Jumpgate Evolution Still Evolving

By Jim Rossignol on June 11th, 2010 at 9:00 am.

Just as memories of much-delayed space MMO Jumpgate Evolution were deleted by our brains to make room for voluminous Portal 2 hype, a trailer turns up. As is my habit, I’ve posted the thing below. It’s a look at the warlike Octavius faction. And… it’s a SHOUTY MAN TRAILER! Hooray! It’s been a while since we had one of those. For some reason it doesn’t seem to feature any in-game footage, but pictures weapons and stuff being made. I presume this is the first element in a barrage of new space-publicity for the game, which spluttered off into the remote asteroid belt of developmental uncertainty after we got to play it last year. (I notice the last news we had on this was that it was due for June 2009, which is a target I suspect they will now miss.) There’s a beta signup on the site.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Divebomb says:

certainly an annoying trailer. stop shouting already

2. the wiseass says:

Lance Robertson beamed down from space to explain in a forum post why the delay has happened and what they have been up to while they ‘went dark’:

3. Tei says:

Nice, but seeing here codemasters is a negative point. These are cool people, but lazy, see how DDO is not f2p in europe. GOA has made me fear the lazyness of european distributors. For some reason, the USA distributors are always creating new things, offerts, cool things, making all people lazy. While european distributors are nightmares out of a Kafka book. Maybe USA really understand capitalism, and we here in europe are not “getting it”.

• MadMatty says:

DDO is f2p in europe.

• Tei says:

Argh. I have get out of things to get angry at, this maek me very angry.

• Azhrarn says:

GOA is certainly terrible. Their handling of the Warhammer Online Beta was more than enough reason to not even consider buying the game. That the game itself wasn’t very good didn’t help, but GOA made it all a lot worse.

• Starky says:

DDO is not F2P in the EU Matty.

EU players can play F2P on the American servers, but the European servers are still sub only.

4. westyfield says:

Is that Zaeed?

5. Chris says:

Mankind speaks with an Essex accent?

I’m rooting for the aliens.

• Heliocentric says:

The fastest breeding parts of society will determine the traits of that society. Stands to reason.

• Seth says:

Well, I don’t know if it stands to reason, it’s not exactly panning out in the real world…

6. Mr Labbes says:

I really hate it when commercials are not bufferable. The commercial took more time for me to “watch” than the trailer, just because it stuttered like hell (word – 3second pause – word).

In other news, the trailer is great. WE ARE SPAR….OCTAVIUS.

7. Lobotomist says:

Here is the truth.

When JGE first surfaced the plan was simple. Take JGC (jumpgate classic) slap new graphic , make the game bit better and rerelease it (Hence Jumpgate “Evolution” name). They even claimed that having all the resources from old game it will take them one year to launch.

4 years passed since then. Creator of original game and main designer of JGC left. Game suffered “back to drawing board” twice.

What once was planned to be Elite-Privateer Online (like EVE but twitch controlled piloting) , is now something more akin to WOW Battlegrounds in space.

And I ask , why bother ?

If you want instanced spaceship battles between 3 factions on closed maps. You have Freespace.
    Its much better game for that.

This game is so far from what it originally supposed to be. They better change the name.

• Antsy says:

Indeed. They could call it XCOM: Evolution.

• Malcolm says:

Really? Not sure that sounds as much fun :(

• Wulf says:

Gosh, that is a shame. That explains why it went from looking interesting to looking awful.

I was interested in this based on the original concept. It sounded rather like Freelancer. And I have [i]so much love[/i] for Freelancer, being one of the only space games that ever really sat well with me, along with the likes of Wing Commander III, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, and Star Control II (now the Ur-Quan Masters). I mean, good grief, the Treasure Planet game–based on the movie–is more interesting than most space games.

I suppose that the problem I have with a lot of space games is that they’re boring, and I don’t want boring when I explore space, I want imagination and incredibly awe-inspiring stuff. I suppose it’s because Doctor Who and Star Trek taught me that space is supposed to be exciting, and that there’s brilliance to be found at each of those twinkling points in the darkness. There’s adventure to be had out there, it isn’t just routine, and dull, and mining, and so on.

I can’t really classify ME2 as so much of a space game, though, because it wasn’t really about exploration. It was a Sci-Fi RPG. A very good one! And it did have some very interesting aliens, and the Citadel was nice, so despite it not being an exploration game, it was still head and shoulders above most.

In fact, my ideal space game would probably be Galaxy Rage (when/if it ever gets released): http://www.dejobaan.com/galaxy/index.htm

The industry seems to be obsessed with Dullspace™ at the moment, though, so… what can you do? JumpGate: Evolution might have been interesting, maybe, and possibly even exciting and fun, but now it’s gone Dullspace, like many space games these days, because it’s easier, and the things people weren’t expecting to find (it’s outer space! /flail) won’t be there in order to scare them of by being alien, so I suppose it’ll sell better, too.

Have I mentioned that in general I despise the comfy-safe-and-familiar-loving human race?

/thuds

Tangent over!

• Antsy says:

Dr Who taught me that quarries were exciting. I wonder how many quarry related deaths in the late 70′s and early 80′s could be blamed on Dr Who and Blakes 7…..

Hows that for a tangent!

• Lambchops says:

Disappointing to hear that. Jumpgate was pretty much the only MMO (perhaps with the exception of the Secret World) which actually held any interest for me, largely because of the promise of twitch based dogfighting space game awesomeness.

Sad to hear that it’s turning into a standard style MMO but in space.

• jsdn says:

Kill 10 space rats?

8. MadMatty says:

screw this (maybe) i´m waiting for Infinity, for my space-opera wank-time.

9. Meat Circus says:

I think that Black Prophecy’s shouty man was better.

So, if this game’s no longer just Jumpgate evolved, what is it now?

10. teo says:

Pretty sure it’s not.
    Sounds more like Logain from DA:O but I don’t think it’s him either

11. Frenz0rz says:

Was incredibly excited about this game for ages, and was looking forward to playing the beta over a year ago. Spent a lot of time on the forums, read up on the lore, and even gave old Jumpgate a try. However, I have long since stopped giving a shit, and this trailer does little to renew my interest.

12. Durkan says:

Was I mishearing things or did he actually say “it is a time of war, it is a time of heroes” in an incredibly shouty voice?

Really nice to see an upcoming game with such incredible dialogue and storyline. ME2 must be quaking in it’s spacey looking boots.

13. Shrike says:

Shouty McMoron really does ruin the whole image of the game. In a civilisation intelligent and educated enough to build all that crazy shit in the video, I really doubt anybody would put some meaty idiot in charge of anything, never mind their armies. Unless, perhaps, it is like most shonen anime, in which shouting loudly makes the machine you are controlling work better.

14. WiPa says:

Why is Vinnie Jones in space?

15. DarkFenix says:

I was genuinely interested in JGE about a year ago. Back when it looked like being basically Eve with manual ship control.

Since then it’s turned into WoW in space. I lost interest about the moment the word “instance” started popping up. When will these people learn, if you instantiate everything, it stops being an MMO and becomes a regular online game with a fancy 3d chat lobby (see Guild Wars).

16. Rockjaw says:

Hey RPS folks. I’m Community Director for Gazillion Entertainment, and we’re publishing Jumpgate Evolution in North America (and also own NetDevil, who are developing the game).

@DarkFenix: Instances are in fact the exact opposite of what JGE is about. There were instances planned for some PvP before the game’s ‘reboot’ but now the game is very much about avoiding instances. It’s about massive space warfare.

I’d actually go as far to say that ‘WoW in Space’ is the exact opposite of what JGE now is.

We’re going to be releasing a lot more information during E3 – and if anyone from RPS is reading this and is attending the show, you’re welcome to drop by the booth (511A) and see for yourself.

PS – The trailer is CG, true, but it’s all done using in-game models. :)

• Ace says:

Hi Rockjaw, I have a quick question for you. I played EVE for a very short while (a couple of days) before I became very very bored. I’m a quake player normally with a competitive mindset and a love for fast action. Does your MMO offer anything for the fast action type FPS gamer? If the combat is anything like XWing Alliance I will literally empty my bank account and hurl wads of cash at you.

17. remover says:

Black Prophecy will bury JGE alive, if either game actually comes out.

• Brian Rubin says:

I’m excited for both Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy. Jumpgate Classic is my most-played MMO (played on and off since the beta) and I’m excited about it.

18. Redford says:

Congratulations, Netdevil. You have betrayed 100% of your fan base, and doomed one of the most unique online games to death simply because your designers think shooting things is more exciting. You may think that you can rationalize this somehow, like “if we just include everything we had in Jumpgate people will play it because it’s named Jumpgate!” People played Jumpgate because at the time it was released it was a new and most unique thing.

Does this mean I won’t play JGE? Well, no. I might be a hardcore fan of Jumpgate, but there is a slight chance that this game may have some kind of redeeming feature besides “It’s just like Jumpgate!” I have low hopes, since Black Prophecy has been in development for just as long,and have not redesigned their game twice this improving the chance of strong game design, which is supported by the amazing ship building system already revealed by them.

All Netnevil has announced is that they are screwing over their player base and that they are changing the game in some way they have not gone into detail with.