Scratching That Witch: New Witcher 2 Details

By Kieron Gillen on May 24th, 2010 at 8:28 pm.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WANT TO SEX ME?

VG247 are reporting new details and grabs emerging from Namco’s Pre-E3 press event in Spain. Well, “details” is a bit much – it’s all very much generalities. That said, things like “no fed ex missions” is going to be an interesting one to watch, if only to see if they actually do it (In the same way MMO devs claim “No Kill 10 Boar quests” before inevitably having Kill 10 Boar quests.) A quote on sex and eroticism screams out, promising it’ll be dealt with in “a much more realistic, involving and mature way, thanks to which sexual relationships are presented more credibly than in TW1.” You know, a meaner commentator than I would take that as a Mea Culpa. Still: I’m increasingly excited about this. And it’s still due for early 2011, apparently. Yays.

, , .

1. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Fed Ex missions: Where you go to deliever something to a person at a time where they arent home for about a week, then make them come pick up the package themeslves.
    Then, hit them with some extra charge, and hassle the person with letters till they pay, eventually threataning to ruin their credit balance unless they comply.

Those missions?

• DrGonzo says:

That is so very true. And most likely I will be on the receiving end of this when it’s released and Amazon screw up my delivery as usual.

• The Great Wayne says:

In fact, FedEx missions could be interesting, if only they all ended on an island, with a volley ball as sole companion and an urge to pull out your own tooth using an ice-skate.

But that would be too much alike that another thing, y’know…

Robinson’s Requiem.

• leeder_krenon says:

given that this is a british website, i hereby request that the writers on here refer to “fedex” missions as “parcelforce” missions. thank you very much. i read you every day.

• Heliosicle says:

I think Kieron was quoting whatever was said in that article leeder.

2. ZIGS says:

Can’t wait for this, The Witcher was AWESOME!

• abase says:

Why??? Oh why???????? They have changed the Gerald to look like this glamorous moron???? Where is the old grim and rude son of the b… witch????

3. DrGonzo says:

Very excited about this. I’ve been enjoying Dragon Age but just don’t have the motivation to finish the damn thing. This looks more atmospheric and maybe a little less generic than Dragon Age.

4. Zaphid says:

This is like the most pointless PR speak ever.

5. Clovis says:

When I saw that title, was I supposed to immediately think, “My balls itch”?

6. Bureaucrat says:

Eh. I finally tried the Witcher a few months ago and was thoroughly underwhelmed. Played until a little ways into Vizima before I couldn’t take it anymore. The combat-as-rhythm-game was dull, repetitive, and easy– too simplistic to be tactically interesting or challenging in an action-game sense. And the writing failed because I didn’t meet a single character (including my own) who inspired much interest or emotional investment. When the Player Character is an unlikeable jackass, the developers have to work extra hard to make the gameworld something worth fighting for (or against). Building the gameworld instead to enable the PC’s sexist jackassery and filling the plot with “no-win” choices just leaves me without much motivation to continue.

• Bhazor says:

Witcher really does have a terrible first few hours. It gets much better after that but really I can understand people giving up before then. Pretty much the same as KOTOR 2 and Mother 3 really.

The combat in particular gets considerably when you have to swap between styles and weapons in the middle of a fight and find the right mixture of oils and potions to survive the big bads.

• manveruppd says:

Yes, Chapter 2 in particular was horribly dull, but Ch3 got a lot more interesting, worth sticking with it.

• blargh says:

Like they said, Chapter 3 is where the game really picks up.

• Bureaucrat says:

Even so, I don’t feel all that uncomfortable concluding that a game that doesn’t “pick up” until you’re 15 hours into it is not a particularly worthwhile game.

(And I liked the opening part of KotOR 2. That actually set up some interesting mysteries and set the player to solving them in a satisfying fashion with interesting supporting characters. The Witcher, by comparison, set up 1 interesting mystery– what happened to Geralt over the last 5 years– and set the player to hunting for some unrelated McGuffin and compulsively shagging everything in sight.)

7. Danarchist says:

I like the Witcher allot but I got stuck on some crappy mission with a giant spider chasing me through a cave. I could never pull it off, not as fast as I used to be in my glory days I guess. I refused to use any kind of cheat so I just gave up and ended up giving it to my little brother. He plays it religiously, he also found some site that had down loadable player made adventures, armors, gear, even one that had a expansion onto the talents and skills that were available in the original. Thats allot of coding, seriously! A couple weeks ago I went to pick him up for the gym and he was fighting one of the coolest looking boss monsters I have ever seen, the guy that wrote the graphics for that mod deserves a statue of himself somewhere.
    Seriously regretting giving it up now lol! When 2 comes out I will greedily keep it installed until I have sucked every tasty minute out of it. Unless theres a giant spider chasing me through a cave again, then screw it.

• TeeJay says:

@ Danarchist
      I seem to recall having to…
      *******SPOILER WARNING*************
      shoot out the ceiling beams

8. Wop says:

Did anyone else notice that he has sheaths for his swords now? I nerdgasmed when I saw that; it’s the thing that almost always left out of great RPGs for some reason, seeing my daggers floating on my back in dragon age was a MAJOR immersion breaker.

9. Tei says:

I am really impressed by the first,… sessions (missions? areas?) like the party where you get drunk where awesome. Fedex missions? we know witcher is way better than that crap!!.

Vandelay says:

Looking promising, although some of those shots are suffering from an over the top use of depth of field effects. One had a lot of bloom too, but that seemed to be the exception.

I’m glad they will be making the sexual issues in the game a little more complex. The ability to bed pretty much every female character was slightly off putting, but the “reward” for doing so was verging on unpleasant. I know people are going to say that you didn’t have to sleep with them, but that doesn’t stop the fact that they created a “gotta catch ‘em all” vibe with the cards. Changing the type of character Geralt was or altering the dialogue in certain instances would have been a much more affective and far less cheap way of acknowledging the way the player was acting in the world.

I just hope they manage to make a few gameplay improvements. I loved the game, but I would have liked to have seen many more chances to customise your character. The skills weren’t that interesting or diverse and you stuck with the same weapons throughout most of the game. A bit more variety would be a really welcome addition.

11. Collic says:

This is going to be great. I’m convinced of this – you’ll see !

12. blargh says:

W00t! Bring it on!

Pretty much the only game I’m excitedly anticipating.

13. InfernoX says:

Thankfully there’s even a mod for the first game that adds Scabbards into the game.

Good to see it’s gonna be an official thing in The Witcher 2 though.

14. The Sombrero Kid says:

• blargh says:

Please, do explain. How exactly was it misogynistic?

• Bhazor says:

Because no woman has ever chosen to have sex ever.

• Collic says:

I’m convinced this misogyny claim is only propagated by people who are either incredibly over sensitive, or haven’t actually played the game.

Gerald screwing his way through the adventure was true to the source material. Feel free to not like that, and the playing cards angle was admittedly misjudged, but writing the game off as that completely ignores the adult themes and moral choices the game excelled at. No other game I’ve played makes you feel the consequences of the morally grey choices taken throughout. It certainly handles it a lot more meaningfully than Bioshock did, for example, or any other RPG I can think of.

Even Dragon Age mostly had the traditional Good, Evil and Neutral approaches to problem solving. You were occasionally surprised, but those morally questionable choices aren’t the exception in The Witcher; it’s something that colours every action you take as you play.

• subversus says:

@the Sombrero Kid
      who the fuck needs you to enjoy it? go play other games

• Rinox says:

Spoilers

If anything, Geralt has some of the most interesting romantic tensions (Triss, Shani) in most modern RPG’s. He actually doubts about giving into his obvious love for Shani, a non-sex bomb idealistic girl, because of the fact that he’s a mutant and therefore sterile as well as prone to attract danger/be attracted to it. How women-hating.

Men have sex with women they don’t love. It happens. If they are sexy, dangerous, mutanty brooding types who can’t transfer STD’s or get someone pregnant they have a LOT of sex with women they don’t love. It makes sense.

The only thing that was off were the cards. And those were easily ignored.

Vandelay says:

I think the problem with the sex cards was the fact that they never felt right in the mature world The Witcher was trying to create. Raising sexual issues in a game where you play someone that has been made impotent and is seen as a hero by some and a monster by others is a perfectly valid path to take. The problem comes when you boil it down to childish trading cards. It tarred the image of the game and the world they had done a great job of creating. No, it wasn’t a big deal when you actual play the game, but that didn’t stop it being very crass.

Hearing them acknowledging this mistake and actively trying to make that aspect more mature in the sequel can only be a good thing.

And it certainly wasn’t misogynistic. I used that word myself once when discussing it and was rightfully corrected. There is nothing women hating about the game.

• Tei says:

“given the witcher 1 was misogynistic tripe they’d have to have shot the whole dev team and started again to make me want to play it.”

Why? we can’t have a dude in the medieval world, acting like people in the medieval world?, we have had some genre victorys over discrimination, but these things are SXX and SXXI. If you show a guy from the SXV or things like that… MUST be some level of discriminatory, because thats how that society was.
      I don’t know you, but I appreciate *more* forms of act that does some research, and try to show historical (or pseudohistorical) world in a realistic way.

AndrewC says:

It’s got dragons in it, Tei. Stop talking about historical accuracy.

• Bureaucrat says:

Of the females in the game who they bothered to give names to, 100% of them were either attainable sexual conquests, cathouse madams, or old crones. The developers (or whoever wrote the sorce material they were drawing from) might not have been literally “woman hating.” But they sure didn’t concern themselves much with portraying the gender in anything other than the light that a particularly boorish 14-year-old would prefer to see them.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

it’s interesting people assume I was saying the geralt character was misogynistic, when I said the game was misogynistic. A misogynist is someone who believes women inferior, the hated aspect is implied, I believe the game portrays women as sub-human automatons solely motivated by their crotch, not that it communicates a hatred of women.

it is categorically fantastic to construct a world, in which, every woman a character meets displays an overt desire to sleep with them, that fantasy comes from a place of only being able to interact with women on one level, which says a lot about either the creators misogyny or the creators perception of rpg games demographic as misogynists. Either way it offended me a hell of a lot more than the cynical publicity stunt of No Russian, that at least was at least designed as a negative experience.

The funny thing is that if the sexuality in the game had been reduced to just the cards, excluding the ridiculous characterisation, it would not have been to my mind misogynistic, it wasn’t the cards or the geralt character that expresses it, it’s all the other characters.

• Uhm says:

There’s a cunning streak with the cards, however. In that they become more tangible rewards when some vampiress, or whatever, promises you sex for saving her life (rather than just fading out and back in as most games would have done). Do you give in to curiosity to see her card, or uphold your duty as a monster slayer?

To some, it would make the choice that little bit harder, making the seduction more effective (the cards also appeal to OCD gamers as something to collect, so it works there too). They were perhaps not as clever with it as they could have been. But it adds another dimension to things.

I remember there were often alternative rewards you could take too, if you wanted to be an abstinent Geralt.

15. Bremze says:

You know, the sex cards were one of the best things in the game, because whenever someone complained about them, you would know that either they hadn’t played the game at all or they were angry at the game for reminding them of their willingness to stick it into anything that walks on two legs.

You could play through the whole game without seeing them, but that is never brought up, is it?

16. blargh says:

@Bremze:

So true.

oceanclub says:

I don’t get the annoyance over the trading cards. In a game that lasted, oh, 100 hours for me, these cards took up, oh, about 1 minute of screen time, if that much. Reading the PC Gamer UK review, I honestly this was a major part of the game; not something that you’d miss if you blinked a few times. It’s extraordinary that people can worked about this (at worst, it’s tacky) and not about the blatant racism and jingoism that many games have.

P.

18. Magic H8 Ball says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    Gerald screwing his way through the adventure was true to the source material.

According to source material Geralt is fucking dead so I don’t think you can play that card here.

Oh yeah. Spoilers.

• blargh says:

When has death ever stopped anyone from having sex?

0.0

0.o

o.0

That didn’t sound right at all….

• Collic says:

I posted under the name Collic, the name I always use, thanks. And the witcher does reflect the source material pretty damn well.

19. yogSo says:

Do you know what I’m really excited about? After a long wait the last book of Geralt’s saga (Lady of the Lake) is going to be edited in Spain, just in a few days. Finally! And that means that soon I will be able to play The Witcher without having to worry about spoilers. So now I’m really looking forward to The Witcher 2 as well.

20. leeder_krenon says:

aye, but my point remains.

21. jsdn says:

More realistic, involving, and mature sex/relationships? How does it get more realistic, involving or mature to have sex with hookers for money, seducing desperate women (not derogatory; men are just as desperate, it’s completely normal), and having to decide between two women you are romantically involved with. How does it get more realistic than that?

• Rinox says:

Sterile relationships with extalted female figures of virtue in which you get pregnant by kissing? That would be the answer of 95% of romances in games history, anyway.

• jsdn says:

The sexual maturity of The Witcher was one of the few things I really liked about it (I didn’t make to chapter 3, I don’t think). Not because it was lewd, but because it was real. I see between the lines of that comment about The Witcher 2 being more “mature”, and what I see is censorship.

22. aeiou260199038 says:

This looks more atmospheric and maybe a little less generic than Dragon Age.

23. abase says:

Why??? Oh why???????? They have changed the Gerald to look like glamorous moron??? Where ther old grim and mature son of the b.. witch??? Arghhhh