CT’s Kings And Castles Footage

By Jim Rossignol on June 12th, 2010 at 6:56 pm.

Gas Powered Games have been exhaustively videoblogging the progress of their new strategy game for a while now, but a lot of it seemed to consistent in Mr Taylor talking about farmyard animals, and I’ve kind of lost the thread. Anyway, there’s some actual footage from the game in this latest episode, which might be worth taking a gander at (gander! See, now I am at it.) Furthermore, I must implore you to judge what you see here at face value, as if it is all the game consists in. I am sure there are no other menus, features, units, or strategic elements to Kings And Castles whatsoever. It’s surely just a game about tiny men storming a bridge that eventually gets bombed by airships, and nothing more. Not like the other games that did things differently in the past. No, sir.

, , .

1. Inigo says:

Supreme Commander: Kingdoms, then?

2. Mad Doc MacRae says:

“Furthermore, I must implore you to judge what you see here at face value, as if it is all the game consists in. I am sure there are no other menus, features, units, or strategic elements to Kings And Castles whatsoever. It’s surely just a game about tiny men storming a bridge that eventually gets bombed by airships, and nothing more. Not like the other games that did things differently in the past. No, sir.”

Bit sore are we? If you don’t want people to comment on XCOM just turn off the comments every time you post one of their trailer.

As for this, the graphics look a little like one of the newer knights sets from Lego.

OH NO I SAID SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE CONSTRUED AS NEGATIVE ARGH BLARG RPS COMMENTERS ARE PILLOCKS

• Jim Rossignol says:

They do look somewhat awkwardly blocky. It’s a look that works best for robots.

Also, jokes are funny.

Clearly I want people to comment. That’s what this site is for. Doesn’t mean I don’t get to take the piss out of them. That’s also what this site is for.

• Metalfish says:

If we act like children we’ll be treated like them. Although it might be worth it if John comes and reads me a bedtime story.

• Spoon says:

RPS: Catheter of the internet.

• Jimbo says:

I hate everything, but I hate this game most of all.

• Kid A says:

Catheter? The XCOM trailer comments look more like a colostomy bag.

• WiPa says:

JIM I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU DON’T LIKE THIS GAME.
      YOU ARE THE WORST MAN ON THE WORLDS.

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

Mad Doc MacRae: The the first man in the history of RPS to degenerate from ‘angry internet man’ to ‘petulant internet child’. Pray there may be no more.

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

Oh sweet irony

• Nick says:

I would pay cash money pounds for John Walker read audio books.

Bed time stories ftw.

• dadioflex says:

Why does Chris Taylor want to make me hate him?

3. Jake says:

I like how the blue king just roars a lot and blows up his own people, but I don’t like the guy on the chair at the start.

4. Uhm says:

I think it’s an insult to kings and castles of the past, tbh.

5. Fox1 says:

Did you feel like Jim was taking a shot at you, specifically, or were there other factors you considered before deciding to act like a defensive little girl?

You could–maybe–accuse Jim of being defensive, but at least he’s also mildly amusing.

I don’t know about “pillocks,” but there sure are a lot of thick-skulled, humorless, AIM around, of late.

6. Suprore says:

I’m happy to entertain that this might be a more whole, quality product than this video shows.

However, i’m holding out for Atari Games to produce, independently of chris taylor, the 50s themed first person shooter Total Annihilation: KIngdoms. I think that game will be way better.

7. Tei says:

I like the graphics map. But I would love to see the forest destroyed, all these trees burning ( I hate trees ). The graphics of the men are a bit blocky, but Is normal for a RTS, since there willl be a lot of men on screen and the camera will be zoomed out. The zeppelin and dragon looks like nice things, a bit weird how the zeppelin shot.. more like dropping down the bullets. Theres not much to be said, other, good luck with the development :-)

• Premium User Badge JB says:

@ Tei – I’ve noticed your tree-hate a lot recently, this thread and World of Tanks specifically. Were you hurt by a tree when you were a child? It’s ok, you can share it with RPS…

8. snv says:

• Tei says:

It has something to do with the dude on the chair, and the chickens. I say private jokes. The one about the chicken is easy, chickens=dragons as in … Discworld. The girl could be a artist from the team, a key element of the team, or the girlfriend of the dude on the chair, is unknom at this point. :-)

• Nova says:

Yeah, a bit odd looked like she plays the dragon that closes in on the airships in the end.

• westyfield says:

Have you been watching the other videoblogs? She is a member of the design team, Chris Taylor is on record as saying “She’s funnier than me. I hate her.”

There are a lot of random jokes in the videos, like the chickens and “That’s my lunch”.

• Jimbo says:

“Whats with the weird end? Is there a point to that, or do i have to spin my own tale about the attractive blonde lying on her belly on a table with disheleveld hair and a camera around…?”

I know I did.

9. pupsikaso says:

Now we’ve done it. Jim’s upset with us.

10. Kid A says:

OH MY GOD THIS IS AWFUL BECAUSE IT IS NOT ENTIRELY MATCHING UP TO THE PICTURE OF IT I HAD IN MY MIND I WILL NOW INVOKE THE WRATH OF JIM BECAUSE I AM AN ANGRY INTERNET MAN WHO WILL NOT SETTLE UNTIL I HAVE DRAGGED THE DISCUSSION INTO THE STRAWMAN-FILLED MUD

I actually quite like it. Age of Empires + SupCom scale + Gandalf.

• Tom Davidson says:

I love the idea of making little adobe houses out of strawman-filled mud.

• Kid A says:

Yeah, it’s a nice thought but they’d get knocked down as soon as you threw an apple at them.

11. fallingmagpie says:

This looks nothing like K-ings and C-astles, and very much like a generic castle ‘em up. How dare they try to tag it on to such a popular franchise? Bastards.

Weird video, too.

12. airtekh says:

I like the music.

13. tungstenHead says:

I was expecting a trailer of a game about men storming a bridge that eventually gets bombed by airships and nothing more. Then there was a dragon! My expectations were completely blown away! Game of the year.

14. Beanbee says:

We’ve actually seen a good view of their whole process over the last 15 weeks, even them talking about the game footage being largely (or entirely) scripted. Ofcourse it looks unfinished, we’ve seen how far from finishing they actually are!

15. Dworgi says:

I would play a game about bridge storming and airships.

Especially if it was a shooter set in the 50′s.

16. El_Capitan says:

Why are the red men attacking? I think it would be a bit more strategic to just wait for the blue men to attack? And maybe they should have destroyed the bridge themselves, problem solved…

• Tei says:

There are a lot more red man than white men, so wen you have superiority, It make sense to attack, before the enemy has time to prepare or get reinforcements.

17. DK says:

It does look like they’re not using their Demigod and SupCom 2 style Maya made super-pretty-you-can’t-mod-it maps, but rather the bit’s and pieces built SupCom 1 style maps. And they’ll be potentially able to cram a LOT more units into the game than they could in SupCom because a fantasy settings doesn’t have as many projectiles flying around.

18. Burningpet says:

Notes to self – when in battle, stray away from lego like bridges, as those tend to fall.

if you are a mighty king on an hovering horse. hitting thin air is enough to knock peoples down.

what happend to GPG? first demigod, then supcom2, now this??. their future doenst look bright.

19. sendmark says:

looked like Warcraft 3 mixed with supreme commander, but a bit crapper.

20. The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

They should seriously fire the entire art-dept.

In other news, I hate you all and disagree with all your opinions.

21. HYPERPOWERi says:

Yay! Kingdoms!

22. Thants says:

I hate to be an Angry Man on the Internet but after the spectacular dumbing-down that was SupCom 2, it’s going to take a lot to get me interested in this one.

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

Did you hear, you’re not allowed to have negative opinions of games on the internet anymore.

23. Trousers says:

When is someone finally going to make non clunky hand to hand combat animations in an RTS? IT’S 2010, THE FUTURE. Maybe they need a more cartoony, less taxing engine?

And that bridge looked awful..

24. futage says:

:D

25. SwiftRanger says:

It’s looking quite promising if you followed the video blogs, the PC Gamer preview and some of the e-mail answers CT has given fans. Console versions aren’t a certainty anymore which probably is linked to the fact GPG are doing everything for K&C themselves (PR, marketing, publishing it on Steam, etc.), those bridges can be rebuilt, they’re gonna push the revamped engine more than with SupCom 2, Age of Empires II is CT’s biggest inspiration, a beta test through Steam has been promised, you can create your own friggin’ custom formations, nothing you see here is final, definitely not the animations.

As for GPG’s status: Demigod still got patched recently and is the most new-player-friendly of all DotA-clones. SupCom 2 is also the best skirmish RTS game of the year, despite the fact it wasn’t the perfect sequel (then again, SupCom/FA had plenty of flaws as well). SupCom 2 is fun, you just need to get over the silly campaign and the restricted demo. And if everyone paid attention: GPG sold off their SupCom IP to Square-Enix, just like they recently did with the Dungeon Siege. I can only guess that gave them some cash and time to go all crazy with “the game that TA: Kingdoms should have been”.

• dadioflex says:

After playing all those Total War games, the apparent lack of anything approaching a military formation made that encounter in the video look absolutely bizarre to my eyes. Not sure how custom formations will work, but those armies hit each other like a bunch of different coloured ball bearings meeting at the end of two chutes.

• SwiftRanger says:

Like I said the video blogs (especially vlog 15) show a lot more than the average “just show a battle for easy sneak peek E3-trailering purposes”, the Total War E3 trailers didn’t really show formations at work either.

See also the “nothing you see here is final, definitely not the animations.”

26. Inferno says:

Can’t wait for this. Chris taylor is awesome :D Been watching all the hilarious blogs.

Not sure why people are saying gandalf powers. I don’t remember gandalf EVER letting out a huge shockwave like that.

27. Adrian says:

Wow the animations don’t seem like they can keep up with other recent titles. and please pleas not another battle for middle earth gandalf uber attack that can take out an entire army

28. jonfitt says:

Those bastards.

Not a thought for the hundreds of labourers and stonemasons who sweat and died for years to build that bridge.
    Things like that don’t spring up over night you know.
    Then some ponce on a horse comes along and destroys it because he thought he’d rather spend his money on fancy airships than enough soldiers to defend his realm.

That wouldn’t happen if this game was autonomous, Anarcho-Syndicalist Communes and Castles.

29. MadMatty says:

so what excactly makes this game differ from any other medieval settinng RTS?

30. Zeratul says:

From the maker of Supreme Commander 2, crappiest game of 2010, comes this new RTS! It features blocky looking knights, blocky looking heroes ripped off from WC3 AND airships that clearly have no resemblance whatsoever to Strategic Bombers!

All cynicism aside, I really hope this is good. But if I see ONE MORE CASUAL GAME from Chris Taylor, it will be my last. I don’t want to waste another 50$ on a game my 12 year old sister finds too idiotic to play.

And if you loved Supreme Commander 2, please go back there and spam more fighter bombers / AC3000 gunships to your heart’s content. Thank you. Oh, and don’t forget to click the little button on your mass converters.

• Inferno says:

Supreme Commander 2 wasn’t a casual game. It did better with the competitive audience than Supcom did. The fact that there’s a dude on a horse means it’s ripped from wc3? Cool I Guess every single game with a single character dude on a horse is ripped from wc3. He’s the king in the game, the only hero shown so far (and it’s only known that you’ll have a king and queen) and with his only power being shown so far looking nothing like a death knight from wc3 then well, yeah it looks nothing like wc3.

If you played supcom or supcom 2 at all and you think those airships look anything like how strategic bombers were then you need to get your vision checked.

You sound a bit bitter over supcom 2 so maybe you should go back and take al ook at how much you spam is supcom and FA if you’re even half decent at the game Oh and don’t forget to click that button that builds mass converters lots!

31. SwiftRanger says:

Well, be sure you don’t forget spamming air superiority fighters and upgrading every SCU, factory and mex+four mass storages in SupCom: FA. ;) Pot, kettle, black, etcetera.

32. prom dresses 2010 uk says:

Please keep it up. I cant wait to read whats next.

33. party gowns says:

I dont know what to say. This blog is fantastic. Thats not really a really huge statement, but its all I could come up with after reading this. You know so much about this subject.