The Gloves Are, Er, On: Singularity Trailers

By John Walker on May 28th, 2010 at 9:30 am.

When I'm older I want to be a skellington too.

I have this glove that can manipulate objects through time. So I’ve been excited to follow the progress of Singularity, a game that I can identify with. However, now they’ve revealed that the glove in the game can also fire giant bursts of “Impulse Power”, which makes mine look like last year’s iPhone. It can also fire time bubbles to trap your enemies. I could do with one of those after yesterday. You can watch the glove-based action below. Along with a few other bits and pieces about the glove that have appeared in the last couple of weeks. It’s set for release at the end of next month, but I could of course just get a copy whenever I wanted by reaching into the future and grabbing it. I don’t, because of embargoes.

Here’s the Impulse Power being shown off. It looks extremely powerful, the sort of thing that surely will be restricted use. Imagine if it weren’t, though! A game that let you feel powerful! Clearly no game will ever allow this, but I’m still allowed to dream.

Here you can see the glove creating time bubbles, which trap enemies letting you make them eat bullet pasties humiliatingly slowly:

And here it is doing what it does best: moving objects through time. I never thought of using mine to age humans into piles of goo:

This was looking iffy for a while, although I’ve always maintained cherub-faced optimism, and these trailers give me a good buzz about it. So long as you are allowed to feel as powerful as they imply, rather than be given a version of the glove that barely functions until the final seconds of the game. Developers? Stop doing that.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tom O'Bedlam says:

oooooohhoooo thats pretty wonderful! If done right this could be promising. Braid with guns?

2. Magic H8 Ball says:

Avoiding masturbation jokes

3. Brumisator says:

A game where you feel powerful?
    Try Prototype.

This impulse stuff seems kind of fun…not enough to blow my pants off, though.

4. Skinlo says:

Actually looks quite cool!

5. JB says:

Looking better with every preview I see. Looks like there’s lots of sadistic fun to be had with the TMD.

You know, if you’re into that sort of thing.

6. robrob says:

Looks like pretty good fun! I especially like the idea of slowing bullets down to a crawl, seems like other games should have tried this sort of thing already.

Whatever happened to the Quake 3 era Raven? They were prolific and made some fantastically fun shooters, then they just dropped off the face of the earth. Jedi Knight II is still a favourite and remains extremely playable. I miss you Raven. Come back.

7. dingo says:

I don’t know.
    Time manipulation confuses the heck out of me.
    The trailer before (the one with the bursting Vodka bottle) made no sense to me.
    First he “fixes” the bursted bottle and poured himself a drink. Then some enemies approach him and during the fight shoot the Vodka bottle breaking it again.
    So as a result nothing changed or what? :p

Still looking forward to this game. :)

8. ChaK_ says:

I continue my activision boycott, so I’ll pass, but it looks quite interesting

9. bill says:

Loved a few early Raven quake expansions, but never really forgave them for making Jedi Knight 2 so totally average. Jedi Knight was one of the best games ever, and as a sequel it was horribly disappointing. Nothing they’ve made since has been much better either.

I can’t help but feel this is a one-idea game, and I’m not sure it’s a great idea. It seems to be mostly things that Requiem: Avenging angel, Giants, Timeshift and numerous other games have already done.
    Games based around a single weapon tend to get dull rather quickly.

Still, maybe they’ll surprise me…

10. Vandelay says:

This does look quite fun. Although, I don’t know why they had to go all the way with the aging thing. Turning them into a babies or really old guys would be much more fun.

11. Drexer says:

I really really really have been eagerly waiting for this game. It’s nice to see that those latest trailers look so promising.

I however, also hope that they take the HL2 way with the Gravity Gun and give you total control over your powers; only messing mayhaps with the recharge times to not make the overpowered. I know that you’ll need to bathe your enemies in that special liquid for them to be affected, but otherwise the interactions with the environment should be price-free in regards to gameplay.

12. Adrian says:

The force push doesnt look powerfull enough yet but the other powers are pretty cool! The first thing i will have to try is shoot an explosive barrel at an enemy so it explodes (i always wonder if it isnt more logical that an enemy would simply be crushed by a full barrel of oil hurled at him rather than the barrel explodes from the impact but whatever) and then quickly reverse time so its becomes a barrel again which then again will hit the enemy and explode and again could be reversed back to a barrel and so on. if you could trap an explosion in a time loop id be sold for this game!

13. Skusey says:

I wish the time manipulation was more precise, then I could make people grow beards or grow plants really quickly to make enemies eyes water with hay-fever.

14. pimorte says:

@Brumisol – funnily enough, Prototype is being offered as a freebie with early purchases of this game.

I don’t think Impulse is limited use. Did you see how the armoured enemy was completely unaffected?

15. Colthor says:

They embargo time manipulation now? Man, publishers think of everything :(

16. Max says:

Looks like another TimeShift to me, however I will probably pick it up when it’s out.

Also the GameTrailers age thing annoyed me so much I ended up installing the Greasemonkey addon for Firefox and then a script to remove the age verification. See what you make me do John, SEE !

17. MultiVaC says:

Revert people into a pool of waste? It would be way more fun to revert them into babies. It would be like an incredibly sociopathic version of the shrink ray from Duke Nukem 3D.

18. Jason says:

You don’t have to age them into a pile of goo, just leave em in the bubble for a week or two subjective and they’ll starve and/or die from dehydration.

19. Alexander Norris says:

That time glove is going to be boring and gimmicky if they only let you use it where and when they want, but it’s going to make combat absolutely trivial if they don’t. I can’t say I have high hopes for this one.

• Urthman says:

it’s going to make combat absolutely trivial if they don’t.

Are you one of those people who played Bioshock by smacking everything with a wrench until they died or until you died, respawned, and resumed smacking? Or one of the people who kills everyone in Just Cause 2 with a pistol?

“Please developers, don’t give us lots of cool powers, because that’s not challenging enough.”

Sorry, I’m just being a jerk. I think I know what you meant. You want to have cool powers and feel challenged. Problem is there’s lots of ways to do that badly: making the player really powerful but then giving the enemies a thousand hit points; giving you extremely limited use of your powers, etc.

What I hope (and it looks like this might be the case from the trailer) is that they give you cool powers and lots of human cannon fodder that can be easily defeated in lots of different ways (trusting the player to make it fun by being creative) as well as lots of more-powerful monsters who have some resistances to your powers.

Like at the end of Bioshock (as Tom Francis suggested) – it would have been so much more awesome if, after you’d been powered up, they’d made it so you could cut through splicers like paper — and had lots of splicers to easily plow through — but then made you fight Big Daddies or some other more-powerful foe as well.

20. Tei says:

Obligatory pedant cue:

A singularity is a moment of history where things change soo much, that the people born before that time can’t understand the new world.

Suposedly, the next Singularity times will be the inventation of human like AI (like he.. the future where the “The Shrike” come from in Hyperion novels(Dam Simmons)) , and the creation of a mater compiler (like in “The Age of Diamon” of Neal Stephenson). And if you are of the religious type, the coming of jesus, or stuff like that (now that I think about it.. I think there are a good novel/tale about it from SIlverberg)

• D says:

The coming of a technological singularity is a recent idea, it is not something prevalent in history. There has never been a time before now, where a generation was so left behind by technological advances. Watershed moments and paradigm shifts are pretty common in comparison.

The technological singularity is said to arrive with the invention of true AI, because it will then be able to reprogram itself, develop more speed through redevelopment, and generally just explode its own advancement. It ties into the idea of Moore’s law, that computing speed will double in half time – the technological singularity will happen when that time becomes small. Reading on wikipedia, Moore and a bunch of other scientists don’t believe in the coming of a singularity. Can’t say I do either.

21. imirk says:

Oh Baby, Common and Smell the Glove

22. y3k-bug says:

I’m being so off topic I should have my comment deleted, but I hope Prototype gets a sequel. With proper game mechanic redesigns, that game could be fantastic.