Ace!: Ace Team Announce Rock Of Ages

By Jim Rossignol on June 18th, 2010 at 3:16 pm.

Also looking awesome this week: the next game from the Chilean team who gave us weirdo biff ‘em up Zeno Clash. It’s called Rock Of Ages and it appears to be a mixture of strategy game and, er, bowling? Two opposing castles attempt to crush each other in surrealistic rock-rolling warfare with defences constructed turn by turn to defend against the heinous stone attack. If that wasn’t enough, Ace Team explain: “your boulder will crash through different periods of classical art, introducing the player to a variety of authentic art styles and music from throughout much of human history.” Response from RPS Hivemind? “Oh Wow.” “VIDEOGAMES! VIDEOGAMES!” “Yay!” Yeah, that’s the stuff. It’s out next year via digi download outlets.

And you are going to want to watch this particular trailer…

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Nick says:

Pure, unadulterated win.

2. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Soilid!
    Even thou the “next year” part made me sad….darn

3. ulix says:

Pretty cool

Does anyone remember this gamecube game that was a mix of flipper and strategy? Where you would have to flipper armies away before they reached you (or something)?

Awesome concept.

Sagan says:

Yep, it was called Odama. Basically you had to win a war while playing pinball on the battlefield with a giant boulder that could easily wipe out your entire army. That game didn’t do very well because it could be too much to do at a time, but once you figured it out it was pretty awesome.

• Daniel Rivas says:

You had to use the microphone too, if I remember correctly.

4. Meat Circus says:

This succeeds at GAME.

5. Big X says:

looks quite like the IGF student entry Igneous, but far nicer and deeper.

6. Alex Bakke says:

I won’t lie, my jaw dropped when I saw the trailer.

I even had ‘They can’t do that!’ thoughts.

Tom-INH says:

No Boulder’s Gate headline? Hang your head in shame, Jim.

8. Alec Meer says:

This is the best thing I’ve seen from E3.

9. Kieron Gillen says:

The Chileans are coming!

KG

10. Greg Wild says:

Ye gods bless us truly. Our feeble minds can only begin to imagine how awesome this is going to be.

11. sfury says:

BOOM! SMASH!! YES!!!

I didn’t buy Zeno Clash, but I’m ridiculously excited by what I just saw. Looks like an insta-buy for me, even though I’ve only seen a short trailer. :]

Ohboyohboyohboy!

• Baboonanza says:

I didn’t think I’d like Zeno Clash, but when I finally played it I loved it. So imaginative.

12. matte_k says:

The flat soldiers made me think of Monty Python a lot, and that’s a good thing. Looking forward to this!

13. Baboonanza says:

I’m bowled over!

Roll-on Spring 2011!

Norskov says:

That looks wonderful. I truly hope they make an early pre-order beta a la World of Goo. Any news on Zeno Clash 2?

15. Mr_Day says:

I look forward to a level inspired by Escher.

“Take that! Or…hmm. Wait. Is that…er…is it heading to you or me?”

16. laikapants says:

Sha-mazing. If only I didn’t have to wait till 2011 to fling smiley boulders at other people.

James G says:

Want! (Yeah, so the visuals sold me. What can I say, I’m an art-design whore)

Zeno Clash never fully clicked with me, purely down to not being a huge fan of the genre, but this looks interesting. First thoughts are tower defence meets marble run, but I admit that I haven’t got a strong handle on how it will play.

Fede says:

Cool. I fear it might get boring, but it’s such an awesome idea… it cannot go wrong. :D

19. Sunjumper says:

Playing pinball by shouting commands to control your hapless troops.

It was also great fun when played as an inpromptu multi-player game.
    Especially as you could use the bongo controler to rally your troops, which lead to one player with the bongos and microphone and the other on the pinball controlls.

That said I am looking forward to Rock of Ages. The world needs more ACE-Team wierdness!

• Sunjumper says:

The above comment was an answer to ulix’s question. It looks that I fail again at answering correctly.

• Polysynchronicity says:

The very concept of a pinball game that you can play with bongos and microphone is amazing in so many ways

20. alseT says:

Anyone else noticing an increase of prospective strategy games ever since the Xcom FPS thing? It’s like the gaming world balancing itself.

Other than that: more stuff from ACE team YAY!!!

AndrewC says:

Game development as giant karmic seesaw with alseT as its pivot. Look into this RPS, it might provide valuable insight.

solipsistnation says:

Ha ha ha what?

Oh man. Looking forward to it now!

22. Bowlby says:

“Destroy enemy armies and castles with a giant boulder”

Sold.

Hodge says:

This trailer puts the dance in my pants. Best of E3, indeed.

24. The Hammer says:

NEED

25. Urthman says:

“Destroy enemy armies and castles with a giant boulder”

This would be an instant-win idea just by itself, but then they had to go and use that super-duper-hilarious-awesome art style.

26. mandrill says:

A finer homage to the Terry Gilliam Animations from Python I have never seen. Awesomeness abounds.

• Alexander Norris says:

Yeah, that medieval part shown through most of the trailer was basically Monty Python’s Holy Grail: the Game.

Still not interested, but at least I smiled.

27. fishyjoes says:

I was hoping for some Dalí stuff. Escher sounds cool. Maybe in the expansion?

Gabbo says:

What is in Chile’s water supply and how can I get a hold of some of it?
    That goofy trailer sold me.

29. Yargh says:

If there is any justice in the world it will sell millions

30. Jimmy says:

Epic. Looks fabulous. Looking forward to hearing more in 2011 (when I’ll be too damn busy).
    Love the artwork.

31. Clovis says:

Wow, that looked very cool, but some kinda’ boring but pretty RTS …

And then the bolder.

32. Thants says:

Bless your hearts ACE Team, you magnificent weirdos.

33. Horatius says:

ACE Team is seriously one of the most exciting things in the game scene recently. There’s an energy and imagination with their work that reminds me of the best of the Amiga and DOS PC days.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

34. Pandaemonius says:

Definitely DLC/expansion/sequel material for this in moving to more modern art styles (if they aren’t doing it already and just not telling). Impressionist landscapes, Cubist units, Surreal buildings. Hell, even abstract for a complete change of scenery! I think I’m even more excited by these prospects than what we’ve seen already…

35. lethu says:

W00t, our own Katamari Damacy for our lovely PC’s!! err.. wait! How come nobody seemed to bring Katamari after seeing this ??

• Tei says:

Re: Katamari Damazi

The Wonderful End of the World, on Steam. It has some very interesting ideas, but is a “dirty” version of Katamari. Is not as solid or fun, but a good “Kamari-ish” game.

• sfury says:

I think Dejobaan’s (another insane team) The Wonderful End of the World – http://www.dejobaan.com/wonderful/index.htm – is something similar, though I’ve only played a demo and watched a video or two about Katamari

edit: Tei was faster than me, but I’ve supplied a link :P

• lethu says:

Oh thanks for the info, I think I have already heard about “The Wonderful End of the World”, might have even seen it in RPS, I must have lacked time to check that… Time and motivation, I have played only a few indie games to be honest (at the risk of being boooh’ed), but that’s not because I don’t like the genre or don’t want to support it, it’s rather that I am used to heavier games, I usually don’t play to spend minutes on a game, but rather hours, and a game has to be really attracting, concept and execution wise to deserve my free time.

Anyway, seems like Rock of Ages promises to be a great experience, I will be waiting more info on this impatiently.
      I am counting on you, Boulder Paper Shotgun !!

36. wyrmsine says:

Yeah, this gets instant purchase.

37. Adamos says:

Do want. Amazing

38. Tei says:

Goya is from my region (Aragon) so this is hiting near home :-)
    Goya was scary awesome and punk. Even for today standards. Is a painter that use enormeous brush to draw faces and figures. If you zoom on the faces, you hardly see anything. He was not painting on the canvas, but on the resulting image on your eye. A genius, but not my favorite painter.
    Also, the themes of Goya are fun, the war against the evil frenchs (los desastres de la guerra), the people of Zaragoza and Madril. In a way, he was more a war reporter, than a kings painter.

• sfury says:

Interesting topic.

Seeing that you know so much about the guy and you’re Spanish – a question – there’s a film with Javier Bardem called “Goya’s Ghosts” – any idea if it is good? Or some good (english/subbed) documentary?

• Tei says:

Sorry. I have two rules on life: I don’t kiss people with beards bigger than mine, and I don’t watch spanish movies. So.. here. But you probably can read about it in Rottern Tomattoes or any other decent critic site. My trick to pick good (or fun) movie critics is google “subtext {title of the movie}”. If a critic is talking about the subtext of a movie, bets are the review will be a fun read. Even if the movie is Transformers 2.
      Google knows it all.

• Tei says:

Postdata:
      As you can see, my system as never failed.

• Alec Meer says:

“I have two rules on life: I don’t kiss people with beards bigger than mine, and I don’t watch spanish movies” is the best thing that has ever been written anywhere on this website.

• Huggster says:

Tei, would you kiss me? I have just a bit of stubble.

• yogSo says:

I love how that Transformers 2 review Tei linked to is the yang to this ying: The most expensive art movie ever.

• sfury says:

Tei always says amazing things, but that is by far the best! :)

@Tei – it’s actually a Milos Forman film and is a co-production between US and Spain so you might give it a half-chance. Also no bearded men in the screenshots I saw – you’ll be safe. ;)

That review…

“If movies have a nadir, then this is it. Bay has dug himself into the anus of cinema and found a home.”

Nice way of putting it. :) Good thing I fell asleep 2 times during the first 30 mins of Transformers 1 and decided I’ll never watch the damn thing or its sequels.

• Web Cole says:

Tei, you freakin’ rock XD

• Muzman says:

As much as I plan on adding this rule-to-live-by to my collection (right alongside “Try everything once. Except incest and folk dancing”.) I did rather enjoy Intacto, [Rec], The Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labrynth, Open Your Eyes, Almodovar’s stuff etc

39. pilouuuu says:

Amazing! It makes me proud to be chilean. :-D It’s great to see innovation in gaming and even better to see it coming from my very own country. Damn all those fools that say that games are not art!

40. Nick says:

Art are games.

41. Huggster says:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ….
    Games like this are just like foreign movies.
    So different and refreshing compared to “Hollywood Blockbuster” type games (eg. MW2).
    And, as a rule, more memorable and they stay with you.
    Always had time for weird French games and now things like this … just perfect.
    And the new Rayman looks better than Mario Galaxy – I looks simply unbelievable!.

42. bananarama says:

Are they still using Source? Looks sort of like the Unreal engine to me.

43. Kevbo says:

So odd that its gotta be fun for at least a bit. I loved the sun/skybox in the background and the classical music.

44. HarbourMaster says:

What impresses me is that ACE are creating something a very different game to follow on from Zeno Clash. It’s not, like off the top of my head, Trine begets Trine 2.

• Web Cole says:

Indeed! Creative types who can and do try there hand at more than one genre always impress me greatly! :)

45. terry says:

Marble Madness : Medieval. This game looks splendid.

46. Wedge says:

Wow, I was wondering what in the world was when I saw that title listed on Atlus’ games. Interesting it seems like they’re sticking with them as a publisher past the Zeno Clash XBLA deal too. I do like how Atlus has been branching out past Japan.

47. Jahkaivah says:

@Big X

Igneous was a high speed game which actually let you jump off the flying debris produced by the precedual explosions in the terrain. This game probably wont reach that level of intensity.

48. Idle Threats & Bad Poetry says:

The name of the ostensibly a pun off the name of a Christian hymn, wherein God is called the Rock of the Ages. I think the developer was just trying to name the game something memorable, but this could really offend some people. I’m a believer, and I wouldn’t buy the game even if I really liked it. They could have done better with the name.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

That sounds a bit like an… idle threat.

Also it’s probably named after the Def Leppard song, so chill out, dude.

tomeoftom says:

Couldn’t God theoretically be called anything in a hymn? I mean, a human wrote the hymn, and gave him that title.

• Dinger says:

Dude, first rule of artistic creation: you can’t please fundamentalist nutcakes. We’re talking about a videogame in which the player has a God’s-eye-view of the scene and can spontaneously create beings, some of which, we presume, are notionally endowed with reason. If you’re irritated that the name given to the game is also the title of an eighteenth-century Anglican hymn expressing a metaphorical relation between Humans and God, then you are A) likely to be horrified by the larger blasphemies in the game design and B) missing the multilayered cultural resonance that the title bears. It’s a pun, but likely also a commentary on the convergence of game design, artistic impulses and religious drives in European (aka “Western”) culture from the late middle ages to the twenty-first century.

The only question is: will ACE Team be the next Borges or Ducasse?

• TotalBiscuit says: