A Good Combination: Doodle God

By John Walker on June 24th, 2010 at 2:31 am.

What does this have to do with doodling?

Want to know why I haven’t gone to bed? It’s because of DeliriumWartner, and his recommending Doodle God. Which has nothing to do with doodling. It does instead have an awful lot to do with being godly. You’re given just four elements, earth, wind, fire and water, and by combining them the aim is to create 115. Which involves an awful lot of combining.

It’s done with a fair dose of wit. Each combination comes with a quote, but more interesting is what the combinations create. Golem + Energy = Human. Human + Energy = Wizard. These are calculations we know to be truths.

It’s nicely put together – you can click on the icons, or even drag them on top of one another. But of course it does eventually devolve into randomly combining everything on everything. Despite this, it’s still amazingly rewarding when you find a match.

And I want to keep going, despite being so very, very tired.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

DAMN YOU! My night is lost.

2. heartlessgamer says:

Damn it, I was going to play Duels of the Planeswalker tonight.

3. El Stevo says:

Nope. Not going to play this. Only just stopped playing Transformice after about five hours. Bed for me.

4. malkav11 says:

Most combinations do nothing, so it’s rapidly an unentertaining slog of random trial and error, at least for me.

5. Psychopomp says:

Sure is random clickin’.

6. Freudian Trip says:

That ‘HALLELUJAH’ can fuck right off at 3:30 in the morning. So can me bothering to click the mute button in the corner.

7. drewski says:

Wizard + Warrior = Wizard + Worm

Some amusing combination possible. Got bored around 75 elements though, wasn’t getting many intuitively, random clicking was a drag and the hint system takes way too long for people who just want to see the combinations dammit.

8. TheHumanBlur says:

Pointless and awesome. My two favorite things.

9. colinmarc says:

this is hard!

10. Mechtroid says:

Only a horrible game doesn’t let me combine dragon with dragon to create double dragon.

11. Spectre-7 says:

This game is clearly bunk. I mean, how can dinosaur + lightning not equal anything at all, let alone something completely awesome?

12. Al3xand3r says:

This isn’t new… and isn’t like this game… so I dunno why I’m mentioning it here, I guess maybe because I was just playing… but I don’t think it’s been posted here… Do post about it here!

It’s an indie card game. With physical cards (no collectible booster pack stuff, just a specific deck that everyone draws from, though you can combine more than one deck if you want to double the length of a match). But you can try a demo before you buy a deck. And that demo is a PC game with you versus two AI opponents. Creative! It’s really fun. I want to buy a deck or two now. Such a charming creation story as well. And cute testimonials from little or not so little fans.

• Jezebeau says:

I don’t know why you mentioned this game either, unless it’s an ad placement. It really has absolutely no relation to this game whatsoever. To top it off, the game’s terrible. Victory or defeat depends almost entirely on who has the ‘take all an opponent’s scoring cards’ cards or draws the ‘all your cards in play are discarded’ event near the end of the game, which is pure chance. Take your cute little endorsements elsewhere.

13. Cpt. Sqweky says:

I think the biggest problem is that half the time you don’t know what you’re shooting for. When you know what is available it’s usually not too hard to figure out. Otherwise it’s complete random guessing, which isn’t fun.

14. MWoody says:

Wow, I clicked without reading the blurb and I thought I was in the tutorial. I came back here to complain that it was taking a long time to get to the actual game, where I assumed I’d actually use these summonable items in some sort of gameplay.

15. DeliriumWartner says:

Hah, sorry John, sorry guys.

My fav was man + dinosaur = dinosaur plus blood. The hunter doesn’t fair much better either.

16. Jon says:

How the hell do you get thunderbird? :(

My game has resorted to random clicking with the odd moment of inspired guesswork.

• Jon says:

Ah, just worked my way up to thunderbird, going to have a go at finding dragon and dinosaur now.

• Henny14 says:

If you find dinosaur, I can tell you how to find dragon :-)

17. GetOutOfHereStalker says:

all the fun of being stuck in an adventure game without any of the plot or humour

18. Luke says:

I stubbornly finished this. What a waste of time!

Most of these ended up with me facepalming in their/my combined stupidy.

Water + Wood = Boat . . . that’s fine.
    Boat + Wood = Ship!
    OF COURSE! To make a bigger boat, lets just put more wood on it. /facepalm.

• Jon says:

Boat + Wood = Ship makes perfect sense to me. This game is a classic example of different people thinking in different ways… I still haven’t found the dragon or dinosaur but have found plankton and whale.

• Luke says:

The one thing i think they should have done would have been Corpse + Electricty = Frankenstein’s Monster. Missed a good one there

19. Yanko says:

I’m restraining myself from clicking that link. I want to play it SO BAD, but i know i’ll just spend countless hours on it and i can’t 8(

Anyway, did an awesome social experiment: sent it last night at midnight to a friend who has (quite a few) compulsive disorders. Just opened up my email with the following message

“12:30 – I HATE YOU!!!
    05:07 – I finished your damn game. Now i can go to bed”

that’s a total kickass game.

20. Mana_Garmr says:

There’s got to be something wrong with a game that makes me want to cry a little every time I find something new and realise I have to check it against all the others.

21. Tunips says:

Doodle-God damn you all hell hell. Just finished the game. I want my five hours back.

22. Sergio says:

Human + Human ?

23. Hmm-Hmm. says:

You are a horrible person, John Walker.

24. Kits says:

Managed to get all kinds of obscure things..yet for the life of me can’t make trees/wood.
    Demigod? Werewolf? Yet I can’t even grow a simple tree? Something wrong there.

25. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Kits: If you have seeds you can grow a tree in the earth. But you need tools to cut it down.

26. Kits says:

Nope, no seeds either. I’ll get there eventually..when I finish making things like ghouls and assassin’s…

27. Fuu says:

I refuse to believe that Sex + Bricks doesn’t result in something new and fascinating.

28. Sagan says:

They should at least have some indicator to show you when you are done with an element. Anything to reduce the amount of randomly clicking around.

29. d. says:

For those iterested (I’m not), there’s a clone for mobile phones. On Android, it’s called “Alchemy”.

30. Torgen says:

never got seeds or golems or anything like that, but got dragon and pheonix

31. Antithesis says:

Also, if storm + bird = thunderbird, why is fire + beast not Firefox?

32. Sagan says:

For seeds you need to combine sand and life.

33. Taverius says:

The final one I got was beer.

This is probably a Sign.

34. Sagan says:

More criticism: The hint system in this game is rotten. When I need a hint that means that I am at a dead end. So obviously the hint system should show me something that is not another dead end…

35. Anonymous says:

will someone just tell me how to make the dragon?!

• Antithesis says:

fire+ dinosaur.
      If you have no dinosaur it’s egg+ earth.

36. circadianwolf says:

Good god, do not play this game immediately before going to bed. My quasi-dream/waking state this morning was an endless nightmare of [blank] + [blank] = [blank].

37. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Oh, there is a ‘reaction list’ here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=t-8d7fmkG_sXUgOTOPa7Rqg&toomany=true . Yes, I’ve cheated happily.

Also, this somehow reminds me of the ‘grow’ games.. just less fun. If only it’d show you which combinations you’d already tried (by greying out the icons from the selected ‘element’ opposite the icon you’ve selected).. it’d be much more bearable.

38. TommyPepper says:

Dammit, I have my Biology finals tomorrow. All I’m gonna be able to answer with are examples like Human + Beast = Domesticated Animal etc

39. Justin the alchemist says:

golem is life plus ground
    try golem plus life for human and once you get human youll get a lot of other stuff

40. protorp says:

Finishing it was made much more enjoyable through having SO playing it at the same time on her copmuter . . . we got to about 85 each or so before running through the ones the other didn’t have and trying to remember how the hell we got them.

The divergence in what we individually had at that point was surprisingly significant, and it wasn’t just based on one or two “chains” that we’d missed starting points on. Differences in thought process / interests were self evident as well (arts graduate here, engineer there) . . . all in all I found it cleverly thought out and entertaining despite the cumbersome click prolongation.

• Torgen says:

You can pull up a list of the reactions you’ve already found, and what it takes to make it.

• Henny14 says:

Torgen: but when you have too many reactions, the oldest ones are getting deleted.
      I can’t use human + human nay more:-(

41. M@TTI says:

what the fuck is the point of that games it took me 8.5 hours and for wot it was not fun it was not entertaining and it was not educational

42. Al3xand3r says:

@Jezebeau, lol, your paranoia has no bounds… I’ve been posting here for months at least, you’d think I’d have advertised this earlier if I really had any relation to its development, other than simply recently discovering and loving the hell out of it. Your experience of the gameplay sounds like that of a jaded old cynic as well. Perhaps you’re related to the game advertised here so you feel someone wanted to steal your success (lolz, paranoida is cool guyz) and you bash them with words of little substance? Gubs is a game of wit and luck, as it claims to be, so yes, a lucky card draw can win you the match, much like in any card game out there, but there’s also some room for your strategy to help you win or diminish the effects of others’ luck. You can also customise the rules so that the more random elements are minimised or excluded altogether if they’re not your cup of tea.

43. Zatch225 says:

human+human=sex lol

44. Kevin says:

Oh, there is a ‘reaction list’ here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=t-8d7fmkG_sXUgOTOPa7Rqg&toomany=true . i just found that out when i just finished the game…. XD
    /.facepalm

45. Bart Stewart says:

As I was working my way through to the end of this gamelet, it occurred to me that what this is, really, is no more than a nicely-presented trial-and-error exploration of the Civilization tech tree.

It’s got a bit more internal complexity than Civ’s tech tree, true. On the other hand, it dispenses entirely with the whole “doing things with the technologies you’ve discovered” bit.

In theory, this shouldn’t be fun at all. And yet I was up until three-ish, and then spent more time this afternoon feverishly working out every combination I could think of while giggling like an idiot at combinations like “vampire” + “human” = “vampire” + “vampire” and “dragon” + “hunter” = “dragon” + “ash”.

Why?

Would adding more game-like gameplay (as hinted at) really make this game better/more fun, or just destroy its simple charm as a nice little diversion?

46. Edgar J Buttstain says:

wizard + mushroom does not equal magic mushroom

• SaimiSN says:

OH MY GOD ! 3 hours later I finished this damned game … And it’s only 11 in the morning, so you can imagine that it was my morning buzz … LOL.

But it’s okay, I enjoyed it even it was stressing / freaking me out in all the possible ways !
      Some combinations are pretty funny … Hahaha.

Boat + Wood = SHIP ! (Hahahaha, totally sense :9)

47. Richard says:

Why does human + cigarette not equal cancer?

48. apa says:

life + corpse was too good to pass

49. person says:

1st, how do you get a bird again? and 2nd, i got a treant by adding life and tree

50. sarafee says: