Adam West On Videogames

By Kieron Gillen on May 28th, 2010 at 8:47 am.

Videogame scaremongers are a cowardly, superstitious lot.

Let’s start the day with something which made me smile last night, via 1UP. Adam West in a guest editorial of Videogaming and Computergaming Illustrated. Key quote…

In the same way a painting allows us to gaze upon the faces and souls of people from another age, or a book permits us to linger on the thoughts of great figures from history and fiction, videogames can expand our awareness of the world as it is, was, or might be. The medium is still in its infancy, but read this again in a few years and see if this prediction hasn’t come true: as videogaming grows, we will grow.

If only as many non-gamers could look at the form with a similarly open mind. You’ll find the rest here.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Sarlix says:

Holy open mindedness batman!

A good read.

2. Ian Roberts says:

What a dude. Much respect.

3. Ian says:

Why doesn’t Batman dance anymore?

4. Mungrul says:

I’d be intrigued to see someone do a follow-up with West, showing him that article and asking what his opinions are now.

JB says:

Oh yes, that needs a follow-up for sure. RPS, I reckon you’re the men for the job.

• Sarlix says:

“Somewhere deep below the earths crust, in the secret RPS subterranean cave, a phone flashes from red to non-red, and back again. Is this another job for our fearless foursome?”

[insert spinning effects and dramatic music]

5. The Dark One says:

What a delightful point of view.

6. Magic H8 Ball says:

The medium is not in its infancy. We had a golden era back in the nineties. Now it’s elevator to hell.

• Collic says:

No, It is in it’s infancy.

Look at other media and how long they’ve been around. Gaming has hit it’s ‘big business’ period; lots of commercial, brainless fodder. But, despite that we are starting to see independent studios, and games shine.

• Collic says:

is *still* in it’s infancy I should stress.

• Lilliput King says:

Holy commenting-without-reading-the-linked-post, H8 Ball!

• Manfromtheweb says:

I believe that gaming is now in it’s teen years. Still forming it’s own identity and rebelling against it’s elders (or perceived to be rebelling).

7. Tom OBedlam says:

I’ve been forwarding this to everyone I know, incredibly prescient, eh?

8. RakeShark says:

I did have a thought about this kinda thing, the featured quote on this side of the jump.

Books stimulate our imagination.
    Movies stimulate our emotions.
    TV stimulates our attention.
    Video games stimulate our senses.

Sure all four mediums touch upon all the other targets, but for the most part they have a primary focus.

But wow, didn’t know West has/had that opinion. That almost sounds like grounds for a follow-up interview with him about that.

• modern panther says:

So independant games, movies exist to make money? That also isn’t true.

9. Sobric says:

Batman vs Ebert

But should it be a film or a game?

• Ian says:

Both. The movie follows Ebert’s side of the story. The game follows Batman’s.

10. Britpunk says:

I love you, Adam Wee.

Batman 1939 needs to happen.

Sagan says:

Reading that, it could have also been said today. We still claim that video games are in their infancy. He was correct seventeen years ago, but we can no longer say that.

Mainstream gaming has reached puberty, and a lot of commercially less successful titles can only be called mature.

Thinking about it, I don’t even know why we claim that games are still in their infancy. A little googling reveals that it is mostly associated with the games as art debate. But I don’t see how it is any longer necessary to claim that, when we have properly artful games out there.

• Muzman says:

I was just going to say something like that. Print this today and it’d still be current. That’s a bit of a problem.
      I guess if you compared it to film, new technologies, while ultimately improving things, often caused a bit of a halt in progress first. Sound’s the most obvious example, with early sound recording causing as many restrictions as additions to the medium; locking down cameras and actors while we worked it out.
      Gaming has had geometric improvements in various aspects over the last decade or two. Every time gaming attempts to get its groove on it gets slapped with a new thing or ten. Not much of an excuse I guess. Each product could still have been of high artistry if people wanted it to. But it does go some way to explaining things, I reckon.
      Maybe now the detail curve is starting to level off it’ll help? Or maybe it actually isn’t. I’m not sure sometimes.

• Nesetalis says:

I’ve noticed this same opinion… games are not infants.. they are almost venerable now.. many of our population were born long after the birth of video games and are having children themselves :P

• Bret says:

Venerable?

I mean, really. Is it so hard to imagine points between infancy and full maturity?

Games have been around for a while, and we’re really starting to see what they can do. I mean, look at Portal, or Braid, or Hello World. Games let us easily comprehend very complicated spatial and chronal reasoning tricks nearly impossible to properly convey in other mediums.

Or look at Deus Ex. Player involvement modifying narrative and allowing a good deal of creativity to boot.

On the other hand, compared to any other major medium, it’s still the punk kid.

• MajorManiac says:

I’d like to imagine the same conversation was had about Movies back at the begining of the 20th centry, or even Rock ‘n Roll at the middle of the centry.

Perhaps we should have a standard way to define an art form as reaching ‘Maturity’. Perhaps like the term antique it should need to be at least 100 years old.

Music, Art, Theatre and Dancing have existed for thousands of years. To call a medium that has been around for just over 3 decades ‘Mature’ by comparison seems extremely niave. If we’re not comparing it to other mediums, what are we comparing it to? If we compare it to its-self then we can make any claim imaginable.

12. Dawngreeter says:

Now that’s a real superhero for you.

13. The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

Proof positive: Adam West is a fucking hero.

14. Schmung says:

Adam West pretty much predicts Arkham Asylum nearly two decades before it’s release. Respect.

• Springy says:

Nearly two decades? It says this is from 1983. This editorial is older than I am. Rather nicely done there, Mister West.

• RagingLion says:

Yep, that’s what I was thinking. Was bound to happen sometime I guess with Batman being such an iconic figure that continues to have all kinds of media produced about him.

15. jokermatt999 says:

He also did a wonderful job as the Colonel in XIII, mostly thanks to his amazing voice.

16. Wulf says:

I’m not surprised, really, at all. In fact, I would’ve been massively disappointed if the opposite were true. I grew up watching 60’s Batman, and absolutely loving that show, and I’d have bet my house that an actor like that could not be closed-minded.

Mind you, I’d be equally disappointed if I heard something negative about Tennant or Matt Smith, but they’re much the same. I think that the more eccentric and silly an actor is, the more markedly open-minded they’re likely to be. And consider: to act in something like 60’s Batman, you just can’t take yourself that seriously, can you?

It’s my opinion that a lot of closed-mindedness comes from people who take themselves far, far too seriously, and look upon everything in a rigid way. This might have something to do with brain plasticity, I don’t know, but rigid people see things as the way things were and the way they have to be, they hate change, and therefore any form of new idea seems completely radical.

I’ve always liked Adam West because he never struck me as that sort of person, so to see that he’s open-minded about gaming? Unsurprising!

• Dawngreeter says:

You, sir, deserve at least one cookie. I agree completely. In fact, I think the only political spectrum that makes sense is the one which represents polar opposites as people who take themselves seriously and people who do not.

17. Jimbo says:

Pretty cool that this Batman guy went on the make Call of Duty.

18. dethtoll says:

This was an awesome read.

As to the state of videogames, I think it’s been doing its growth all out of order. We had an awesome period in the late 90s to the early 00s where a lot of crazy-innovative-creative games came out- and not just on PC. Then that all trickled to a stop. I blame the Xbox1 and Halo being released- that put gaming on the road towards the brain-death it’s suffering from right now. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming console gaming specifically, but it’s the Xbox1 that brought it to the frat boy that the industry has seemingly been trying to impress ever since.

19. i saw dasein says:

welcome to capitalism nerds, eat it.

20. postmanX3 says:

What the hell? A non-gamer that’s actually open-minded?! Is it opposite day or something?