Do-Tron Tron Tron, Do-Tron Tron: Evolution

By Kieron Gillen on June 18th, 2010 at 5:05 pm.

Bikes of Light, Yesterday. Sorry: I've used up all my inspiration on the subject line.

You may wonder why we haven’t written anything about Tron: Evolution yet, considering it was announced late last year. Why, because we’re incredibly lazy, of course. Like, obv. But the sudden onrushing on E3-malarkies have raised me from my lethargy. The full game’s out by Christmas, apparently. It’s about living programs in a OHYOUALLKNOWWHATTRONIS! Anyway, the trailer follows, plus 3 enormous videos courtesy of the Ant to our Grasshopper, Gametrailers…

Prologue: the trailer

Part I: Wherein some stuff happens.

Part II: Wherein some discs get lobbed around.

Part III: Wherein there’s some lightbikes.

Part IV: Wherein we thank Gametrailers.
Thanks, Gametrailers!

Does this look exciting? I think it may look exciting. I’m not sure. I’m still over excited by Rock Of Ages.

, .

lhzr says:

yeah, it looks exciting, but it prolly won’t be as exciting as this: http://www.gltron.org

2. redrain85 says:

Nope, not exciting when compared to Tron 2.0.

3. Ravenger says:

I recently replayed Tron 2.0 with the KillerApp mod. Still an excellent game which really nails the Tron atmosphere.

This new game has the looks, but I’m not sure the gameplay will live up to the original.

Still I’m excited about the film – I’ve already got my Encom ID badge and Space Paranoids pin courtesy of the Flynn Lives site.

• redrain85 says:

[shamelessplug]BTW, the KA Mod adds widescreen support to Tron 2.0 among other things.[/shamelessplug] :)

• Ravenger says:

The widescreen support was the main reason I installed the KillerApp mod. It’s really well done. Great mod for a great game.

4. westyfield says:

I love how surprised the rating announcer sounds.

PEGI 12? Really? I mean, really?

• Grunt says:

If I’m not mistaken the announcer is none other than Bruce “I’m motherf*cking Tron, yo” Boxleitner himself. :)

• Grunt says:

If I’m not mistaken the announcer is none other than Bruce “Greetings Program” Boxleitner himself. :)

• Grunt says:

Hmm, the evolution of a non-wit. Thanks, Captcha cookie error message.

5. deadsexy says:

looks ok, I guess. I was hoping Tron 2.0 multiplayer would come back. It remains one of my favorite multiplayer game. If there’s anybody out there who would fancy a round of Tron 2.0 MP, we could probably organize something over Steam. There were still some servers up and running last time I checked.

6. ZamFear says:

All of that wall-running, vaulting, acrobatic nonsense… For me, this will end up being little more than a falling-to-your-death simulator.

So no, not excited :(

7. Juice says:

I’ve never understood the gaming community’s fascination with Tron…
    It’s like claiming Osmosis Jones was a good movie.

• IvanHoeHo says:

I must agree. I watched the thing late last year and the acting, plot, and direction are all pretty poor.

Great game, though, that Tron 2.0.

AndrewC says:

‘Tron City’ made me giggle.

Anyway the game looks lovely, but the gameplay looks awful. The running about bits have the feel of PS1 games with their basic controls, stiff movement, and slightly unhelpful camera, and the racing bit had no gameplay! It involved swerving a bit every 5 seconds ago!

Early code? Quickly knocked up proof-of-concept levels? Probably, but it still whiffs.

Looks lovely though.

9. Dominic White says:

There is something seriously wrong about that roll-on-landing animation. Most notably that the player doesn’t move at all while doing it.

I’m chalking that up to early code here, but if they can’t even get their basic run-jump-land cycle working right for an E3 demo, I really don’t have high hopes.

• sfury says:

yeah, really clumsy

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

clunk

• Conlaen says:

Glad I’m not the only one annoyed by that. The movements just looked very forced in general really, but the roll on landing was what got me to pay attention to it.

10. Nick says:

Well, the Lightbike bit looks terrible, not sure about the rest.

11. sfury says:

So much style, so little substance. (at least in those trailers) :(

And the style is probably coming from the movie. Which I’m more excited for, though I don’t know almost anything about it.

Al that makes me is finish Tron 2.0 which was way more exciting game but my PC wasn’t up to it back then and I had to leave it when it became too laggy in the later stages.

12. DrazharLn says:

I liked the first trailer. The second and third gave me visions of an environment reminiscent of the citadel, just a big future city all in grey and blue and what looks like horrible gameplay.

Not excited. But then again, I’d probably hate TRON if I watched it now as well.

13. Moonracer says:

I’m not into the look or gameplay ( though I do generally enjoy jumping off walls while fighting). Hopefully you can regain life by drinking digi-liquid with your glow in the dark frisbee.

14. elmuerte says:

This looks like absolute shit. It doesn’t capture the feel of Tron at all. Not even the music is tron-like. The world is way too organic. The colors are dull, where is the neon effect Tron is known for?!

• Hidden_7 says:

Blame the art direction of the movie. I think it will probably be a fun time, but people totally missed the point with the new designs. People look like they are wearing leather outfits that have some lights on them. In one of the trailers a lady was reclining on a couch. Seemed to miss the point that the world is supposed to be somewhat alien. “Furniture” is crafted out of the environment. People aren’t wearing suits that they can take off, it’s their skin (that’s why the exposed shoulders are so stupid), the material of the outfits should be more metallic than leather, the light effects aren’t just neat neon highlights, they are supposed to evoke circuit boards. If anything there should be MORE lights on people now in the future, rather than less; their looks aren’t designed, they aren’t following current minimalist fashion, that’s what they look like.

This is all stuff that Tron 2.0 got really well, that Tron Legacy does not seem to understand.

• Grunt says:

Having watched the trailers – my first good look at the movie’s design aesthetic since the very first trailer – I’m slightly worried they’ve missed the point of what the world of Tron actually IS. All I saw there was a very pretty future city, in a mold very reminiscent of places we on Earth would – and do – create. That highway for instance, design-wise looked like any American freeway, just transparent, lit up neon and with a few more branching turns. That room he was fighting in? An office??

Also, why is everything black and blue? Where are the colours? Even when the original film’s world was being starved of energy by the MCP, you still got some outrageous reds, oranges, yellows….this looks SO drab by comparison. Tron 2.0 looks positively carnival!

I have no problem with the character’s matrix-esque agility: that actually looks kind of fun, as long as the player isn’t restricted by the control scheme so can experiment with their own styles of play.

But overall…I’m just not sure this film is going to be a continuation of everything the original film was, a bold experiment in a new digital realm. This looks like it’s just trying to tell the next part of the story.

drewski says:

Tron 2.0 was pretty good. I had no idea what Tron was, but I still enjoyed it.

16. Max says:

Looks like it plays like Prince of Persia.

17. Elusiv3Pastry says:

Wow, that’s underwhelming. I really really wanted this to be awesome, but I figured it would just be another typical rushed game who’s only existence is to serve as a marketing tool for an upcoming movie…..and it is.

Lame. Guess I’ll load Tron 2.0 again.

18. jsdn says:

Looks like every action adventure game I’ve played in the past five years. Even though it looks Tron, it doesn’t feel Tron and invokes much yawning.

19. raskolnik says:

Thank goodness I’m not the only one who noticed that.

See also: the fact that the character is “chasing” someone in the first video, and bumps into her at least twice, but then she gets away. WAT?

I’m hoping it’s just a matter of early code, but still.

20. LionsPhil says:

I’d thank GameTrailers more if their damn embedded player wasn’t one of the most broken Flash video things on the planet. In the rare occasion I can get it to start playing, the video is too big for the area and clipped, and none of the controls work, such as “fullscreen” or “oh god, stop already”.

21. Adrian says:

Can i be honest? I have been waiting for a new tron game literaly every day since i played tron 2.0 i loved that game so much!

I hope this will be good!

• Adrian says:

I got so excited about this i posted my last post before watching the videos. This looks just bad! i guess ill just replay tron 2.0 again

22. Craig Stern says:

Is it just me, or is that President Obama talking 3/4ths of the way through Part II?

23. Bib Fortuna says:

I do not like the new “monochromatic” style of the new Tron. I think the apex of the Tron visuals was reached by the Tron 2.0 game. Where are the surrealistic scenarios of the original style? Where is the idea of a “computer environment”?

I expected a push forward the same direction of the old Tron, to have a surrealistic computer inspired style. E.g. breath-taking procedural generated panoramas, vertigo-inducing buildings with impossible heights, intelligent swarm of particles and drones that move through walls, etc…

What I see is just a very realistic and prosaic environment made of cities, roads, office rooms, with no peculiarity.

Also in terms of gameplay this Tron Evolution leave me very cold. I was bored of this kind of prince of persia gameplay. Tron 2.0 was much, much better.