Air Buccaneers-a-thon?

By Jim Rossignol on May 29th, 2010 at 12:04 pm.

Kick off from about 6pm UK time tonight? And if you’re reading this WITHOUT COMPREHENDING THE AWESOMENESS then you should read this and this. Then, perhaps, you will join us.

EDIT: UT2k4 master server is poorly, so launch Air Buccaneers, open console, and type “open 140.247.62.101:8777″ to join the server.

1. Kemuel says:

I still get a huge kick out of seeing my kill in that screenshot every time there’s a story about Air Buccaneers. ^^

Wish I could join you guys this time too, but now I’m studying in Japan the timezones make it difficult.

2. mcnubbins says:

Downloading it now, never plaid it before. Is it a hot air balloon with a flamethrower somehow attached to it in that screengrab? In any case, excited to try it out. Looks like mad fun.

• Kemuel says:

If you load gunpowder pouches in to the cannon instead of cannonballs you get a flamethrower, which is just lethal for close-range strafing runs ^^

• mcnubbins says:

THat’s awesome:D

3. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I’ll try and get on, but I don’t seem to be having much luck with this server.

4. CMaster says:

Installing UT2004.
    I have the CD version, so this may take a while…

5. Tom OBedlam says:

Right then, work fucking hard till five (close desktop dungeon), get home reload UT again, two hour sesh, Eurovision drinking game.

Sorted.

• Auspex says:

Desktop Dungeon!

• Tom OBedlam says:

Its become the bane of my studies!

• Lilliput King says:

Mine too, it’s awesome.

Also, Mount and Blade. Somehow charging around Calradia in knightly guise is more appealing than polar coordinates. And just this morning King Ragnar offered me the fiefdom of Ismirala! I’m not sure I’m ready for this level of responsibility.

• Tom OBedlam says:

I’m deliberately not buying Mount and Blade until my last exam is over on the 11th. I’ve heard how compulsive it is. Especially after I made the error of buying Galactic Civ 2 while writing my dissertation. Its much harder to try to write about the moral permissibility of euthanasia when you know that Clan Korath have got six spore ships sitting two weeks from your border.

• Auspex says:

Wait, what just happened? I was reading RPS and then 2 hours just vanished.

Very odd…

6. CMaster says:

UT2004 Master Server could not be contacted.
    What’s the IP

7. Senethro says:

Its maybe worth putting in the post that you can join the server by RMBing the background of the Internet menu, selecting Open IP and C+Ping the IP into it.

8. Jim Rossignol says:

140.247.62.101:8777

9. arjuna says:

I’ll be there, even though I’m even more noob at this than warband!

Already blown myself up trying the flamethrower thing.

10. Falsus says:

I’d love to play! *dusts off old ut2k4* What the fff-. FIVE CDs to install?!

11. Greg Wild says:

Sad face activate!

I am at a Wedding reception tonight :(

12. MrGoat says:

Will try to join you but right now steam wont let me install games, servers are busy….. :(

13. MrBRAD! says:

YESSS! I MISSED THE LAST ONE!

AWWWW. It’s at 4am.
    Why do you hate me?

14. Hideous says:

Okay, just bought UT2004 on gog.com and I am downloading. Soon, I will be ready to ROCK.

15. heheman3000 says:

I would also like to mention for people to install the UT2004 3369 megapack (or just the patch if you’re on a slow connection), followed by the mod:

[url]http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut2004/ut2004megapack.exe[/url]
    [url]http://ludocraft.oulu.fi/airbuccaneers/index.php?pg=download[/url]

16. Nosredna says:

Going to try to join :D

17. Tom OBedlam says:

I can’t get on :(

18. Tom OBedlam says:

d’oh I forgot to patch it

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

An excellent hour of airborne warfare.

May I take the liberty of suggesting that RPS do a future event of The Ship?

20. Oak says:

I’m all for playing The Ship.

21. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Top show, thanks to Andrew Mao for arranging the server and to all those fine chaps who make it so pleasant sail in her.

22. Tom OBedlam says:

Epic, have to go a drink to awful europop now. same again tomorrow?

23. Mr_Day says:

I have made with the videos of my exploits.

Not shown – Me losing. Selective editing is great. The battleship is not downed, it is pining for the fjords.

• NukeLord says:

Killing you with that canonball at the end of the video was definitely one of my better moments of the game.

Plenty of fun was had, glad the server was a bit more stable this time.

• DarkNoghri says:

I love how my first two appearances in the vids are me making a small crater. :(

24. Theory says:

The lag sucked most of the fun out of it. :-/ We need a UK server.

25. Frozenbyte says:

I demand more Air Buccaneers ASAP!

26. mcnubbins says:

Had fun, was first time I tried it, but never really got the hang of steering them balloons properly. Also, the elf in the barrel, couldn’t figure out if he jumps up automagically and loads cannon balls or you order him to do so?

Anyhow, cannons that become flamethrowers = win

• Mr_Day says:

Barrel Monkey is told what to do. When you are controlling the direction of a canon, you get a menu on the right of the screen. Mousewheel selects an option, right click orders him to do it.

It is demonstrably faster for you to it all yourself, if you are good. I’m not. I am also lazy. Barrel Monkey can do it all.

27. Mr_Day says:

I have taken a tiny guide that was made in the comments of another ABU article and plonked it on the forum:

I wouldn’t call it definitive, but if you haven’t played before that might help. But not as much as using the tutorial.

28. Vinraith says:

Apologies and thanks to everyone who put up with my re-learning curve, for awhile there I just couldn’t remember how to use the damn gunner’s mate. I seem to be up to speed again, but I keep getting pulled away from the computer by real life, which is not helping things.

Still, great fun.

29. heheman3000 says:

Was the lag really that bad?

It is indeed a lot faster to not use the barrel monkey. Also, it’s good to have a crew on the ship so you can deflect incoming cannonballs with the musket and pilot and shoot at the same time.

Maybe with some more promoting we could even get a regular crowd on the server. I’ll see if we can post about this on other UT2004 forums.

• DarkNoghri says:

My biggest problem is that I can’t aim when firing by myself. I can aim, then light the torch and let it go off, or I can attempt to aim it again after lighting. Sometimes it’ll let me grab it again and I get about a second to aim. But other times it simply won’t let me reattach to the cannon before it goes off. It drives me nuts, because more often than not, it won’t let me reattach.

30. Tye The Czar says:

It’s games like this that deserve to be ported to UDK so we won’t have to re-install UT2K4 to play it.

31. MrBRAD! says:

If I was clever I would make up a witty poem about there only being bots online now, and that at “6pm UK time tonight” there was hardly anyone on.

32. heheman3000 says:

MrBRAD, you probably got your time zone calculations wrong, because there were at least 20 people on the server when I checked.

DarkNoghri: For me, I always load the cannon from the rear. I find that moving backwards slightly and pressing 1 (to get hands) moves you in the right position for aiming. If I have to change the angle a lot I just get the barrel monkey to load it as I am adjusting the aim.

33. mcnubbins says:

Feeling the urge to play this again!

34. Player1 says:

I had a friend give me his version of UT2004 just to play this again. I installed everything but upon connecting to the server it started downloading a billion files and I gave up after 20 minutes. Will be there next time (i hope). I will be fighting as Cpt. Harlock.

And yes, I’m also all for an UDK version… : ) I bet this could get a ton of people online.

35. heheman3000 says:

I’m thinking if we post on other UT2004 community sites about the revival of this game, we can get enough of a playerbase to fill the server on a regular basis.

36. Matiiou says:

Is this a persistent and dedicated server ?
    We at ModAddict could try to bring some more players. We’re actually looking for a fun mod to play regulary on.

37. Vinraith says:

It’s Sunday afternoon in the US, Sunday evening in the UK. I and a friend are on, anyone care to join us?

• Tom OBedlam says:

You have no idea how tempted I am to sack off studying and go home for a game…

38. DarkNoghri says:

I would, but I gotta grade something and then take a short drive.

39. DarkNoghri says:

Doh. Just got home, dropped in, and Vin’s gone already. :(

• Vinraith says:

@DarkNoghri

Sorry, we played a couple of rounds with the bots and then got bored and moved on to greener gaming pastures. Should have been more patient, I guess. Fortunately the server’s not going anywhere, I’m sure we’ll get this coordinated again at some point.

40. N0isemaker says:

Count me in.

41. N0isemaker says:

Any plans for tonight?

42. zugy says:

Oh man, it’s unbelievable that people are STILL playing this mod after so many years. Is there another event coming up? I WANT TO PLAY TOO!!! :D