G4 Shouts Joyfully At Rage: New Footage

By John Walker on June 17th, 2010 at 10:11 am.

Brown?

My wish is their command. And my wish was for new Rage footage. G4 has obliged, with two videos of footage and gibbage.

Rather awkwardly I forgot not to wish for men shouting with crazed enthusiasm about rocks. It’s perhaps the most enthusiastic interview of all time – SHIT YEAH WOW MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE LORD – but the point is you get to see the game running, inflatable gorillas, and men’s heads exploding.

This is very much about the 360 performance, but of course idTech5 is going to work far better on PC than the 360. Whereas it’s squeezing every last drip out of the console, powerful PCs will be able to breeze through it.

, , , .

1. Turin Turambar says:

Well

Great graphics
    Very smooth framerate
    Good animations, it does have a dynamic feeling
    Nice art style, nothing original, but still somewhat distinctive
    Fast paced intense combat, fuck yeah! id hasn’t dumbed down their style for consoles. Weapons kill fast, no cover system, wingstick is also cool.
    interesting engineering system (you take loot and build turrets, rc cars, door breaker, alternative ammo, etc)

Looks already somewhat polished, and they have one more year until release.

2. Turin Turambar says:

Another video (from the same part of the game)

3. Spatula says:

its very brown and corridor-y

4. Jacques says:

Looks like a less stylised version of Borderlands with guns that aren’t as fun.

• P7uen says:

I have to agree. I have to!

• SanguineAngel says:

I dunno chaps. I mean, yes it’s hell’a brown. BUT although it’s more typical visually there’s something about the animation style and the character design that seems a little more styalised than you are giving it credit for.

Guns didn’t blow me away now that you mention it but they didn’t look terrible.

I am still optimistic

• Jacques says:

I’m not saying the game looks bad.

The enemies have a certain style to them, and there are the other clans we’ve yet to see as well, but they look no more stylised than those of Borderlands.

I’m not holding my breath, mostly because this isn’t really the sort of game that I enjoy.

It does look awfully pretty though.

5. SanguineAngel says:

I’m going to say it…. I liked pretty much everything about those videos.

The only thing I was less impressed by was the driving itself – seemed very arcadey but having said that, it’s an FPS so it’s not really surprising.

Graphics are really very good! I like the amount of little detail – like the first thing that jumps out at me is the guy talking in the first vid, with his aviator cap moving around in apparantly appropriate fashion. Most impressed how it runs on the 360, looking forward to running it on a real machine.

6. Okami says:

“The editor will ship with the game.”

• Starky says:

Did you see the tech Demo for the tools they did like a year ago (it was on RPS)?

My god the tools look amazing – polished, user friendly – A near complete development suite.
      I’ll buy the game just to play with their texturing tools alone…

So sexy.

7. P7uen says:

Can you wish for the interviewer to speak more quickly next time? I didn’t know if he was asking questions or commentating on the driving sections in a horse racing style.

8. Javier-de-Ass says:

looks perfect

9. CMaster says:

It looks surprisingly Borderlandsy, not that that is necessarily a bad thing. I have to say I wasn’t very impressed by the AI though, despite their hype over it. I don’t think it will be as good for coop as Borderlands though – that level they showed is full of narrow corridors.

Full mod support is great news though. I can only hope this will be the first id game I actually enjoy since Keen 6.

Lars Westergren says:

The people speaking sounded a little too much like wrestling announcers for my taste…
    “Woow, MASSIVE EXPLOSION! And we just took someones head off, ha ha ha.”

I’m sure the game will be fun though.

lhzr says:

the g4 videos don’t work anymore (neither here, nor on their site)

12. Spd from Russia says:

yeah not working (
    I found one on u2b tho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0RtabEah4

13. Angel Dust says:

It looks pretty derivative and I cringe a little whenever id talk up some ‘innovation’ in their games because it’s always something that the rest of the industry has been doing for years but you know what? It looks absolutely gorgeous and like it should be a lot of fun. I like my original and forward thinking games but I also have no problem with something more ‘old-school’ when it’s this well executed. I can’t wait!

14. Meat Circus says:

Hmmm. That looks brown and corridory.

Maybe it’s time ID came to terms with the fact they’re good at engines and not much else?

• Deuteronomy says:

I’ve never played an id game I didn’t enjoy the hell out of.

• RedFred says:

It would be a dis-service to yourself and the entire RPS crew if you didn’t play the HELL out of this game.

15. tome says:

Absolutely ridiculous interview. Just in the first minute, a remote-controlled car blows up a group of enemies – in no way a new concept to futuristic shooters – and the one of the G4TV men literally shouts “WHAUH-HO!”.

What?

16. Schmung says:

The game looks properly splendid. The amount of texture detail stuffed onto to everything is spectacular. Can’t say that the gameplay itself looks too exciting though.

17. Xercies says:

Hmm looks like a corridor shooter…not going to far are you ID?

Anyway it does look quite good I have to say and to be honest with all the COD clones i wouldn’t mind going back to the purer fun of a corridor shooter. I just cringed everytime the announcers were like “so Cool” and “whoooah” at some of the deaths and that.

Sagan says:

I’m a little disappointed in those videos. (those linked in the comments. the videos in the article don’t work for me either) Grey corridors are always boring, no matter how detailed the grey textures are. The outdoor stuff looks good though.

The fighting also looks fairly bad, probably mostly because in neither demonstration video the guy playing played particularly well.

19. Vivian says:

Looks lovely, the outdoor parts seem to also be giant corridors however? The post-apocalyptic mindset has an alarmingly consistent gravitation to canyons.

20. Bowlby says:

Looks fun but nothing revolutionary. In other words, exactly what I expected from iD. It is great to see such fast combat, as well. I’m getting a bit fed up of the Halo/MW2-style of “hide behind cover, wait for health/shields to recover, pop out” gameplay. I just want to run around like a maniac, real sloppy like, shooting dudes in the face at point blank range.

21. Mistabashi says:

The combat actually looks pretty good, weapons were nice and meaty and landing shots looked pretty satisfying. It’s quite comical hearing them talk about “revolutionizing the FPS” then showing you a vehicle section, some sewers, a crossbow that shoots electric bolts and a crafting system that involves finding blueprints and combining bits of junk you find around the world…

Still, looks like it could be fun, if only in short bursts. And visually it does look pretty nice, even though it’s a bit ‘brown’ they’ve managed to sneak some bits of colour here and there, and the texturing, animations and weapon designs all look great (if a tad unoriginal). It’ll be interesting to see how open the outdoor bits really are, the video I watched didn’t really show a lot of obvious freedom.

22. KingCathcart says:

id software!
    I’ve been pronouncing it ‘eye dee’ software.

Why did nobody tell me!

• Mojo says:

It actually refers to the Freudian term of “id”, the part of your conscience responsible for primeval instincts… like rage.

• The Innocent says:

That’s how I’ve been pronouncing it too!

23. teo says:

I thought the sounds were pretty weak and the character animations were.. unappealing

24. Muzman says:

Dear journalists. After a certain number of E3 demos and marketing spots at what point have you heard the phrase “One of the great things about…” so often you want to stab someone’s eyes out?
    Sometime on day one?

25. Mojo says:

It looks like a new game in the style of Bioshock… that isn’t a Bioshock sequel. Which is fine to me.

We need less CoD clones and more Bioshock clones. Valve got the true innovation covered for FPS games with Portal 2.RyBK

• Deuteronomy says:

Rage doesn’t look anywhere near as pretentious though.

• SanguineAngel says:

I would like to propose that what we truely need is less clones altogether!

26. terry says:

I could almost feel my brain shrinking as I watched that interview, and I sat through the Konami conference with only mild trauma. Game looks alright though.

27. Anonymous says:

I had to disable adblock before it worked for me.

28. Starky says:

This game looks great fun… I just don’t get some of you guys.

Not every game needs to be innovative, id make good to great FPS corridor shooters, so what is wrong with that?

That and the tech (and tools – which PC users will get) looks amazing, id clearly are trying to challenge the unreal engine as the go to guys for a prebuilt engine.

That and if it looks that good on a 360, it will look bloody awesome on a PC.

Sometimes a good, solid workmanlike shooter with very pretty graphics just hits the spot. Like a cold lager on a hot day.

29. Kevbo says:

Great to hear about the tool set for the PC. More MODs are never a bad thing in my mind :)
    I’ll agree that it did seem like even the outdoors were just canyon corridors but I also don’t mind a good fast action romp from time to time. So I’ll keep my eye on this game and probably grab it once I hear about some good MODs for it!

30. Frye says:

Are they TRYING to make the game lose all it’s appeal? I can’t ever get used to the anglo-saxon way of selling / promoting stuff. How can you fake being excited without diminishing yourself AND your audience?

2nd vid ” We hate dying in video games. We hate to be frustrated.”

Right…me too! Then shut up!

Pretty looking graphics though, especially landscape in the distance.

31. Idle Threats & Bad Poetry says:

Graphics look great. The first video looked exciting, though I can’t say I’m excited about the dune buggy. That’s a LOT like Half-Life 2. The second video looked boring. I think I’ve lost my taste for corridor shooters. But, to be honest, I’m not excited about (unannounced) HL2: Episode 3, either.

Johnny Go-Time says:

I for one welcome our new Borderlands DLC!

33. K says:

Gaphics: Very impressive, especially on 360 hardware.

Anything else: Meh.

I am particularly unimpressed by what the announcers describe as “unique” or “innovative”, “personality” and “unusual”. I have yet to see anything that wasn’t invented last millennium. And some other colour except brown would really not hurt. Also, note the interface made for consoles and how the enemies are just standing there so anyone without decent aim (aka: not using a mouse) has a chance of hitting them. “It is not procedurally generated, but handpainted!!!” is not a seller to me. It just means that this game cost more to produce, without me gaining better gameplay from it, but instead I am supposed to admire the rocks. I’d rather have somewhat repeating textures and that elusive thing called CONTENT instead. You know, like Deus Ex for example?

I will buy borderlands for 10$ when rage ships I suppose.

34. warth0g says:

Is it just me that’s bored beyond belief by the post apocalyptic thing? We’ve already had FO3 and Borderlands and they each of them proved that, by definition, the post-apocalyptic thing gets very dull, very quickly – why do we need another game that uses the same setting?

The tech looks great and the combat looks fun – I just wish they’d had a bit more ambition and tried a more interesting environment. Xcom and Mafia 2 are insta-buys for me due to the settings alone…

• Tei says:

“why do we need another game that uses the same setting?”

It takes something like 5 years to make a game. So is imposible to know, in advance, what will be popular or underused. Maybe in 5 years everyone will be bored of vampires, and want more space wherewolfs. As that, you have to concentrate to make the best game possible. Moving the target is the worst thing you can do in software,so once things are in motion, is progressivelly more expensive to change things.

35. Dhatz says:

given the development put it it is really lame that hands are that lowsy shaded and I bet you ain’t have legs or voiceacting. another gaming fail made just to promote texture-based advancement. even the car tracks are total bullshit.