Dhuum: Shake The Room. Also, Playerbase.

By Kieron Gillen on May 28th, 2010 at 4:30 pm.

It wasn't me! It was my brother! I would never cheat! It was him! Take him, not me! Noooooooooooooooo!

Stew Wilson twittered this at me very excitedly. And rightly so, as it’s very exciting. Or, at least, splendid. Massively has the full story, but in short, the Guild Wars God of Death has been teleporting around the world and striking people down with a hefty scythe. Why? Well, it’s the animation to go with the mass-banning of players who’ve transgressed against the User Agreement or Rules of Conduct (i.e. Cheating). It’s a terribly stylish way to do a player-cull, at least. Footage of DHUUM’S FURIOUS ANGER follows…

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. cyrenic says:

I love how they do stuff like this in game.

This reminds me of an old GW video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbkIu2y7Ki8

An attempt at a guild wars thriller video gets interrupted by the end of beta event :).

• Mungrul says:

Heh, I loved those end of beta events; Gwen and the exploding gnomes was fantastic as were the Wurms invading Lion’s Arch :D
      With their recent pimping of the real-time event system in GW2, I can only hope we’re in for more of this sort of thing.

2. Tei says:

The first thing you learn wen you write a bayesian filter, is that there will be always false positives, so extreme prejudice against what you think is evil, is generally a bad idea: you will add massive damage to what is already bad, on inocents.
    But this is about email files and spam. I don’t know if can be applied to humans.

• Sonic Goo says:

Yes, that can also happen when trying to discern who is a bot or not. If you just go by behaviour, players can act like a bot sometimes. If you go by software detection, people can be using a pc in an internet cafe where someone installed a botting program. Etc. etc.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Yes. The animation is cool and if it is working properly, a really cool way to “send the message”. But if the whole detection mechanism is being automatized and human intervention is kept to a minimum, then rules dictate they will ban innocent people… possibly even in big numbers.

And the fact the animation was so cool… and humiliating… will produce quite the negative response on those players. I wouldn’t certainly be very happy.

Richard Beer says:

His fuse is lit and he’s about to go Boom!

4. 2ds says:

Style and class, he just needs a fedora and a sharp suit.

A giant Manny Calavera? =D

5. HairCute says:

This is good.

6. Antlia says:

With a flick of the switch, she’ll blow you sky high,
    With a flick of the switch, she can satisfy,
    With a flick of the switch, razed to the ground,
    With a flick of the switch,
    With a flick of the switch,
    With a flick of the switch, she gonna give you pain,
    With a flick of the switch, she gonna blow your brain, blow your brain!

7. Andrew says:

For some reason this is way more evocative of cyberpunk lit like Snow Crash or the Sprawl stuff than anything I’ve come across in, I dunno, a decade. I love it. More real life consequences should have “metaverse” equivalences.

8. Lachlan says:

2ds – any MMO that has Manny Calavera show up on player death would have my money in seconds.

9. Seras says:

Dhuum is not actually the god of death, he’s more of an older exiled god.

that being said: AWESOME!

10. pimorte says:

AION may be a dull grindfest, but it sure has at least one great GM:

(watch in HQ for the text)

11. Alphabet says:

You might be a king, or a humble road sweeper…

DarkNoghri says:

This reminds me of that time the EVE developers blew up all those glitching starbase/factory things (I don’t play EVE, I dunno what they’re called).

Instead of just playing with files and lists, they actually go in-game and commit justice upon the evildoers. I support this.

13. pupsikaso says:

Hahahha, awesome!

14. negativedge says:

This makes me want to cheat at Guild Wars

I wish my WoW account was ended like this, rather than through a lame ass email.

• Enshu says:

Exactly. I’d rather be beheaded by some awesome entity than explain to Blizzard how come I can’t, no, really, I cannot stay with them any longer.

15. ChaK_ says:

that made me laugh, good idea devs :D

16. pupsikaso says:

Actually, the following link sheds some light as to why bannings have been made so visible. In the blog, the designer mentions how important it was to make sure the community can clearly see these bannings taking place, because otherwise they just thought the devs aren’t doing anything.

17. geldonyetich says:

It might be a better idea than they realize. Putting a bit of a physical manifestation behind a phenomenon resonates stronger on a human level.

Which would you be more afraid of?

* Suddenly being disconnected and being unable to log in because you’re banned.
    * Suddenly being confronted by the specter of death who raises its mighty scythe and strikes down your character, who disintegrates into fiery ashes, then being disconnected and unable to log in because you’re banned.

18. renger says:

Friends, you know that the game will not SPC – Heroes (those that you take with you to the detachment and taught the profession)? Now you are one (!) Against the whole gang!

Dear game developers, please do not miss the company of friends at NPTS.-Heroes! Bring them into the game, please! Give ourselves decide whom to run on personal history, character.