FEAR 3 Trailer Features Psychic Horror

By Kieron Gillen on June 5th, 2010 at 1:00 pm.

I haven’t been following FEAR 3 – and if you think we’d call it F.3.A.R., you’re mad brand manager, mad – for the simple reason I found FEAR 2 such an empty experience. As such, not knowing its twist, the trailer at least made me smile – a co-op mode with two very different characters (the trad psychic-commando chap and the psychic-horror-chap) is appealing. Ever since Gauntlet – or later the similarly period-heavy SWIV – asymmetrical co-op games have been something I’ve looked out for. Trailer follows.

I’m also reminded of SWIV’s awesome end, where after killing everyone, your unit is disbanded because there’s no-one else left to kill, so why would they need a heavily armed military unit. Hurrah!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. poop says:

FEAR 3 Trailer Features Nothing Particularily Exciting.

2. DarkFenix says:

Question: Why the hell would anyone want to play as the boring guy that just uses guns?

3. Pew says:

Sigh, let’s just hope F5.A.R. will be a bit more “refreshing” eh?

4. PatrickSwayze says:

Well this looks abysmal, I shall not be buying it on day one like the last games.

I can’t believe they are releasing a FEAR game that looks worse than the original, never mind the sequel.

Well if Monolith aren’t developing this (and it shows) does that mean they are finally getting around to SHOGO MOBILE ARMOUR DIVISION 2?

Please say yes…. that would be my dream game for E3

5. Mazzwar says:

Hey don’t forget about F.E.4.R.!

6. Tei says:

All the textures look pale (other than the electricity particles). Are all stored in JPG format to save DVD space or something? It make the game look… pale.

• Tei says:

Other than that can be a good game. Prototype meets Corridor Shotter.

• ThePieSpy says:

ever take a look at the textures for the original, they were also horrific. I love when game developers rely solely on fancy shaders to make everything look like its made of melted marshmallow.

7. manintheshack says:

I’m holding out for the release of 5.3.4.R in the year 3017. It’s sure to be a smash. Word is by then we’ll all be killers with psycho-kinetic abilities and weapon stockpiles and will get to play as vacuous video gamers.

My cryonic slumber awaits!

8. ChaK_ says:

geez that looks like crap.

Take fear 1, remove everything and add red, you got fear 3. Way to ruin something there

9. Paul says:

Fear 1 was average.
    Fear 2 was shitty.
    Fear 3 will be even shittier.
    Where are the times when Monolith made actually good games, you know like NOLF or TRON or AVP2 or BLOOD or SHOGO ? Why do they keep bothering with this ubergeneric greybrownshit?

• ChaK_ says:

NOFL (1&2 combined) remains one of my top ten game. A third one would be awesome.

Too bad they’re not on steam though :(

• faelnor says:

F3AR is not a Monolith game.

• faelnor says:

Also, putting AVP2 as an example of a good FPS over FEAR 1 is ludicrous.

Also also, Condemned was a pretty good game, too easily forgotten!

Also also also, this “F3AR” seems to be a new low in first person gaming.
      Disgusting !

• Paul says:

Ha, I thought it was Monolith’s.
      Well, point stands. I would much rather new IP or new NOLF or anything over FEAR 1 or 2.

As far as AvP2 goes, you are crazy, it was an amazing singleplayer experience (especially as marine).

10. Lucas says:

Way too much coverage for a game nobody cares about.

11. Junior says:

FUCK YES, S.W.I.V.!

Oh, Fear 3? Yeah, sure, whatever.

I CALL HELICOPTER!

12. Hunam says:

I’ve just started playing FEAR 2 again. It’s a really rather grand game. I don’t get the hate for it though. The shooting is rock solid, the graphics are great and the story is good enough. As good as the first one.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I don’t really get it either. I grant that I don’t find FEAR 2′s shooting as satisfying as the original game’s, but the levels are much cooler so IMHO it balances out.

I think part of it is the way the UI has a very…console feel. PC gamers feel snubbed, as usual…and suddenly FEAR 2 is the devil.

• Hunam says:

To be honest that was FEAR 2′s problem. On the surface it looked like a console game. The Hud, the horrid ranked/unranked multi segregation (pointless tbh) the ‘award’ achievealikes, the chunky models and the cropped screen all scream console, but the actual gameplay, the shooting the lack of cutscenes and readable logs as well as the engine itself were all very PC centric. So both sides ended up hating it for one reason or another.

Plus, you know, ghost rape.

13. karthik says:

Doesn’t the point man kill Paxton Fettel at the end of F.E.A.R 1? Was that retconned into Aw forget it.

• malkav11 says:

I never actually made it to the end of FEAR 1, but yes, I think so. The FEAR 2 Reborn DLC has Fettel related Story Stuff ™, though.

SPOILERS

He is Reborn.

SPOILERS

14. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

You could have given a spoiler warning…YOU MONSTER! I’ve been actually about to finish SWIV…for the last 15 years…but still!

Inb4PAlinkage, I self link it:

15. a says:

It’s No One Lives Forever 3, obvs.

16. KindredPhantom says:

I don’t get the hatin’.

The graphics look fine, sure they aren’t anything like Crysis of Far Cry 2 but you know what i don’t care if they are ultra realistic. It looks like it’s the same engine as FEAR 2 which was fine for that game, except for some odd slow performance issues that always got with the FEAR engines’.

As long as the gameplay is fun and isn’t boring i will be satisfied, FEAR was a pretty good game so was FEAR 2, the original FEAR’s now non-cannon expansion packs looked and played far worse. I am a little intrigued with FEAR 3 since you play on the opposing side, instead of the lone soldier fighting to stop Alma, you are now fighting to protect Alma. I just hope they explain why the point man has decided to switch sides and explain what happened to the protagonist of FEAR 2 after that rather weird ending.

• KindredPhantom says:

I meant “i don’t care if they aren’t ultra realistic”.

• MWoody says:

Yeah, I’m a little surprised by some of the hatred here. A co-op focus in a PC shooter is still rare enough to get me excited, and the idea of two different characters is, if not completely original, enough to gain my attention. I like the idea of completely different characters that work well in different situations.

• malkav11 says:

You aren’t fighting on Alma’s side, FWIW. You’re attempting to stop her baby from being born.

17. Spacegirl says:

They should do some double pack a la Borderlands’ 4-pack or something, even if it was two for $80 or something it would probably help sales…

Considering Co-Op makes bad games playable and average games sweet, this may be cool!

18. Deuteronomy says:

I LOVED FEAR2 so F-U RPS HIVEMIND

19. JC says:

Calling the helicopter? Psh. The jeep was always the better choice, as I shall now demonstrate by shooting _backwards_ over your puny helicopter.

20. JC says:

Er. In reply to Junior. Stupid broken reply system.

21. InsidiousBoot says:

I’m not impressed sadly, and to be expected.. I loved the original F.E.A.R + Extraction Point though.

22. hamster says:

In an effort to identify with the targetted audience of the FEAR franchise (today’s hip teenagers), we have tentatively renamed the game to F33R. We believe that that the intentional mispelling of the word ‘fear’ reflects the uniqueness inherent not just in the target demographic, but in people as a whole.

Warner Bros is also proud to present the 4th game in the titular Fear series, F33R 4EVA which is scheduled to be released in *(F)3/4/12 alongside F33R. In F33R 4EVA players will finally be given full control of Alma along with her devasting arsenal of psychic abilities. (E)vaporate enemies with blood boil. (V)entilate enemies with psychic tendrils. (A)ssimilate weakened enemies to regenerate your health allowing you to kill with impunity! Tremble no more. This time, only your enemies will feel FEER. 4EVA.

Warner Bros, in collaboration with EA games, is proud to present FEER FOREVER A5AIN, the 5th game in the venerable FEAR series. Play as Fearsome, Alma’s estranged child (*spoilers*). Having previously destroyed all life on Earth, you, as Fearsome, have teleported to a planet in a galaxy far, far away and have found an ancient alien civilization evil beyond all redemption! Vaporize/petrify/ventilate/obliterate*/disintegrate all forms of life! FEER FOREVER A5AIN’s dynamic Gore Accumulation System (TM) graphically stimulates the buildup of exploded giblets and gore consequent to the destruction of your enemies. DRENCH yourself with gore and laugh manically in game as rivers of viscera drip down your etheral body and leave a viscous trail along your wake! Strike eternal FEER in your enemies hearts. A5AIN.

*Heavy Weapons DLC required; $5.99
    *Friday

23. chrzÄ…szcz says:

Well yes, let’s all hate on FEAR because it has last-gen graphics while simultaneously fellating games like Mass Effect 3 because it’s totally awsum zomg. When did this site become IGN again?

24. Rudolfo says:

how meaningless could they create the not psychic horror dude’s face? I mean…he looks like he’s waiting for his burgers at a mcdrive…