The RPS Bargain Bucket: Poundland

By Lewie Procter on June 12th, 2010 at 9:41 am.

Super Duper Jam packed bucket this week. All the outlets are clamoring to exchange their SINGLE USE NON-TRANSFERABLE LICENSES for your money, so as usual I am taking up the mantle of great arbiter of value. For constantly updated video game cheapness, head to SavyGamer.co.uk. Here are the games that I am instructing you to consider purchasing this weekend.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time – £1.50/€2/$2.50
A new weekly feature for the bargain bucket: I’m going list Prince of Persia: Sands of Time at ever decreasing prices, although short of Ubisoft including it free in cereal boxes I don’t think you’ll ever see it at a better price than this. If you bought it last week for about triple the price, then I owe you a hug and some alcohol, but you can rest at ease knowing that your version from GOG is more likely to run well on our PCs from the future, and GFWLGODBBQ isn’t a great service anyway. Warrior Within is available for the same price, but don’t let morbid curiosity get the better of you.
(Euro price is an estimate because there is no easy way to find out the Euro price from the UK. Thanks Microsoft).

Twin Sector – £6.47/€6.97/$7.47
John thinked “It’s a muddled bag of some splendid ideas and some fun glove action. But it irritates too often, whether it’s by glitching, crashing or ruining yet another fun puzzle with a sodding Tracer.” I like splendid ideas and gloves, but dislike glitches, crashes and ruin, so I’m conflicted. Demo here.

Adventure Shop 3rd Birthday Sale – 50% off
*Use wallet on internet*
“Sorry, I don’t know how to do that.
*Use credit card on internet*
“I don’t think that’ll work”
*Use credit card on computer*
“That won’t fit in there”
*Use credit card number on computer*
“Sorry, I don’t know how to do that.
Rinse and repeat.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind [GOTY] – £3.25/€5/$5
I wasn’t sure whether to pick Morrowind, Oblivion or Fallout 3 as the headline deal here. In the end I settled on Morrowind out of the three because it has the greatest percentage discount, but it’s my least favourite of the three. Bethesda are the daddy when it comes to contemporary big open RPGs, and their last three games are all real standouts. For all the huge differences between them, they play rather similarly. You receive a quest, you wander around doing whatever you want, do a fighting with some baddies, then at some point you complete the quest. RULE: You’re not allowed to buy these if you have them on disc already you silly billy. INSTUCTIONS: Discuss the mods which make these games feel like excellently designed games in addition to already being excellently designed worlds.

Deal of the week
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat – £7.47/€9.97/$9.97
A similar offer was about a while ago, but it’s a little cheaper now, and I understand the loyalty discount now (assuming it works the same on GamersGate as it did on impulse). To qualify for this discount you need to already own either of the other two ESS TEE AAY ELL KAY EEE ARR games, which are helpfully also discounted this week, Shadow of Chernobyl (£4.97/€4.97/$9.97) and Clear Sky (£3.18/€3.98/$3.98). You don’t need to own them from GamersGate though, either disc or digital from anywhere else should work too. Bizarrely, there is no extra-discounted “S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trilogy” bundle, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a retail bundle of all three at some point. Wot Jim thinks about Call of Pripyat right here.

Also of note:
Team Fortress 2 – £6.99/€9.99/$9.99 and free to play this weekend
Iron Grip: Warlord – £2.95/€3.50/$4.95
Eufloria – GamersGate Loyalty Discount
GOG RPG promo

For more excuses to (very gradually) spend far more on games than you ever would normally, head to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. Anarki says:

I picked up Oblivion for £6 or whatever it was. Think I’ll try to start playing “vanilla” style and then if anything really annoys me I’ll find mods to fix it. Can anyone recommend any graphical mods that improve the graphics but don’t mess about with any game mechanics?

• Lobotomist says:

Yea same question here.

The graphic is good enough but i would love a mod that enlarges LOD on distance.

All far away ground is rendered in smudged textures

• Mr Labbes says:

Check TESnexus for “Landscape LOD Texture Replacement”

• terry says:

I run with All Natural, Natural Water, Natural Habitat and Illumination Within Revived. Looks beautiful and runs reasonably on my creaking rig.

• fallingmagpie says:

Here’s a decent (if a bit old now) guide to Oblivion mods. Worth it for BTmod at least, to make the bloody menus readable:

• WTF says:

@Anarki and Lobotomist

You want this:

That will sort out all the shoddy textures and make Oblivion a much better looking game all round

• Metalfish says:

I know this is the /exact opposite/ of what you asked for, but there’s a mod that levels special quest items with the player, as to prevent “the epic sword of god-slaying” being outclassed by a particularly sharp butterknife a few levels later. A properly essential mod in my eyes.

IMO, it fixes the game by working with the absurd leveling system rather than trying to break it.

• SF Legend says:

@fallingmagpie people still use btmod? darnified ui is the way to go.

• suibhne says:

Honestly, vanilla Oblivion is *terrible*. Don’t suffer through it out of some misguided sense of authenticity – do yourself a big favor and start fully-modded.

• Langman says:

Nowt much wrong with vanilla Oblivion.

The_Terminator says:

The Oblivion Texture Overhaul, here: http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/obliviontextureoverhaul.html is a rather good guide to many of the best graphics mods, though it only really includes texture replacers. With a decent PC, you can go all out and use the best of all of them, without having to worry about performance.

Along wtith Illumination Within, which some else has already linked, and Exnem’s Body Mod (to make the people look slightly more like people), thats all you really need graphics-wise.

• aldrenean says:

Here’s a flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/Evdqp.jpg

• MajorManiac says:

@ aldrenean: That jpg flowchart is awesome. I’m saving that for futre use.

I personally find the following link to the top 100 most endorsed mods for Oblivion really useful:

• Urthman says:

The Unique Landscapes mods are fantastically awesomely beautiful. They take huge chunks of the landscape and rework them so they seem like particular unique memorable places rather than the more generic (but still quite beautiful) trees and rocks of the regular game. They don’t change the gameplay.

But you really, really should not play vanilla Oblivion. It’s so much better with Oscouro’s Oblivion Overhaul or the entire FCOM set of mods.

Do you really want rats to be exactly the same challenge when you’re level 30 that they were when you are level 1? Rats that drop golden magic armor because you’re level 30 now?

2. Oozo says:

Also of interest for people who decry how modern RPGs have gotten rid of all the micro management, thus not allowing any more for basic needs like teaching your character to dance (and getting pounded in a pub while doing so):

GOG has an RPG bargain offer these days, including “Arx Fatalis”, “Divine Divinity”, “Warlord Battlecry”, and most importantly, the “Realms of Arkania” trilogy (aka “Das Schwarze Auge – Nordlandtrilogie”).

The latter three games still are what made me the gamer I am, and even though sometimes, feeding and curing your characters might have been a chore, I still long for the uncompromising approach to RPGs those three represented: Where it’s less about comfort, but more about simulating an epic quest, where you can get the flue when you walk off into the mountains without proper equipment and where it was your decisions that decided where your way would take you, and not the game’s restrictions…

• hungSolo says:

@Oozo>> I liked Arx Fatalis quite a bit though I never finished it. I have a boxed copy kicking around but picked up the GOG version for convenience’s sake. A fair dungeon crawl for people into that sort of thing.

• Vinraith says:

@Oozo

I know exactly what you mean. I really miss having to worry about the logistics of adventuring, dealing with basic survival issues has a way of grounding a fantasy adventure and making it so much more tangible to me. I haven’t played the Arkania games but grabbed them yesterday when I saw them on sale, I’m looking forward to the experience.

3. Heliosicle says:

Metro 2033 is also only £15

TRS-80 says:

Why is Clear Sky cheaper than Shadow of Chernobyl? Are they admitting it’s not as good? Meanwhile, I spent nearly an hour at a party last night getting TF2 to work just so I could get the stupid earbuds.

• Metalfish says:

Pfffft. I hope it was worth it. Also, ‘gratz on becoming the target of raging PC fanboys everywhere.

5. Mr Labbes says:

You should check tesnexus for “Beautified Faces”, or so it’s called. In vanilla, all characters look worringly sick. Other than that, most great Oblivion mods introduce new content or change the feel of the game, so I’d say go play vanilla first.

6. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Of the adventureshop anniversary:
    The Whispered World for 15USD – Best DD price so far

I’m actually quite tempted…mmmm….

7. Snargelfargen says:

It’s possible to waste quite a bit of time modding Bethesda’s games, simply because there’s so much content created. Some of it is very good though. Bethesda’s official forums are a great source of information: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/index
    For Oblivion:
    The Unique Landscapes Project is a modular overhaul of the game’s environments, making it very pretty and a lot less generic.
    and Morrowind:
    Less Generic NPCs adds unique dialogs to almost every single character in the game. Its surprisingly well written, and again modular, so you can pick and choose what you want.

8. Snargelfargen says:

For Oblivion:
    and Morrowind:

9. Sbargelfargen says:

This site guides you through all the various options for LOD and textures in general

10. Paul says:

Stalker COP is easily one of the best shooters ever made. The gameplay is nice and complex (for a shooter) and the atmosphere is total. If I were reviewing it, I would give it 10/10. Cannot wait for Complete mod for it.

11. Wilson says:

Iron Grip: Warlord is good fun, and definitely worth it at that price I think. If you aren’t too bothered about cutting edge graphics it’s a pretty neat mix of tower defence and first person shooting.

12. Aemony says:

“RULE: You’re not allowed to buy these if you have them on disc already you silly billy.”

NO! Damn it, I’ve already broken that rule. Oh well, Morrowind is well worth the extra copies (two physical, one digital ^^).

• dadioflex says:

I currently own FO3, Oblivion and Morrowind on disc and on Steam. Just picked up Oblivion this weekend. In fact I’ve been waiting for the deluxe edition to hit that sort of price point for a while. Re-installing Oblivion with all the expansions and DLC is a royal pain in the ass off the discs.

FO3 I got as a game of the year edition, after impulsively buying the download version off Steam and realising I’d need to do a lot of hoop-jumping to get the DLC to work with it.

Morrowind I bought for peanuts over Xmas in the big Steam sale that was on then. Been playing through it off and on since. It’s my favourite by far. And Despite hundreds of hours played I never finished the main quest or joined House Telvani. Epic, brilliant game with fundamentally broken combat. I’m actually playing it hand and glove with an autohotkey script for auto-LMBing. Helpful for making stacks of potions, spell practise and the tedious melee combat. (script is here: http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic43337.html about half way down the page. It’s the one that uses the scroll lock key to turn it off or on.)

13. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Morrowind is by bar the best RPG Bethesda have made.
    Its insanely superior to Ob Lov and Fallout.
    It is, in fact, up there with Deus Ex, Portal and Half-Life, if not above them.

• leeder_krenon says:

morrowind is the greatest RPG ever made.

• Bremze says:

Morrowind is a game I wouldn’t recommend to most people, because the combat, the animations and the cliff racers are all horrid and its really easy to break, but when it works, its just the best gaming experience bar none.

Everything from eccentric old Telvanni wizards living in huge mushroom towers to books about artifacts you can actually find in the game to walking through the ashlands and stumbling on a daedric ruin with no mana and health potions and a sliver of health left to exploring every cave and ruin, because you know there is going to be something unique and hand placed to becoming so powerful, that you can jump from canton to canton in Vivec.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Problem is, Morrowind is exceedingly boring – as RPGs go – due to Beth’s typically rote, soulless writing. However! Go dungeon crawling and ignore the main quest, and you will probably find many hours of solid Ultima-esque gameplay to be had.

But Morrowind is at its best when played with The Underworld.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Bah, I meant to say The Underground. I’m thinking Ultima Underworld, and lamenting that nothing – save for System Shock – has bettered it to this day.. bah!

RPS need to fix this unreliable login system that never seems to actually log in and allow editing!

• malkav11 says:

The combat really isn’t that horrible, it’s just that it’s stat-based so you might miss when you look like you hit. Oh noes!

Other than that, it’s easily the most atmospheric game Bethesda has ever made. And unlike Oblivion, where exploring outside of quest parameters gets you repetitive, respawning, autolevelling cookie cutter dungeons, Morrowind is full of neat stuff to find. (Fallout 3 is also.)

• DrGonzo says:

Agreed. Loved Morrowind, Haven’t liked anything Bethesda have released since really. Oblivion was awful imo, though Fallout 3 was alright.

14. Bullwinkle says:

Any love out there for Devil May Cry 4 ($10 on Impulse)? Do I need a gamepad for this?

Stompywitch says:

I wouldn’t like to play DMC4 without my 360 pad, but it is apparently possible. It does seem very, very controller-designed, though.

15. Jakkar says:

Quick clarification for the above article, a small oversight on Lewie’s part was completely forgetting which is the best game.

.. It’s Morrowind. And you don’t even need to mod it for it to be a fantastically enjoyable game, unlike the other two.

Oblivion needs to be modified using a hammer and an oven, while Fallout 3 needs to have that damned compass removed to retain any sense of suspense or excitement in combat. Both fairly easy to achieve.

16. Clockwork Peanut says:

I’m assuming you need the gamersgate version of the original Stalker to get loyalty discount?

• Alexander Norris says:

To qualify for this discount you need to already own either of the other two ESS TEE AAY ELL KAY EEE ARR games (…). You don’t need to own them from GamersGate though, either disc or digital from anywhere else should work too.

• Clockwork Peanut says:

@ Alexander

thanks, sorry kinda hung over…

17. Jimbo says:

Are any of those Sherlock Holmes adventure games any good?

18. Toby says:

DMC4 is amusing and worth ten bucks, but you absolutely need a gamepad. It’ll play without one but.. eh… I wouldn’t recommend it. Get a pad- I couldn’t live without mine and it makes so many games much more pleasant to play.

19. penhat says:

on that note, what other games do people recommend from the adventure shop deal? broken sword? vampyre story? machinarium? etc?

• Meat Circus says:

Machinarium is a cracker.

phlebas says:

Machinarium yes, absolutely, definitely. Broken Sword 2 yes, 3 probably (it depends on your tastes – it has console-flavoured interface poisoning, annoying action/stealth sequences and QTEs and is generally less committed to being an adventure game, but is still pretty well written and probably worth playing, especially at a knockdown price). A Vampyre Story maybe (it really wants to be good but has some usability issues, is occasionally opaque as to what you’re supposed to do next and fizzles out with a ‘to be continued’ rather than any kind of proper ending. If you’re the kind of player who goes through the whole thing with a walkthrough then only the last of those will bother you and it’ll be a must-buy).
      I’d add Voyage / Journey to the Moon – a couple of annoying timed sequences but on the whole it’s a wonderful game – determinedly old-school in focussing on exploration, solving puzzles through experimentation and logic rather than just guessing what on earth the designer was thinking, and opening up more and more of the place as you progress rather than passing you from one set-piece to the next in linear fashion. The design feels more like a text adventure than anything else, and I mean that entirely in a good way. Return to Mysterious Island is from the same stable, so probably that one too.

20. penhat says:

also, I was intrigued by Gamersgate Condemned deal. Would anyone make the suggestion?

• Heliocentric says:

To me condemned should of got all of the praise which fear got. Don’t play in on hard because the difficulty gets broken towards the end.

• malkav11 says:

I wouldn’t go -quite- that far, but Condemned certainly has much more creepiness and level design variety than FEAR, while substituting excellently visceral melee combat for excellently visceral shootery. Unfortunately, for some strange reason the sequel was never ported to PC, so if you want to experience the rest of the storyline you’ll need a 360 or PS3. (I am told it goes batshit and is not worth it, but I cannot vouch one way or the other at the moment, having played only a few minutes of it.)

oceanclub says:

I have Morrowind on disk , but was tempted to get the Steam version for convenience. Is the Steam version now compatible with the various graphics extender/enhancement mods that involved running seperate EXEs?

P.

• Bremze says:

Yeah, it should run with most of the external mods like MGE, steam modified the executable some time last year.

22. Meat Circus says:

Lewie Proctor is a fucking menace.

I have an ever-growing list of games, with no hope of playing them all, and then EVERY WEEK you turn up and demand that I add to the list.

Yeah, that’s right, *demand*.

Thermal Ions says:

Yeah, then he had the hide a couple of months back to prance off to some show somewhere and leave us addicts twisting in the wind without a bargain bucket for a week. That should be a crime, can’t let us go cold turkey like that. ;-)

23. MD says:

Machinarium is my game of the year for 2009.

24. Colthor says:

How does the Loyalty Edition of STALKER:CoP work exactly? Do I just have to type my SoC CD-key in to the installer, do you have to actually have the original installed, or what?

Are GamersGate OK?

• Matzerath says:

As far as I could tell, COP ‘detects’ the presence of your other installed game (Shadow, Clear Sky) and then installs, with nothing else needed on your part, save putting in the key for COP. I almost wonder if it checked at all …

25. Sulkdodds says:

Download the client, install its background frameworks and set up an account before you’re allowed to buy a game – only to discover that it only takes credit cards which you don’t have. GFWL is a real classy act.

Thermal Ions says:

Tempted to pick up PoP:SoT but then I’d have to install GFWL to do so, and my last foray into it resulted in much annoyance at it’s failure to update itself, but not letting me do anything until it had updated. All up wasted 3+ hours on it before I got it working.

26. Justin says:

I picked up Price of Persia: Sands of Time last week and played through it – I was surprised at how enjoyable it was. The characters are actually characters, the puzzles are actually puzzles – why can’t there be more games like this where you don’t have to say “well, it’s really neat once you get past dealing with problem X or Y”?

• John Peat says:

PoPSoT is one of the best videogames ever made – I would goto a desert island with me, no question.

Yes, the combat gets a BIT grating but the puzzles and the sheer JOY of the movement system more than balance that out.

Even ‘that bit’ near the end doesn’t spoil it too much – it’s everything a game should be and anyone who’s not played it has missed a classic.

• Justin says:

Speaking of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, the new Forgotten Sands game is supposed to be part of the same story. Anyone played it yet? I’m wondering if it’s another good game, or just a movie tie-in? (I suppose it could be both, but that would be surprising.)

• lePooch says:

@Justin

Don’t bother picking up the new PoP Forgotten Sands.

It builds and improves on the original three, but then ramps up the difficulty IMMENSELY.
      And by difficulty, I mean DRM. And by DRM, I mean “randomly pausing the game in the middle of a critical series of jumps just before I reach a safe spot because my router hiccuped”.

The only reason I bought this Ubisoft game was because I figured I could live with the pain of their DRM if it was Prince of Persia. Turns out I could not. Until I find a magically uninterruptable net connection, the game will just languish on my shelf.

And I have no one to blame but myself.

27. Tacroy says:

Impulse has an “indie strategy bundle” that consists of Flotilla and Space Rangers 2. RPS’s coverage of Flotilla made it look worth getting (Homeworld mixed with Strange Adventures in Infinite Space sounds good), but I’ve never even heard of Space Rangers 2. Is it worth getting?

• chaws says:

I replied to this below (see comment from “chaws”). Not sure why it became a new comment instead.

28. Vinraith says:

I got Arx Fatalis and the Realms of Arkania games because I’m a sucker for a good retro RPG (my dream is that GOG will some day get all the D&D gold box games). I’ve been going back and forth over the CoP deal on Gamersgate. I own boxed versions of SoC and CS, I’ve made only modest progress in the first title so far (though I like it a great deal). I’d been figuring I’d wait til I was done with SoC, at least, then grab a boxed collector’s copy of CoP for the nice extras. At $10, though, it’s a little hard to stick to the plan.

• malkav11 says:

After playing a bit of Stalker: SOC with the Stalker Complete 2009 mod installed, I for one plan to wait for Artist Pavel to work similar wonders on Call of Pripyat before I tackle that one (I mean, not that I’m anywhere near done with either previous game myself). And if history is any evidence, there will be another dozen sales on Call of Pripyat by then.

Not that this stopped me from buying it this weekend.

29. Mana_Garmr says:

@Colthor
    I got the loyalty edition of Impulse and when installation was starting I had to show it where to find the folder SoC (retail version in my case, don’t think it matters though) was installed in, so presumably the game has to be on the machine. Whether or not you can uninstall it once CoP is installed I don’t know.

• Colthor says:

@Matzerath (further up) and Mana_Garmr

Thanks. I think I’ll wait and grab the normal version when I feel like it/see it cheap to save reinstalling SoC whenever I want to install the prequel.

30. chaws says:

Space Rangers: Reboot was very well liked. Start reading here:

Does anyone know how this is different from reboot?

31. bookwormat says:

It is 2.49,- EUR here in AT.

32. Nerd Rage says:

@Chaws – Reboot is the base Space Rangers 2 plus some pseudo expansion stuff. I want to say the reboot content is more like a fan mod compilation than an actual xpac because it doesn’t add much to the actual game, it mostly expands the text adventure and rts modes.

33. Meat Circus says:

I have a voodoo doll here of Lewie Proctor. And I’m going to stick (ludicrously good value) pins in it UNTIL HE STOPS MAKING ME SPEND MONEY.

He’s a CIA plot.

34. Dean says:

Okay, broke the RULE on Morrowind, but worth pointing out, the Oblivion GOTY edition on Steam contains all the DLC. The boxed version only has KOTN and Shivering Isles. And at that price it’s currently the cheapest way to get all the DLC. So if you’re a completest it might be worth getting anyway (although, none of that DLC is actually any good…).

• Vinraith says:

Knights of the Nine is a bit confusing. See, there’s the DLC Knights of the Nine, and there’s the boxed DLC collection also titled Knights of the Nine. The latter contains all the DLC for Oblivion. So when the boxed GOTY says it contains Knights of the Nine, it means the latter and not the former. It is, to my knowledge, complete just like the Steam version is.

• Dean says:

Nope, it isn’t. The Game of the Year edition only contains the Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles DLCs. The other DLCs were in the boxed release of Knights of the Nine that came out as an expansion ages ago, but they’re not in the Game of the Year edition. Or at least, not in the UK version anyway. They’re certainly not in mine.

• malkav11 says:

Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles are the only substantial DLC for Oblivion. The rest include things like the infamous horse armor, four or five (admittedly elaborate) player houses for specific types of player, spell books as random loot (this isn’t terrible), and a single quest DLC for a fancy dagger.

• Vinraith says:

@malkav11

In fairness, while the horse armor DLC is rightly famous for being a rip off, horses are actually pretty delivate in Oblivion and barding does help. It’s not worth any money on its own, but as part of a free package it’s nice to have.

@Dean

That’s really strange about the retail package, thanks for the correction.

35. Dav says:

Decided it was worth the inevitable aggravation to get Sands of Time at that price. Signed up, downloaded, installed, launched, signed in, and got told “Javascript required to sign in.” Of course, the client doesn’t have any option to enable Javascript, and searching the help gets me absolutely nothing. I guess I’ll try fiddling with IE settings just in case that’s the secret. Arglebargle.

Update:
    Hm. Well, it seems to work now. Guess we’ll see if I was right.

36. Noseybonk says:

Is there a mod which gets rid of/alleviates Oblivion’s enemy autolevelling? I could never bring myself to revisit it once I found out that the bad guys were toying with me, become stronger as I progressed. Stupid design choice.

37. laikapants says:

I’m a silly billy then. I re-purchased the Morrowind GotY for the third time (the first two on actual discs, but I gave one to my cousin eons ago) and re-bought Oblivion because I only legally owned the main game (I had all the DLC, but no way to retrieve it were my hard drive to fail).

38. Ginger Yellow says:

Hmm. Bought Sands of Time, depsite already having it on GameCube. Now it won’t let me fucking play it, because of its stupid activation system. I’m getting “An existing connection was forcibly terminated by the remote host” evey time. And, yes, I’ve tried switching off anti-virus and firewalls. Nice work, Ubi.

• Wulf says:

Interestingly, I read up on this to help out a friend with getting it to run on his rather butch netbook.

Eventually I tracked the error down to the DRM, with lots of people on the Ubisoft forums telling those asking to use a certain crack, since it fixes all problems. Those people replied back positively that the crack worked for them.

I’m going to be having deja vu when future-people have this problem with Assassin’s Creed II, bought off a Steam sale in 2020.

I’d post a link to the crack but… I really don’t think I’m allowed to do that. :<

• Justin says:

Wulf/Ginger Yellow: I bought Sands of Time off of gog.com last week – no problem starting it up. If nothing else, you could purchase that version, which was still stupid cheap last I looked.

39. Wulf says:

I’ll add my support for Morrowind as well. It was like Fallout 3 in some important ways, and unlike Oblivion in some very important ways. There were also things that I personally liked about it:

1.) It had werewolves out of the box, really decent looking werewolves, too. That counts for something in my book.

2.) It had beast people that actually looked like beast people, and not uncanny valley constructs of horror. The animation was horrible of course, but the animation is horrible in every Bethesda game, but at least they had the visual appearance down.

3.) The lizard ladies didn’t have mammary glands, because lizards with mammary glands look Utterly. Bleedin’. Ridiculous! /thuds And not in that absurdist way I like, either, but more in that ‘humanity’s drive to add bewbs to everything’ way that gets on my nerves.

Then there were other things, like dwarves that were apparently able to make robots, floating islands, wizards falling out of the sky and scaring the shit out of you, and so on. It was a really fun game.

• malkav11 says:

Er, it did not have werewolves out of the box. They were introduced in the second expansion, Bloodmoon. That was one of its major selling points.

phlebas says:

That would depend which box. Assuming it’s the GOTY box, it has great werewolves without needing them to be modded in.

• malkav11 says:

I generally read “out of the box” as “from the first retail release”, but I suppose “without modding” would work.

40. Thefarstriker says:

When I did it, it couldn’t find my SoC on its own but it let me manually find it. When I did it began installing just fine.

41. archangelq says:

@Ginger Yellow and Wulf:

Charming, really.

Time to track down that crack, and hope it doesn’t bork my computer, just so I can play a game I *bought*.

42. Huggster says:

Metro 2033 now in steam sale for £15

43. Ginger Yellow says:

“It looks like they failed to keep the domain for the registration server registered. If you do the ‘offline’ activation, it takes you to a page that has the same issue. Go to the root of that domain, and it has a ‘generic page full of links because someone forgot to renew me’ page.”

Jesus Christ. If you’re going to put a game on sale, you’d think you might check something like that.

44. LewieP says:

I forgot to mention, I’ll not be doing a Bargain Bucket for the next two weeks. I’m going to be at Glasonbury.

• Blackberries says:

@Lewie

You monster! How on Earth am I going to piss more money away on games I won’t play for months if at all? For a fortnight!

• TeeJay says:

I’m now imagining all the wonderful and horrifying things the term “Bargain Bucket” could mean if you saw a sign saying that Glastonbury! :D

45. Dav says:

…of course now I can’t play it because of the DRM. Man, dealing with Microsoft AND Ubisoft makes this deal totally not worth it. GoG, I apologize. Next time I’ll just pay the extra money in return for BEING ABLE TO PLAY THE EFFING GAME. WHICH IS WHAT I THOUGHT I WAS PAYING FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE. Sigh. Capitalism has failed me once again.

• archangelq says:

I know right? And now I don’t want to buy it from GOG, at least yet, just to see if it’ll end up being fixed. If it isn’t in a week or so, well, I’m going to give MS a ring and have them pay me back (almost not worth it over $2.50, honestly, but damnit, the principle!), and then I’ll buy it from GOG.

46. Natus says:

I’ve never played Morrowind, Oblivion or Fallout yet. I think I’ll wait for Fallout to drop lower in price, since I still need to play the first two, but it seems Morrowind is definitely getting more praise on this site, whereas on Qt3 a lot of peeps were wanting to play Oblivion with the popular Jason’s mod. Any thoughts? Get them both? What?