Valve Time: Portal 2 Slips To 2011

By Jim Rossignol on June 9th, 2010 at 9:09 pm.

Portal 2 delayed? The E3 surprise definitely not Half-Life 3? It seems there is more news from Aperture Science, and it’s arriving via strange transmissions from the Valve mothership. I’ve posted the full release below.

VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD

June 9, 2010 — Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won’t instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

“Also, the game will be even better,” they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD’S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve’s delegate to the EU’s Valve Time Studies Group, Doug Lombardi.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Baka says:

A Portal 2 themed suprise that’s not Portal 2? What did I miss?

• Jimbo says:

“We’re delaying it to add zombies.”

• patrick says:

You three owe me a new keyboard. Hats off to you.

• Veret says:

Left 4 Portal 2 episode 3: Alyx, Gordon, Chell, and a reincarnated Mecha-Bill team up to fight the seemingly endless horde of portal-gun-wielding zombies teleporting into the ruined Aperture Science center. Featuring GLaDOS as the AI director. Due to space constraints and the deteriorating sanity of everyone in the marketing department, this game will hereafter be abbreviated as L3ft IV Port2l (pronounced phonetically).

2. aldrenean says:

Clearly this is just a red herring to throw us off the scent of the REAL surprise, which will be HL(2:E)3.

Clearly.

• Gotem says:

It will be ‘Half-Life: The Movie’ Directed by Uwe Boll

• Beanbee says:

With the cast from 90210

• Starky says:

I’ve a new found respect for Uwe Boll, the man uses and abuses the film industry and tax laws (ironically one of the few using said laws as intended, when almost a lot of Hollywood movies were funnelling investment through dummy German companies, his was real) pumping out crap movie, after crap movie and acting like the biggest internet troll ever to make him self rich.

clearly the man is a genius (after all they don’t just hand out doctorates, of which he as one in literature) – coming up with this cunning plan to abuse videogame IPs to fund his own films.

And shockingly they are actually getting good – his last movie Rampage (not game related at all) was on the verge of being very good indeed, just falling short of excellence.

In real life (I met him at a film festival in France) he seems a really nice amicable bloke, clearly intelligent and quite funny (for a German, hehe).

• Nobody Important says:

Half-Life 2 movie.

And it will be an episode of the TV show “Glee.”

• Psychopomp says:

@Starky

If his cameo is Postal was any indication, he’s aware of how bad his movies are.

For those who’ve not seen it, he plays himself. Only, he’s a pedophile, whose terrible movies are funded by nazi gold. Then, the creator of Postal shoots him so “He won’t fuck up [his] game.”

DollarOfReactivity says:

Well, it seems we must now Adjust Expectations. But seriously, I’m glad Valve finally said something public and definitive about the E3 rumors. A Portal 2 tech demo/preview is so much more reasonable than the delusions of grandeur the community was infected with.

I am also sad it’s not HL3/P3/Source2 :)

4. Vinraith says:

I’m shocked, SHOCKED. Well, not that shocked.

The wait sucks, but I don’t know that it really matters all that much. Portal 2 is going to sell a bajillion copies (that’s my exact prediction, yes) no matter when they release it considering the strength of the first entry in the series. It’ll turn up in due Valve-time, there’s plenty of other stuff to play ’til then.

5. Moke says:

That is a quality press release.

• Pesforozo says:

It is rather awesome.

For a subject so uniformly tedious, it’s especially great. Reminds me of Time, Gentlemen Please!’s system specs.

• Toby says:

This is what I think should be remembered; not that the news was bad, but that the was it was delivered was damn classy.

• Toby says:

-way-

damn.

6. linfosoma says:

A new IP would be nice too, but it looks like that wont be happening any time soon either.

7. rocketman71 says:

I hope it’s Day of Defeat 2.

Yeah, sure.

8. Blandford says:

I’m not sure how much longer will Valve be able to keep this “Let’s not say anything about ep3/hl3/whatnot” approach.

I do understand building up hype, teasing and all that marketing stuff, but this is getting more and more tedious and frustrating than exciting.

Oh, also Portal 2 delayed. Bummer.

9. Andrige says:

“VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD”
    That just killed me. But I wonder what the heck is going on at Valve… Portal 2 that was supposedly going to come this year got delayed, Portal 2 themed surprise cancelled for another surprise, Duke Nukem allegedly showing up on their site, they are saying it’s not Episode 3 but that doesn’t say it could be Half-Life 3 instead… and so on. Need a time-travelling machine so I can get some answers on all this.

Vandelay says:

Even Valve delay press releases are awesome.

But I don’t remember the surprise ever being a Portal 2 themed surprise. If we had of been told that before I probably wouldn’t have gotten my expectations so high that it would be Ep3/HL3/Source2. Of course, it could still be them announcing that Ep3 will be shipping alongside Portal 2, but the chances are a little slimmer now.

• Masked Dave says:

They talked about Apature Science all the way through the release about the surprise. How did you not get Portal from that?

Vandelay says:

Yes and it was clearly meant to be read in the voice of GLADOS, but it never actually said the surprise was Portal related. Hence the speculation that it was HL3/HL2:EP3.

11. fishyjoes says:

Valves press release write obviously write the Team Fortress 2 blog as well.

12. The Colonel says:

Does the reason for delaying it begin in “Co” and end in “onsole”? I hope not because in my book that kind of delay is more often or not to “make the game worse”. Bring it on y’all playa hatas!

• Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

Yeah, because that really ruined the first Portal. It would have been such a great game if only it hadn’t been on the Xbox 360 and PS3 simultaneously.

I’m no console lover myself, but random bashing is useless and makes you look stupid. So you’re better off not doing it.

• Internet guy says:

What’s a Coonsole?

Thermal Ions says:

Huh, you think Valve are going to start designing for console first, PC second? I’d get some new weed man, that stuff you’re smoking is making you all sorts of crazy.

13. l1ddl3monkey says:

E3 Half Portal 2 Life Episode 3 Revealed. Cameo Appearance from Duke Nukem.

Whatever it is, it will be carefully marketed to squeeze every last penny out of us all. Surprised they didn’t release Steam for Apple years ago; they have similar business models.

• JD says:

STFU

• Masked Dave says:

How do they?

Really? How?

• Skinlo says:

I don’t think you have any idea of what you’re talking about.

• PHeMoX says:

Steam made no sense on a Mac platform for as long as it did not run on Intel hardware and the current generation graphics cards… I think you should blame Apple and not Valve for that. ;-)

Thermal Ions says:

That’s right Apple release free DLC for their products all the time. Oh wait, no they don’t they charge like a wounded bull.

14. Ravious says:

God, Valve is so awesome. Their mantra should be followed by all other game companies.

“Let be awesome and not douches [except to pyros].”

15. bit_crusherrr says:

God damn :(

16. Pew says:

Gimme a Valve-published Black Mesa in december please? Then again, I’m not sure if that would speed up the release at all…

17. yns88 says:

I’ve got my bets on Peggle Extreme 2.

18. Wes says:

I can’t wait to play L4D3 in six months time.

• The Dark One says:

Well, they have said that they won’t me making an L4D2 until they’re able to massively revamp their AI.

19. AlexW says:

The thing is, they’ve really actually started to piss me off with this. They specifically announced it in a manner that suggested it would be something that was not Portal 2, then didn’t correct us when we started actually getting our hopes up again, then finally said “FINE, yes, it’s Portal 2. Ugh, would you please stop bothering us about this stupid Freeman bloke already? I’ve never heard of him and I need to get back to taking a dive through my pool of gold in my personal submarine.” I’m really getting sick and tired of their ‘listening to the fans’ attitude allowing them to tease my hopes up for what is apparently clearly vaporware, despite the Ep1 team supposedly moving onto Ep3 after they finished that one and thus working on it for over three years without a word. Good job Valve, really fantastic marketing job you did there.

• Masked Dave says:

Um, did you read this? They’re saying it’s definitely not Portal 2.

Also, how can they be pissing you off, you know when they are going to say what it is, just wait till then!

• Vinraith says:

@Masked Dave

What part of:

E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD’S SAKE*** surprise

didn’t you understand?

• Masked Dave says:

The PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED …surprise.

Hasn’t that been obvious from the start? They made it look like they were going to announce Portal 2 officially with details after the teaser campaign, but then quickly said they were ‘cancelling’ that talk and it would be replaced by a surprise.

The language was still very much based around Apature Science (thus my guess below that it is a game related to that company in some way) but despite that people were getting all excited about it maybe being HL3 even though that makes no sense.

This latest press release is just to let people know that Portal 2 is delayed, why would they bother to release that if they were going to talk about it soon at E3? They can just tell us then!

• AlexW says:

But an announcement that they’re going to announce what they’ve just said they’re not going to announce but the announcement is going to be done in such a way that we don’t know it’s an announcement for that because we’re led to believe it’s an announcement for something else and there is no announcement for the first thing… is also stupid and incoherent. Just because that’s GLaDOS’ thing doesn’t mean it comes across well if you don’t reread it multiple times, and an interpretation that fans of Half-Life are FINALLY going to be thrown even the smallest bone is really quite logical.

• FernandoDante says:

@Masked Dave

I don’t think you’re getting the point here…

Valve is still going to show Portal 2 at E3, and there’s going to be a Portal 2-themed surprise at E3. That’s it, they are specifically saying that the surprise is about Portal 2, NOT Ep 3.

• DrazharLn says:

So, Valve are messing you about if they fail to deny wild claims about Half Life 3? This is what I really don’t get about some fans, why pour so much time and effort into this useless speculation(*). It will be done when it’s done.

There are hundreds thousands of other games out there, yes HL3 will probably be awesome, but waiting for it won’t make it come any faster, stop stressing and play other games.

(*) Well sure, have fun, but don’t get pissy about it now.

• Luckylad says:

@AlexW

I started reading through your comment and saw your insane use of the word announcement in its different forms and the whole comment kind of blurred together like a valve time portal in which they announce their announcement about their canceled announcement which will be replaced by a surprise announcement which they are refusing to announce about until an official announcement is made.

Wisq says:

@DrazharLn: The positive side to all the fanboyism surrounding Ep3 does have a positive side. It ensures that everyone knows there’s still plenty of demand for the Half-Life series.

That ensures Valve will continue making it — even if they found the project at an impasse, even if they had to port their work to a new engine (Duke Nukem Forever style), or even if they had to scrap development and start from scratch. I imagine all the visible demand is good for the morale of the Ep3 team.

Now, granted, that all assumes that Valve would have some sort of trouble with Ep3, and given their track record, it’s hard to imagine that could be the case. The long delay is probably just them doing their usual perfection thing. But you never know.

Praising past releases and eagerly anticipating new releases is never a bad thing when it comes to classic games or game series. Consider that X-COM now has two different sequels (one direct, one inspired-by) in large part because everyone still praises the originals and still loudly wishes for a worthy sequel.

• DrazharLn says:

@Wisq

I understand there are positive sides to the fanboyism (apologies, fangirls) but I think people shouldn’t demand that developers correct them every time they go crazy on the speculation.

20. bitkari says:

So… No Source Engine 2. No Half-life ep 3, No Half-Life 3, No Entirely new surprise game, and actually no Portal 2 either.

I suppose really the only mistake Valve have ever really made is being so fucking good, that they’re now worshipped with such messianic fervour that everyone (including me) is willing to attribute some divine event whenever a mere hint of delectable product syrup trickles out from Bellvue.

• Masked Dave says:

I doubt there is every going to be a Source Engine 2. I mean the brilliant thing about Source is that it’s CONSTANTLY being upgraded. Once is all it needs.

They’ve not said it’s not Ep3 (although how people think that’d be a ‘surprise’ is beyond me) and HL3 obviously doesn’t make sense until after Ep3.

My guess is something set around Apature Science (thus why all the press releases have been about them) other than Portal 2.

Or maybe even a new IP.

• Benny says:

Honestly the time frame for a new engine/game is right since the original release of source. Any game engine, however updated it is, will slowly become a bigger pain to work with as more and more code is added to it. Resulting in conflicts, bigger instability etc. The biggest issue with the Source engine being the size of maps, lack of procedural loading that almost every other big game has now.
      7 years is a long time for one engine to last so i’d expect something kind of announcement about it now. Along with the reason why Episode3/HL3 is so delayed due to working it into a new engine.
      The may not even announce it but i sure hope they’re working on a new engine rather than keeping this one alive for another few years.

Thermal Ions says:

Agreed, Left for Dead tends to prove the point that the more the engine is hacked the more it’s limitations get exposed.

21. Laneford says:

Why is nobody looking for HIDDEN CLUES in this press release?

22. R.Hippy says:

How about a portal gun finding it’s way into EP3? That would be Portal 2 themed. And also possibly even Freeman flavoured.

It could just be that they’ll be anouncing, Portal automatic air freshener though. That what would also be Portal themed.

• bleeters says:

I was under the impression the Borealis (the ship you’re preparing to find at the end of episode 2) was an aperture science ship, so that’s fairly likely. Not that I think it’ll be something as straight forward as giving Gordon a portal gun.

• DrazharLn says:

I thought it saying Aperture Science on the side was a giveaway, personally. :3

• bleeters says:

It *has* been several months since I played episode 2, y’know.

23. Gurnu says:

I’d actually pay to see that.

24. Web Cole says:

Is that a REAL press release? Man, that’s awesome.

If the internet has taught me one thing it’s that if you want to take over the world, perpetrate mass genocide, or something equally diabolical, have a good sense of humour and no one will mind.

25. Tei says:

With this press release, Valve seems a bit angry, and very awesome (as usual).

Anyway “something something THEMED” make me think the “so called suprise” is a minor thing, and not the announcement of a full new game.

26. Cory says:

Has anyone considered a new Counter-Strike? It’s not talked about much in the news anymore, but Steam’s stats consistently have CS and CS:S as Valve’s top games (and usually as Steam’s top games). There’s a huge player base right there waiting to be used.

A new IP would be pretty fantastic, but historically Valve has acquired their IP from elsewhere so that theory is a little lessened for me.

• Skinlo says:

Well there is a CSS beta now, so I doubt they will be releasing CSS 2 any time soon.

Stijn says:

I think Valve might just have forgotten that they own the Half-Life IP.

28. dethtoll says:

Portal 2 getting delayed actually makes my day. I won’t be happy unless it comes out AFTER Episode 3.

29. PHeMoX says:

I hope it’s not a sign that Valve intends to use their Half-life 2 technology for their ‘newer’ games being released far into 2011.

The engine is so terribly outdated.

Oh, and yes we do need a Day of Defeat 2!!

• mejobloggs says:

I wouldn’t call it terribly outdated. L4D2 looks pretty good

30. Tim Ward says:

The surprise will be: another Team Deathmatch game.

31. gabe newell says:

No guys, you’re all wrong.

its PORTAL THEMED TF2 HATS.

• RodeoClown says:

No, it’s TF2-themed Portal hats!

Woo!
      I want to see Chell wearing the Respectless Rubber Glove through those portals!

32. ZIGS says:

Guys, guys, guys… you’re so clueless it’s not even funny. It’s obvious the surprise is a new Steam pricing scheme, called Valve points

33. eclipse mattaru says:

Noone around here used to read Old Man Murray? *Of course* a press release announcing the delay of a Portal game will be highly humorous; after all Erik Wolpaw made a career of mocking developers that tried to weasel their way around product delays, so he better be the first one to laugh at his own.

Also, he’s the funniest person alive.

34. theSeekerr says:

Y’know, I’m really not getting the whole “It can’t be HL3, that won’t make sense until after HL2: E3″ thing.

a) Even Valve have admitted calling them “Half Life 2 Episodes” instead of “Half Life 3 Episodes” was a mistake.

b) HL2: E3 has now been delayed for long enough they could have made a full length game…or two. -If- they manage to polish up 10+ hours of content, I seriously doubt they’d release it as an Episode.

35. PilotJoe says:

Mr. Newell,

Valve is delaying another game. Again. Still no word on Ep3. I was in junior high when I played the first Half-life. I was in High-School when Half-life 2 came out. Since then, I’ve graduated college, started a career, gotten married, been promoted twice, and I’m still waiting to finish the story arc that began six years ago with this game.

This is like reading a wonderful, compelling novel and having the author show up at your home and rip the book out of your hands when your 3/4ths of the way through and refuse to give it back, and refuse to tell you if you’ll ever get to finish it.

Your press release says “MAKING GAMES IS HARD”. You know what else is hard? Actually having to perform on schedule. In the common, everyday working world most people inhabit there are deadlines to projects. Especially during a recession, when you have to pour extra hours and effort into delivering on time, or risk losing your job. I was a child when I started your game, but am now an adult with many responsibilities and precious little time to play games. I understand that you want to deliver the best game possible, and are under no financial pressure to hurry up, but this blitheness and attitude of ‘when its done’ is getting very old. It’s not cute anymore. You are extremely lucky to be in the position you’re in, but customers, especially those of us who have jobs with deadlines and expectations, don’t appreciate having it rubbed in our faces that you don’t have to deliver a product on anyone’s schedule but your own.

Not trying to be rude, just thought you might appreciate a little outsider input on how your recent teaser shenanigans have come across, especially in light of your misjudgment of the L4D2 reception. Being frustrated or disappointed with delays is one thing, but you want to tell me “MAKING GAMES IS HARD”? Now I’m just disappointed in you as a person, that you think you have a hard job. Get some perspective.

• Shalrath says:

“especially in light of your misjudgment of the L4D2 reception.”

Did they think it would do really really poorly or something?

• Clovis says:

Stephen King did that with the Dark Tower series. He finished a few and then waited like 20 years to complete it. He even had afterwords stating that he thought he might die before he finished it.

• SirDigbyChickenCeaser says:

@ PilotJoe: I do sympathise with your frustration,, but look at the reality. Half Life is Valve. It’s their iconic flagship series and they know this better than anyone.

Even if you don’t buy the suggestion that they’re foremost a company primarily comprised of talented and passionate gamers, even the harshest cynic has to recognise they are a business and have an irresistible financial motive to release another Half Life title. It would sell more than Portal and L4D2 combined even if they just slapped the title, a crowbar and a lambda on Daikitana.

Given that, this excruciatingly long wait indicates good things to me. Clearly they aren’t rushing it. They aren’t cutting corners to hit a deadline. They aren’t just running down to the bank to cash Freeman’s cheque. They simply won’t release another game with “Half Life” in the title even if they have the slightest doubt it won’t be worthy of the name. There’s a dwindling amount of games companies out there today who would do this. Many – if not most – would just turn to their team leads and say, “stop fucking about and get this thing out of the door or I’ll find someone who can. I don’t care what state it is in, get it shipped“.

Their secrecy on this (and most other) situations is frustrating for all of us who want to play. My view is they were burned badly before due to leaks, and it seemed to change them as a company somewhat… they soon found out how to be successful while running a tight ship, and applied the methodology to business activities such as PR and marketing just as much as they did to product development and QA.

How many people who have worked for or with Valve (I know there are a couple here who could pop up if you fancy providing an anecdote ;-) in the industry ever hint that their creativity was stifled or things were handled poorly? You just don’t see it. – hell, Minh Le left because he felt there were such high expectations for producing great things! Valve release on their own schedule and to their own high standards, they don’t pander to every gamer looking from the outside in and they aren’t beholden to the pressures of public investors. Valve Time trumps cake, always. This is a huge part of why they consistently produce great games that sell well.

I’m aware I’m probably coming across like some zealous “fanboy” here, and you know what? It’s because I am. I’m not ashamed of that in the least. I can count on my fingers how many companies in the entire industry have earned my good faith and respect in over 3 decades on this planet, and Valve are one of them.

Of course they’re not perfect, but they do try endlessly to be excellent – often, they succeed.

Thermal Ions says:

Kids these days, no patience at all.

36. Serenegoose says:

What confuses me is that it seems to me quite obvious and logical that valve has secretly cancelled episode 3. It’s just never happening. Instead, it’s just Half Life 3: If people will recall, it took them 5 years to even announce half life 2 -existed-, so from that perspective you’ve got a little time to wait til then. When you look at it as well, they’ve a very strong habit of looking at what they do with a critical eye, finding out what works, and doing it, and abandoning the other ideas – so they’ve found out things like free content for stuff like TF2 works, but their experiments with episodic gaming in HL2: episode 1 and 2 cannot be perceived as successful. They took a long time to come out, and whilst they were acclaimed games, as ‘quick, short episodes with relatively small release times’ they were failures. I mean obviously this is an argument based entirely on my perception and not true evidence, but it seems pretty logical to me. I think the first evidence we’ll ever see of Freeman returning will be with a new source engine (because though I absolutely love source, unless they’re capable of some truly amazing stuff, with the release date HL3 must have I simply cannot see it being a viable option) and an announce/big reveal relatively close to release (before being scuppered by valve time, obviously.)

37. Sam says:

Gabe has already confirmed in an email response to a fan saying that it WON’T be Ep3 =(

38. Shalrath says:

“But if we’re not going to get Source 2 by 2011/12 (or even later sigh) it will be terribly outdated by then”

Wait, what?

39. I want to believe says:

My moneys on OPF2.

40. Psychopomp says:

Dear Valve,

The teasing used to be amusing. Really, I love it. That last TF2 blog post, though, made it all tiresome, and irritating. I’m sick of it. Give us something. Anything. Just come out and say “We expect Episode 3 to be out [year and season],” or “We expect the engi pack to be out [month].” That’s all we want. Delay it if you must, no one intelligent will hold that against you, but for gods sake give your fans some information.

41. half says:

“Now I’m just disappointed in you as a person, that you think you have a hard job. Get some perspective.”

Then why don’t go get a job in the game industry?

42. Pilotjoe says:

No, Valve thought that everyone would be stoked when it was announced that L4D2 was coming out, but instead there was a huge backlash because the first game wasn’t even a year old, and it showed that when they WANT to, they can actually bust ass and do some work and make a game, yet it takes years to get episodes to arguably their one claim to fame.

43. Hobbes says:

@Serenegoose:
    Game development times are at best a rough guide, and Valve’s independence from a publisher basically invalidates standard comparisons; historically they’ve only been in existence since 1996 so we don’t have a large data set to make assumptions on. We don’t know how well they expected L4D2 to do, or what they thought of its reception, financially or otherwise. We don’t know their attitude towards episodic gaming, or whether they will stick to their story arc that they’ve been planning since Episode 1 was being made.I’m no expert on game engines, but does Source do what they need/want it to do? They seem to be working on a new IP, but how far along is it? I certainly don’t, and I’m guessing you don’t either. Why not just revel in the mystery & excitement until the 14th and forego trying to apply a surfeit of logic to a paucity of information?

@PilotJoe
    Performing on who’s schedule? Mine? Yours? Why not just say you want everything now, it makes just as much sense, given that you have no information about their internal production system, financials, or their artistic aims. It’s an incredibly successful company that exists to design games, and I see no reason to think they don’t have good reasons to do what they are doing. Sure, they might be wrong, they might misjudge their audience, market or technology, and maybe they’re just swimming in money baths; I’d reckon they know how to keep their jobs. Trying to guilt trip Valve with the recession is so fantastically bizarre it’s beyond me… are you really exasperated by the fact you have to work to a deadline and Valve doesn’t? Really? I mean, really? Seriously?

Yes, it’d be nice if it came sooner, but it’s not as if they’re abusing their customers – reasonably priced fantastic games with very solid fan support is pretty damn nice for the 30 quid or whatever I paid for the Orange Box. I think they’ve learned their lesson after the original HL2 delay.

• PilotJoe says:

Gabe has come out and admitted how taken aback they were with the initial angry reception to L4D2.

I’m not trying to ‘guilt’ them into anything. I’m asserting that they are coming across as arrogant, lazy twats that are more than capable of pushing a product to release when they want to, ala L4D and it’s sequel, but otherwise expect us all to happily wait half a decade for them to finish a commitment they made with this whole ‘episodic game’ experiment.

Valve is easily the most over-rated game dev. studio in existence. They produce fewer games, over longer stretches of time, and continue to do so simply because Steam brings in tons of money. At this point they are an enormous game services company with a little development studio on the side, and I don’t care how polished their games are in the end, if I never get to play them.

• ManaTree says:

Man, you’re so off about your post, I’m not even sure where to start. I’m not joking.

• Sobric says:

@ Joe

I don’t understand where this sense of entitlement is coming from. You want Ep 3 information, we get it. Most people do. However, there’s absolutely no point in getting worked up over it. It’s not like Valve are the only game developer in existence, there are enough games out there that in the world to keep you occupied. It’s not like the end of your book has been taken away from you, its that the author has never got round to writing the next book in the series.

Regarding the attitude of Valve’s Press Releases: I personally like them. They lack the usual marketing spiel that creates cynical reactions among most RPS readers (see: Xcom), and have enough genuine humour in them that my appreciation of Erik Wolpaw rises significantly with each blog post/press release.

Additionally, and this is not aimed specifically at you Joe, I really hope this thread wont devolve into Fanboy vs Knee-jerker arguments. People can have different opinions, that doesn’t mean they have to pigeon-holed into one or t’other.

44. ChaK_ says:

must somehow be a lie.

I mean why would one cancel an event for a suprise…. if the surprise is an event about said game.

I mean half life completly have a link with aperture science with the borealis (so portal)

I still don’t bite on the portal 2 demo, that’s too easy, and it’s no “surprise”

I HATE YOU VALVE, YOU HEAR? :D

45. Neut says:

Yeh I want lots of stuff too that I’m pissed off that I can’t get, tough shit.

46. nabeel says:

Maybe the surprise is that it will in fact be released in 2010. “Psyche!”

47. Kerosiinipelle says:

Whatever Valve’s surprise is, I am waiting for it anxiously.

48. de5me7 says:

I sees no portals ere

innokenti says:

@Those who keep on complaining.

Generally developers don’t get their funnies from watching fans squirm around while they withhold ‘vital’ information such as what they are working on and so on.

They usually get on with doing stuff and there are a myriad of reasons why they can’t, won’t or shouldn’t tell you anything. Valve are already pouring in plenty of time giving us little bits of amusement, so let’s be thankful for that and the fact they’re communicating at all. Doing so is time-consuming and isn’t always useful or productive. Leave the developers alone – they’re not trying to muck you about… they’re trying to make games.

(Frankly, if there wasn’t a need for marketing hype, I’d be happier if all developers across the world kept entirely silent about everything they’re doing up until the game actually hit the shelves. It would be easier on all of us.)

50. aiusepsi says:

I have to say it does annoy me no end when people harp on about where Episode 3 is. As innokenti said, they’re not just messing around with us for fun.

They’re just not talking about Ep3 because a) It would take the focus off Portal 2, and b) They don’t know themselves when it’s going to be done, and any date they attempted to give us now would invariably be wrong.

It’s a simple consequence of they way Valve develops things that their scheduling is inherently non-linear. They iterate on something until it’s fun; sometimes you get that right first time, sometimes it takes a lot, lot longer. The point is, you can’t tell, a priori if something is going to be fun. L4D2 probably just had such a quick turnaround because it was a relatively conservative extension of an existing proven concept.

I’d rather play Valve games where they have the freedom to chuck away stuff that doesn’t work, rather than having to leave in something they know is bad in order to hit an arbitrary deadline. The disappointment caused by a delay is temporary – a bad game is forever.

• bleeters says:

I always assumed the delay between Half Life 2 episodes was to give us sufficient time to forget about the inevitable recurring:

– sections where you defend a slowly descending elevator against zombies
      – sections where you cross toxic waste by dropping items in front of you to stand on with the gravity gun
      – puzzles involving stacking weight at one end of a see-saw style object in order to lift up the other end

(Not that I don’t love Half Life. I’m just saying, when episode 3 rolls around, opening with a helicopter crash and the loss of all your weapons, I’m going to start tearing out hair)