The Forsooth Saga: Part The Fourth

By James Carey on June 2nd, 2010 at 11:04 am.

Lookit! Despite RPS selling out buying in, things Carry On As Before. Like our Mount & Blade: Warband warband, complete with our own server, voice comms and everything! It was the second of our ‘proper’ Training Knights last night and once again our 64 player server was impressively full. EG may have taken our ads responsibilities, but they’ll never take our freeee-dooom!

Once again a huge thanks to everyone who showed up. It’s one thing to get a bunch of chaps to show up to an event, another to get them to come back again. Ta awfully. Report below.

Even more surprisingly, we actually managed to get some formation training done, rather than just run around bashing each others’ heads in for four hours (OK there was some of that, but it came later…).

My humble aim for Knight II was to get the 50 odd who showed up again to divide into their allotted Divisions: Archers, Cavalry and Infantry. With everyone on one side (no enemies), and the teamspeak channels divided into corresponding rooms (with channel commander officers), the idea was to test our chain of command, see if we could get a group of people who’ve only just met to listen to each other, work together, and fight as one. Dashed if we didn’t pull this off to some degree. In very short order we had ranks of Archers (two rows count right?) volley firing in unison, Infantry practicing an advancing maneuver where the front rank held up a shield wall while the second poked through the gaps with polearms, and… erm… some sort of dressage from the Cavalry involving synchronised rearing and lines of horses jumping over the Archers (but it was organised, which was the point).

Despite the impressive horsemanship it wasn’t and unbridled success (oh that’s a keeper). It’s becoming clear after two Knights that we need to improve our voice comm discipline if we’re actually to fight as an organised army. If the point of Forsooth Saga experiment (aside from having a clan and having fun) is to try and fight battles as organsied, sychronised units then those units are going to have to get discplined fast, and that means blindly obeying orders even if the orders are /stupid/. All martial art is based on this premise. I’m thinking of making Teamspeak overlay a requirement, but that’s a discussion for the forums.

This is all part of my dilemma. I’m trying to strike a tough balance at the moment between letting people just show up and have fun, and enforcing enough order to get the warband organsied. So last night we just did 40 minutes of the drilling, then got on with some two team PVP, and this is where things started to get a bit more chaotic.

It doesn’t help that Warband (the game) allows multiple admins to be logged in at once and this led to a fair bit of administerial confusion. There was helpful admin contributions like someone adding an enemy bot so the rounds didn’t just keep restarting while we drilled, but there was also some administering which seemed (to some) illogical. See, we have our first clan match lined up, organsied by our Match Officer Mr_T. This is brilliant, well done T. So, some people turned up to the Training Knight expecting us to be preparing for that. Others (myself included) hadn’t really thought about it… So while some admins and players were trying to get the masses to practice playing Saranids (the Faction we’ve been assigned for the clan war) others were blissfully unaware of this attempt at focus and so things got a bit fractured.

But it’s OK, this is all a learning process. I’m sure we’ll iron out the comms difficulties, both in terms of voice comms and about events and practice sessions. Considering we’re a new group of players I’ve been very impressed with the level of on field organisation we’ve managed in just two short sessions, especially when there are so many people to get organised. Well done you.

The next Training Knight is on Thursday when we’ll try to build on what we achieved last night. Why not pop over to the forums and get involved?

, , , .

1. robrob says:

This sounds like really good fun, I wish I could join you guys. Maybe you could take some lessons from the immense organisational skills of Shack Tac? http://www.dslyecxi.com/shacktac.html

Their chain of command stuff could be helpful.

2. Dan(WR) says:

These writeups have broken my resistance. I played a little of the beta and wasn’t happy with the chaos, but the thought of organised face-stabbing… I’m going to have to cave in and buy it now.

It’s £15ish at Amazon – has anyone seen it any cheaper?

3. Lack_26 says:

I really wish it wasn’t at 6:30, that’s the crunch time in my house and everyone is running around shouting (and the kitchen is usually exploding at the same time), so voice comms really don’t work very well (not unless people want to just here static, shouting and a stream of expletives).

4. Alexander Norris says:

The organsying really ought to be replaced with organising if you intend to win, guys.

5. Heliosicle says:

Remember, Dragon Aids is a boat.

6. Isometric says:

I couldn’t find the server in the list and gave up. Defeatist i know.

7. DarkFenix says:

It kinda fell apart a bit last night. Pretty much the whole archer division was on one team, leaving things pretty hopelessly stacked (since the counterbalancing factor was almost all the cavalry being on the other team, archers > cavalry).

This Thursday I think we should sort out some teams before ‘officially’ beginning the night, so we have a roughly even split of each division.

8. Lobotomist says:

I am quite intrigued by your interest for warband. Strictly from multiplayer point of view.

Is the game worth getting ? (aside from playing RPS server)

Is it fun as let say bfbc2 ?

• alway says:

The single player is more than worth the low asking price. Multi is fun too, but without organized tactics over teamspeak, is rather chaotic. The RPS training knights make it incredibly fun, what with having both organization and howls of laughter over teamspeak.

• Lobotomist says:

Its just, i have the original M&B. And the idea of MP sounds pretty good.
      I am just not sure how it works in practice ? (and is it worth buying warband just for MP)

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I might have to get this. Maybe. It really is a good game, although I’ll probably be awful at it. That and I have enough games left to finish.

Hope you have a blast, though. And.. footage! I request footage!

10. Yargh says:

Damn, I missed the organised part of the evening. The rest was pretty fun though.

I’m afraid 18:30 is too early for me as I don’t usually get home from work before 19:30…

11. SlappyBag says:

You could use Mumble for voice comms. You get two buttons – one which is TeamSpeak-y and sends the voice out to everybody. Another which is local, it reads the game data and only sends the voice comms to people near you in the game, with appropriate trail-off.

You can also make binds in a similar fashion to TS to talk to certain groups etc, but the local chat thing might be handy when you got 50 peeps running about.

• DarkNoghri says:

I just checked Mumble (I vaguely recalled hearing about positional audio before), and it doesn’t look like they support Warband.

• Joseph says:

Why does the voice prog need to support the game? For the overlay? That might still work… not sure.

12. godwin says:

I would show up for this if the server didn’t have a ping of 750.

• cjlr says:

I keep getting ping numbers in the 600 range, but the two or so time I actually joined they immediately dropped to ~100, which is quite manageable. It really is a crapshoot, but I suppose the main issue is where people are based…

• DarkFenix says:

My ping keeps on showing up as 0, I’ve not really seen it even enter double figures. Guess I practically live on the server :D.

13. Premium User Badge Hodge says:

Wish I had the time to take part in this – looks like crazyfun.

14. Jhoosier says:

I need to figure out time zones. What time do you guys do this in Japan time? I woke up this morning to find a Steam message that an event was on. If it’s a tad late or I have to get up a bit early, that’s no problem. 3am is not a good idea though, unless it’s on the weekends and I can show up blind drunk and running about madly.

15. Sobric says:

@Jhoosier

16. James Carey says:

17. Davie says:

Gaaaah! Sounds like loads of pointy fun. This is why I need this game.
    Have there been any Steam sales for it recently, or is there still a chance one could pop up in the near future?

18. cjlr says:

Oh, why oh why does this have to be during the only time of the year when I have to work full time? I can’t get on until ~2130 GMT (except isn’t it actually BST, for daylight savings time, eh wot?).

19. Jhoosier says:

“Japan is GMT + 9, so I’m afraid these run at 2.30am in Japan. But I think being drunk is welcomed.”

Ew. Yeah, that ain’t gonna be happening anytime soon. Unless it’s on a weekend when I get home early enough and don’t fall asleep.

“Borax and Batoa are supposed to be setting up some more US Time friendly training knights. Not sure that helps the Japanese or Aussies, but there you go.”

Depending on the time it might be doable — it’s 14 hours off from EST I know.

20. Roger says:

Mumble supports Warband (even though it’s not listed), though positional audio is a lot more fun in theory than it is in practice. It’s terribly disorienting to use positional audio when there’s a ton of enemy and friendly cavalry running about the map.

Massed hoofbeats + positional audio = fun.

21. Hethwill_Khan says:

In the name of the Court of Reveran, wanna show the full appreciation of the friendly clash of arms, alongside the IRC.

Looking forward to your epic chronicle on it.

Kudos.