May 21st, 2010 at 9:00 am.

That's what happens if you forget to take the choke out.

I got a chance to sit down with Mafia II on PC, and play through a complete mission. Then run on a lunatic rampage around the city. Read my impressions below.

Developers at 2K Czech (née Illusion Softworks) must greet any coverage of Mafia II with a wry, slightly despondent smile. Yes, it’s going to be compared to GTA IV.

It’s familiar territory. 2002’s Mafia was released in the year-long gap between GTA III and Vice City, and was inevitably held alongside for inspection. Both featured large, open cities, navigated in stolen cars, on missions focused around committing crimes. But of course each game had a wildly different intent, using a similar template to achieve entirely different goals. Mafia II has no intention to be GTA IV. So why am I, even in pulling the comparison apart, still bringing it up? Because, well, it’s the first thing you’ll think when you play it.

Along with Saints Row 2, each game appears to feature near-identical animations for dragging a driver from their car, or your bonnet flipping up and eventually spinning off behind you. They’re impossibly obvious similarities. There’s a reason why Wikipedia features a genre called “Grand Theft Auto clone”. However, it’s only a few moments before your brain adjusts, and you realise you’re playing a quite different game.

Beginning in 1945, Mafia II takes the gangster-themed crime capers a decade forward, set in a post-war Empire Bay (a city that mixes East and West coast American themes, blending the watery ambience of San Francisco with New York’s murkier corners). Vito Scaletta arrives back from Europe to discover his first-generation Italian immigrant family is in no good state. His father ran up enormous debts, pursued by loan sharks, his mother now in desperate trouble.

This quickly establishes Vito as a decent man. Much as Mafia I’s Tommy Angelo was a cab driver who fell in with a bad crowd, Scaletta isn’t your typical gangster character. He’s a man recovering from the horror of war, whose family desperately needs money, and via an old friend Joe finds his way into working for the Mob.

After the game’s snowing beginnings, we were leapt about halfway into the proceedings, to a chapter set around 1952. Clearly it was a mission chosen as it does not reveal any major spoilers, which at the same time meant it was a mission that doesn’t especially stick in one’s mind. Beginning with a simple job to sell some crates of cigarettes, things quickly tumble out of control into a series of car and foot chases, and some really rather enormous shoot-outs.

Another reason they may have chosen this mission is the opportunity to show the game’s propensity for blowing things up. Boasting some NVidia tech, APEX, we were shown confusing graphs and diagrams that explained how it made the magic buttons in your machine like each other better and make prettier bangs. Or something like that. Clearly this doesn’t exactly endear the game to those who have a fantastic ATI card in their machines, like me for instance, and are told the game could look more impressive if they’d only bought a different piece of arbitrary hardware six months ago. I would strongly question any advantage in such partisan relationships with tech companies in the eyes of gamers. Anyhow, even without the full extent of these effects (apparently clothes will wobbly about more realistically, and the like), things will still look damn fine when they go pop.

In fact, it’s important to stress quite how lovely the city looks. Ludicrously beautiful sunsets light period streets, filled with individual NPCs looking rather splendid. It’s super-pretty, and will definitely shine brightest on the PC.

We were tasked with getting revenge on one scoundrel or another by shooting a bar to bits with some punchy weapons. This was from outside, watching the wooden boards of the walls splintering and cracking splendidly. Not sure whether this was the game sneakily going through some predetermined pattern of destruction, I decided to shoot at the large lit sign upon its roof. One of the letters I aimed at burst and swung down, rolling back and forth on its pivot. More shots saw it fall completely. Then aiming at one particular area of the building I created a significant hole. This is really real. They really have created what they said they would: realistic damage on realistic materials.

Shooting glass is a little strange, but pleasingly chaotic. I’ve never shot glass, so I don’t know if it really would hold some structure and not just burst and collapse completely. But shards fall in different directions, and eventually the integrity goes completely and it all falls from the frame. Sure, not that big of a deal. Except those shards don’t then quietly fade from existence. They lie there, and continue to be a feature. Throw in a grenade through a window you’ve shot up and when it explodes, those shards blow back through. That’s, well, detailed.

In fact, so very much is detailed. You’ve likely seen the many trailers showing clips from the vast numbers of cutscenes. Fresh scenes repeat the same quality of acting and animation. People still look peculiarly shiny-faced, a sort of army of David Camerons if such an image isn’t too terrifying, but the delivery is fantastic. But more interesting are details revealed in the shoot-outs.

Of course there’s a cover system, and it’s simple to dive and dash between box and car. But in a rare treat, the enemies seem to understand how to use it too. Rather than ducking behind an object and then popping their heads back in the very same spot (it’s extraordinary that most games still do this), they instead sneak around, use their brains, and most of all, stay in cover if they know they’re in danger. Which is of course the moment to take advantage of the game’s fire damage, and throw a Molotov his way, watching things burn.

Also rather fun is shooting at a car’s petrol tank. They go boom! It’s a very effective means for getting control in a fight. Or just causing absolute mayhem in the streets for no reason at all.

Which of course attracts the attentions of the police. And here Mafia II is working an awful lot harder to put in a lot more details. We’re overly familiar with wanted systems, generally a set of stars that represent the scale of how much the cops want to smack our bottoms. But Mafia gets a lot more involved.

Let’s say you speed past a police car fast enough that they can’t glimpse your face, but not quite fast enough to stop their seeing your plates. You’ll get a warning on screen that they know which car you’re in, which is your opportunity to get clear and ditch the vehicle. You’ll be safe. Perhaps someone sees you on foot battering an old lady, and gets a description of you to a cop. To speed up shaking them you can change your clothes, buy some new attire, and throw them off. Then there’s greater scales of things you may have done wrong, which will in turn up the ante.

There’s a deliberate attempt to have the world behave slightly more realistically (well, in the context of a game where you get instant feedback on what the police know about you), with it being completely unacceptable to march down a street with a rifle in your hands. People will react, police will be alerted, some people may take things into their own hands.

Talking of which, one of the moments that surprised me the most appeared somewhere where things were feeling most familiar. I wanted to drive a car I saw, so knew I could go up to the driver door while it was at the lights and press F. I’ve played GTA enough. Vito opened the door, dragged the driver out and pushed him to the ground, and started to get in. And the guy pulled a gun on me.

It’s moments like that which make you realise the extra depth. Such a brief play didn’t allow me to appreciate the promised constant evolution of architectural style and internal décor, along with fashions and technology, as the decade passes. But we’re promised it’s all there. And there was no doubting the authenticity of the setting.

There’s apparently hundreds of licensed songs, changing as the years go by, and we’re told the game can pick out appropriate tunes for what’s happening at the time. I’m not quite sure what it was the game thought I was doing to offer me That’s Amore.

Well, they sent us a picture of some barrels, so we'll bloody well publish it to show them how stupid it looks.

What else did I spot in the hour-long mission? Well, if your car gets too beat up, rather than just having to ditch it, you can hop out and perform a little roadside surgery. It doesn’t magic the car better – it just gets it going enough to get you home – one more bump and it’ll be puffing smoke once more. But you could take it to a mechanic and have it fixed up properly.

And of course being set ten years after the original Mafia the cars are faster, and easier to control. Not easy to control, I should stress. Cornering is no longer quite such an ordeal, but the authenticity gives driving a flavour that means you can’t just handbrake turn your way around without thinking. Road conditions affect handling, and of course finding faster, sleeker models means you’ll have a more entertaining journey.

However, we come back to Mafia II’s very purpose for being. It’s not trying to be GTA IV. So its success will ride on its delivery of a story, and the depth of its combat. From the fire-fights I experienced the latter is looking to be in fine form. Enemies were certainly taking a very silly amount of damage in places, but a good headshot was generally enough to do the job. Plus there’s the fun of damaging the walls and any windows you might spot. However, the story here was unmemorable. Clearly we were coming into a game at the halfway point, so context wasn’t present, but at the same time there wasn’t anything in that sequence that dragged me into the plot.

From the other parts of the game we’ve been shown, and certainly from the (heavily abbreviated) opening scenes we saw, there’s a strong chance that will all be present. And it will have to be, because it will be by this that people will know not to call it a GTA clone.

Oh, and one final test of such a game. Once the mission was complete I restarted the area, and went on a mindless rampage through the streets that managed to shock the 2K representatives in the room. Gathering as many police as you can to one location for target practise is fun. Making your targets the elderly is just wrong. And great. You don’t last too long once you head down this destructive path, but it’s a fun way to find out when you last passed a checkpoint.

Mafia II is due at the end of August.

, , , , , , .

1. Wes says:

Well, there’s another game to add to my shopping list. Nice review.

2. Inigo says:

If there is a race mission I will personally fly down to the Czech Republic and murder every single person I see.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I think you will change your mind once you see our girls ‘n taste our beer&meals :))

• Phinor says:

Bah. The race mission was fine. Though literally every friend who played the game asked me to drive it for them but I still maintain it was fine.

Can’t wait for the release. Well I can but that’s what people usually say. Hopefully the PC version is done well enough and isn’t crippled by the worst DRM methods out there. The original Mafia ranks very high on my all time list. In the single digits.

• Rinox says:

Having lived there for a year and a half, I can dop nothing but vouch for Frankie’s statement. Czech girls are…not deserving of random murder.

• a.nye.123 says:

I passed the race first time too, but I think they decreased the difficulty in a patch, so maybe that was the cause.

drewski says:

The thing with the race mission is that, pre-patch, the reward was directly proportional to the difficulty you had in passing it.

Finally hitting the finish line in front after the 40th or so reload was so very, very, very satisfying.

• CalebArchon says:

Oh, man. I had no idea the race mission in Mafia 1 was so notorious with other people. The thing wouldn’t have been so bad if the racecars had either had roofs, or were less prone to do side flips whenever they caught some air. When I finally beat that mission, it was in no small part because 3 of the AI opponents had murdered themselves by landing their cars on their heads.

• jeremypeel says:

If my calculations are correct – and I have every reason to believe that they are – then all of the accumulated frustration caused by that race was almost exactly equaled by the sense of glee experienced driving that rocket-propelled tin can around the streets of suburbia afterwards.

• bill says:

I loved the race mission in Mafia. It was one of the most memorable and it was great fun.
      I wish they’d included a whole side game wherer you could be a race driver and compete in competitions.
      Driving the race car through the city streets at night was much harder, but also very good fun.

I bought mafia, but it felt like I got Grand Prix legends thrown in.. and that was fine with me.

3. Sobric says:

Awesome Sauceome John.

Do you know how many years/decades it will span? Is it just 40s & 50s or does it move into Cocaine-fuelled late 60s rumpy pumpy ?

(NB: What film follows that progression ? Goodfellas ? )

4. Crozon says:

Cheers, was worried the game might be watered down due to consoles, but looks like its not.

How are the controls. Does the game control fine on a K/M?

• jeremypeel says:

It’s funny – colour me optimistic, but I really don’t see the cause for concern with games like Mafia being developed for consoles alongside PC. I know games like GTA have fared badly making the jump, but that’s generally due to buggy, late ports rather than console limitations. There’s really nothing about Mafia that would possibly have to be lobotomized in the name of multi-platformation; in fact, its mechanics are perfectly matched to controllers, TVs, easy chairs and pretzels in my opinion.

5. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Man, would i like some multiplayer. Doing a drive by with a tommy gun out a window of a suicide doored car.
    Pity its set decades away from this time. Heres hoping there is a museum of classic cars and guns you can raid.

Nero says:

I don’t think it will stop people who thinks GTA is the best thing ever to call it a GTA ripoff but oh well, Mafia fans know what the difference is. I think it will turn out find even though from seeing the videos with the cover system did turn me off a bit. Call me crazy but I’m not a fan of cover systems for some reason. Small detail but I’m sure the actual game feeling and story will turn out great.

7. Ziv says:

I’m sorry to inform you but most of the glass mechanics are very much nVidia and Physix meaning that all of us ATI guys won’t be enjoying it. It will probably exist in a dumbed down fashion.

• skinlo says:

The thing is they could very easily be done on ATI cards as well, its just Nvidias money that stops it from occuring.

• Heliosicle says:

If nVidia think that all these extra effects make me want to buy one of their cards they’re wrong, its muscling in on the market with all these “technologies” that make me dislike them, however petty of me that may be. Only good I can see this having is developers get a bit more money for adding pointless check boxes for nVidia to advertise their cards with.

• Mistabashi says:

@ Skinlo:

No, it couldn’t be easily done on ATi cards since they don’t have a competing technology to PhysX. And do you think ATi / AMD don’t have the same sort of money as Nvidia? Its not some conspiracy, it’s just a feature.

@ Heliosicle:

It’s just a feature – if you don’t want PhysX acceleration then don’t buy an Nvidia card, you’re not missing out on anything other than the feature you chose not to buy into.

The amount of rivalry that goes on between Nvidia and ATi users never ceases to amaze me :)

• Schadenfreude says:

The thing is you used to be able to use your ATI card as the primary graphics card, but if you had a spare nVidia (Left over from an upgrade or, as some did, a new low-end card) you could plug that in and run PhysX through that. Until nVidia decided to disable it in a patch which was an incredibly dickish move. You can still get it running with some fiddly workarounds around at least.

I can understand why they did it, ATI’s cards are currently running rings around nVidia but having your hardware programmed to throw a strop if it detects a rival’s card has really soured me on nV. What next; ATI cards won’t run on nVidia mobos?

• Ziv says:

@Mistabashi: heard of DX11? directCompute? The technology exists but nVidia is pushing it to the side with its TWIMTBP campaign

• Paul says:

Nobody prevents ATi from sending 10 developers to Czech Republic to 2K Czech studio and help them make those effects for ATi HW. You see, that is what nVidia does. They dedicate a lot of resources and manpower of their own to introduce this. It is not just about money.

• Mistabashi says:

@ Ziv:

I don’t think DirectCompute does what you think it does – it’s just an API. If you want to implement hardware-accelerated physics you would still have to code it, which API you choose to use only affects what hardware it would be compatible with. PhysX relies on the CUDA API, which is obviously Nvidia’s property and the reason it won’t work on ATi cards.

As I’ve said before there’s nothing stopping ATi from coming-up with an alternative – in fact, they demonstrated a physics acceleration system based on the OpenCL API some time last year. The fact that it’s failed to materialize as a feature on ATi’s cards indicates that either they haven’t come up with a solution that’s good enough to rival PhysX or they simply don’t think it’s a worthwhile feature to develop. ATi aren’t really marketing their cards based on features, they’re working the price/performance angle, if they start spending huge amounts of money on R&D of new features it pushes the price of their cards up and they end-up losing their main advantage over Nvidia.

• battles_atlas says:

I don’t like having to chose between a) good ATI cards that don’t run cool stuff or b) bad nvidia cards that do run cool stuff. Its this kind of standards-war bullshit that has consigned PC gaming to the niche preserve of weirdos and deviants.

8. Wilson says:

Hmm, all sounds good. You mention the enemies taking silly amounts of damage at times, and hopefully that means similar to the original Mafia? People could absorb a few shots there, but it didn’t feel too bad. As long as it isn’t Call of Duty II style “shooting a man, he falls over, then gets up again repeat x 5″ then it should be ok. If this game isn’t excellent it will break me as a person.

9. Spacewalk says:

You show screenshots, I see interpretive dance.

10. DigitalSignalX says:

I’ve heard a rumor that XP won’t be supported. Any official word on the system requirements? I barely got GTA4 running (on a below minimum spec rig) and I presume it will be about the same. Still it was enough to play and enjoy the game.

11. UsF says:

I hope the performance on PC will be better than GTA4 :|

12. Henry Turner says:

Ackshully Skinlo, it’s your money that stops it from occurring. You bought the wrong card dude, everyone knows games play better on nvidia.

13. Ian says:

Just this morning I actually tried the original again and managed to get away from the magical baddies in that horror first mission. Not sure if there’s going to end up being a bit too much driving for my taste as that’s been mostly what the game is over the first few missions. Good fun so far though, and the second is looking good.

14. Jimbo says:

Thanks, J-J-J-J-J-Johnny.

If they manage to differentiate this from GTA, to the extent that RDR is differentiated from GTA, then Take Two will have gone from ‘only’ having the #1 open-world franchise, to having 3 of the top 5, in one year.

I’m still not really seeing that difference though, which I think could prove to be a problem for Mafia 2. This is mostly due to GTA4 having moved into the space between Mafia (virtually no sandbox) and GTA3 (virtually all about the sandbox).

Saints Row 2 took the opportunity to move even harder in GTA 3′s direction and beyond, and it paid off for them. I still can’t tell which direction Mafia 2 is going in for sure, but to me it looks like it’s moving slightly towards the centre of the genre if anything. Mafia 2 will be a lot closer to GTA 4, than Mafia was to GTA 3, which could easily break either way, depending on what mood the mainstream gaming press decide to wake up in that morning. I can kinda see it being used as the whipping boy for RDR’s success.

15. Muddy Water says:

I loved the first one, as clunky as it was. The story was very well-told and I’m optimistic that the sequel will deliver on that front as well. The detail described in the preview is just the icing on the cake.

Well, I know what I’ll be doing at the end of August.

16. Snall says:

I have shot glass and yes you can blows holes through it without it all being destroyed..

17. lhzr says:

@john: heh, i like how you keep saying that it’s not like gta4, but in the end fail to point out any significant difference

i think it’s prolly gonna be pretty great and it’s prolly gonna be gta4 in a different setting.

• bill says:

well Mafia was nothing like GTA3 or Vice City. So I’d imagine Mafia 2 will be more like Mafia 1.
      Though GTA4 was trying to be a bit more like Mafia 1 too.

18. PanicProne says:

Hey there! Great read, but I was also curious if you have any information on what kind of hardware the game was running on?

CPU, RAM, GPU (seems like it was running on an nvidia card). I sticking with my HD4890, though! :D

19. Andy says:

I’ve always thought it was odd that ATI doesn’t do the same thing to get their tech supported – it’s not like Nvidia bungs them money not to support ATI…

20. laikapants says:

Well damn, this makes the wait that much more unbearable. Walker, must you write so well? Hopefully Alpha Protocol is top notch and somehow can keep me occupied for most of the summer. August cannot come soon enough and not just because I have a week of vacation and a birthday in there. And to think as soon as I finish this, I’ll have L.A. Noire to play on my evil Xbox. Gonna be a great fall for 1940s crime games.

• jeremypeel says:

L.A. Noire! Will it be the noir detective sandbox experience we’ve all subconsciously dreamed of? I hope there’s a cinematic camera option, in which the protagonist is continuously framed from below at bizarre angles that suggest madness. An Orson Welles mode, if you will. In fact, come to think of it…

GUYS! SOMEBODY CALL QUINNS! I’VE FOUND THE CITIZEN KANE OF GAMES!

21. TeeJay says:

@ John Walker: “There’s a reason why Wikipedia features a genre called “Grand Theft Auto clone””

Wikipedia contributors have made a fairly good stab at defining some consistent genre definitions, but the “Grand Theft Auto clones” so-called “genre” stands out as a glaring exception in the overall wikipedia genre schemata.

Some of objections on the discussion page include: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Grand_Theft_Auto_clone

“…Aren’t these just called sandbox-style video games? Does this really need its own section? If we can’t have a list of GTA Clones because there are no games that are GTA Clones why bother having a wikipage called GTA Clones?…”

or

“…Mafia was never meant to be a GTA clone and it was never influenced by GTA. I wouldn’t call it a “Grand Theft Auto” clone … Mafia was originally planed to be released in fall 2001 same time as GTA III, but it was delayed to 2002″

or

“…The article looks like written by fanboys who are completely in denial with the definition of “genre”. “GTA Clone” is certainly not a genre. “3rd person open world action game” would at least be less “full of shit”. There is no article on “Doom Clone”, gee, I wonder why. Surely every game featuring guns, blood, and rooms must be a Doom clone by this article’s logic.”

It’s worth noting that the only other ‘clones’ listed on wikipedia refer to: Breakout clones, Pac-Man clones, Pong variations, Rocks-and-diamonds games, Roguelikes and Tetris clones – and none of these is claimed to be a separate ‘genre’ (as the term is used on wikipedia).

The wikipedia article ironically lists a lot of precursors to GTA (undermining it’s own raison d’etre IMO) and also mentions the following games/series:

American McGee Presents: Scrapland
    Saints Row
    True Crime: Streets of LA
    Driver: Parallel Lines
    Crackdown
    The Godfather: The Game
    Scarface: The World Is Yours

The article itself does recognise that it is a bit tenous and that it is actually trying to talk about a certain period of ‘driving and shooting gangster games’ of which GTA is the best known:

“…Without clear classifications to describe the genre popularized by Grand Theft Auto, reviewers have created a number of alternate names for this genre. Some reviewers have focused on the pervasive criminal themes and content in the genre, using terminology such as “crime games”, “crime-based action games” and what CNN called the “gangsta genre”. Other journalists have emphasized gameplay by describing the genre as “free roaming action adventure games”, “driving-and-shooting games” and “driving action hybrids…”

I know that it is sometimes easy to dismiss Wikipedia but it and Mobygames between them have been doing a very god job of analysing game genres and collecting analysis etc. (which is why I want to flag up the “GTA-clone-as-genre” abberation, something I noticed last year while doing some research).

• Nick says:

Wow, thats an awful lot of effort for a throwaway comment almost entirely unrelated to the gist of the preview.

• Drexer says:

I too have always been annoyed by that page in Wikipedia. And now that you’ve linked to the discussion, even more so. SPecially because of that oh so clever ‘bridies’ user that seems like a total GTA fanboy. The best line on the whole page?

“GamesRadar is a reliable source.” – regarding an article where one reviewer calls Mafia a GTA clone.

22. Dozer says:

Carjack victims would occasionally retaliate with guns or baseball bats in the original Mafia too. But it used the same “wrestling dude out of a car” animation, with the gun/bat held in the guy’s hand, and it looked a bit strange.

Vandelay says:

I had forgotten that the original Mafia did this, but I’m certain GTA 4 did it too. I had plenty of people chase after me when I stole their cars and I’m sure I had a few people pull a pistol on me. Bit odd that John lists this as being unexpected after having played plenty of GTA.

23. Mistabashi says:

Will this have Berlin’s Take My Breath Away on the soundtrack though?

24. Mistabashi says:

Sorry, that was both a reply fail and a ‘wrong topic’ fail. I shouldn’t really be allowed on the internet, or near children or any other human being for that matter. If you ever see me it’s best to cross to the other side of the road just in case.

25. Alexander Norris says:

I’d like to meet those mythical creatures that think Mafia is a GTA clone. Do they also think the Battlefield games are Q3A clones because they have guns in them?

Vandelay says:

This just gets better and better with each new info on it. It is looking like the many delays are going to have been put to good use.

I am disappointed to see another game that is using the Nvidia PhysX tech though. Speaking from a point of pretty much zero technical knowhow, I really don’t see why they could not do most of this stuff on the processor, particularly now that dual cores and quad cores are pretty much standard.

I do wonder how big the difference will be for Mafia 2 though. Batman only used it for some incidental detail, but this seems to be integrating it into the gameplay a fair amount (i.e the destructible environment.) I would be interested to see how it all looks with the feature disabled.

On the whole GTA clone thing, I obviously can’t speak for the sequel, but the original most definitely played nothing like GTA. It was very much a linear story driven game, with the city and driving settings merely being used to provide atmosphere and a backdrop for the action. GTA has tried to make the story more relevant in recent games, but it is still secondary to creating a world with lots of other bits to it.

‘GTA clone genre’ is really just another name for the ‘open world sandbox’ genre, of which there are many games. Mafia was never one of these though. Playing it for 5 minutes would show anyone that.

27. Joni says:

Its gonna rock, man this gonna be a minimum 3-4 gig ram i bet.

28. A-Scale says:

I just wanted to note that most of the stuff that John cites as new features (you can throw cops by changing cars, drivers can pull guns on you, and people react badly to you carrying weapons about, to speak of a few) were all actually present in the original Mafia too.

• jeremypeel says:

Yup yup, I thought the same thing. I don’t blame Walker for that though – it’s just tragic that, eight years on, the same great ideas still feel like innovations. AI that can use your own bloody cover system shouldn’t be innovative!

29. bill says:

Sounds awesome. Looks awesome. So awesome infact that I think my ATI powered laptop has no chance of running it… but it wouldn’t if it was a similar nvidia powered system either.

sad face.

30. DarkFenix says:

Assuming those promised features all live up to their hype, it could be a pretty awesome game.

Does it have multiplayer? While a singleplayer experience is all good and well, GTA4′s multiplayer is what keeps me coming back time and time again.

31. zac says:

Is is just me, or does that guy on the left look like he exploded the car with a flying kick?

32. Dr.Danger says:

The race mission was the best thing ever! Its such a shame they didnt make it into a minigame and open the racetrack after you finished the main story.

33. Agrjag says:

But it says on the box “the way games are meant to be played”. They better, don’t they?