The RPS Bargain Bucket: HOT

By Lewie Procter on May 22nd, 2010 at 2:45 pm.

(Repeated logo, but I think we ran out. What was the plan with these anyway? – Jim)
It’s bloody hot. Far too hot to pay full price for games. This weekend, I prescribe some discounted digital entertainment, and a cool beverage of your choice in the sun whilst they download. Remember to go to SavyGamer.co.uk for more cheap game niceness. Here’s this week’s Bargain Bucket.

First Encounter Assault Recon, First Encounter Assault Recon: Extraction Point & First Encounter Assault Recon: Perseus Mandate – £6.99/€8.99/$9.99
Or “FEAR + both expansions” for short, although perhaps that should be retroactively changed to F1AR. I’m not completely sure what I think of FEAR. I played the Xbox (booo!) version, and it felt like an FPS with mostly nice weapons, a few vaguely creepy bits, and baddies that had noticeably better than average AI. It did have a groundbreaking slo mo feature, where you could press a button, and the whole game would slow down. What’ll they think of next? Seems to me like if you are in the mood for shooting some dudes, you could do much worse that FEAR. Remember that you can get the Multiplayer for FEAR for free. This not a temporary offer, this is going to be available for ever and ever and ever.

Gabriel Knight trilogy – £/€/$12.57
I’ve not played these and don’t know anything about them…Can you lot tell me about them in the comments please?

Company of Heroes – Cheap
Here are the various ways of buying it:
Company of Heroes – £3.98/€3.98/$7.98
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts – £3.98/€7.98/$3.98
Company of Heroes: Gold (Original game + Opposing Fronts) – £5.98/€7.98/$11.98
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor – £7.98/€11.98/$11.98
Company of Heroes: Complete – £19.98/€23.98/$23.98
Gosh someone needs to buy GamersGate a calculator. The “Complete” version there is entirely redundant (hence no link), and apparently €3.98 = $7.98 = £3.98 = $3.98 = €7.98, and the price for Opposing front in Euros is the same as the price for Original game + Opposing Fronts. Direct your complaints towards the comments, or better yet hassle them over twitter. Still, mostly good deals depending on where in the world you are. Demo here.

Puzzlebots, PC – £7.39/€8.42/$9.99
Apply coupon “PUZZLEBYTES” to get this price.
Derek Yu, over at TIGsource says “The consistent humor, the interaction between the humans and the robots, the play on differences not only in physical scale but how humans/robots see the world, and the way the story unfolds as it’s passed between these two groups, is what really makes Puzzle Bots shine. As someone who thinks highly of challenge and mechanical depth, I’m almost loathe to say it, but I think the game’s non-intrusive casualness is actually a selling point for this game, because I was eager to watch the story unfold in a timely manner.” sounds good to me. Demo here.

SAY-GAH complete pack – £49.99/€59.99/$89.99
Includes:
Rome: Total War + Barbarian Invasion + Alexander,
Medieval II: Total War + Kingdoms,
Empire: Total War + Elite Units of America, Elite Units of the East, Elite Units of the West, Special Forces Units & Bonus Content, The Warpath Campaign,
Napoleon: Total War + Coalition Battle Pack,
Aliens vs. Predator + Swarm Map Pack,
Football Manager 2010,
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast,
SEGA Rally,
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
Space Siege,
Stormrise,
The Club,
Universe at War: Earth Assault,
Vancouver 2010,
Virtua Tennis 2009.

Deal of the week
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat – Ł8.26/€9.54/$11.99 If you already own Shadows of Chernobyl.
Update: Thanks to Sean w/o an H who kindly corrected me in the comments, I saw that this deal doesn’t actually require you to own Shadows of Chernobyl on Impulse, you just have to have it installed on your machine. Presumably Steam, D2D, retail or any other should work. Wot Jim thinks can be found and this here hyperlink.

Hang on a sec. Check this image out. Why on earth do they have a character from Alpha Protocol appearing in the promo artwork for this bundle, when it very clearly doesn’t include Alpha Protocol. Never mind. There’s a lot of great games there, although I would be pretty sad if that was all SEGA were ever remembered for. It’s more of a SEGA incomplete pack. They should package up all their Mega Drive games with an emulator for 89p a pop (or more realistically £2). There’s a few hidden gems there. The Club, which is a brilliantly paced third person shooter where every second counts. Outrun, which is absolutely nothing like the reality of driving a fast car, but every bit like the dream. SEGA Rally too, although that is probably redundant now that we have Dirt 2. You get all of the recent Total War games too. This is a potentially fantastic deal, but only for people who are really interested in most of the games included but have also not bought any of them, further highlighting that Valve really need to sort out a way of offering discounts on bundles when someone already owns individual components of it, or at least issue gift copies when you’ve paid for something twice. Punishing people for having already bought your games seems pretty backwards to me.

Also of note:
Westward 1, 2 & 3 – £5.17/€5.95/$7.48
Altitude – £3.49/€4.49/$4.99, free to play this weekend.
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood – $9.99 (North America only)

Keep your eyes, nose, ears, fingers and tongue firmly glued to SavyGamer for the latest in cheap gaming across all formats.

__________________

« | »

1. toni says:

old fear is good fear. at least for that price.

2. Dean says:

Gabriel Knight games are excellent and the three of them together make a curious bundle.

The first is one of the best ‘serious’ (ie. not Lucas Arts funny) point and clicks.

The second is one of the few (perhaps only) great FMV games.

The third is full 3D and so somewhat ironically looks the most dated of them all. It has one ridiculous puzzle in that someone is bound to complain about in these comments. It also has one of the best puzzles from an adventure game ever. Also notable for basically ‘doing’ the plot of the DaVinci code a few years prior to it being written.

• malkav11 says:

Except, of course, that Jane Jensen can write and Dan Brown cannot.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I recommend looking up a walkthrough for the first few parts of 3. Yes, that puzzle is really dumb but it gets better after that.

• HarbourMaster says:

Aaaah the god damn cat puzzle. Disengage brain, try random actions.

But I did love the atmosphere of GK3 – speaking as someone who has not played much point-n-clicks.

• MWoody says:

The cat puzzle led me to not merely put down that game and stop playing, but to abandon the adventure genre altogether. That single bit of game design marked the end of an entire era.

• Magius Paulus says:

The 100% fail moustache puzzle is more than made up by the most brilliant puzzle in an adventure ever: Seprent Rouge.
      Although i only played 1 and 3, they are the best ‘serious’adventure games i ever played (Yathzee’s being a good second) and i played a lot of them. Buy them already!

3. Mathemazilla says:

Also Galactic Civilizations II and Sins of a Solar Empire vanilla are cheap at Impulse right now.

And I urge anyone to at least try Altitude now that it has a free weekend because it’s really, really good. Bought it in the Steam indie pack not long ago and have spent a good 16 hours on it. Plane ball is so much fun!

• Wulf says:

Wholeheartedly agree. Altitude is really the star attraction of this bundle, but it’s one of those weird games where you won’t know that until you’ve played it, and it’s easy to doubt it since it just looks like of like Sopwith, which it sort of is, but so much better, in multiplayer, and with shooty aeroplanes playing football.

• Tacroy says:

I’ll third the Altitude suggestion; since I bought it, I’ve racked up more hours with that game than any other. It’s just so easy to get in to; it takes mere seconds to fire it up and start playing football in an airplane (well not right now, with the Steam free weekend all the ball servers are full all the time, but still).

Don’t be turned off by the fact that you have to get “XP” to unlock perks, abilities and airplanes; you generally average a level every 20 minutes of playtime or so, and they’re all (mostly) balanced against each other anyway – and when they’re not balanced, it’s because you get the better abilities first. Ultracapacitor and Turbo Charger, the first two blue unlocks, are generally considered to be far better than Reverse Thrust or Ace Instincts, for instance.

• Morti says:

Your urge is well founded. I just came back from playing some free Altitude, and damnit, it’s brilliant! I might pay the 5 bucks and all

• Bassism says:

Agreed. Altitude is pure brilliance.

I’m a sad panda, because I can’t connect right now :(

4. Pod says:

Everyone should play COH at least once.

• Sarlix says:

Agreed.

• sinister agent says:

I was just looking down its top. It looks rather nice, however it looks much like my current partner, Men of War. What will I gain from undressing CoH? And how far into the realm of poor taste are you willing to push this ill-adviased analogy with me?

• Zwebbie says:

That depends on the way you look at it. After having played CoH, I haven’t been able to enjoy any other RTS afterwards, and I can’t even remotely get excited by the second coming of Starcraft :( . Once you’ve moved memorable squads into cover, set up killing zones and flanked tanks, two armies standing in front of each other and firing until one side dies just doesn’t have the same effect.

• Heliocentric says:

Take the coh demo on a date. You’ll see the pink bits of the campaign and be educated in how the play is. But coh only really puts out for multiplayer.

• Zwebbie says:

That was in reply to Pot, not sinister agent.

• Vinraith says:

CoH is a perfectly competent WW2 RTS with a few real tactical war game elements tossed in, but I don’t understand why it engenders the sort of worship it does. My best guess (and this always makes me sad) is that big fans of the series have simply never played the likes of Close Combat and Combat Mission.

• Serenegoose says:

Vinraith: I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. CoH and Combat Mission might share the same setting, but they’re completely and utterly different games. I’d not recommend Combat Mission to anybody that didn’t enjoy absurdo-hardcore difficult turn-based hybrid games where things like wind speed play a role in the proceedings. I’d recommend CoH to anybody who had an interest in RTS games.

• Wilson says:

@Vinraith – For me, it was a few things. The way it used squads of men rather than individual soldiers, the cover system, the way you fought for territory not supply piles, suppression mechanics, the fact it’s very pretty graphically, all these things and more made it exceptional for me. Nowadays, there’s more RTS games which use all the above elements, so it doesn’t stand out as much. But as a more casual strategy game in general, it excels.
      I love Close Combat, and I would like to get into Combat Mission (I’ve tried it a few times, and it saddens me that I’ve not really gotten into it yet), but for something easier on the mind, and quicker to play, CoH is an excellent RTS which had a lot of innovative mechanics and real atmosphere. It has flaws of course, but I think there is far more good than bad or average elements in it. Plus, the voice acting is top notch.

• Garg says:

@Vinraith: It’s the details that does it, at least for me. The way your squads automatically hug cover after you issue a move order somewhere, the way their voice replies to orders change if they’re under fire (the german Leuitenant calling in a mortar strike when under fire is paticularly brilliant as I recall), and the general overall presentation is really top notch.

The moment I realised I loved it was in the demo. I was mortaring an MG implacement inside a house. The mortar round arced in from above, smashed through the roof tiles, making the most perfect “plink” sound as it crashed through, and exploded inside.

• Vinraith says:

All the mechanics mentioned were present in Close Combat better than a decade ago, hence my confusion/frustration. On top of that, the Close Combat games (with the possible exception of 3) had real strategic context (ie losing didn’t mean “replay the level,” you actually got pushed back) which is lamentably absent from CoH.

I’m not saying it’s a bad game, but it seems strange to me that it’s so well loved when a game more than 10 years its senior did virtually everything it does right, IMO.

• Wilson says:

@Vinraith – Yes, but CoH has them in a fast paced game. I’d play both games for different reasons. CoH has a lot of spectacle, requires somewhat faster decision making and it’s a very self-contained experience. Close Combat has a bit more depth, a grittier feel and is slower paced (which is very nice if you’re in the mood for that). I would also argue that CoH is a bit smoother and more polished than Close Combat. Because it’s simpler, it’s easier to understand than Close Combat.

I don’t think I’m making my case well, but Close Combat and CoH are very different games which happen to share some mechanics and maybe the same very general aim (a WW2 Combat Game). The fact you cite Close Combat makes me wonder if you generally prefer slower paced and more genuinely tactical games, in which case I admit CoH isn’t all that amazing. But for a faster paced game with a more arcadey attitude, it’s really special.

• pupsikaso says:

Hey Vinraith, what game of Close Combat do you suggest I should try? I understand it’s a series?
      And what about Combat Mission?

• Wilson says:

Yeah, I’d be interested to hear, since I’ve only really played Close Combat III. The later ones with their strategic maps didn’t appeal to me so much for some reason. I should get them out and play again.

• sinister agent says:

Thanks for sharing, everyone. I think I will have a go at CoH. Even if it’s similar territory to some other games I have, I’m sure I’ll get four quid’s worth out of it.

5. Alegis says:

Altitude is a great little multiplayer game, recommended.

6. Clovis says:

I bought Call of Pripyat 12+ hours ago, but Impulse hasn’t actually processed my order. Anyone else having any problems with Impulse? I never had a problem before.

7. Unaco says:

The original FEAR was a solid, fun, interesting shooter in my opinion… meaty-feeling, enjoyable weapons, a good mechanic in the slo-mo stuff, good AI and level design, all culminating in the cinematic firefights (they had that aspect of good shooter firefights that can suck me in… once you finish a fight, you reload so you can do it again, and again, and again). It was only really let down by the schlocky, Japanese Horror rip off story… although some of the creepy bits, the shocks and the tricks, and parts of the story were well done.
    I played a little of Extraction Point, but not all of it… what I did play had a few interesting moments, but I felt they’d dropped the ball a little on some of the combat sections. Never played Perseus Mandate, but the things I heard about it weren’t good things… like Chili flavoured chewing gum.
    £7 for FEAR and FEAR-XP is a reasonable deal… if you’ve never played them.

8. biscotti says:

I liked the first gabriel Knight a lot. It’s hard but the story is cool. I really liked the voice actor for GK as well.

The second and third games I didn’t like so much. Number 2 got FMV about as right as a game could… which is to say it’s not great but they tried damn hard. Number 3 was in 3D and that’s a bit of a death blow to most adventure games for me.

• dadioflex says:

I used the first couple of GK games to confuse my girlfriend into thinking she was bonding with me, or something, when we were really just playing games.

Shockingly I’m still single.

• terry says:

I woo all my ladies with sections of fencing and sticky tape.

9. pimorte says:

FEAR is a very very good game for that price. The combat is the best bit (the time a squad pinned me down and I was then jumped by one of their guys who had snuck around is still one of my favourite gaming moments), but the scares are pretty good too.

It should be noted that the expansion packs for FEAR were farmed off to a different developer, were reportedly of much lesser quality and are not considered part of the official canon for the series.

10. Sean w/o an H says:

Not to try and disrupt one of my favorite RPS segments, but I think the Impulse copy of Call of Pripyat is *much* more of a deal than you make it out to be, because… you do nothave to own the Impulse version of Chernobyl at all.

I emailed the support folks to ask this, because I’ve wanted Pripyat for a long time, and actually, all you have to do is add ANY copy of Chernobyl to your Impulse client and you can get Pripyat for $12 instead of $20 – this works (presumably) with any retail copy, or with a copy from Steam (!) (I own the Steam version of STALKER: SHoC ).

Per Impulse support:

The Impulse version is not required, though it may be necessary to use the ‘Detect Application’ feature in Impulse to locate the base game first:

-Click the blue menu button (upper left corner of Impulse)
    -Select ‘Detect Application…’
    -Follow the instructions given

Once Impulse recognizes the base game, you should be able to install the expansion.

For $12 if you own *any* copy of SHoC, I think Pripyat is a *fantastic* deal. (I have not tested this theory with a copy of Clear Sky yet, but if anyone else owns both and would like to try installing w / Clear Sky in the directory, please let me know how it turns out)

• DigitalSignalX says:

Superb deal, for arguably the best STALKER title of the entire bunch in terms of both content and technical polish.

• Benkyo says:

Thank you!

• JB says:

I can confirm that what Sean says is correct. I have SoC on Steam, bought Cop on Impulse last night, works fine.

One thing: if you get CoP and it won’t seem to work, turn off FRAPS if you have it running. For some reason the X-Ray engine hate FRAPS. Although I hear you can alt-tab out and run it once the game is up and running.

• JB says:

Also, @ Sean – Thanks for sharing that info, you’re a hero =)

11. Sarlix says:

Just thought I would mention Sins of a Solar Empire – Trinity for £12.98 from Amazon – Main game plus both expansions.

12. The_B says:

Funny you should say that…

• Bhazor says:

I approve this development.

• Cooper says:

Need more info, now.

Hopefully they’ll shove some more games out than are on this list.

Excellent news, as long as they dont try and rip-off any of the open source emulators the way DosBox nearly was…

Actually, I -think- that DosBox on steam for Doom debacle worked out ok – all I last heard was that ‘We have talked to id and come to an agreement’ which was never made public – so I assume that means cash… Shame id didn’t do the decent thing and stump up to begin with.

• Bhazor says:

Actually I wasn’t much of a fan of the Megadrive (after all that other console had Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Contra 3, Final Fantasy 6, Star Fox, Yoshi’s Island and Chrono Trigger whilst the Megadrive didn’t) but this does show increasing PC commitment from Sega and makes Dreamcast games on PC that much more likely.

• DrGonzo says:

Megadrive>Snes

Wipes the floor with the snes in every genre. It’s just the snes gets more attention due to it being more successful in the US.

• Urthman says:

Not trying to argue with you, DrGonzo, but would like to see your recommendations of Sega games that are the same-genre-but-better-than-SNES versions of these:

Legend of Zelda
      Super Metroid
      Yoshi’s Island
      Super Mario RPG

• DJ Phantoon says:

Even just by technical specs, the SNES was better. Super Metroid was a 24bit game. Sega didn’t have support for that in their systems.

• Wulf says:

I’m game!

Landstalker > The Legend of Zelda

An isometric action-RPG that was a completely new concept, one that was routed in a great storyline with lots of dialogue, puzzles (including a riddle dungeon), and Indiana Jones style adventure dungeons. It was literally full of high adventure and made SNES RPGs look boring by comparison. When SNES gamers were watching numbers float off the heads of characters, or pushing blocks around in a dungeon, I was outrunning gigantic boulders. In some respects it was quite like the isometric games of old, like Head Over Heels, and adopted a lot of their better aspects, then melded that into an RPG. Landstalker will always be far, far more brilliant than Legend of Zelda was.

Turrican Games > Super Metroid

Because Turrican is just eminently more fun than any Metroid could ever be (with perhaps the exception of Fusion, but that had the bonus of modern thinking), sorry.

Ristar > Yoshi’s Island

Yoshi’s Island was essential a Mario game with a few quirks, so to counter that I’ll use what was essentially a typical Sega platformer (Sonic/Alex Kidd) with some pretty great addition that was fun to play: Ristar’s stretchy arms.

Shining Force I & II > Super Mario RPG

Okay, so, another RPG? Right. What you’ve got there is an RPG with a quirk: it was dumbed down. What I’ll give you in exchange is the same, an RPG with a quirk. That quirk is strategy, it was one of the first really successful strategy-RPG melds, it was well-loved, brilliant, and it set the standard for all future strategy-RPGs to follow (modern stuff like Disgaea owes a lot to it). Plus, it took place in a steampunk world, where one encountered memorable characters like ancient tech androids, steam-powered armour armadillos, kung-fu hamsters, werewolves, and so on. Shining Force was incredibly imaginative, innovative, and it made most SNES RPGs look staid, uninspired, and incredibly traditional (in a derogatory sense) by comparison. Shining Force (and its sequel, especially its sequel) was years ahead of its time.

Aside from that there were marvellously innovative games like:

- Alisia Dragoon (one of the first platformers to have pets acting as buffs)
      - Bonanza Bros (a game about stealth and collecting loot, Trilby’s Art of Theft seems to have been greatly inspired by it)
      - Comix Zone (a beat ‘em up that had brilliant aesthetics, it was actually set in comic book panes, and the way the character would move between them and the graphics in general were pretty revolutionary stuff at the time)
      - Cyborg Justice (a beat ‘em up featuring robots that could use personal upgrades to create a number of very different and effective combinations, again, something that was innovative at the time)
      - Decap Attack (was… Decap Attack, you’d really have to look up videos of this one, but suffice it to say, it was like little else at the time)
      - Ecco the Dolphin (a game set in a completely underwater locale hadn’t really been done before)
      - Fatal Rewind (a vertical platformer with a rising water based challenge, pretty new at the time, and the idea has cropped up in some pretty recent indie games, which are a homage to this one)
      - Flicky (another inventive platform puzzler)
      - Forgotten Worlds (a horizontal shooter with a full axis of angles to shoot at, it was quite refreshing at the time since all other shooters only had one shooting forward, with enemies coming from the front)
      - Gunstar Heroes (Contra’s better half)
      - Herzog Zwei (one of the first true RTS-type games, came before Dune even, I think)
      - The Immortal (an RPG remembered for having very contextual combat and loads of different ways for taking down even a single foe)
      - Kid Chameleon (a platformer remembered for having numerous power-ups, each power-up introducing a completely new style of play)
      - Outrun (did the SNES really have any great car cruising games?)
      - (The) Revenge of Shinobi (a good ninja game, and again the only thing really comparable was stuff on home computers, that there were also Marvel characters as villains in it was the icing on the cake)
      - Spider-man vs the Kingpin (the first Spider-man game and I remember it being one of the best, and well-loved at the time, you don’t get more inventive than web-slinging, especially back then!)
      - (The) Story of Thor (a Zelda-like game that introduced innovations with the genies, companions that followed the hero around giving them different abilities, it was slightly Pokemon-ish in that respect long before Pokemon ever existed)
      - Toejam & Earl (I have no words for how wonderful this game was, it was an accessible and truly fun roguelike, and that may sound impossible… but you’ll realise it isn’t when you play it)
      - Traysia (a total mindfuck masquerading as an RPG, this kind of thing would probably not have been permitted on the SNES due to the censorship in that end of the market, it would’ve been considered too disturbing for kids, and it probably was)
      - Vectorman (a platformer that had all sorts of interesting things going on with upgrades, morphed forms and whatnot, look up some videos on it)

And that’s about all I can remember off the top of my head. And all though I’m sure some will be mad at me for forgetting their fave game, I think it’s pretty representative of what made the Mega Drive great, though: inventiveness, ingenuity, innovation, those three special i words that make a game something really special. The Super Nintendo had the looks, no doubt about it, it looked absolutely amazing, but the Mega Drive had the brains, it was the smart console. If they were greek Gods, the Super Nintendo would be Aphrodite, and the Mega Drive would be Athena.

There’s really nothing on the Super Nintendo that matches up to those titles, really. And there were many of them. But what also made the Mega Drive great is that it had a decent relationship going on with the computers, which meant that it saw ports like Pirates! Gold, Bubba & Stix, Dizzy, Speedball 2, all of which helped to make the console even just that little bit more unique. If you sit down in front of an RPG (say, for example) on the SNES, you know what you’re going to get, but with the Mega Drive you’ll get an RPG and perhaps something just a little bit interesting extra, something new and refreshing.

For that reason: Mega Drive > SNES

*bows.*

• Vinraith says:

Wow, if they release some of the more rare and unusual titles that could be a really fantastic thing. I’d happily pay a few bucks apiece to get Shining in the Darkness and the Genesis Shining Force games, for example, even though I already have SF1 on my DS. Herzog Zwei, Star Control, and Star Flight would also be worthwhile even if only for the nostalgia value.

• Nick says:

“a game set in a completely underwater locale hadn’t really been done before”

Um.. yeah it had.

Apart from that, I had a Snes and my friend had a Megadrive, they were both awesome. The Snes Zelda remains my favourite of the series, the Snes version of Shadowrun was brilliant.. equally the Megadrive had some superb games like Streets of Rage 2 or, as mentioned Bonanza Bros (best played in two player.. I can still hear the laugh when you picked up loot in my mind’s ear).

• Vinraith says:

@Wulf

That was brilliant. Given your full throated defense of several of my favorite games on the platform (anyone that shares my love of Shining Force and Herzog Zwei is alright by me), I shall have to look up those you mention that I missed (never heard of Landstalker, I’m afraid).

• Urthman says:

Wulf, now that you mention it the Ecco games seem more like what I enjoy about Super Metroid than what little I’ve played of Turrican, those are really fun.

Have you tried the Hurrican remake for PC? Do you think it measures up?

You forgot Beyond Oasis, which was another fun Zeldaish RPG (it’s more like Terranigma).

Yes, Toe Jam and Earl is very awesome. As was Comix Zone.

• Wulf says:

@Nick

Are you sure you’re not confusing “a game with underwater parts” with “a game set in completely underwater locales”? Also, before Ecco? Okay then, ball’s in your court. Name these games that were set in entirely underwater locales, because by my extensive knowledge of games, Ecco was actually the first to do that, but it definitely wasn’t the last. Other games which had some underwater parts and some on-land parts came before Ecco, however.

I know of plenty of games set in underwater locales, a number on the PC, even, but Ecco was released in July 1992, so you’re going to have to show me games from before that date. Colour me actually quite interested.

Other than that, no disagreements, I’m just defending the console I honestly thought was the better. A lot of what Sega has been responsible for has been forgotten, these days, but Sega’s consoles were always bastions of ingenuity and innovation, sometimes perhaps a little too much innovation and that’s why they never caught on so strong with the mainstream. Both the Saturn and the Dreamcast followed with this trend, whereas Nintendo went on to appeal to a younger/casual audience and Sony picked up the role of what Nintendo was back in the days of the SNES.

I will say though that yes, all consoles had good games, but I’m thinking of particularly brilliant, creative ones, those that were cornerstones and set the bar for similar games to follow.

@Vinraith

Landstalker was the Indiana Jones of adventure games, it’s why I loved it. One thing that really bugged me at the time (and for years to come) is that Japanese RPGs seemed to centre around people with mental problems trying to save a really shitty world that I couldn’t bring myself to care about. This is why my favourite Final Fantasy is actually IX, but I digress.

Landstalker was like Skies of Arcadia. You weren’t out to save the world, you were actually trying to find the world’s greatest treasures, your character was a professional treasure hunter and quite a well adjusted individual. It was like the first Grandia game as well, because there was this great sense of high adventure, and very little urgency. It’s very relaxed, and very fun. But depending on your spatial perception capabilities, there are some jumping puzzles you may cuss at. Aside from that it’s a game you’ll remember fondly, I think.

@Urthman

I’ve played Hurrican and it’s a bit more shooty and a bit less explorey than the average Turrican game, it’s a good game, but it feels more like Super Turrican (which was essentially Contra with a Turrican sprite) than it was like… well, Turrican. There’s a completely authentic remake of Turrican 2 available called T2002, and I’d recommend that one because it shows the more explorey side of Turrican, and in T2 there were loads, and loads, and loads of secrets.

I think Hurrican is a great game, but I don’t think it quite measures up as a Turrican game, it’s not quite open-ended enough.

As for forgetting Beyond Oasis, noap! Story of Thor was the European name for Beyond Oasis, that was another game I loved dearly, I could hardly exclude it, but perhaps I should have plonked the American name in there too, since I actually was aware of it.

And Toejam & Earl was one of my all time favourites, it’s something I still go back to every now and then, and I’d love to see a modern remake of that, with four-way multiplayer and all shiny looking, that would really be something. Sega, get on that! Please?

• Serenegoose says:

@Wulf: Shining force 2! Wulf, I had that game when I was little, and I played it ALL THE TIME, and then I lost it. I spent entire days turning the house upside down just looking for it. It’s one of the best RPGs ever made.

• Spacewalk says:

The Megadrive had a faster processor and a sound chip that didn’t muffle explosions which was great for shoot em ups. Two out of every five games released for the Megadrive were shoot em up so this is important to bring up.

• terry says:

I’m optimistic about this, but the chances of Sega actually releasing something interesting or presenting them in an interesting way or doing anything beyond shitting out a rom into a prepacked emulator is pretty much nil. They’ve been flailing desperately at holding onto their credibility since the Dreamcast tanked.

• Spacewalk says:

That’s what we need, re-released Dreamcast games. The Megadrive’s been done enough times, they need to move on.

• Delusibeta says:

This is a list of all the Mega Drive games released on the Wii’s Virtual Console: I wouldn’t be surprised if future Mega Drive for Steam games would be taken from that list.

• malkav11 says:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that there are some classic games on Genesis (/Megadrive, I guess), but for my tastes there are very few that are actually interesting to me – mostly the handful of RPGs – whereas there are so many SNES games I want to play (including a dozen or more fan-translated Japan-only releases) that I despair of ever getting around to even a fraction of them.

A lot of those comparisons are definitely judgment calls, too. I would have to play Turrican to be sure, but it looks from Wikipedia like the franchise, while supporting nonlinear exploration and secret-finding, does not have Metroid-esque permanent powerups that expand your array of moves, which is pretty much the key thing I find interesting about the Metroid franchise and other later platformers like the last few 2D Castlevanias and Shadow Complex.

• malkav11 says:

Oh, finally, a console sharing its game library with personal computers makes that console less interesting to me, not more. I’d almost always rather play games on my PC if I can. This is what prevented me from getting an Xbox for a long time. (The 360 has similar issues but has wound up being the frontrunner for console exclusives in a way that was the PS2′s domain last gen, so it was still my first console purchase this generation.)

• Wulf says:

@Serenegoose

Yep. Sad part is that only those who’ve ever played it will ever know. This is why I still think the Mega Drive was the superior console, it had so many imaginative and brilliantly creative games, it wasn’t just a dull pastiche of tried and tested nonsense, it was very experimental, it was often charming too, it was niche, but it was beautiful. And the crowned king of all of these was Shining Force II, a game where the original experiment of Shining Force had been pinned down into a well-polished formula, coupled with just a really fun world to be in and characters that were just so admirable and lovable. I can’t think of anything else at the time like that, it’s rare, really. It had a massive cast, but they were all so, so important.

It’s just a shame that probably only the UK and Japan will have sampled its joys. It’s also one of the few original cartridges I still have, and I could never part with it. There are so many fond, happy memories from playing that game. I mean, remember the bikinis and the secret, hidden things? Remember the squeaky shoes that put a cheesy grin on the main character’s face when he was wearing them? All those touches, all that love. I never really felt that level of… finesse, of attention to detail from any other console game at the time.

If there’s any game that people need to play from the Mega Drive today, it’s Shining Force II (and probably the original as well), just to experience it, the world, the characters, and how much bloody silly fun it was.

@Spacewalk

Thunderforce IV et al, eh? It stands as close to the best of the era as far as horizontal shooters are concerned, Axelay didn’t have a thing on it, nor did most shooters. The only reason I didn’t mention it is because it didn’t really innovate over other offerings, but it was definitely one of my faves.

And in regards to Dreamcast games, I can’t help but agree. PC Shenmue series? Yes. PC Ecco: Defender of the Future? Very yes. PC Skies of Arcadia? SO VERY YES. That would really be something.

@malkav

There are games I’ve mentioned with upgrade systems, though. Kid Chameleon is a brilliant game for that. I don’t agree with endless backtracking for upgrades, though, and that’s the difference between Super Metroid and Knytt Stories, really. Whereas with Knytt Stories, the upgrade would be in a particularly fun and challenging area, in Metroid I just found I was being pulled under by the verisimilitude of it all. I’d backtrack, kill some critters, kill a boss, get a power-up, and then I’d be able to pass through hte barrier. The thing is though is that the challenges were repeat acts, there was no real variety there, and that’s why I don’t think that Metroid’s upgrade system was anything special. Metroid’s bosses were really quite amazing though, but then, so were Turrican’s.

Really I think Metroid could have just put the boss in front of a potential blockage and done away with all the backtracking through very samey tunnels, and it would have been a better game for it. What I’m trying to get at though is that after playing Super Metroid, it actually felt as though the upgrade system was tacked on on top of the game, it didn’t feel fully integrated in the way that Knytt Stories did. Furthermore, I had this feeling cemented when I played Metroid Fusion, which was a really good Metroid game for the Gameboy Advance. It made travelling around fun, and it didn’t make it seem like pointless backtracking. So that was a flaw in Super Metroid, and thus I prefer not having to get the power-ups in that sort of game, since it’s just busy-work.

That’s why I prefer Turrican to Super Metroid (or any Metroid that came before Super Metroid). I honestly felt that Super Metroid was overrated, to be honest. If they’d released Metroid Fusion back then though, they would have been onto a winner.

“[...] but for my tastes there are very few that are actually interesting to me [...]”

I think this is because the Mega Drive was very experimental and niche, it did unique, interesting things, but it didn’t beat the path well travelled with its games, so the Mega Drive was less popular with those audiences because they couldn’t get to grips with a lot of the games, whereas the Super Nintendo provided a lot of similarity, and more of the same with better graphics. This is honestly why I feel that the Super Nintendo was probably more popular in some parts of the world, because some people want to sit down to have fun, they don’t want a surprising, engaging experience, they just want a game, as they understood games back then. That’s exactly what the Super Nintendo provided, and this is the divergence between the Super Nintendo and the Mega Drive.

Me? I’m the sort of person that welcomes innovation and ingenuity, I wasn’t looking for more of the same, I wanted each game to surprise me with something new, and I felt that a lot of titles on the Mega Drive were actually very good at doing that, whereas very, very few titles on the SNES were good at it. There was one title I remember, Actraiser, that had my attention. That was a great SNES game. Interestingly in Actraiser 2 the parts I liked about it (the strategy parts) were taken out because the SNES audience couldn’t get to grips with it. And that says it all right there.

“A lot of those comparisons are definitely judgment calls, too.”

Everything is. It’s all subjective. That’s why this is just for fun. :p

“Oh, finally, a console sharing its game library with personal computers makes that console less interesting to me, not more.”

So if a Mac gets less PC ports then Mac users should be happy? I think that’s nonsense, utter hogwash, at least from my perspective. See, the home computers were also a field of innovation, unlike the SNES, and they had some brilliant titles too. Bubba & Stix especially was an amazing game that properly melded puzzles and platforming, it was a welcome addition to the Mega Drive. To have them there made the Mega Drive unique. Just like the Mac having Portal and TF2 makes the Mac a better platform. To argue against this is folly, it really is.

I mean, if they were ports of boring, everyday games then I’d agree, but the games that were ported were all very well-received by critics. So how can that possibly make a console less, by giving a larger variety of appealingly innovative games? That’s as illogical as illogical gets.

• Will Tomas says:

Also, the eight-year-old-boy I was many years ago would quite happily have argued to the death that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the megadrive was the best game ever made. I’d still have it in my top 5.

• Serenegoose says:

Wulf: My favourite thing about shining force 2 was the upgrade system – I know that ‘evolving’ characters are old hat now, but the way it’d reward you for sticking with weak characters (like Sarah, the Priest) by upgrading them into hugely heavy hitters (like Sarah, the Master Monk) as a kind of nice surprise, I really enjoyed that :) Plus, I liked how you didn’t have a ‘party of 3′ but a party of however many you wanted, and they fought on a tactical grid. I vastly prefer it to the typical jrpg system.

• Bhazor says:

@ Wulf

Fire Emblem predates Shining Force by two years, I’m just putting that out there. Also Turrican better than Metroid? Wrong! No! Bad Wulf!

• malkav11 says:

I was under the impression that Kid Chameleon did not have any permanent upgrades whatsoever, instead offering Mario-esque powerups that gave a temporary new moveset with which to tackle the level’s challenges. (More elaborate, certainly, but not dissimilar in principle.) And certainly wasn’t about moving back and forth in a large open world using those permanent upgrades to explore new areas, which is the Metroid formula and what hooks me on those games (and Zelda, for that matter).

As for innovation and ingenuity – there’s some of that on Genesis, certainly. There’s also some of that on SNES although as you point out, some of the weirder shit got left in Japan. But when that innovation and ingenuity is happening mostly to SHMUPs and platformers and other such genres that leave me cold, I don’t get very excited.

FInally, the console/PC thing: the incentive for purchasing a gaming platform is to expand the range of games I can play. Since I already own and maintain a gaming PC and have no intention of changing that, any overlap between what games I can play on PC and what games I can play on that console makes the console less valuable and appealing to me. Similarly, once I have a console, any games that that console shares with another console make the new one less appealing because I can already play them – why spend the money for something new? So, last console generation I got a PS2, because there was little to no overlap with PC and tons of cool stuff to play. Then I got a Gamecube. Then finally an Xbox. Why did Xbox come last? Because the Xbox library was for many years mostly either multiconsole titles (with lead on PS2), or games originating on or ported to PC. Or both. There were very few Xbox games that were both not on PC and exclusive to that console. As it turned out, once I -got- it, it was my preferred platform for multiconsole titles because of better graphics and the hard drive. But there was little incentive to buy it.

I realize that the Genesis is no longer really on the table as far as buying it goes, but those games that were ported from or to PC are still games I might as well just play on PC, so they don’t contribute meaningfully to its library as far as I’m concerned.

• Gorbacz says:

Landstalker, Landstalker, Landstalker …

13. Bhazor says:

Awww, you stole the Bytejacker coupon. Meanies.

14. Cooper says:

Re: Gabriel Knight

Played it years ago and am currently re-playing GK1 from GoG. Excellent writing, very very good looking given that it’s such a low resolution, good mystery which, whilst it uses New Orleans & the mythos around that city (voodoo, cults etc.) as set-up, it doesn’t ever go all out fanatsy. And surprisingly, it’s really nicely voice acted. Tim Curry doing his best Southern Drawl.

Anyone who likes a good mystery / thriller should grab it, definitely.

Don’t know anything about 2 or 3 though. Other than 2 is all FMV and therefore I’ll keep away, thanks.

• RLacey says:

GK2 is, genuinely, the only FMV adventure game I can remember liking. Mainly because they seemed to get the fact that they were making a proper adventure game that happened to use lots of photgraphs and live action, rather than making a video split up by clicking on a few things. Aside from the very last puzzle (which, as with the last bit of GK3, is terrible), I honestly recommend giving it a go.

15. jeremypeel says:

If it ain’t bargain-priced soap, then it ain’t relevant.

• jeremypeel says:

Reply-fail to a spam post that no longer exists!

So, uh… just trust me it was funny, okay?

• Sarlix says:

Convenient isn’t it, that your reply should fail thus leaving no evidence of any spam, soap related or otherwise.

I submit Sir, that some 24 minuets after you cracked your joke you realized that it wasn’t having the desired effect, so you came back here and fashioned this little tale of soap spam to try and redeem yourself!.

Well Sir, the jig is up!

Wiggins, fetch the handcuffs…

• Sarlix says:

Oh noes! reply fail!

• jeremypeel says:

Itsa fair cop. Most probably karma-related as a result of my attacking a poor little spambot with no means of defence, aside from a few links to credit card fraud-related sites.

I’m sure (glad/sad) the RPS guys have (worked out/got their asses kicked by) whatever’s been causing this serial reply failure.

• Sarlix says:

Hey you made a (non reply/reply) It’s a reply, but it isn’t.

(why/are) we all (talking in/brackets)?

• jeremypeel says:

It’s progress, is what it is.

As for the brackets, I’m… not sure exactly, but I remember it having something to do with soap.

• Sarlix says:

I feel we’ve spamed up the thread more than the spam ever did, we’ve out spamed the spam. I’ve out spamed the spam, am I spam?……

“Will Sarlix come to terms with these new revelations that he could be spam? has he lost all hope? And will Mr Collins find his postage stamps? All this and more next week!”

Although as you point out there is progress with the reply button situation, so I guess our discussion could been seen as a technical one, integral for board maintenance.

• WiPa says:

This is a reply.

• WiPa says:

It didn’t work!.

Abort! Abort! Get to the mothership!

• MWoody says:

No, THIS is a reply.

16. Freudian Trip says:

I assumed you had a shedload of BB images so didn’t bother making one. I’ll get on that.

17. James G says:

I hope they extend their library a bit more from the initial few they’ve announced’ but I’m sure they will. If it ever makes an appearence, I heartily recomend Ristar, the 16bit era’s platforming swansong. It hit that glorious sweetspot of tight design, attention to detail and subtle innovation. One or two dubious localisation decisions (mainly making Ristar look more ‘angry’ in the Western release) but a fantastic game.

I think they might need to play with the pricepoint a bit. £2 is fine for the odd purchase, but I can’t help think they might want to encourage purchasing of lots of titles with either a lower price (ie. iTunes esque 79p) or perhaps with the addition of 5 game bundles for a fiver. I can see them doing the latter for the Sonic series, either lumping 3D or spinball in as number five, or possibly treating S2&K and S3&K as separate games.

18. Vague-rant says:

I was going to send in a picture of a KFC Bargain Bucket for use, but I imagine that would be some kind of copyright no-no?

19. Tei says:

FEAR is a good, long, really creppy game. But I am donloading the demo of battl^hpuzzlerobots to see if is any good.

20. MWoody says:

Given that you so recently covered the game, perhaps a link to its sale on Impulse might be an order:

Eschalon Book II, $18.74 at Impulse

Still trying to make myself put down Red Dead long enough to try the demo, and see if it’s worth my precious cash.

21. bookwormat says:

Sonic and SEGA Allstar Racing is a very good Mario Kart clone. The PC version is a 1:1 port, you will need to do the 360 controller emulation trick if you want to make this work with a different pad, and, oh yes, they completely removed the online multiplayer from the game (!).

Again, the game is lots of fun. I’m just not sure if 15 bucks is really a bargain price, considering the limitations.

22. Urthman says:

That seems like a silly way to look at it. Is Valve “punishing” people who paid $20 for Portal by giving it away free this week? Demanding what amounts to an extra discount on an already hugely discounted package of games because you already own some of them is essentially the same as saying, “Hey! Other people get Portal for free, but I already bought it, so you should give me something else free.”

If they had to retroactively give everyone who bought a game the crazy this-week-only sale price, then Valve would never have these kinds of sales.

• LewieP says:

@Urthman

That’s not what I meant.

I agree discounts shouldn’t be offered retroactively.

However, if a bundle of four (equally priced) games goes on offer, from £40 to £20, and I already own one of them (I bought it already at full price), I should be offered the bundle for £15.

• malkav11 says:

You’re being punished because you have to buy the whole pack or none of it, yet you are getting fewer games than other people buying the exact same deal.

There are two reasonable approaches for addressing this:

Option one would be to work out a fair discount price for completing the set. GoG does this all the time – the sale isn’t “$30 for this bundle,” it’s “50% off regular price for completing this bundle,” and so if you’ve got four of the six games, you get the two remaining for 50% of their combined price. (And usually 30% off if you just buy individual games in the bundle.) But it’s possible you couldn’t go as crazy with the overall discount on a bundle this way, I dunno.

Option two would be to treat the bundle like it would be treated if it were a physical good: you pay the set price, and you get copies of every game involved whether or not you already own a copy of said game. That is, you’d get an extra copy that you could gift away if you already owned a given game in the bundle.

• phlebas says:

Mm. Punished is maybe not quite the word, but the bundle could be significantly worse value if you already had some of the games.
      Funny you should say that about the free Portal though. When GOG had a Christmas giveaway of a game I already had, they did offer me a choice of games as an alternative gift.

• MWoody says:

A virtual object’s value is determined by its cost. If you pay $20 for something and then next week the price drops to free, they have taken $20 net worth from you by devaluing your property. Which is just common sense: Imagine you go to the store, buy a twinkie for a buck, and the salesperson thanks you, takes the box of twinkies, and puts the rest outside in a box labeled “free Twinkies.” Are you annoyed? Ask yourself why.

If I were them, I’d allow discounts for purchased items if there’s a sale within 2 weeks time. There’s a point where constantly discounting your product can hurt sales: I know too many people who hold out on buying things on Steam for fear of a super-sale. Hell, I avoided purchasing Arma entirely at full price under the assumption that a game like that would be cheaper soon, and then missed the extremely brief holiday sale. Adding in the 2-week grace period would lead many people to pay full price, and since there’s no way to return software, there’s no way to game the system.

• drewski says:

Actually I’d probably think “Awesome! Free Twinkies!” and take the whole box but I kinda see what you’re saying.

It happens all the time though, price cuts in retail. You just have to make sure you pay a price you find of value and then if the price drops later well, you still got what you wanted at a price you were happy with. If you just wait around forever until things stop dropping in price you’ll never actually get to play any games.

• Thermal Ions says:

@MWoody: I disagree. The value of virtual goods is based around what perceived use/enjoyment you will get out of them. It’s how we all chose a price point that we are happy to purchase our games at (bargain bucket ones included). Sure it sucks when 2 days after purchasing you discover that if you’d waited you could have got it at less than your preferred price point (caught myself a couple of weeks back), but it’s not like retroactive discounting / refunds is the norm in any sphere.

Of course it could also be argued that resale value defines the value of goods – which of course means all digital download games have a value of Zero.

• malkav11 says:

I really think that discounts of individual games you’ve already purchased are a different matter. As far as that goes, I buy games at a price I’m willing to pay for them. Is it a little annoying if they then become cheaper later, especially if I haven’t gotten around to playing them yet? Sure. But I made the judgment call to buy it when I did and there’s no point complaining about it.

It’s when I want other games in a bundle but not badly enough to pay the full bundle price for them when I’ve already got most of it that it becomes an issue, especially if Steam hasn’t bothered to discount the component games individually. (And they often don’t.)

23. Samuel says:

It’s also worth pointing out that D2D has Empire: Total War at $10.50. And, Steam will let you register the CD key, so you don’t have to deal with D2D after buying, if you don’t want to.

• Alexander Norris says:

Don’t buy Empire, it is terrible. Absolutely not worth buying if you’re ever going to get Napoleon. If you want a 18th/19th century Total War, get Napoleon instead – at least it’s actually functional (Empire’s diplomacy AI refuses every peace deal unless you offer it everything you own, even if they’re losing, even if they’re down to their last city, even if they started the fucking war in the first place – which makes it impossible to end a war except by wiping every single country that DoWs you off the map).

• Vinraith says:

@Samuel

What Alexander said. Also:

And, Steam will let you register the CD key

No, Steam requires you to register the CD key, as the game has Steamworks and can’t run without Steam.

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

@ Alexander Norris: I suspect the diplomacy AI has had a bit of a tweak since you last played. I’ve just signed a peace deal with the Marathas who had been fruitlessly bashing their heads against Baluchistan for God knows how many turns, with the only sweetener being 10 or 20 turns of military access. I’m actually rather surprised I’m not at war with more countries given that the only faction which doesn’t actively hate revolutionary Russia is Poland-Lithuania, who seem to be just drumming their fingers affecting an air of nonchalance as Prussia rampage through their territories. It’s certainly much less of slog than Rome or Medieval 2 could be, although I don’t deny that the AI has its little (read ‘whopping great’) eccentricities.

24. LewieP says:

Only just realised that I didn’t pick a deal of the week.

Also only just saw the comment about Pripyat being available for people who bought Shadow of Chernobyl from anywhere, not just Impulse. Updating now. That’s a great deal, especially for people that got the original for £3.50 in the Steam megasale.

25. DJ Phantoon says:

Why on earth isn’t Free Portal in the list? There’s still two days of completely free Portal!

26. JohnArr says:

I like how Jim suggests you plan things :P

27. Alexander Norris says:

The Club is really more of a racing game that happens to involve men with guns and the third-person perspective – it involves memorising the tracks to shave the most possible seconds off your total and get the highscore. The actual shooting is pretty mediocre, but overall the game is fun and does something fairly original.

28. LewieP says:

I was going to mention Portal again, but aperture science said that only authorised aperture science representatives were allowed handle recruitment for the Portal Project.

Then they threw me in an incinerator.

29. John Peat says:

Minor point about Sonic Sega Allstars Racing on PC

It has NO MULTIPLAYER WHATSOEVER

Yes, you read that right, a Mario Kart-alike which has NO online multiplayer whatsoever…

Moving along…

30. John Peat says:

p.s. read that as NO ONLINE MULTIPLAYER – it does local multi just fine if that’s your bag

31. Cal says:

The Alpha Protocol character threw more for a loop earlier this week, thought I had maybe pulled the trigger on the pre-order too early and missed out a special…

32. pupsikaso says:

And what about Combat Mission?

33. WiPa says:

“…or at least issue gift copies when you’ve paid for something twice.”

I had this exact problem.
    I bought the Source Multiplayer Pack for myself last year, when i already had CS:S and HL2:DM, i only wanted DOD:S. I was going to gift the 2 spare copies to my fiancee. What i didn’t realise is that spare copies are only available for HL2 and it’s sequels.
    However the service on Steam Support was brilliant, i bought the pack on the other account after a chat with one of their Customer Service guys and they gave me a full refund as a “one time customer service gesture”.

That said, they should really do something about it. If you buy a game when you already have it, you should recieve two copies, digital or otherwise.

34. SirKicksalot says:

I love The Club. Didn’t it bomb really bad sales-wise? I remember something about forgetting to print the CD keys, so SEGA ended up giving one to anybody that e-mailed them…

35. MWoody says:

Hunh. It seems comments replying to spam still show up, but a) after all other posts regardless of time and b) can no longer support threaded replies.

36. Natus says:

Any love for Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood? I’d like to be playing *some* Western while my friends are all RDR-ing it. It’s only ten pinches of gold dust, after all.

• Oak says:

It’s great! I’ve been babbling inarticulate praise at its every mention since picking it up on a whim last year.

• Wilson says:

@Natus – I really enjoyed both Call of Juarez games. It’s so nice to play a Western shooter, and I think they both did a really good job. I think Bound in Blood is the latest one? I certainly enjoyed it, though I may have preferred the original just a bit. But yeah, on offer I’d definitely go for it!

37. Sean w/o an H says:

Glad I could contribute… I was excited (and a little skeptical) that this would work, but it’s working out great :) And I do agree – from the little i’ve played, it’s definitely the best STALKER mechanically… and call me crazy, but the opening area has a different feel than Clear Sky or Chernobyl. More… isolated and lonely, less “ooh get eaten by anomalies and harassed by dogs” (though there’s plenty of that too).

38. Kadmon says:

Speaking of incomplete Sega packs, wanna know what you get for your $89.99 if you live in their home territory, Japan? The Coalition Battle Pack, Sonic Racing and Universe at war. Cheers Sega…

39. Lambchops says:

Damn you Steam. You made me do it! i’ve only gone and bought Football Manager 2010.

I’ve been religiously avoiding buying Football Manager games after seeing so many people horrendously addicted to them. I can really see myself going the same way. Oh dear.

40. Huggster says:

Men of War series is superior to CoH in every way.
    For example, you do not have health bars on tanks but instead accurate damage modelling according to armour sloping, thickness etc., so the larger gun take out light tanks in one hit etc.
    Proper inventory for soldiers and names so you can grow fond of them like X:Com, though not always persistent through levels.
    Its just a more in depth game generally, though faces of war was a bit vrap the other two are fine. (SHOWW2, MoW, MoWRT look fine from demo)

• Wilson says:

@Huggster – I would contest that, actually. MoW is far superior in many ways to CoH, yes, but again they aren’t really similar games. I think the strengths of MoW are also it’s weaknesses really. Pro: I can pick up an AT weapon off a fallen enemy, then sneak up and grenade an enemy tank. Con: If your guys run out of ammo, have fun rearming them all individually! Pro: The cover is more realistic, as is shooting in general. Con: Your guys are a bit too dumb for that, and get gunned down mercilessly if you leave them alone for too long.

Maybe there’s a trick to it, but I’ve never really been able to play MoW as a purely commanding game. If I don’t leap in and get involved with individual soldiers, I can’t win. Many missions come down to me controlling soldiers one at a time to blow up a few enemies and then repeating that. I understand taking individual command may be the point, in which case you can’t compare it to CoH, because they aren’t aiming for the same thing. Also, there’s no skirmish mode. Though it does have coop :)

• Huggster says:

I guess so. I think I just don’t like the “bases making units” thing – in CoH I just ended up making heavy tanks on maps which I could and dominating the AI.
      MoW reminds me too much of Commandos which was rock hard (In a good way at the time!). now I would not touch a game as hard as Commandos.

41. modern panther says:

this is all getting way to meta

42. Lambchops says:

Actually this is how you do a reply.

KG

43. LewieP says:

Good news about the Mega Drive thing. It’s a funny coincidence that I was just musing about it, and it turns out they were already doing it.

I love the Mega Drive, there are a lot of fantastic, really interesting games on it, it’s probably SEGAs golden era if you ask me, although the Dreamcast was obviously fantastic too.

I do think I prefer the SNES though, even though I grew up on the Mega Drive. It’s a shame Nintendo would never do this because they still have consoles, and make plenty of money charging over the odds for games people already paid for on a cartridge.

44. PHeMoX says:

Very cool cheap games indeed, but I would totally not recommend The Club. It’s pretty much just severely dated 3rd person shooter stuff that has already been done a million times better in newer games.

Not worth spending money on in my opinion, but I could see why one wouldn’t really care if it comes with a bundle.

45. D says:

FEAR is like the Ninja Gaiden of FPS’s. I have huge respect for the game, simply down to how good it feels to control. It’s especially awesome if played on “extreme”, without using the slowmo. However, shooting grenades in midair is the allowed exception.

• D says:

Ha I totally just beat all the reply spam and ended up at the original spammers position above you guys :) Total nonreply win.

46. Chris says:

Call that a reply? THIS is a reply

Croc Dundee ;)

47. Unimural says:

All the Gabriel Knight games are worth playing, if you like adventure games. They aren’t easy, or rather each of the games have some tricky puzzles. But, you see, the thing is. While they have some nice puzzles here and there, I love the GK games mostly due to everything else besides the gameplay. The characters, the story and the atmosphere.

And while that might not be the highest praise a game can get, an experience could not be rated higher by me. I guess there’s an essay or atleast a rant in that idea.

Comment on this story