Speedticular Bicyles: SBK-X Demo

By Kieron Gillen on May 26th, 2010 at 1:23 pm.

Look once, look twice, think bike, think I WILL NEVER BUY A BIKE THEY ARE CRAZED MACHINES! CRAZED!

RPS know almost as much about bike-racing as foot-to-ball. As such, we’re all sure to be absorbed in SBK-X when it hits. Until then, here’s a demo, featuring the Portimao track, where you have to dodge between portable miniature Communist Chinese Leaders without dying or something. Four weather modes are included, plus two drivers: Max Biaggi and Cal Curthlow, who are the quick but fast characters and the speedy but nippy characters respectively. You can download the 700Mb demo from here or watch some footage below…

, , , .

1. Mr Labbes says:

Quick but fast? Am I missing something here?

• Radiant says:

Yeah you know brisk but snappy?

• Mr Labbes says:

I was suspecting that I was missing a joke right there. Oh well.

• Kieron Gillen says:

No, it was a joke. As in, normally you would say “Quick but weak” or “Strong but slow”. Instead, you use two positives. We often do it as a “I’ll pick the strong but fast character – you select the weak but slow character” or something like that.

RPS needs its own AP2 to explain all its running jokes, I fear.

KG

• Radiant says:

@KG
      We could have strung him along for at least eight replies there :(
      Tough but firm.

• Mr Labbes says:

You can hardly blame me for not knowing what “nippy” means – do people even use that word?
      Also, can I take off my idiot cap now?

• Sarlix says:

“Do people even use that word?”
      Yes of course!
      “it’s a bit nippy out there”
      “it’s a bit nippy in here”
      “cor’ tis a bit nippy!”
      Or you could say
      “that bikes nippy”
      “she’s a bit nippy”
      “I like to twizzle nips”
      err…better forget that last one.

2. Radiant says:

Needs more Super Cycle music.

3. Player1 says:

well, to be honest Moto GP 3 on my trusty old Xbox (yes, the old one) looks and sounds better imo.

4. Diogo Ribeiro says:

“RPS know almost as much about bike-racing as foot-to-ball”

and ass-to-mouth, surely.

• Starky says:

You never go ass-to-mouth.

• jeremypeel says:

You know, early yesterday, a reference like that to Clerks 2 would’ve had me chuckling. Now, since RPS forced me to look up Human Centipede, ‘ass-to-mouth’ just fills me with unspeakable horror.

…I hope somebody takes advantage of the great set-up in that last sentence.

• Alex Bakke says:

I know what you mean. Man, the people at the back must get such a shitty deal.

5. Sarlix says:

It’s not really a motorbike game unless you can hit the other riders with iron bars and metal chains.

6. Brulleks says:

@jeremypeel

I think you just did.

Although it’s tempting to add ‘you’re full of shit’ or something similar…

7. arqueturus says:

As I know about these things, the second rider’s name is Cal Crutchlow, who’s in the vid I think but as I also know about these things that’s not Portimao but Valencia in the vid.

Finally, as I know about these things, motorbike racing sims NEVER work, it just never translates to a game properly, although arcade based games on bike racing do, oddly enough.

• Jason Moyer says:

I think it’s a control issue. For a proper motorbike sim you really need a way to translate the rider’s weight movement into what’s happening in the sim, and I’ve never seen that work outside of arcade bike games.

8. Heyhuub says:

Just played the demo on full simulation and actually works great once you get the hang of it. Very playable with the keyboard and the bike moves around very realisticly, especially with the onboard camera. Big improvement compared to 09. Very intense too with the onboard cam, with 250kp/h towards a 1st gear corner, hard on the brakes, shifting down the gears, the back-end starting to step out and still try too keep it in line to make the corner. Great stuff.

And bike sims can work very well, GP500 and SBK2001 are some of the best and most playable sims i’ve ever played. Even compared to car sims.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Yeah but they still don’t ‘really’ work, for them to work properly it would have to hurt when you crash.

9. Ape says:

I don’t get it. Just can’t get round corners without crawling, even then only just.

Is this me or the game?

Ok, I guess it’s me.

10. iSoLateD1 says:

I may be off base, but I seem to think it looks worse then last years SBK game from Milestone. Also, its boring in arcade mode. No reason to buy it if you like arcade racers like Split Second and Blur. Also, big honking black bars on the top and bottom of the screen when played in my lcds native res, I hate when games are letterboxed.