Gene Pick-me: Clone Wars Adventures

By Kieron Gillen on June 2nd, 2010 at 1:30 pm.

They're going to be robo-crazy
Marco Weigel noted we haven’t actually written anything about this. This is no longer true, a disease cured by writeitude. In short: it looks like they’re going to be two options for a free Star Wars MMO this year. Firstly, you can pirate a copy of The Old Republic and hack someone else’s account. Secondly, you can play Clone Wars Adventures. It’s a free-to-play MMO based around the Clone Wars animated malarkies, featuring pets, housing, mini-games and all that sort of thing. You can also choose to play a Jedi, a Padawan or a Clone Trooper. Why would anyone play a Padawan? It’ll be like a racing game giving you an option between playing a driver or someone learning to drive. Anyway, it’s out in fall this year, and here’s the trailer…

For a free-to-play MMO, that actually looks pretty neat, I think.

, , .

1. Vadermath says:

Looks like shite.

Now let’s move onto The Old Republic.

• Wulf says:

The Old Republic being a World of Warcraft clone which is also looking rather shite.

At least this one has some sort of appreciable visual aesthetic and doesn’t have light sabres big and over-exaggerated enough to be flagpoles. And the shooty bits look really neat.

• Vadermath says:

The Old Republic, being set in a timeline infinitely more interesting compared to this one, made by people who’ve proven they can handle the SW universe in a way that doesn’t disgrace it by making it a bloody kiddie cartoon.

• Wulf says:

“[...] they can handle the SW universe in a way that doesn’t disgrace it by making it a bloody kiddie cartoon.”

You haven’t seen much media of The Old Republic, have you?

Here, let me enlighten you. And beyond that, screenshots I’ve seen online and in magazines paint it to be a very low-poly game. The overall aesthetic reminds me of those CGI cartoons that were so popular in the late nineties and early ohties. It’s not a traditional form of animation, but it is decidedly ‘cartoony’.

Comparing the two types of CGI cartoony, The Old Republic’s looks outdated, whereas the one in this article actually looks up to par with modern CGI cartoons. That might have a lot to do with the low-poly approach of The Old Republic, though.

Also, get a load of that UI. Especially the clips of higher level characters who have two or three bars visible. It looks almost identical to World of Warcraft with a UI mod or two. There’s a loooot of cooldowns to keep track of there, and I don’t think that could be fun at all. I’ve learned to hate games like that, and love games like Guild Wars and Champions Online, which don’t feel the need to have a billion buttons.

If you still think that The Old Republic is worth waiting for, you’re more tolerant of poor quality CGI and World of Warcraft than I am.

• BigJonno says:

To be fair to WoW (which is not something I say very often, I’ve played it a lot and I tend to be most critical of games I enjoy) it’s completely untrue to say there are a lot of buttons to keep track of. Each class may have a lot of abilities, but in terms of what you have to keep track of in combat, you’re probably looking at 3-5 regularly used abilities and 2-4 on longer, one minute plus cooldowns. In that regard, it’s about on par with Guild Wars, except in the case of GW you literally only have the eight abilities you use available at one time.

2. Tei says:

“Firstly, you can pirate a copy of The Old Republic and hack someone else’s account.”

You will be surprised how much people have 123456 has password. And if a dude login name is “elmo”, his password is probably “elmo”. If the system force to use a number, then his password can be “elmo0″ or “elmo1″. If the system force a uppercase letter, you can try “Elmo0″.

Good think most people are not interested in hacking.

3. Premium User Badge AndrewC says:

You get Portman knobbing privileges as a Padawan.

4. westyfield says:

Ugh, Yoda, shut up about the force already. We get it. No-one cares.

5. disperse says:

Clone Wars: Adventures. The gateway drug of MMOs. The first one’s always free…

6. pupsikaso says:

These are dangerous words to be saying in this day and age, KG. Be careful you don’t get burned on the stake!

7. Rich says:

From Eurogamer: “You can play for free or opt for a monthly membership with access to more content.”

So probably the only way graduate from Padawan to Jedi will be ‘opting’ for this subscription.
    There’ll probably also be micro payments for different lightsabre colours and types.

8. sasayan says:

“Experience the first ever Clone Wars online virtual world.” – I suppose anything can be a first if you get specific enough.

9. mujadaddy says:

two options for a free Star Wars MMO this year

Don’t forget http://www.swgemu.com! …well, I suppose you have to already have the game discs, but, hey, no monthly. Still in beta, but it’s… “fully functional”…

10. Rakysh says:

Also SWCombine if you like your mmo’s without combat or fun but with a real world economy.

11. Bascule42 says:

“The Force is in you”? What? What are they talking about? That’s not right, surely. Either way, I’m gonna wait ’till SOE upgrade the combat system next August before I start to play. If at all. After all, if the Force is “in” me, no point playing this game. And I’ve been sat here for years, in the same place, hoping the Force may, just may, be with me, since it’s there for sure, I’m off to lift the Mrs and some rocks in the air.

12. ChampionHyena says:

A Free Realms clone revolving around some of Star Wars’ worst moments.

Eh! I’ve played worse for free, and I inhale free MMOs like free popcorn. Worth a look.

• Wulf says:

Admittedly, the films gave a new meaning to the word ‘shit’, but the animated series was actually pretty good. So not everything done within that setting is bad.

13. BigJonno says:

Despite the fact that it’s a kiddie show and despite the fact that it retconned the first, excellent Clone Wars cartoon and despite that it retconned Mandalorians, screwing over a number of very good novels and despite the fact that it’s something that has been touched by George Lucas post-1990, the Clone Wars cartoon is actually rather good.

Plus my eight year old is going to love this.

• Grunt says:

I sense…standard slippage in these comments. The feature length opener to the Clone Wars series ranks as some of the most horrible telly I’ve ever digested. Later episodes show a slight improvement but the dialogue still has the capacity to shrivel teak from across the room. Compare and contrast with the original Star Wars films and then come back and talk about how ‘good’ this series is. You’d be much better off watching Transformers: Animated. Now THAT is a good show.

• BigJonno says:

I’ll agree that the Clone Wars feature-length thing was awful, but I still reckon that the series itself ain’t half bad, especially compared to most kids’ telly. There are a few gems out there, like Chowder and Phineas and Ferb, but most of it is shite. I’ve never seen Transformers: Animated, but I’ve heard good things.

14. Tei says:

I don’t like Clone Wars. It further the image of Star Wars of a poor world, where everything must look like metal corridors and wooden characters.

The fact is animated serie just make things worse. No, I don’t want to play Yoda Stories.

But this video looks interesting, probably there will be some fun on this minigames :-)

15. Bret says:

I know I’d skip Jedi entirely.

I mean, whiny Anakin or badass RC-1138?

Kinda a gimmee.