Keeping Its Powder Dry: More Burning Sea

By Kieron Gillen on June 21st, 2010 at 9:29 am.

I have one remaining Pirate based pun that hasn't been used yet. I'm keeping its powder dry to... wait! That works for the headline. Onwards.

We haven’t covered Pirates Of The Burning sea for a while – which is lucky, as almost all our previous posts featured a very sinister shot of a pirate. What were we thinking? Anyway, last week Flying Lab announced a free-to-existing-players expansion to come later in the year. The trailer says Summer. The press release says this will be out in August. Is August Summer? DEBATE COMMENT THREADERS. Main additions? 60 new missions, 4 new factions based around privateering, Port Governance and a brawling school of combat. The Port Governance is the most interesting sounding thing, allowing each port to elect a governor with special powers. I wish I had special powers. Sad Emoticon. Anyway – if you’re an active player you can sign up to the Beta here. If you’re not an active player, there’s a two week trial. And the trailer follows. Thing to make you watch the video: 1 minute in, there’s a boat with an enormous whale’s rib-cage on it. Want one!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. wm says:

August is summer. As in ‘last month of’. You’re welcome.

2. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

August can be summer. It would depend on the climate, such as latidue, distance from coast, etc.

Im Germany, their winter months are December, January, February.

If thats possible, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, YE SCURVY SEA DOGS! YARRRRRRRRR!

To consider August never to be in summer is a bit of cultural impreialism, me thinks.

3. The Dark One says:

What about all those poor people in the southern hemisphere? First they have to stand on their heads and now they have to get contradictory pronouncements about which months are part of summer.

4. Mark O'Brien says:

In Ireland they teach that the summer is May, June, July.

All the other seasons are similarly one month off. It nominally has its root in some ancient celtic idea of the seasons, but I suspect that the difference in our curriculum had more to do with differentiating ourselves from the British when the state was founded than anything else.

What’s weird is that very few people seem to be aware that our idea of the seasons is different from everybody else’s. I only learned about it when I had one of those pointless arguments with a Scottish housemate 6 years ago about when summer started, and ended up looking it up online so I could prove him wrong.

5. Ginger Yellow says:

I quite liked PotBS, certainly more than any other MMO. The ship combat, basic as it was, gave much needed variety to the game. But still, after a couple of months my usual MMO fatigue set in. I’ve no real desire to go back.

Sagan says:

There is no real standard for when summer is. Here in Germany for example summer begins today (June 21st) and lasts until mid-September.

Nathan says:

Huh? I never knew that August had been thought of anything except Summer in the UK?

8. Alexander Norris says:

Almost everyone uses the solstices/equinoxes as the start and end dates for the various seasons, so August is indeed in summer, and this is a FACT!

Well, except for in the southern hemisphere, but who cares about them anyway?

Richard Beer says:

12 months, 4 seasons, 3 months per season.. August has to be summer. If it isn’t, February is spring, which is clearly lies.

10. Kieron Gillen says:

I know how to get a comment thread started.

KG

• Alexander Norris says:

I’m fairly certain RPS is the only place on the Internet where people are more interested in defining summer than they are in pirates.

Should we be proud of this?

11. Malagate says:

These feeble notions of what constitutes a “season” greatly amuses me. I surely do “miss the springtime on Earth” indeed, what with that planet having only one biome, a perfectly consistant circular orbit and rotates with no tilt nor “wobble”.

Saying a game comes out in “summer” is actually a very clever way of saying “one day” or “eventually”, as it’s usually summer or summer-ish somewhere in the world.

• DrazharLn says:

Perhaps they should state that it comes out tomorrow. Because tomorrow, tomorrow never comes.

• Sobric says:

I also find the pettiness of humans and their “seasons” amuses me no end. In fact, as I sit on my Mega-throne in the Starfortress, I often laugh to myself about this very fact.

• Malagate says:

Sobric, is that Starfortress 27 on Tannerhaus Crescent? I got a little card from the Trans-Dimensional Post Office saying that they sent my hyper-spacial cube of glitter there, which I really need for my C-beams. I’m from Starfortress 28a, “Dungratuitousspacebattlin”, I tried popping over but all I could hear from the door was maniacal laughter and the occasional cry of “Seasons? By month?!”…

12. The Hammer says:

Summer is June, July and August, you noobs.

That’s why it’s still hot in August, pfff.

13. malkav11 says:

Summer is technically late June through some point in September, iirc, but this is communist nonsense and it is clearly actually June, July and August. September is FALL, dammit.

14. James G says:

Oh, and you were doing so well until just before the end. Autumn dammit! Autumn. Besides, if you call it fall, you use the fantastic autumn associated adjectiv, autumnal, and autumnal is so satisfying to say, that I’ll happily but up with a season which breaks the otherwise attractive symmetry between having to long names seasons, and two short names ones.

15. Bob Bobson says:

In northern latitudes summer is all of June, July, August. In southern latitudes summer is all of December, January and February. In tropical latitudes summer is an irrelevent concept as rain patterns are the seasonal shifts of real note.

This is all true, thus anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

So umm… is a 2 week trial enough to get a solid feel of PotBS?

16. skyturnedred says:

Summer is when it’s hot, winter is when it’s cold. There are no definite dates when they start.

Yes, winter can be in June if it’s freezing cold.

17. DrGonzo says:

Can someone talk about the game? Looks interesting, and I saw its about 8 quid on Steam so I’m tempted to check it out.

Any good?

18. Quests says:

I have no idea how this game lasted so long even with its monthly fee.

When i played it it was the most boring wow clone in history. All i did was kill collecting quest after quest, always told where to go and what to do. I went “when do i even start to play” because atm i was just playing something already fixed.

19. JimmyJames says:

@DrGonzo

If it were like EVE in the age of sail it would have been fantastic. Sadly, it wasn’t. The ship combat was pretty good, but it was repetitive, and as Quests mentioned, the, er, quests were abysmal.

From what I remember, piracy could only occur in disputed waters (or pre-designated circular areas… something like that) which were easy to avoid, and there was little point to go in them unless you wanted a fight, so even piracy was boring.

20. wm says:

Yes, finally someone who understands. Well done, sir.

21. Vinraith says:

Summer is everything from the summer solstice to the autumnal equinox. Consequently yes, of course August is in summer..

On a less interesting note, I briefly played in the POTBS beta and recall being broadly unimpressed. Lots of potential squandered on clunky, staid mechanics that totally killed the swashbuckling feel. Honestly, I enjoyed Sid Meier’s mid-00’s Pirates! remake better, to say nothing of the original.

22. Caecilius says:

I wrote a longer comment about POTBS but it hasn’t been approved yet so suffice it to say that I’m currently playing and enjoying it, mainly for the PVP it offers. In my opinion it’s the one thing that isn’t emphasised nearly enough when people review or talk about the game.

Eurogamer recently did I re-review of it which I thought was basically fair, however it shares the classic mmo review problem of being unable to cover the end-game, which in POTBS’s case is where most of the enjoyment lies (thankfully you can get to max level in a very short time nowadays). The ship combat really is unique and it’s the main reason that people such as me are still playing the game, despite its flaws, 2 years after release.

It’s quite difficult to explain to people who haven’t played it so here are a couple of videos of port battles that give an impression of it (the second one is sped up): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYodHfghc7g and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpHkMlYs44

That’s my 2 doubloons anyway.

23. Caecilius says:

@DrGonzo

Apparently youtube links set off the spam detection machine so here is a shorter version – I’m currently playing POTBS and enjoying it, mainly for the PVP which remains very good. I’d be happy to answer any questions etc. you might have about the game.

@JimmyJames

I agree that some of the quests are, frankly, abysmal, but thankfully some of the more recent ones are a lot better and you can ignore missions entirely once you get to level 50, which can be done very quickly nowadays.

As for piracy etc., your recollection is not entirely accurate. PVP with ship loss can occur in port battles, in red zones created by piracy and unrest on the open sea and when a player voluntarily flags themselves for open sea PVP. Players will often ‘need’ to get to ports that are in red zones so piracy, blockading etc. can and does happen all the time. PVP without ship loss can take place in the skirmish or duel systems.

24. JimmyJames says:

@Caecilius

Ah, thanks for the clarification. It’s been some time since I even thought about the game. I do remember a rather polite pirate snagged a ship of mine when I wasn’t paying attention and drifted into a red zone. I thought it was pretty cool that there was a system to allow for a nonviolent surrender of a portion of goods carried.

It didn’t seem like there were many red zones or all that much fighting when I was playing, but I guess my memory has already proven to be faulty!

25. prom gowns says:

Good information, thanks for posting that. I have bookmarked your site and will come back to see what else you have to say.