Sniper, Sniper, Er, Trailering Bright… Sorry.

By Jim Rossignol on June 9th, 2010 at 9:33 pm.

Blue spotted that there’s a new trailer out for City Interactive’s long-distance-death themed shooter (with occasional knives) Sniper: Ghost Warrior, and it’s really pretty neat. (And really below the click). The trailer shows that the different difficulty settings will mean, how sniper finds his way around the level, hapless soldiermen under crosshairs, and how the stealth mode works. I’m not expecting this one to be a classic, but it might just be an okayic.

, .

1. Morti says:

the question remains, however: will there be any jarate?

• Coded One says:

I hope we get DLC that adds a Bow and Arrow then we can all just camp a corner and pop out every second or two to blindly fire it down a hallway.

13 shots, 0 kills.

YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!

2. bit_crusherrr says:

Pricing for this game is a bit annoying,its $30, £30 and €30. So its more than what i normally pay for a AAA PC game (25-27) yet for Americans it’s like $20 cheaper :S

I am sort of tempted to find an American who will buy it for me if i reimburse him.

3. Brumisator says:

I’m looking forward towards this probably much more than it deserves, but since sniper:elite, we haven’t gotten a proper sniper game. And even that one was rather crappy around the edges too.

And really, we all hate snipers in MP games, damn cheap shots. But picking up hapless AI victims from a safe comfortable distance, makes my evil heart feel all warm and fuzzy.

4. Roadrunnerr says:

Looks like a sniper only version on Arma 2.

Will be worth a look, nothing more. not worth £30 though. One of those steam bargain bucket games I reckon

5. Alexander Norris says:

One the one hand: stealth, visibility metre.

On the other: sniping, limited interactivity, WHY IS HE SNIPING WITH AN M4 VARIANT nfdisuhfosdhfsduihfi

So yeah, I want to like this, but I’m not sure.

• Alexander Norris says:

Oh, yeah, and: at 30€ when the US gets to pay $30, there’s absolutely no way I’m buying this at release.

• C says:

It doesn’t look to be an “M4 variant” but an SPR (A M-16 variant), admittedly a marksman weapon not a true sniper weapon.

• Kryopsis says:

In the video the sniper is using the SR-25 and the AS50. Both are sniper rifles, not battle rifles. The spotter uses an M4, however.

No wonder the game’s visuals looked familiar: this is the Chrome engine that was also used by the Call of Juarez games. I am happy to see this severely under-rated engine licensed for non-Techland games (although since the developer of Sniper: Ghost Warrior is also Polish, this makes sense). The video actually looks surprisingly decent; I paid very little attention to the game in the past but, having seen this, I might just buy it.

• Alexander Norris says:

Oh, it’s the spotter. That explains why he’s got an assault rifle.

Sorted, I guess.

El_MUERkO says:

as a fan of sniper elite i might have to pick this up

when it’s £10

7. Baka says:

That spotter / sniper coop sparked my interestet. Looking forward to it now.

8. madU says:

I’ll buy 20 !!! D:

9. pakoito says:

People speaking spanish actually sound like people speaking spanish. Neat.

10. Tei says:

Wow!.. I am not into sniper games, but this one looks like a really well done.

11. Jimbo says:

Police Quest: SWAT taught me everything there is to know about sniping.

12. bleeters says:

He fires a sniper rifle from a concealed position, and isn’t immediately peppered with bullets from every direction? Colour me intrigued.

13. Hoz says:

It’s not an M4 or M16 anything, because it’s holding a 7.62×51 magazine. My guess, m110.

14. CaLe says:

The ragdolls bother me..

mcnostril says:

I’m still amazed at this tendency in games to have these extremely exaggerated ragdolls, especially in somewhat realistic settings.

I spent quite a while trying to figure out how to make proper ragdolls in stalker just because of how immersion breaking I found them.

• Nick says:

moe people need to use natural motion in their games.

15. PHeMoX says:

I think this is going to be a sleeper-hit, in very much the same style as the older Sniper game (with the same style of slow-motion zoom when a bullet is fired).

It’s perhaps a game for mostly the fans of this sub-genre of fps shooters, but the graphics (Chrome 2 engine) are more than acceptable and the gameplay will be cool from the looks of that trailer.

I do expect missions to be largely the same, but in case of a sniper game I don’t think that matters.

16. Max says:

I was skeptical before but that trailer actually got me pretty interested. Looks decent!

17. Hunam says:

That looks good, but why are they using really basic ragdolls for death instead of animation, they’re animators are good, the rest of the animation is brilliant, but those ragdolls really look odd. Animation plus some physics > ragdolls.

18. Thiefsie says:

They need the GTA ragdoll/animation/skeletal system which is both hilarious and realistic at the same time.

Game looks pretty decent! more impressive than I was expecting.

• Benny says:

Indeed, Natural Motion’s Euphoria engine is phenominal, and i’m surprised so few games have taken it up. That said, if the ragdoll’s only half as bad as Deus Ex: IW then i can ignore it enough to enjoy the game.

19. Cooper says:

I’ve always wanted a goos niper game, as that’s the weapon I tend to gravitate towards in many single player FPS games.

Not entirely convinced this is what I’m looking for, but a possibility.

20. Sulkdodds says:

I hadn’t even heard of the guy, but that’s actually amazing. I mean if gives you a great diagetic justification for SUPER AWESOME KILL SHOTS and EXTRA POINTS and ACTION REPLAYS. Also there should be a minor plot arc where the enemy starts making youtube poop of your videos.

Anyway, right now, I’m quite hype about SNIPER ELITE GHOST WARRIOR HUNTER

21. Divebomb says:

oh yeah this actually looks really neat. could be the first genuinely good cityinteractive fps game. and they’re up to like 20 now :-DD

22. DarkFenix says:

Looks fairly promising. I liked the premise of Sniper Elite, what I disliked was the idea of spending weeks learning through trial and error the bullet drop and wind effect. I do hope there’s a ‘normal’ difficulty, since I want the indicator of where my bullet will hit relative to my crosshair (at first at least), but I don’t want enemies highlighted.

23. Phill Cameron says:

Grappling Hook!

24. DW40 says:

Range me.

25. RawTheory says:

Looks pretty badass to me…

26. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Lovely allusion in the title :) We call our English literature teacher Tiger after this first opening stanza :)

27. skyturnedred says:

I will definately going to be getting this from the first Steam sale.

What?

28. suibhne says:

Looks much better than I expected from the initial announcement, especially for a $30 USD price tag.

29. Ace says:

Hey that’s the Call of Duty 4 engine! I like that engine.

neofit says:

“Looks like a sniper only version on Arma 2.”

Oh, if only it could be similar to the greatest game of all time :).

Granted, the trailer was short, but:

- the environment seemed very narrow, like valleys, etc., this suggests linear missions (you don’t make these kinds of narrow valleys in games with open missions),

- engagement ranges are in the tens of meters

- I’d rather not get into the health bar.

I’ll of course need more than this little trailer to figure if it’s worth it, but as of now it looks, at best, like a 10€ Steam sale item from the “hehe, wtf is that?” category. This trailer says: I am linear shooter #123456 with a health bar, dumb AI and some silenced weapons.