By Jim Rossignol on May 27th, 2010 at 5:50 pm.
1c and DigitalMindSoft have sent word that there is to be a new game in the Men of War series: Assault Squad. This is intended to be an expandalone focusing on the skirmish, co-op and multiplayer elements of the existing game. There will be new multiplayer maps, and 4-player online and LAN co-op. It’s also going to expand the feature set a bit for your little men, with hero units, “remote controlled bombs that can flatten entire residential blocks, airstrikes able to destroy incoming tank columns, special “For the Motherland!” charge attacks.” Even more interestingly: “the ability to buy individual soldiers to suit players’ needs the ability to buy individual soldiers to suit players’ needs.” Full press release below, and I’ll have even more details next week, along with some assets. Exciting!
Title: Men of War: Assault Squad
Release date: Q3 2010
Developer: DMS/Best Way
Publisher: 1C Company
Genre: RTT / Third-Person Action
MEN OF WAR: ASSAULT SQUAD IN DEVELOPMENT
MOSCOW, Russia – May 27, 2010 – Leading Eastern and Central European publisher, 1C Company, announced today the development of Men of War: Assault Squad, the sequel to the critically acclaimed real-time tactics game Men of War. This stand-alone expansion features a completely new cooperative skirmish game mode with access to five different nations (Russia, Germany, USA, Commonwealth and – for the first time ever in the Men of War series – Japan) as well as increased realism and accessibility. The expansion pack will deliver fans and newcomers an intense new WW2 spectacle with almost limitless replayability.
What makes the new skirmish game mode so unique?
· Different historical settings and battlegrounds for every nation will ensure that each time players will face a different variety of enemies and tactics.
· Unique hero units for every nation with powerful abilities such as increasing units’ firepower, boosting morale or providing other advantages to defeat the enemy against all odds.
· Fantastic bonus abilities such as remote controlled bombs that can flatten entire residential blocks, airstrikes able to destroy incoming tank columns, special “For the Motherland!” charge attacks and many more.
· Improved and dynamic AI ensures that no two games will play out the same way, making each battle a new experience against an AI that really fights back.
· Choose from a variety of scenario locations ranging from Western Europe, to Eastern Europe, North Africa and the Pacific.
· The ability to play this impressive game mode with up to four friends in LAN or cooperative online play.
· New multiplayer maps and game settings
· Improved multiplayer balancing to provide a more authentic use of equipment and vehicles
· Overhauled infantry squads and the ability to buy individual soldiers to suit players’ needs
· More realistic weapon behavior and penetration values
· A reworked artillery system that provides innovative assault and defense strategies
· New types of ammunition that increase the depth of tank combat
Men of War: Assault Squad takes place across the globe during the height of World War II and features five different armies each with their own unique units, vehicles and abilities. The game also features the unique “direct control” feature which enables players to maneuver units using the directional keys, rather than pointing and clicking. PC Generals can get behind the controls of a tank to smash through obstacles, crush soldiers under its tracks and fire armor-piercing shells at enemy emplacements, or take control of individual soldiers as they fight. More information about the game can be found at www.menowargame.com