Back To Back To The Future. Also, Dinos.

By Kieron Gillen on June 9th, 2010 at 9:58 pm.

I love you, Doc Brown.

News breaks that Telltale have signed up the licences for Jurassic Park (mildly excited) and Back To the Future (VERY EXCITED INDEED). Not much to say yet, except they’ll be out in Winter and Ste Curran spent most of the early 00s hanging around in Bath Night Clubs saying “I Like It When Biff Gets His Head Stuck In the Manure… he tries to get McFly, but McFly is too quick for him!”. I have no idea if this was a reference or not, but I still find it funny. Let’s hope that the games are better than the first Back to the Future on the Spectrum…

Which was terrible. And was, I believe, the first game I ever completed due to managing to hit a bug where I could use one of the abilities repeatedly and so make everyone like who they’re supposed to like.

It’s probably good I didn’t write Back to the Future. I’d have probably have turned it into an Oedipus-esque plot where Marty McFly becomes his own father due to ill-advised mum-ejaculation. Great Scott!, etc.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. LewieP says:

I had the master system version of BTTF2.

You had a hoverboard.

2. Okami says:

Back to the Future is going to be a narrative driven, cover based, third person action adventure. With driving sections.

• Kieron Gillen says:

GREAT SCOTT!

KG

• DeliriumWartner says:

This is heavy!

• PHeMoX says:

I would prefer a true action game in that universe actually… not so much into a slow-paced adventure there.

If they’d really want to make something like that, then please oh please make a Full Throttle 2 and make it kick ass!

• Gabe says:

Is there something wrong with the earth’s gravitational pull in the future?

• Bret says:

An action game where shooting anyone has a chance of invalidating your own existence!

3. Sonicgoo says:

“It’s probably good I didn’t write Back to the Future. I’d have probably have turned it into an Oedipus-esque plot where Marty McFly becomes his own father due to ill-advised mum-ejaculation.”

Does this mean you write for Futurama?

• elyscape says:

Or was that autobiographical?

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

Nah, Futurerama ripped that off Red Dwarf

• Noyb says:

And Red Dwarf ripped it off from Heinlen.

That said, I have a predisposition to love time paradox puzzles, including those in Telltale’s own Chariots of the Dogs, so I’m really looking forward to Back the Future.

4. DrugCrazed says:

Richard Cobbett and Craig Lager spent this morning coming up with how the Jurassic Park game was going to be. Damned if I can be bothered to get the links. They had some awesome achievements though.

5. Flint says:

Jurassic Park! :D

6. Renzatic says:

Half-Life what? Portal wuah? Prince of Per-whatnow? WHO CARES! I’ve got this kickass game about a Velociraptor driving around a souped up Delorian.

The Velociraptor uses the Delorian to hit people, then it eats the people it hits, then it goes back in time and does it again. Later on, there’s a minigame involving the Velociraptor in an awkward situation with its mom, who turns out to be a total slut.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

To quote a dwarf song:
      GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD.
      The only thing is, dont velociraptors hunt in two? Maybe you have a hologram you put in from of people and then attack from behind.

Unless hitting them witha Delorian counts as your hunting padner….

• Zetetic says:

When you can move freely in time, there’s not much of a barrier to being your own hunting partner.

• Uhm says:

Or your own prey.

7. Jimbo says:

Recommended System Requirements: Plutonium
    Minimum System Requirements: Garbage

8. Carlos says:

Very good.

9. spork says:

Ok, I am super excited that there is a Back to the Future series of games coming. HOWEVER…

What TYPE of games does this company make? Are they REAL games or are they point and click old school games? I’ve seen those Sam and Max games, and they appear to be simple old school adventure games where you have very little CONTROL. If I’m wrong about this, please correct me.

Now, with a BTTF game, I want to have full control over Marty in 3d, and not have to point and click to move him around. When they get to the second movie, I want to be able to actually control Marty on the hoverboard. Get what I’m saying? I want to know if Telltale makes actual games or point and click adventures (i’ll still play BTTF anyways, but a REAL 3d game would be so much better.)

• theleif says:

Don’t worry, spork. Telltale is an console-focused action-oriented developer.
      True story.

• Hodge says:

Sounds like you want this.

• Risingson says:

Gamers nowadays. Where “control” – understood as “i move my pad and the characters goes there” – is needed more than design.

• Sobric says:

“Are they REAL games or are they point and click old school games? ”

Walker knows where you live, and is coming ’round your house to muder you while you sleep.

• Wulf says:

Either him or me.

A game based on Back to the Future had better have a bloody decent narrative, and the sorts of games spork describes usually have a narrative black hole, that sucks in any writers which attempt to write for it and spits them out as dribbling idiots. See: Modern Warfare 2.

• Vague-rant says:

Interesting.

I wonder if we(you)’ll think WASD or sticks aren’t proper if motion control gets long term momentum and specific hand motion becomes the norm. Sometimes if something gets the job done, thats enough. Thats all REAL games need.

10. DiamondDog says:

They might suprise us all with their ambition. Instead of an open world game, they might make the first open TIME game where you get the Delorean and you can travel to any point in time. Although due to the production costs involved in designing a game with every point in time available to the player, the actual game world would have to be about a square meter.

11. Hodge says:

To be fair to that old Speccy game, it did at least take a stab at making the film’s plot central to the game mechanics, which few film licenses do. But yes, it was indeed rubbish.

And as I recall the two sequels got games which were equally rubbish. Telltale could shit into an envelope and it would still be the best BTTF game ever.

12. Risingson says:

And in my opinion, let them develop the games they want. I only wish they aren’t those hidden object games…

13. terry says:

Man, that was one hateful game – I think I “rented” it from the local library because it had reviewed so awfully, so there were no instructions and I had no goddamn idea what I was doing. I remember picking up some coffee and riding a skateboard repeatedly into a wall. Then I think I loaded Rambo because at least that made some modicum of sense (and had destructable scenery).

14. Sobric says:

Woo to BTTF!

15. Supraliminal says:

The NES versions were even more horrible.

Telltale can pretty much outdo all the past PTTF iterations blindfolded and both hands behind the back using just teeth.

16. Kerosiinipelle says:

Back To The Future-Monkey Islands?
    Cantwaitcantwaitcantwait.

• Wulf says:

That would be something. Doc Emmett Brown and Marty visit the Caribbean, only to meet a bloke dressed in a particularly nice leather jacket, calling himself Guybrush Threepwood: Mighty Pirate: Attorney at Law™!

• AndrewC says:

How could they use a time machine to travel geographically to the Carribbean instead of just temporally to Hill Valley-but-in-the-past? Unless travelling in time actually disconnects the traveller from both time/space continuum, meaning if they judge it wrong, they could end up floating in space, with The Earth at a different point on its orbit around the sun, which isn’t even to mention The Sun’s movement around galactic centre as well as phenomena like galactic spread. This really makes no sense at all.

And, furthermore, and far more importantly, as there are no Deloreans in the Monkey Island games, if we follow the space/time model of the BTTF universe, if Marty were to travel back to the Monkey Island games, it would create an alternate timeline, splitting off from our timeline at the moment the first Monkey Island game was released, and would ultimately mean that these Monkey Island games would not be REAL Monkey Island games, you know, like Escape From Monkey Island.

Which would be awful and, anyway, Timecop provided a much more feasible model for the logic of time travel.

17. westyfield says:

Guess I’m gonna have to upgrade my power supply unit for this one, then.

18. JohnDoe says:

I love Telltale but… this just seems like an insane choice.

• Wulf says:

Does it, though?

Consider: Back to the Future was released in 1985, Back to the Future part II was released in 1989, and Secret of Monkey Island was released in 1990. Where am I going with this? A lot of the humour in adventure games of the time was the same sort you’d see in films like Back to the Future. The sort of people who’d have played those adventure games were very likely the same sorts of people who loved the films.

I can’t speak for anyone else, of course, but I know that’s true for me. And it’s also worth noting Full Throttle, since Full Throttle was the game to come perhaps the closest to what the prior games were doing, to feel like an action-adventure-comedy film. In other words, to feel like the same sort of experience that a film like Back to the Future would provide.

Therefore…

Well, it’s brilliant. Telltale are clever spods, that’s for sure. Combining a Full Throttle-ish adventure game formula with Back to the Future (the characters, setting, and storyline thereof) seems like a winning formula. I mean, they’re going to hook every person who thinks like me.

19. LionsPhil says:

Goddammnit, Telltale, why must you chew up everything that is good and pure in the world and turn it into half-arsed adventure games?

Also, double-goddamit license-holders, wasn’t BTTF3 a clear enough “THE END” for you? The train slamming through the increasingly ramshackle DMC-12 a punctuating “this is a nice, tight trilogy where each film is actually seriously good, let’s stop before it gets run into the ground”?

(Yes, I know the Time Train then appears, but you’ve got to give Doc Brown a happy ending.)

• Will says:

Don’t take the back to the future cartoon away from me. I won’t let you.

20. Will says:

TellTale seems perfect to make a decent Back to the Future game, less so to make a Jurrassic Park game.

If I’m not running for my life away from dinosaurs before beating a velociraptor to death with a spade for being completely inaccurate in its depiction, I won’t be pleased.

21. Lucky Main Street says:

I’m thinking open world time-travel game, like Red Dead/GTA meets Chronotron. Eh? EH?

22. Ozzie says:

Maybe it will be something similar Shadow of Memories. Instead of the town of Lebensbaum we get Hill Valley. Otherwise, the mechanics might be the same, with various points in time you can jump to, where you have to change how things happened. Maybe?