Ooh: Mass Effect 2 Demo, DLC Tomorrow

By Jim Rossignol on June 14th, 2010 at 7:45 pm.

Mass Effect 2 is a game that some people thought was okay. If you haven’t played it – and you might not have done, what with all that stuff you were doing – then it’s a good time to play the demo. Demo? Yes. Here’s what the digital mouth of EA/Bioware say about that “demo”: “In the demo, players step into the role of Commander Shepard and must escape from a Cerberus space station under siege. Players can jump ahead to a later mission where they must rescue Subject Zero, a hardened, dangerous criminal from a heavily guarded prison ship. Once they play the demo, players will be able to create a save and carry over their character along with the experience points, story decisions, achievements and weapons earned into the full version of the game – picking up right where they left off.” It’s right here. It is 1.87gb.

So that’s that. There’s also some new DLC out tomorrow, and that’s called Overlord, and that apparently has “five levels set across one story on one planet”. I’m going to pick it up, and maybe, maybe finish playing through Mass Effect 2. No, really, I’m still on that. What can I say? There’s all this stuff I’ve been doing.

, , , , .

1. Samuel Bigos says:

Oh yes, and it’s going to be on offer next saturday.

• westyfield says:

Dammit! I bought Dragon Age on Friday at full price. Still, this will give me a good opportunity to yell at my friends to buy ME2 ‘conveniently at a reduced price!’

2. Veret says:

It’s a pity Mass Effect is one of those series that juts can’t be properly represented in a demo…too many long-term consequences and intricate plotlines, etc. But still better than nothing, right?

• Zyrxil says:

Uh, no, Mass Effect is a perfect series to be represented in a demo. It’s the scifi RPG equivalent of Call of Duty. Adrenaline, shiny guns, and very well textured aliens. It’s fun to choose the lines you want the character to deliver or sometimes the Renegade interrupt actions you want, but long-term consequences only exist in the form of who dies in the last mission, nothing else.

• Veret says:

I guess different people came away with a different experience. I felt the series was intricate and farsighted enough to be worth posting about here, while you remember a more direct shoot-em-up interspersed with dialog trees. That’s fine. My concern is that people who try the demo for the first time will only see the game you played, not the one I fell in love with.

Was that too cheesy? That was too cheesy. But my point stands.

• Zyrxil says:

Was that too cheesy? That was too cheesy. But my point stands.

I really can’t see it that way, especially when Mass Effect 2 is designed from the bottom up to fit very neatly into small chunks of “Gain Party Member Mission” or “Gain Loyalty Mission” or “Plot Mission”. Perhaps the farsighted-ness will be revealed in Mass Effect 3, but as it is, any long term consequences only existed as a line or two of dialogue or an email that didn’t really affect anything.

• BoxFace says:

I thought it was well put Veret, sums up my thoughts pretty nicely too.

A couple of friends came away from it saying it was pretty good and I couldn’t argue with the few gripes they had, but for me they just didn’t matter that much – I thought it was absolutely brilliant, it’s definitely still my favourite game I’ve played in 2010 so far (for context I’ve been playing – L4D 2, Metro 2033, Dragon Age, APB, Borderlands, JC2, Bioshock 2, BFBC2, CoP etc.)

Anyway, they put a stunning amount of effort into immersing you in the galaxy – with all its planets, characters, histories and technologies – while still pushing you along in the story arc and keeping the gaming action flowing. I really admired that… it managed to take a lot of the elements I enjoy in traditional shooters and CRPGs and mesh them both together very sleekly.

Combat wise I was even prepared for it to be far less than stellar going in… I liked Mass Effect but the action was clumsy and irritating at times. But here they implemented a cover system that worked consistently and didn’t get in the way of what you were trying to do, and ultimately, slamming people off an impossibly high structure with a telekinetic shockwave and lobbing fat boy style nukes at synthetic zombie aliens inside a gigantic inter-galatic cyborg ship is just downright fucking fun, ok? :P

3. Vinraith says:

Odd timing, what’s the logic behind releasing a demo at this late date I wonder? Like Veret, I kind of doubt a demo is going to be able to capture the more appealing elements of the game anyway, I suspect it’ll just come off looking like a fairly standard third person cover shooter.

• Omroth says:

The appeal is that they’ve sold to all the people who will buy it without a demo, and now they’re selling to all the people who won’t.

• Zwebbie says:

If nothing else, the results should be interesting! The developers can now see how influential demos actually are.

• Rikard Peterson says:

I’m thinking about trying the demo, as it’s a game a lot of people I trust say is great, but it’s not in a genre I usually play. I’ve never played an RPG, and I’m terrible at shooters, so I’m not planning on getting it, but maybe the demo will change my mind.

• Dante says:

Perhaps that’s the point Vinraith, because I suspect it will not come off as a standard third person cover shooter, but as a very good one, possibly drawing in a crowd put off by it’s RPG heritage.

• Vinraith says:

@Dante

“Standard” in this case wasn’t meant to be a comment on the quality of ME2′s third person shooter aspects, but rather on the fact that the elements of the game beyond 3PS gameplay would be difficult to highlight in a demo. That it might be good marketing to downplay the RPG elements is a deeply depressing thought.

• malkav11 says:

If Mass Effect 2 were to come off as a very good cover shooter, this would make me very depressed about the state of the cover shooter genre. Bioware simply doesn’t understand the principles of designing fun combat layouts or interesting weaponry or varied enemies or … you know, anything that would make ME2′s shooty bits genuinely interesting rather than a distraction from the parts of the game that are actually good, such as the characters (most of them), the talking, and the way it incorporates your actions in the previous game to a surprisingly thorough (if somewhat shallow) degree. The best I can say for the combat is that it was intermittently amusing to hurl things about with my forc^H^H^H [i]biotic[/i] powers.

4. RiptoR says:

Cool, the new DLC is right on time for my first ME2 playthrough on PC (already finished it twice on my debug 360 for review purposes).

Yesterday I finally finished my second playthrough in the original game with the character I wanted to import in ME2 (I have a couple of chars, but only one with the choices I wanted to import into ME2). Wast just barely able to reach level 60 , I wanted to have the best possible stats to take with that character into ME2.

5. bleeters says:

Figures they’d pick two of the dullest levels available for the demo.

abhishek says:

Which levels does the demo contain? I’ve already finished the game, just curious what they chose.

abhishek says:

Never mind, should have read the article properly :P

• Vinraith says:

@abhishek

Jim just told you.

• Vinraith says:

@abhishek

And now we both wish there was still an edit function. :)

• bleeters says:

“In the demo, players step into the role of Commander Shepard and must escape from a Cerberus space station under siege. Players can jump ahead to a later mission where they must rescue Subject Zero, a hardened, dangerous criminal from a heavily guarded prison ship.”

So, the opening level and the Jack recruitment. Neither of which were especially shining moments in my book, though I suppose the ones which I’d consider as such are riddled with spoilers. Garrus loyalty mission, say.

JB says:

Cool, I always wished they would release a demo so I could check it out.

So, I plan to get some one/both of the Mass Effect games at some point in the near future. In the trusty opinions of my fellow RPS commenters should I play ME first, then get ME2? Or just go straight to ME2?

• Acidburns says:

Play Mass Effect 1 first. ME1 is still very playable, but you’ll find it hard to go back to the 1st one after tasting the refined combat in ME2. Also playing the first one will give the satisfaction of taking your Shepard into the 2nd game, and allow you to appreciate some of the references to characters and quests your undertake in the 2nd game.

• Vinraith says:

Definitely play both, and import your ME1 save game to ME2. Some actions in ME1 do translate to consequences in ME2 (too many of them are just emails, granted, but there are some other interesting things that crop up) and a sense of continuity is a good thing. In addition to that, ME1 is a very good game in its own right, if quite different from its sequel. Unlike a lot of folks, I would put them about on par with each other. Both have strengths, both have flaws.

• bleeters says:

Play Mass Effect first, definately. Whilst the sequel does a good job (or so I imagine) of explaining the events of the first without sitting you down and subjecting you to a long description, there are still various moments which will lose their significance without having played the first game. Character introductions, mostly.

/coughremoveshelmet’what’reyoudoinghere!’cough

Also, if you play ME2 first and then decide to try out the first, you’ll know pretty much everything that happens already.

• Tei says:

ME1 is a epic game. ME2 is a string of hiring missions …is good, but only as preview of ME3

• Choca says:

As usual, Tei speaks the truth.

JB says:

Thanks for the input, RPSers. Much appreciated.

7. aoanla says:

‘sokay, Jim, I’ve not even finished Mass Effect yet. Some time after ME3 comes out, I might actually get around to starting the second one…

8. bitkari says:

If you like the demo, it’s on sale via Steam on Thursday!

9. disperse says:

A demo is a good thing. This way I can test whether the game will run using my laptop’s 98 lb. weakling of a video card.

10. Scandalon says:

Well it’s about time!

11. jonfitt says:

So you can import your save from the PC Demo to the full game that’s interesting.

I still hold out hope that there’s going to be a way for me to get my X360 ME1 save to PC? Now that X360 can accept standard USB sticks for save games, there might be a way?

• Jeeva says:

That’s how I did it.
      It’s been mentioned before (on another thread), but basically it’s a bunch of different saves so that you can pick something that is close to what you had. Or not, if you didn’t like yours. ;)
      As you can change class/appearance etc. when you import to ME2, the only problem is the first name, which you rarely see.

• jonfitt says:

I saw that when ME2 came out. Problem is I have no way of querying my old save to determine which choices I made.
      I only have a vague recollection of some things in ME1, but nevertheless I want all of my old decisions carried over!

12. Tei says:

FUN IDEA: release a demo composed only of the minigames, one that can’t be closed and start with windows in fullscreen mode. Even if you format the hard disk.

13. dingo says:

I didn’t buy ME2 yet because of the DLC.
    I wait for a GOTY edition like Fallout 3 instead of buying it twice (like I had to do with Fallout 3) to get the full deal.

Yup this one disadvantage for companies betting on DLC:
    Collector’s will wait for the complete edition in a retail box.

14. Sidorovich says:

No trailer out yet for the DLC? This has come at an excellent time, what with my evil-space-bitch-second-playthrough. I hope they get round to doing a proper mini-expansion too, like Dragon Age. ME2 eclipses that title by a gazillion light years though….

• bleeters says:

No thanks, Awakening stunk out loud. Possibly a side effect being an expansion pack and thus a lot shorter than the main game, but I found it impossible to really care about what was going on or anyone involved.

15. Flobulon says:

Awesome, thanks for posting that.
    My exams are pretty much over by then… heheh.

16. Justin says:

After playing the demo, I think there’s a line that can be drawn right between this and Star Control 2, in a way. Not that it’s a bad thing.

I’ll have to buy it – I guess this demo idea works.

James G says:

I’m currently playing through the first game again, intending to take my Renegadeish character through to the second game. Will grab all the DLC (certainly the free stuff, perhaps some of the pay stuff) then.

First game is actually better polished than I remember. I’ve already been slightly surprised by how things have played out slightly differently. *** ME 1 SPOILERS *** Despite my intentions to kill all the colonists on Feros, I didn’t in the end, as it just didn’t make sense. Think I caught one in crossfire, but took the rest down by the grenades. However in the end, my Renegade playthrough Feros seemed to fare better than my Paragon playthrough (although I did pick up a lot of unintentional Paragon points on Feros), as the Exogeni coorporation manager backed down, rather than attacking me. I’m assuming it is possible to win out on the Paragon route, but for whatever reason I failed on my first playthrough. (I think the persuade option was greyed out, which surprises me as I pumped points into that option.)