Suited And Shooted: Crysis 2 Footage

By John Walker on June 15th, 2010 at 2:51 am.

Bloody hell, a Crysis 2 screenshot.

Also standing out, primarily for not being for the Kinect, is some footage of Crysis 2. (There’s lots more worthwhile games too, to be fair, which we’ll look at tomorrow.) Which looks pretty damned stunning. It’s apparently going to be a mixture of mission-structured shooter and sandbox. A sort of pick-your-own crazy battle town. There should be more clarity about all this over the next few days. Meanwhile go coo below.

Flipping crikey, another one.

It’s clearly heavily stylised. I’d have preferred some genuine game footage by this point, after a year of spamming us with meaningless glimpses of suits and helicopters.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. The_B says:

There was some gameplay footage during the demonstration before this 3D one. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be on Gametrailers anywhere yet.

• The_B says:

Two hours later, and the in game footage is finally up.

Right here, if you want to embed it or make a new post.

• Samfisher says:

@The_B I really hope that the PC version plays faster than that gameplay video.. Hate how shooters are ruined to accomodate aiming with a gamepad on the consoles. No twitch turns, it’s just all a slow sweep to the left/right…

• MultiVaC says:

Looks incredibly disappointing. If I didn’t know any better, I would have guessed that was a video of a new futuristic Call of Duty game or something. It doesn’t resemble Crysis in the slightest. What happened to huge, open gameplay areas with tons of different ways to approach them? Changing your weapon configuration on the fly? Accommodating super-stealth and guns blazing playstyles, and everything in between? Hell, the only nanosuit function I see being used is the cloak.

It looks like just another super-scripted action game. Oh, well. At least it looks nice.

• Sagan says:

The fighting looks really rather crappy. It doesn’t look like Crysis at all, but rather like a standard shooter. A bad standard shooter. That must have been the most boring mech to fight against ever. He just stands around and waits for you to shoot him or what? And the enemies just seem to rush you.
      Crysis was about having a huge array of possibilities in battle, and then having lots of opportunities to actually use all the abilities and items that you had. Even if they retain the huge amount of possibilities, if the game plays like this, they will have the same problem that Bioshock had, namely that there is no reason to use any of them. Bioshock still was a good shooter despite that, but Crysis 2 doesn’t look very promising…

• Adrian says:

@MultiVaC
      i agree only the look still feels like crysis tho im missing some destructable environments and som sort of hit reaction on that giant robot when hitting it with bazookas!

• DiamondDog says:

@Samfisher I don’t really get this complaint about slow movement, unless I’m missing something. I’ve played the PC version of both MW2 and Bad Company 2, the fact they were also developed to work on a console has no bearing on the speed of movement in the PC version. You just change the mouse sensitivity to whatever you want?

• godwin says:

Wow that is… one bad player, and is that godmode or something? Feels way too forgiving. But the graphics sure are great, loving the interface and the varying vision modes, also the materiality and cohesion of things in the game world.

• SanguineAngel says:

@DiamondDog: Actually, I get exactly what he is saying. Whilst it’s true you can up the sensitivity that doesn’t fix the whole thing. Most modern shooters to me feel like you’re moving through liquid or as if your actions are twice removed or something. I find it a little difficult to describe exactly but I guess it feel a lot less precise, despite the mouse sensitivity.

Frequently, I have found that just turning hardware mouse acceleration off does the trick but increasingly these days there’s no getting round it.

As a side note, the first games I remember really noticing it with were republic commando and brothers in arms, which is why I guess I never really enjoyed those games and thought of them as hideous console ports.

2. ZIGS says:

Yeah. There were some impressive set pieces but the gameplay didn’t feel all that great, although that’s hard to judge without having actually played it

3. sock-eat-sock says:

This trailer is duller than studying for my exam. How am I meant to procrastinate to this????

4. bleeters says:

Good as that was, it’s fairly obviously just footage created to show off 3d tech, rather than any kind of actual demonstration of the game itself. Which is great and all, if completely uninteresting.

On a side note, is anyone else getting windows asking for username and passwords from watching this? It’s very strange.

• Skinlo says:

Yes, I had that as well.

• Evil Timmy says:

It looks like someone screwed up the embed code, and the browser (not Windows) is trying to log into their content backend (hence the cms.whatever address given). No issues with the HD or SD versions on GT’s site, so it’s some kind of authorization screwup on their end, and it’s definitely not malware or anything like that.

• alway says:

Not just this video; it has been doing that for all gametrailers videos the past few days on RPS.

5. skalpadda says:

Not interested in buying your engine Crytek, show me the game!

6. Samfisher says:

Why’s the video asking for a username and password? @_@

7. DarkFenix says:

*Yawn* Most other developers are starting to twig that shinies alone won’t sell a game. I’m not holding my breath until Crytek realise this.

8. Dylan McCall says:

Is it just me or do those guns “feel” shallower even than the usual console shooters?

For God’s sake, a good shooter needs weapons that go BANG, not “pfft.” They need to sound like something more than people chattering on radios, they need to have meaningful amounts of recoil; they need to DO something.

That video seems to focus on 3D graphics stuff to its detriment. The sound was totally not effective in any way, and the music didn’t do much to help its cause (even though it ran through the entire thing).
    Either a bad sign for that game, or it’s a specific tech demo aimed at selling the graphics engine :)

9. fnsmatt says:

After watching the Bulletstorm trailer this looked decidedly meh.

10. HermitUK says:

Really hope the roaming city bit is awesome, cause the ingame footage we did see was rather scripted, looked like every other FPS ever made – Some enemies, use a mounted MG, Bigger enemy crashes through the window, and so on. Even a bit at the end which looked suspiciously like an on rails driving section with you in a gun turret.

The set pieces and scripted bits in the first game were, without exception, the low points. Hopefully that won’t be the same here.

• Clovis says:

I’m not too excited about the sandbox thing. I like sanbbox games, but this just sounds like the sandbox is a huge hub for the story. So, you get to run around a lot inbetween missions doing nothing. That got really tiresome in Prince of Persia.

• Bret says:

On the other hand, it was quite fun in ODST.

11. Thiefsie says:

It didn’t look very 3D to me… I was wearing glasses and everything!

12. Sunjammer says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkVEUOPdtZ4 Ladies and gentlemen! Put on your 3D glasses!

Seriously though. This looks technically proficient but absolutely effing awkward in every other way.

13. Demon Beaver says:

Yeah, you show that police barrier who’s the boss around here!!!

14. robrob says:

Nice to see the Skaarj are still finding work. So with Crytek gone over to the other side, are Valve the only large developer remaining with the PC as their primary platform?

15. Garg says:

How did that helicopter not notice the huge hoard of aliens underneath it about to attack Mr Crysuit at the end there?

16. Ravenger says:

I’m keen to get this, but I’m a little bit concerned with Crytek’s DRM record. Crysis and Warhead still have activation limits – including on Steam a – even though Crysis is over two years old.

I really hope they go with EA’s current policy of a simple disc check, coupled with some DLC incentives to encourage people to buy the game new.

I’d go for a Steam version if there’s no 3rd party DRM, but I reckon it’s unlikely that’ll be the case since they’ve never bothered to patch it out of their previous games.

17. Alexander Norris says:

Seems Crytek finally realised that the way they handled the suit powers in Crysis was a mistake, since they seem to have rolled most of them into one to let you use them more frequently and for longer.

This might end up being interesting.

18. Truth says:

Remember to pirate this, as demos are for pussies and really just a waste of everyone’s time.

19. SiUnit says:

Crytek Crysis 2 crisis meeting –
    1 – “d00dz, how can we make crysis run on consoles?”
    2 – “easy! remove all the trees, water, shaders and polygons”
    1 – “but then its not really crysis 2″
    2 – “the console n00bz will never know!”

20. teo says:

Nah, don’t be that way. They said the change of setting had nothing to do with technical limitations. They’d never lie!

What a shame
    Crysis had great parts and they’re totally ignoring them. The scripted stuff was mediocre at best

21. Mojo says:

What I never get is why developers don’t have a feel for what gamers actually like about their games.

Correct me if I’m not speaking for the mainstream audience here, but hasn’t the best part of Crysis gameplay always been the out-smarting of human opponents by sneaking and physics-throwing? Why do they pick the lamest part (cheesy megatron alien cyber-creatures) and expand upon that instead? I see a lot of potential for Crysis 2. Climb up that skyscraper and snipe from a kilometer away… run into some building and take out half an army by placing a dozen explosive barrels strategically and then blowing the whole shit up in one huge chain reaction… do a 10-meter jump onto the roof of a building on the other side of the street and just shoot through the roof on whatever poor bastard hides below it…

If they really think a giant robot boss battle best demos their game, I’m not really looking forward to where this goes.

• Sunjammer says:

Crytek have never, ever “got” their audience. They’re just doing what they want, which tends to be break perfectly entertaining games with feverdream bullshit.

22. dhex says:

i’ll dissent and say the gameplay trailer looked pretty good and i think it has potential. whether or not it delivers, well, such is life.

23. Starky says:

God, this thread reminds me of a guy who after getting dumped by his smoking hot (but slightly shallow) girlfriend, tells anyone who asks about the breakup “I never liked her anyway, and she’s not as hot as she used to be”…

24. GameOverMan says:

Nanosuit Up! It’s gonna be legen… wait for it… dary! (or not)