Lost In Spatial: Puzzle Dimension

By Jim Rossignol on June 21st, 2010 at 9:38 pm.

This morning’s RPS inbox contained a missive from from Doctor Entertainment, founded by Jesper Rudberg and the splendidly named Anders Pistol, who mentioned that their new game, Puzzle Dimension, was available on Steam. To be honest, I kind of ignored it because there’s no demo, but I just had a look at the trailer (below), and it’s intriguing. Reminds me of an old Amiga puzzler I can’t quite recollect the name of… Has anyone picked it up? Any thoughts?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. DrazharLn says:

They contacted you specially but didn’t send you a review copy? Weird. It makes me sad when they mistreat you like this.

Makes me want to box their ears and give them lessons in marketing, it does.

• Sagan says:

I think RPS have special Steam accounts that give them access to all games.

• John Peat says:

Yeah – trolling reviewers in the hope they’ll buy it to review it is a BIT desperate ;)

• Code Monkey says:

In that case, why would they be peeved if there isn’t a demo?

• Matt says:

Principles?

2. Dan says:

Looks very much like Kula World for the PS1. Not that that’s a bad thing by any measure, and it looks to have enough new ideas to avoid just being a plain clone.

• Thermal Ions says:

Was thinking the same thing, but couldn’t remember the name. If it’s anywhere near as enjoyable I’d be a satisfied purchaser.

• Thermal Ions says:

From their website’s Q&A page (http://www.puzzledimension.com/qa):

“Puzzle Dimension reminds me of Kula World for PlayStation. Are both games made by the same developer?

No different companies but Jesper Rudberg who designed Puzzle Dimension co-founded Game Design Sweden AB, the developer of Kula World.”

3. CrazedPenguin says:

Looks like 3D Dot Game Heroes (for PS3) crossed with Kula World (for PSX).
    Here’s some linkage for the latter:

4. Tyshalle says:

It looked cool enough to buy, but for some reason it won’t run on my computer, which can play much bigger games easily.

5. Metalfish says:

Looks very Kula World indeed. My gf completed the entire thing. I don’t think I could get past level 50ish.

6. Jimbo says:

Marble Madness?

7. dantokk says:

Looks like a distant relative of the Spindizzy genre?

8. rocketman71 says:

Those screenshots reminded me of the excellent Ballance

(haven’t seen the trailer yet, perhaps it has nothing to do with it)

9. Dave says:

Baron von Puttyngton versus the Cancerous M.C. Escher Maze of Cheese

10. Tyshalle says:

Managed to get the thing working, but by the end of the tutorial I was so fucking nauseous I had to stop playing all together. For people who can get motion sickness or whatever playing videogames, this one reminds me of like, DOOM II on the level of how horrible it is for giving me migraines. Way too bright, nothing is soft, it’s all sharp edges, and now I’m gonna have to go lay down for a while, heh.

11. TeeJay says:

Reminds me a bit of Marble Madness…

12. Kieron Gillen says:

I actually think Jim’s thinking of Blob, the into-and-out-the-screen platformer.

(Because if it was Marbel Madness, Jim would know it. I think he’s looking for something a little more tangential)

KG

13. jon_hill987 says:

Well it has to be better than Spectraball. That was a huge disapointment.

14. Jimbo says:

I doubt it will be as good as Super Monkey Ball. This doesn’t even appear to have a regular monkey, let alone a super monkey.

15. luphiso says:

reminds me heavily of kula world on the psx

16. tssk says:

Is the game Springtime the clown themed 3D puzzle game cover mounted on Amiga Power issue 51? (See http://amr.abime.net/issue_51 )

17. mechanoid says:

Bought it and like it very much.

It’s an intelligent puzzle game with great graphics. At first the game looks pixelated and gives you 8-bit music. The more solve, the further the game evolves and the graphics and the score get up to date.

The game has very few action elements, it’s strictly logic, thinking ahead, solving puzzles.

Very nice artistic touch. I only think that the puzzles might be a little hard for nowadays casual gamers.

18. Cali says:

Regarding the Amiga, I’d go for Bombuzal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl2B7wYWhpc).

19. AndrewC says:

Kula World! Joy! Though I prefer the pure physics rolly action of, say, Marble Blast Ultra over the more puzzly stuff.

Switchball strikes a nice balance between the two. Ballance was nice too. None of them classics, but all of them solid.

Ball rolling games! Yes!

20. Juppstein says:

There was a game on the Amiga called Rock’nRoll that somehow looked and played similar to Puzzle Dimension, without 3D that is.

21. KBKarma says:

The soundtrack is lovely, but I’m an 8-bit enthusiast.

It certainly looks very interesting. I may buy it when I get paid. Which will hopefully be soon…

22. iSoLateD1 says:

I took a chance on this. Its a good puzzle game, and some of the early puzzles are quite difficult. The graphics look okay in 1920×1080, and I feel so far it was worth $10.

23. Internet guy says:

I bought this as well. I’m enjoying it… extremely high production values for a ‘casual’ (eurghhh) game. Figuring out the scoring system to try to top the Steam leaderboards was fun.

24. Visualante says:

I wish there was a demo. Pity so few purchased it.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I agreee…and nobody bothers with a gameplay video either… but IF they throw in the OST for free, I might buy it just for the sake of it…

• Tomski says:

If you’re still interested, there’s a demo up on steam now!

25. MouseKingdom says:

I would say it it is literally my fav game. Great graphics, the spin and camera view add to the 3D. Good positive sounds. At-your-own-pace thought required. The spins and curved play-surfaces are great.