Mod News: Homework On The Bus

By Lewis Denby on June 2nd, 2010 at 10:52 am.

Forgive me: this week’s Mod News is a little more rushed than usual. The last week has marked my switch from “filthy student who writes about games sometimes” to “oh my great goodness, I need to actually start making a sustainable living out of this now.” Are you an editor? Then you should probably give me some work. I’ll do it on time, and everything! But anyway: among the panic, here’s some mod news I’ve managed to collect.

NEWS

So this is just delightful. Human Error was an almost brilliant HL2 single-player mod which featured a couple of familiar faces from the Half-Life 1 days. And now, because its team is wonderful, they’re giving away the source code for their beloved Alien Grunt and Alien Controller. It’s great to see mod teams helping each other out, and I hope other teams find a use for the critters.

Meanwhile, after a rather lengthy silence, HL2 mod Gravinull is back! [http://www.moddb.com/mods/gravinull/news/gravinull-new-road-new-progress] The developer got disheartened, it would seem, but then found out his mod was immensely popular, so started working on it again. That’s nice of him. Beyond that link is hot new information and a video. This also mysteriously turned up in the UserCreated inbox.

And after a whole /year/ of silence, Left 4 Deads 1 and 2 mod I Hate Mountains has re-emerged with a bunch of new media. I’m suddenly very excited about this. The trailer is absolutely exceptional, and it’s from the makers of Portal: Prelude, which was really quite good.

Finally in the world of updates-after-ages, this week marks the first time in forever during which I’ve not had to crawl through Robert Yang’s blog to do the mandatory Yang-related update. That’s because there’s /official news/ about Radiator Part 3! Er, where he mainly links back to the stuff he’s already explained on his blog. Either way, read stuff here, and be delighted that Radiator’s been selected to be showcased at an exhibition in Madrid alongside thechineseroom’s Korsakovia.

RELEASES

Remember Halfquake, the strange, surreal mod for Half-Life that set about confusing the player in every way imaginable? Well now there’s a sequel. Still a HL single-player deal, early reports suggest it’s still hard-as-nails and still bloody weird. Trailer and downloads on the ModDB page.

Elsewhere, there’s a demo of Crysis Wars mod Dead Corridor. It’s only the first level, and under half an hour’s play time, but developers Masterside Studio are hoping to use it to get some feedback and tweak the full version accordingly.

UPDATES

Let’s see, shall we? Resistance and Liberation, which reached Beta 1.1 last week, has reached Beta 1.2 this week. That was fast. Apparently the last version kept crashing on everyone, which this patch rectifies.

HL2 mod Dystopia has hit Version 1.3, as well. If you’re a Supporter, that is. If you’re not, you’ll have to wait a bit, or become one by donating some money to the project. This update marks a change of engine to the Orange Box version of Source, which will likely make the mod far more sustainable in the future. Good show, I say.

AND THE REST

Just the one And The Rest this week, and it’s a Jim Special! Over at Eurogamer, he writes things about the pretentious artsy mods that Rock, Paper, Shotgun does so love. Obviously, since yesterday’s news, both the Hivemind and the brothers Loman have made me sign a contract stating that I will link to and big up Eurogamer at every given opportunity.

I’d say there’s more on UserCreated, but it’d be a lie, because we’re as slack as anything. But do check back there, as you might sometimes be surprised. Which reminds me, actually: does anyone want to write for us?

Oh, and the answer to last week’s curiosity is: Deus Ex, Portal.

1. 12kill4 says:

Also of note was the seriously irritating false-release-date snafu with Stalker: SoC L.U.R.K Mod, which is now due out sometime early this month (supposedly).

2. NykO18 says:

Thanks for talking about us (I Hate Mountains).
    By the way, we weren’t really silent during the last year, it’s just that we concentrated on updating our website instead of our ModDB.com profile.

• HexagonalBolts says:

I hate Mountains looks fantastic

Out of interest (not being accusatory here or anything!) do you guys have an agreement with Clutch’s label, or are you just using the song under fair use, or are just using it and hoping all is good.

It’d be ridiculous for anyone to be against such a usage anyway, if anything you’re advertising the band.

• NykO18 says:

See my answer a bit lower, I don’t know why it wasn’t added after yours.

DarkNoghri says:

I’ve very much been looking forward to I Hate Mountains since the trailer release/announcement hit the Steam forums a few weeks ago.

Can’t wait until it comes out.

3. Alexander Norris says:

Technically, the 1.3-to-supporters release is a beta, which is why it’s being released to supporters (because we need player numbers to check balance changes and bugfixes, and they donated, so we make them feel like the special people they are).

• Lack_26 says:

When it’s released to the public it sounds like it would be a great time to get back into dystopia, I haven’t played it for years (and many releases).

• Unaco says:

@Ansob

Special? “Special” like the kid in class with the permanent island of dried drool on his jumper? Gee, thanks. I suppose though, if we can grasp the game mechanics it means it should be accessible to the public at large.

• Alexander Norris says:

Unaco: you’re extra speshul, it’s true. <3

4. Spacewalk says:

Holy shit, Halfquake Sunrise. I had totally forgotten that that was being made. I must investigate this quick smart.

5. ChaK_ says:

Hey could RPS get an interview with black mesa staff?

Just so I know if we can play it before 2012′s reversed big bang you know

6. NykO18 says:

Well, that’s the embarassing part of it, refer to our trailer page:

Vandelay says:

Why is this the first I have heard of HalfQuake? It looks awesome.

All 3 parts are downloading now.

8. KP says:

you missed Obsidian Conflict 1.35! it’s the Sven Co-op of HL2, so fun.

9. Gestalt says:

MISSION IMPROBABLE PART 2 for HL2 is out. Sequel to one of the best single player mods out there.

10. RedFred says:

Maybe a broadening of the content of these posts would be good?

It always seems to be about HL/HL2/Valve/FPS mods.

11. Tye The Czar says:

Oh, I didn’t know Dystopia FINALLY moved its engine to Orange Box. I guess it’s harder than it sounds.
    I loved Dystopia, especially when I worked together with my team. I’d love to see more games take the Cyberpunk vibe.