Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger – Starfall

By Alec Meer on May 31st, 2010 at 6:24 pm.

Speed is POWER. But speed is also DEATH. Gain power, gain speed, gain death. Alex Bethke’s Starfall, created for the most recent Experimental Gameplay Project contest (theme: High Velocity) is as simple as a videogame can be, and that is exactly why you’ll be playing it for hours.

Collect the glowing orbs to increase your score, but suffer an associated boost to your speed – during which you will struggle to avoid the nasty red orbs. Well, you won’t, you awful show-off, but the rest of us will be cursing the rush of deadly, precious speed.

Ever so simple, ever so thrilling and ever so tense: it’s like drunk driving without the absolute, indefensible idiocy.

Thanks to Michael Cook for the tip.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Daniel Rivas says:

Oh, I see. It’s a bit like guitar hero, complete with what appear to be System of a Down lyrics.

2. Tom OBedlam says:

Interesting, but sadly unable at the library on my touchpad :(

3. M says:

What I loved about this was that you got that sort of momentum feeling where the game was going ever so slightly faster than you could think. It was why I loved Mirror’s Edge when it really got going.

EGP always gives good talk.

4. Mario Figueiredo says:

Impossible to play. Did like the mosaic artsy.

5. westyfield says:

Ugh, I can’t play this. The dreams are all blurry and move very fast, which makes my eyes want to focus on them even more, and gives me a massive headache.
    Plus I’m terrible at it.
    The mosaic style is nice though.

6. Devenger says:

Set a high score (at least, I think those are high scores). I expect it to last a whole 3 minutes.

Interesting stylistically, but pretty random gameplay-wise. When you are moving at any great speed, collisions become a happy coincidence, not a result of reaction or decision. Not sure how you’d solve that, though.

7. Nikica says:

Daft Punk!

8. robrob says:

Speed is also DEATH, the new game from Jason Rohrer.

9. LukeE says:

Needs more responsive controls. A twitchy gridrunner-style racey thing might appeal to me. This just annoys me, every time I hit something bad, or miss something good because it doesn’t move fast enough to follow the cursor.

10. Internet Friend says:

Play this thing for hours? Really? I must be missing something, it seems entirely unplayable.

11. Flimgoblin says:

Wonder if this game’s playability depends on the scan rate of your monitor… an old school LCD would rock…

12. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Would be better if it had more of a flow-like gameplay (as in: instead of blasting paralysing speed during which you can’t do very much).. but then, I’d suspect it’d be a different game.

As it is, it hasn’t much of a flow experience and it isn’t much of an arcade (dodger game?) game as well. Shame, really.

13. windlab says:

You’ve had your five minutes. ;)

I found that focussing upon the orbs didn’t work terribly well, and that it was easier to hand it over to the subconscious and let things blur by.

14. drewski says:

I basically concentrated on missing red things, and collecting whatever else happened to be where the orb was.

I got bored before the game finished.

15. Tom says:

This is not a game. It feels more like of one of those annoying ‘gamelike’ flash ads.

16. Snall says:

Too easy, could go for ever if u didnt get bored.

17. Octacon100 says:

I gotz the high score!!!1

But really, it’s pretty fun. After you get the mask though, all you have to do is just go get a coffee while the game wins itself for you.

18. luckystriker says:

A nice bit of fun. But like others have said, just too easy.

19. gamer says: