More Falling Out? Fallout Online Teaser Site

By Kieron Gillen on June 16th, 2010 at 3:41 pm.

'Wishing You Were Here, You Barbarians' - John Walker

This is getting interesting, at least in the industry-watching way. Despite the last we heard was Bethesda denying that Interplay have been given the okay to progress with the Fallout MMO, a teaser site – including a mailing list and Beta-possibility sign-up – has just launched. The whole site is incredibly slow right now, but it’s all first-person looking at cards before being lobbed on the table, plus retro music. I’d imagine that there’s folks on the internet picking over every element in the image, but I can’t spare the brainpower, as I’m still thinking about urinating to create an improvised flamethrower. And you would be too.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Mudkipz says:

I thankfully managed to sign up before it started getting all slow (about 10mins before it was posted on Kotaku). Although I find it odd that there is no confirmation email and it just redirects you to their forums, oh well, we shall see.

• Bhazor says:

Duke Nukem Forever, Starcraft Ghost, Dreamfall Chapters, Half Life 2 Episode 3, Elite 4, Ninja Gold and Starfox 2. Boy the Phantom has the best launch line-up ever. Can’t wait for the release date.

PS a week ago I would have included the Warhammer 40K MMO, So ‘ey you never know.

• Rich says:

Bit unfair to lump HL2: Ep3 in there. I know we’re all smarting from the Portal 2 on PS3 ‘surprise’ (I know I am), but it’s only actually been three years. Not quite the 13 years for Duke Nukem Forever.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Remember, Rich, that the purpose of episodes was to be able to get the game out much faster.
      It would supposed to be more like tv, than films.
      What sort of show has three years between episodes? :P

• Rich says:

Hey, I’m not saying this isn’t an unreasonable length of time to expect an ‘episode’ in. I’m just saying that likening it to Duke Nukem Forever, which has a development time measurable in ice ages, is perhaps going a bit too far.

2. Bhazor says:

So its supposedly in Beta but with out any screenshots, interviews or even a press release? Also I’ve been on the site and couldn’t actually find a mention of a Beta sign up. Just a “Sign up to recieve exclusive updates” type thing. Which it wouldn’t let me choose a country or date of birth.

Sounds good this, don’t it?

3. Sui says:

They’ve gotta make it by 2011 or they lose the rights, so something tells me this is going to be pretty awful.

I’m just going to play Fallout over and over, and try to pretend that all the NPCs are real people. Yeah!

4. Meat Circus says:

This is a phishing scam.

5. Where to buy p90x says:

Well I’d imagine that there’s folks on the Internet picking over every element in the image

6. Tei says:

I remenber 2009 as the last year of the MMO world.
    It was the year all the MMORPG community realiced the WoW gameplay was the end, and the finnancials, and realities forbid the genre to move forward. So all what was left is re-skined versions of WoW.
    WoW is the Lich King of the MMO world. A Lich is a necromancer soo powerfull, that has conquered dead, converting himself into a zombie,.. creating unnatural life for him, with all the original talents untouched.
    As so, anyone that wants to be the next WoW, has to convert into a Lich itself: die, and become a zombie, a walking dead.

You can’t kill WoW, because you can’t kill what has not life to begin first. All Hail The Lich King!.

7. godwin says:

They could have at least compressed the jpegs at a higher quality setting, right?

8. Corporate Dog says:

I managed to get an EXCLUSIVE preview of the game. And it’s going to be AWESOME.

Check out the opening scene:

FALLOUT ONLINE
    Copyright (c) 2010 Interplay, All Rights Reserved.
    FALLOUT is a registered trademark of Bethesda Softworks.
    Revision 88 / Serial number 840726

West of Vault
    You are standing in an open field west of a Vault, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

> OPEN MAILBOX
    Opening the mailbox reveals a leaflet.

>TAKE LEAFLET
    Taken.

>READ LEAFLET
    “Welcome to Fallout Online!”

This version of Fallout Online is little more than a CYA move to protect the crumbling glory of Interplay. As you play, you should pretend that there are other players to interact with, colorful graphics to look at (isometric OR 3D… your choice!) and a plot that doesn’t involve intelligent, talking Deathclaws.

From all us at Interplay… enjoy! And watch out for those post-apocalyptic Grues, har, har!

> QUIT
    Your score is 0 (total of 350 points), in 4 moves.
    This gives you the rank of Prolific NMA Bitch Artist.
    Do you wish to leave the game? (Y is affirmative): > Y

• dadioflex says:

That’s pretty funny!

I had a sudden vision of them selling the game with a blindfold you have to wear and a warning that removing the blindfold may cause the graphics to degrade.

But hey, FO:Tactics was okay. Deathclaws were mutants, maybe some mutated vocal chords.

9. Gaytard Fondue says:

Bitching in the name of Brother None. Hooray!

10. blainestereo says:

“What is your favorite Fallout game (FROM INTERPLAY)?”

Hilarious.

• Heliocentric says:

I didn’t finish it, but i really enjoyed fallout tactics.

• Vinraith says:

@Heliocentric

I always thought FOT got a bad rap, I quite enjoyed it as well. To look at internet fora, though, you’d think you and I were the only ones.

• Heliocentric says:

I never played jagged alliance 2 but i think that stole the luster of FOT. The multiplayer let you spend points on various classes, some cheaper than others, the cheapest was an cow. It served well as a scout/meatshield though.

Bloody hate super mutants.

• Stromko says:

Fallout Tactics was entirely linear and lacked any dialogue, so fans of Fallout were disappointed that it offered only a whiff of the previous games. Taken on its own, as a tactical game with an interesting advancement and real-time combat system, it was actually kinda good.

Some backlash is entirely appropriate when a game looks like a continuance of a franchise, but really isn’t. Though in that case, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel should have led to rioting in the streets if it had been given the same relative backlash as Fallout: Tactics.

11. Krimson says:

The most interesting bit is the message carved into the table that says ‘THE MASTER LIVES.’

It would be cool if after getting to grips with the game, you choose whether or not your charecter is exposed to the FEV, thereby determining your ‘intial’ faction of Human vs Supermutant. (Secondary factions being people like the raiders for humans, or ghouls for FEV victims.)

Anyway, I hope this isn’t just a cash in, and that the ‘quests’ will consist of more than just bringing ten radscorpion stingers to Razlo over and over again.

12. ugg bailey button triplet says:

This is the failure. precious failure.