Global Agenda “Sandstorm” Enormo-Patch

By Jim Rossignol on June 3rd, 2010 at 11:40 am.

Hi-Rez’s MMOFPS MMOTPS (phew, lucky we got that one right, my credibility was in danger!) Global Agenda is getting a hefty patch today, with loads more PvE missions, new PvP maps, and a totally refurbished world-conquest system designed to bring the agency vs agency war onto a single global map. All servers will, apparently, be down today due to the upgrade. Full patch notes are here. People wanting to check it out for no pennies can get on the free trial here.

Anyone still playing this? How is it coming along?

, .

1. Seamus says:

Played it for a little while. Was kind of impressed at the time, but it grew old quickly. The minimum system requirements were almost prohibitively steep – My gaming rig which is barely pushing two years old really struggles to run it, and only then on the minimum settings where the game looks really poor.
    If they’ve done a ton of optimizations to the performance, I may consider trying again. If not, count me out :(

• Sobric says:

That surprises me, as the game doesn’t look spectacular and isn’t that large scale.

GA is one game I was excited about before release, as it looked like a possible Planetside 2. But as the previews rolled and more was revealed, I was overwhelmed by feelings of ‘meh’.

It just doesn’t seem that good of a shooter, and while PS wasn’t either (mechanically) it more than made up for it with huge-scale, combined arms combat. I don’t think GA does.

• Internet guy says:

That’s odd. I bought it at launch and haven’t had any performance problems on my 3-year-old rig.

Haven’t really played the game much, though. The PvE matches were fun, but I haven’t tried any of the other modes….

2. royale says:

I absolutely can’t wait to play the new patch.

At first I was worried that the game would become too loot-based and become more gear dependent, but after seeing the patch notes I think they’ve come up with a great compromise to give people the shiny epic upgrades they desire without allowing it to imbalance the pvp. They seem to be giving people flexibility and customization, but not the god-mode that gear in other MMOs can bring.

On the topic of performance, you do need a decent rig to fully appreciate the game. But if you have a comp that can run it at higher graphics settings it’s the best looking and smoothest performing MMO available right now. The game is incredibly sexy and the combat is incredibly fun.

I been playing since launch and haven’t gotten bored yet. I’m hoping that the new additions will just make me fall further in love with it. ;)

3. Vadermath says:

I read that as “people with no penis”.

Intriguing.

4. Pmeie says:

I emailed support when the game came out asking if they had plans for an Oceanic server, they said they did, no sign of it yet though.

• Spoon says:

From the patch notes: “Players will default to a Mission Server (North America, Europe, PacRim) based on your IP address.”

Doesn’t that mean they have an oceanic server now?

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, they might just have some plans lying about somewhere..

5. mandrill says:

In what universe is Global Agenda an FPS? Its third person, not first. Its also a bit pants.

6. Nick says:

I’ll wait for the DEEP HURTING patch before i give it a shot.

7. remover says:

Terrible game is terrible. I hope there’s some fun in this patch, and that it’s not all super grindy like the rest of the game was.

They promised me a refund months ago and never followed through, and now ignore all my emails. Hooray!

Netkev says:

Well, i started playing the trial a while ago, and bought it when it came on sale at 30% off on steam. Roughly 80% of city chat has been nothing but “When is 1.3 comming out” “What are the features of 1.3″ “WoW was the first MMO” Etc. So yeah, people have been looking forward to this.

Oh, and trolling, god how they love their trolling.

9. pupsikaso says:

Unfortunately this patch rather than fixing the broken AvA (agency vs agency) mode only makes it even worse.

But on the bright side, there will be tons of new stuff do to PvE. And the PvE is surprisingly fun, unlike any other games. I usually prefer to play against other players than dumb AI, but Global Agenda has pretty good AI and that makes it very fun to play against!

• royale says:

I’m not that crazy about the PVE in GA, but find the PVP to be really fun. I’d rank it almost as entertaining as TF2 and that’s pretty much how I play it: Hop on and do merc missions til I need a break, then shop/craft/respec and then do more merc missions. I’d guess I’ve done less than 10 PVE missions in my entire time playing.

10. geldonyetich says:

I don’t think the game diserves a bad wrap at all. However, I sort of forgot about it at release. It’s sort of hard to commit to any grind, let alone one that charges a monthly subscription for what you can get in some F2P games. If they went F2P with micropayments, I bet they’d find that a more lucrative business model for the experience they’re selling, as they really don’t have that ‘virtual world’ focus that makes them subscription-worthy.

11. royale says:

Patch has exceeded my expectations. I love it so far.

12. Basil says: