Pre-Pre-Pre-Pre-Register For Crysis 2 Beta

By Alec Meer on June 10th, 2010 at 10:16 pm.

That may be too many ‘pre’s, or it may be too few. I’m just pre-supposing, really. Either way, Crytek are on a recruitment drive for their community / modding site, offering the juicy carrot of possible Crysis 2 beta access.

Only a chance of it, mind.

Basically, official fansite MyCrysis (sounds like a self-help forum) is going offline tomorrow. Only for a little while, though – it’s back, baby, back later the same day, and will fling open the doors to new registrations. The early ones will be ‘tracked’, and in with a chance of ‘winning’ beta access to the upcoming shooter sequel.

To be more specific, “Early registrations will be tracked, and our first wave of users will have a chance to win a key as and when the Crysis 2 beta takes place. All you need to do is sign up early and one day in the near future you may be receiving a mail with an invite to the game.”

“A chance.” “To win.” “One day.” “Near future. “May be.” It couldn’t be more vague, but there you go. Hopefully there’ll be various other ways into the beta once it’s more concrete.

Oh, and you can also win a mouse. I hate mice. I’ve got ‘orrible RSI because of one. Have to take ibuprofen four times a day until it goes away. So boring. Fortunately, you can buy these great huge tubs of the stuff in America for about 50p, which was probably the highlight of my trip to see Homefront in New York last week (the preview of which is turning up on Eurogamer tomorrow.).

Actually, the guy walking barefoot through Central Park, wearing nothing but a dirty wedding dress on his body and an angry-looking grey parrot on his head, was probably the highlight.

Oh yes, Crysis 2. Did we show you this trailer yet? I’m going to put it in anyway.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Joe says:

There have only been 2 games before that I’ve been as excited for as Crysis 2. Half-Life 2 and Mass Effect 2. As it is, I already have it pre-ordered, but playing it even earlier than that would make me a very happy camper.

2. GS says:

as someone who has ironman’d both crysis and warhead several times i am eager to get my hands on this but at the same time i want to play final code and avoid the hype machine leading up to its release.

its not easy :(

3. elyscape says:

Seriously?

4. Eluvium says:

Ever since Wolfenstein 3D graced my hard drive, I’ve loved this type of game. But as GS said previously I’d like to hold off the temptation to play the beta and just wait for the final code instead. I hope it is not as much of a hardware sucking beast that Crysis was.

5. Yargh says:

that doesn’t exactly bode well for Homefront

6. Mudkipz says:

The new site is up, but rather slow. Trying to make an account now.

7. Wordy says:

Why do I get the feeling that most of the people who will ‘win’ access to this beta will be people who own insanely powerful computers that the rest of us peons could only hope to own, and will use it merely as a demonstration of the immense power of their beast to show off to their friends. Instead of, you know, testing the game and reporting any bugs to the developer so this game isn’t as buggy as the first one was.

I can already hear the exclamations of “My PC can play Crysis 2 at max settings at [insert stupidly high resolution here] ner ner ner” across the Internet now.

• Tei says:

I think the “race to hardware upgrade” stoped years algo, or has slowed a lot.

Several factors work here:
      – Jump from 32 to 64 bits. If you have a 32 bits OS, you rarelly need to upgrade ram wen you already have 3 or 4 GB.
      – CPU’s are not much faster every generation, but runs more code in paralel, but something like a game is not parelle, A “frame” is a non-parelel task. Rendering a frame is a linear task.
      – The current generation of consoles is good enough for simple-FPS games.
      – The race of realism is getting very small dimishing returns.
      – The race of realism, is getting giganteous budgets for very small graphics enhancements. Is very expensive to make stuff a bit more real.
      – Windows still works on the NT serie, that is more than ~15 years old. Everything built on top of it is of very low quality, and no legacy code has been removed. The network stack has been nerfed, and now the video stack will be nerfed (as a sacrifice to the DRM gods).
      – NAT, IPv4, etc… make the ability to serve games from users really hard. This stop the ability to create new ways to make gaming, like “personal MMO’s” or something not even invented.

8. Kevbo says:

Since this is optimized code meant for consoles and PC, it should run much better on everyone’s PC. It may not look as good as the original but I’m all about the gameplay anyway so hope they don’t make it slow with a low FOV. Should be interesting to see the game but I just hope they keep it open for modding since I love the crysis mods :)