Defense Grid Fills June With Map Packs

By Jim Rossignol on June 3rd, 2010 at 11:48 am.

Defense Grid, you might recall, was one of our favourites from yesteryear – read about it here – and it’s being promised “resurgence” by a bunch of new content now up on Steam. There are going to be four new map packs for Defense Grid, one for each week of june, and each going for $0.99/£0.79. Each release will have two new maps and “for additional modes” alongside the normal campaign settings. The first pack is here.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. largejaroalmonds says:

So what’s the consensus? Worth it?

• Jimbo says:

I really liked Defense Grid, if that counts. I don’t know if I want *more* Defense Grid though – I only like these games until they get difficult and stop being relaxing, and I imagine the new maps will be of the difficult variety.

• MikoSquiz says:

Ludicrously good, wonderfully presented. I don’t want a map pack though, the last few maps that came with the game were already hard enough to make me grind my teeth down to nubs.

2. FunkyLlama says:

Christ, it’s driven home just how much of a cheapskate I really am that I’ve spent a significant amount of time deciding whether to part with my 79p.

3. stone says:

I hope Sol Survivor will meet this pack with its own map-pack of some sort. Let the Tower Defense war begin!

4. DollarOfReactivity says:

Stumbled upon this before the news broke and got it immediately. They released a few free DLC levels called “Borderlands” a bit ago. If you liked those I think you’ll like these (and the second map in this pack is wide open, if you’ve wanted that).

I was disappointed in Sol Survivor, so more DG makes me super happy. Plus that dreamy narrator is back.

• LintMan says:

There were free DLC levels for defnse grid? Can you get them off of Steam? I’ll have to check those out.

Does the “Raspberries” AI guy do any talking in the DLC levels?

I was pretty disappointed in Sol Survivor also; DG was much more enjoyable for me.

• Carra says:

Yeah, you can get the new levels through steam, I did.

Fun levels. And since they gave those out for free I might buy these mappacks. Lovely game and the price for these packs seems very fair.

• DollarOfReactivity says:

Yeah, the free DLC appeared in-game from a Steam update.

As for the newest pack, I could be wrong but I think the narrator has a few new lines in the new maps but nothing story-ish. However, they are just stand-alone maps, not linked like the main “story mode”.

For the price, I’d say if you enjoyed DG at all you should pick them up.

5. wiper says:

Well, I’ll happily buy these when they become available to non-Steam/D2D owners of the game :(

• pkt-zer0 says:

1.) You can buy the map packs on D2D as well.
      2.) The game has been using Steam for leaderboards from the start (and now for DLC as well), so if you own the game, it’s already the Steam version.

• pkt-zer0 says:

3.) You can also read replies posted in non-reply form. That helps making less redundant posts. That’s not something that’d occur to me, though, as is evident.

• wiper says:

Aye, should have been clearer that I meant non-Steam /and/ non-D2D, there. And yeah, if you own the game it isn’t necessarily the Steam one. Wah :(

• Vinraith says:

@wiper

If you own the game, you can add the key to Steam.

• Vinraith says:

@wiper

Sorry, saw your comment down thread after I wrote that. That’s a bummer, and unfortunately I don’t see any way around your problem short of re-buying the game, which I’m sure is less than appealing.

6. Heliocentric says:

I really really mentally coasted playing this game.

90% the campaign my play was formula. Look at the map, pick a main tower spam it out. Done.

I really have a hard time believing i’ll enjoy more of it, especially without the would be raspberry muncher having new dialogue to prod me along with.

• Babs says:

I really really mentally coasted playing this game.

I started my second play-through of DG recently and I have a hard time believing that you can get the top medal/result level/whatever with that strategy beyond the first 3 levels. It may work well for just passing the level but if all you want to achieve is mediocrity then you’re missing almost all of the fun.

• Severian says:

@ Helio

You should definitely try the free downloadable maps they released a couple months ago (called “Borderlands”).

They are much more challenging than the originals. I have yet to finish one perfectly (no cores stolen).

• Heliocentric says:

I did in campaign mode. Completed 3 of them with no time rewind. One of them (the third?) took quite a lot of time rewind and i respected the design alot.

1 of 4 and these packs have 2. 50% chance of challenge?

• Heliocentric says:

Oh, i need to add restate. I got perfects in 3 first try, the other was a battle.

7. brain_stew says:

You can register any copy on Steam, just add your license key through the Steam interface and away you go. My copy is actually from D2D but I play it through Steam. This’ll get you achievements as well, if you care about that stuff.

• wiper says:

Sadly, that’s not the case for the Greenhouse (playgreenhouse.com) version of the game – its license key is ‘invalid’.

8. subedii says:

Yeah I might’ve been more inclined if they brought the VA back for these ones. His character added quite a lot to what was essentially a puzzle game.

As it is, I spent an inordinate amount of time with DG trying to get the top tier on each level, and even played the bonus maps when they were released on the PC. I might pick these up, but probably only once the full pack of eight is out.

I will say I’m impressed with the pricepoint. Even if it is just 2 maps, less than £1 each (and £3.16 total) is good if you want a little bit more Defense Grid. I’d guess the full pack will probably be an even £3.00.

And I do enjoy the open-plan maps the most I think, where you can shape the path.

9. Heliocentric says:

I need to add, i only paid £3.50 and i believe that is the right price due to the genres limitations.

10. FunkyLlama says:

Apparently I am the only one who wanted to murder the narrator with a clawhammer every time he opened his trying-too-hard-to-be-eccentric mouth. :/

• Heliocentric says:

The only one? No.
      Does it make you a terrible human being? Yes.

11. suibhne says:

This is a pretty attractive pricepoint for me, but I’d still prefer to wait till they release all four of the DLC packs in one download.

• LintMan says:

I’d prefer to buy them all as a bundle, too. But then, I’d even more prefer it if they had made the new maps into a small campaign story, maybe added a few new features like some new turret types, and then sold it as a small expansion.

12. Oddtwang says:

Anyone else having trouble with these? Steam refuses to sell me the 2nd 3rd or 4th ones claiming I already own that game.

13. DerangedStoat says:

Will there be delicious raspberries?

I’ll have to check out the free Borderlands ones, didn’t even know they existed, Although I haven’t touched Defense Grid in a while.

14. noom says:

Absolutely loved DG. Unfortunately it’s suffered terribly under the last dozen-odd releases of catalyst on my ‘puter. No intention of rolling back my drivers for this, before anyone suggest it, as the improvements in other games are way too large to sacrifice…

Altogether annoying.