Negativeland: Eversion

By Alec Meer on June 8th, 2010 at 11:31 pm.

Michael Castle (who sounds like an action here, if ever there was one) alerts us that indie platformer Eversion has cropped up on Steam. Which is, of course, good news for its creator Guilherme S Tows, aka Zaratustra Productions, but may mean almost nothing to you. Thing is, you can rectify that very easily.

About a year and a half ago, Zaratusta submitted Eversion to a TIGsource compo, but in a rather more lo-fi state than it is now. This means that, essentially, the entire game is its own demo – once you’ve established that you like it, you pay to make it slicker and prettier. I can almost imagine some publisher deliberately employing that kind of strategy to try and defeat the trade-in market…

You’re going to think Eversion is Mario. Eversion is not Mario.

I don’t want to go too much into just how it pulls the rug from under your feet, but suffice to say it’s big on changing the world around you. Sometimes you make that happen – via the titular Eversion mechanic, which opens up (or closes) various pathways, as well as altering the game’s aesthetic – other times it just drops something weird/intense and often really rather difficult on you.

This isn’t a leisurely Sunday – it’s go-go-go platforming, often with a chunk of Metroid-style backtracking in there, even as you’re pursued by things. “A razor blade in a candied apple”, said one pundit, and apart from getting ‘candy apple’ wrong, he’s right. This is cruel, in a good way.

The new Steam version adds high-res graphics, Achievements and time trail modes. It’s only £3 at present too, which is very much money well spent if you ‘do’ the platforming ‘thing.’ The hoary old (but still lovely) first, free take is here – but seriously, spend that £3.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Alex says:

Really, really awesome game, but very difficult to recommend to friends – I don’t want to tell them anything that might spoil the experience!

I really enjoy the music in this, too – it really sets a cool atmosphere the first time you play it.

2. Dominic White says:

Eversion is short, sweet and surprising. If you’re on the fence, just do it – put your three quid down and enjoy.

3. LewieP says:

I wasn’t sure how different it was to the free version I played a couple of years ago.

Loved it then, I’m buying this now.

4. Jahkaivah says:

Such a wonderfully heartwarming game.

5. Inigo says:

BEHIND YOU

6. M says:

I did wonder whether the cutesy advertising was alright, given that parents buy casual games off Steam. It’s a great reveal, but, uh, the Valve Store ads went a bit too far.

• Joseppe says:

The video on the main page (which parents hopefully watch before they buy) makes it very clear that it is a horror game.

7. Matzerath says:

Dr. Watson isn’t in this, is he?

8. Bowlby says:

At the price of a return bus ticket (yes, Arriva, and they suck), how can I refuse.

Also, marketing your game by listing “Game length ideal for busy videogame fans” as a feature, I find rather funny. That’s certainly one way of saying your game is brief, but the thing is: it’s true! I do kinda like short, cheap, intelligent games. Goddamn you, Zaratustra; you got me. Take my three quid. (Bastards.)

9. Heliocentric says:

The original pissed me off. So i suggest that people really do play the original before taking your instruction to pay. I certainly don’t want this staring back at me from my games list as something i paid for. Clever game, the playing is not of this decade though.

10. Chiller says:

Cool! Probably my favorite entry from that compo. Has mood, gameplay, and a great ending. Boo for achievements, though.

PS. Do something about those captchas, half the time I get to retry because either a) I can’t figure out what a letter is supposed to be so I have to guess or b) I THINK I’ve figured out what a letter was, and guess what – I was wrong.

11. jokermatt999 says:

Man, this is such a cute game. I wish more games would just be as nice and cartoony as this. Definitely recommended for a nice chill night of happy gaming.

12. OctaneHugo says:

If you guys are looking for the most awesome LP (well, LY) ever, check this shit out:
    This game is nuts.

13. Eric says:

I see what you did there.

14. PleasingFungus says:

Best achievement name of all time:
    Metaphor for the Atomic Bomb

15. Hodge says:

Great game, I played it first time around and was more than happy to splash out $5 for this new version.

‘Tis indeed bastardly hard (even more so than I remember), but when you die you keep all the gems you collected, which saves you having to repeat 90% of the stuff. And once you’ve finished a level you’re free to return to it at any time and take another pass at the things you missed.

Buggered if I can find those last 20 gems, though.

16. Wulf says:

/thud

I don’t know if I can complete this, and I completely blame my imagination, which caught all the correlations (including the atomic bomb one). It’s a brilliant, clever game, and I have an exceedingly evil, over-active, and equally clever imagination. I’m near the end now, but I keep thinking about parallel dimensions when something like this comes up.

And when I do that, my mind runs with fun theories of being able to accidentally fall between them, which is what I believe is happening to the character, there. So with each new iteration, my mind started doing that with Earth and creeping me the hell out. Eventually this got to a point that made Silent Hill look tame, and I had to stop for a while.

I’m almost envious of more empty-headed people, sometimes, those that don’t have entire worlds in their heads. But for now, I’m going to go and play something happier to brush aside all that if I want to be able to sleep tonight. >.>

• Hidden_7 says:

I don’t know if it’s worth pointing out, but I’m going to do it anyway, the atomic bomb reference in the achievements is not meant (at least I’m pretty sure) to reference this game. It’s a nod to Braid, whose princess very much was a metaphor for the atomic bomb, explicitly so. Basically a fun little nudge to a fellow game that shares similar elements (i.e. taking the rescuing the princess motif of Mario and flipping it some).

17. TheApologist says:

Candy? Candied?

Toffee Apples, shurely?

• Krimson says:

American confectionary works… differently.

I think the better comparison would be a Hershey Bar: Initially, it looks sweet and appealing, but it’s rotten to the core.

• TheApologist says:

Fair enough.

I must say, my experience of a Hershey Bar was a lesson in the power of brands within global cultural flows. For reasons I couldn’t put my finger on, I expected them to be brilliant. As it turns out, those things are fucking horrible.

• Bioptic says:

Charlie Brooker agrees:

And Eversion was certainly interesting, but my prevaling memory was of saying ‘fuck this’ about halfway through and just watching a Youtube video of the rest.

• Clovis says:

I think the “power of brands” has caused some confusion. I don’t think most Americans think of your basic Hershey’s bar as fantastic chocolate. It is sort of your baseline for chocolate. Anything below Hersheys would be mocklate (like Palmer).

I guess you are comparing it to Cadbury’s though. Sorry, I prefer Hershey’s. I’m probably unduly influenced by Cadbury’s mainly being experienced in those ridiculous eggs though.

Dove is pretty good though, right?

• Psychopomp says:

Hershey’s never got popular because it was good. Hershey’s got popular because the lower classes could afford it.

I think it’s less the “Power of Brands,” and more the cultural and economic power of the lower classes.

18. Lilliput King says:

I didn’t really understand what was going on until the secret ending, but it’s quite sweet in the end.

19. Lambchops says:

I enjoyed but not sure whether I can be arsed tying to get all the gems or not.

20. Kerosiinipelle says:

Ready?
    TO DIE.

Eversion is one of the best games ever.

21. Stu says:

Oh God, if the phrase “Swedish Rhapsody” sends chills down your spine then the Steam trailer is TERRIFYING.

22. sfury says:

Just bought it (after playing the free for a while) and am now discovering how awful I am at platformers….

Stuck at 4th world because I can’t make a couple of jumps (even though I saw them on youtube)

/sad

• Lambchops says:

Hah, my frustration with the 4th world was the reason behind me writing this:

Got there in the end with a bit of perseverance. Although probably the 6th world is the most annoying due to the random nature of it sometimes making death unavoidable (bit of a cardinal sin design wise in my opinion as it could easily have been avoided).

Comment on this story