Intel Level Up 2010: Shiny Judges!

By Jim Rossignol on June 21st, 2010 at 5:55 pm.

I somehow missed the announcement of this, but Intel’s great big Level Up 2010 Game Demo Challenge – which is dripping with tasty prizes through a bunch of categories, for both students and you mature developer types – has announced the line up of judges. They are Chris Avellone, Vic Davis (yay!), Todd Hollenshead, Todd Howard, Rod Humble, Raph Koster, Rick Raymo, Bill Roper, Tim Schafer, Adam Sessler, and Jeff Vogel. A handsome and talented crowd, I think you will agree. And… I’ve just noticed today is the last day to submit stuff. Got a concept? Get over there!

1. Metalfish says:

/Only slightly on topic.

Doesn’t every person who plays games have “a great idea for a game” that either a) already exists or b) would be absurdly difficult to create.

Erm, I don’t know. The “Sims meets tetris”?

• Jim Rossignol says:

Well there’s some degree of need to be able to execute the idea involved here.

But I don’t think it’s true that there’s any shortage of potential invention within games. It’s just easier to a) imagine and b) make things that already exist.

• Metalfish says:

Aye, I was sorta alluding to the standard developer moan about people not understanding that getting ideas into something tangible is the hard bit.

It must be pretty horrible to have plenty of off the wall ideas and then be told to make modern gunfighter 12, when you really want to make something that’s a bit like harvest moon crossed with the Island of Dr Moreau, only set in space, or something.

• Mark M says:

I hope someone submitted a game where you run an organization similar to The Initiative from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Like supernatural X-COM.

2. Monkeybreadman says:

Ultimate Budget Balance Fighter Ex

3. GetOutOfHereStalker says:

quit posting pictures of me, jesus christ

4. DJ Phantoon says:

I happen to dislike Adam Sessler and think he is neither handsome nor talented.

I can’t remember exactly why though.

• Uhm says:

You’re thinking of Adam Sandler.

• rocketman71 says:

While I don’t like much Adam Sessler (see him drooling with Tim Willits), I don’t think anybody surpasses Todd Hollenshead in dickishness in that list. It certainly is a really mixed bag.

5. jalf says:

Interesting, that’s a pretty mixed crowd of judges. Looking forward to seeing their, well, judging.

6. Jake says:

Can someone submit my original idea of ‘the two player mode from Hunter Hunted but in 3d’ please, I don’t have time to make the demo. Basically it would be a bit like L4D2 but with a minotaur.

7. Alexander Norris says:

Chris Avellone! *swoons*

8. Alaric says:

Speaking of that troll in the image. Isn’t it from Project Offset? How is that one doing? Did Intel shut it down yet? It’s been years and years, and their amazing video tech isn’t so amazing anymore, and still we have no game…

• Demon Beaver says:

I’m waiting for years on news from that thing. But since Intel aquired them, all they’ve been doing is wave around the existing artwork… I wonder if it’s officially vaporware yet…

• TheHumanBlur says:

Using assets from a vaporware tile that Intel consumed does seem a little ominous in this context.
      “Here be monsters” etc.

9. Geoff says:

There have been updates, (well more changes really) on their website and a new video with a blind giant which is fun. Mostly just new artwork for animals and races though. I think its safe to say that Project Offset (working title) has been vapourware for awhile now though yes.

However I strongly believe it will see the light of day because I got the impression it was planned to be the flagship showing off Intel’s Larabee graphics. Both have been kind of shelved I think but i expect both will make some sort of appearance all be it changed from the original concepts

10. Navagon says:

Aren’t they worried they’re going to get sued for using Langdell’s likeness?

11. jeremie says:

Can we participate to this contest and another one or Intel prohibit it ?

12. jeremie says:

Can we participate in other than that one with the same game ?

13. ARme says:

Oups, forgot to register Metagolf to this contest :)
    I probably didn’t try to get into this one because it was looking way too mainstream while IGF (e.g.) seemed more indie oriented and since my game feel a bit retro…
    I’m currently more focused on finishing more levels than looking for such opportunities :s