Oh, And Lego Universe

By Jim Rossignol on June 24th, 2010 at 9:33 am.

One of the last of the PC showings from E3 that we’ve got around to taking a glance are those for Lego Universe. I’ve posted the lovely cinematic and some developer-chatter captured by GameTrailers below. I think it gives you a fairly good idea of what this is going to be. It’s not exactly throwing off the familiar mantle of how MMOs doing things – with quests and hitting stuff and so on – but it is still doing a fair number of things differently. Plus you get to build stuff with Lego, which is kind of special, all on its own.

I’ve messed around with the beta of this for a while, and we’re hoping to have some detailed impressions closer to release. And that release will be in October.

, , .

Tunips says:

I’m in the beta. But being Australian means the opening hours occur around 4AM. As such I have played exactly none of it.

2. Drexer says:

I’ve been in the beta, but lately I haven’t had any opportunity to play it unfortunately.

I will say this, it’s the MMO with the biggest fun per area content ratio I ever played before. It’s seriously surprising how much fun you can have in even a small map. That and it’s LEGO, so you know, it’s naturally awesome.

Even their teaser trailer with the classic fantasy story, seems much more polished and interesting than what you usually see for most MMOs.

• Dave says:

Really… I was completely bored to death by the Lego Universe beta. I am posting this from beyond the grave!!! OooOoOOOOoOOOoOoOoooooo!

3. terry says:

I haven’t played much recently but I was pretty underwhelmed with the game for various probably NDA-breaking reasons. One thing that I must mention is that it’s kind of hard to play a co-operative game when you can’t indicate the name of quest items or objects that must be manipulated (or say anything in particular) because the chat filter deems whatever you said some sort of hideous torrent of abuse. This may have changed, and I can understand that Lego presumably don’t want JIMZ0R_tEH_feCKIN_BaNDeRSNaTCH_420 screaming obscenities at kids, but it irked me – why have a chat system at all if it’s borderline unusable?

4. getmoneybuildlegosmoketrees says:

ya this game would be ok, if you’re 10.

They lose the main appeal of the setting by not allowing you to be properly creative with the building (as far as I’ve seen/read) and limiting interaction. All I wanted to do was terrorise kids with massive lego cocks but nooo. It doesn’t really feel like an mmo but on the other hand it feels a lot more polished than most.

Drexer – Ridiculously simple combat and easy platforming is fun? This says more about how woeful most mmos are than anything else. Still, I’ll play it a bit more before making up my mind, but not really interested in spending lots of time in an MMO ever again anyway. This could actually appeal to people like me by seemingly not being much of a timesink at all but still.

• Drexer says:

Yes, yes it is. Or at least is at its place on the giant scale of fun.

Nowadays, with the huge amount of MMOs coming out, there are only two things that might interest me in one. The subject or inspiration of the MMO itself(which is why I’m probably going to get DCUniverse Online), and variation in interaction. I have no doubts that there are people who enjoy the usual MMO battles but unfortunately I am not one of them. I enjoy many MMO details, but the usual skill use and cooldown is just not something which appeals to me. As such, a platforming/simple battle system tickles my gaming bone enough for me to enjoy it, while giving me much of the fun of an usual MMO.

And like I said, the fun is a lot. I do not know what areas you reached, but until Pet Cove for me, the platform difficulty seemed to be scaling properly, and I would not dare to say that I had exited the beginning areas yet. It’s possible that it reaches a top around there, but I don’t know, I haven’t played enough. I only know is that I enjoyed much more the simple mix of platforming on a small map, then what you would usually end up with a huge map but whose variation in quests would be minimal and unimaginative.

5. Tei says:

Wen you think LEGO, you inmediatelly think: RPG. So a WoW clone made with a LEGO skin makes supersense. Since mmos don’t support modding, If you want to play WoW, only with character that look like lego people, you can’t do it yourself, or a friend or some random dude on the internet. You have to wait about 5 years for some random company to waste 5 million dollars to create it. And here is.. a WoW clone, with LEGO skin. I am sure his authors are proud of his work, and I am sure the endgame is about to get finished soonish, this year. This game has potential, man. Imagine the raids.

• Heliocentric says:

I would love to make a Lego game, not a Lego [Franchise] but just straight up lego.

A lego strategy game with physics resolved combat and custom units, non of this ‘this clock has double hp’ bull, just well built units working better.

A lego space mission game where you need to build rockets, rovers and satelites and explore space.

Or a lego emergency rescue game where you’ll adapt your vehicle to every rescue.

Not wow in lego clothes and worse combat.

6. John Peat says:

I have to agree that it’s clearly aimed at kids – a mass collectathon with some fairly basic puzzles/challenges to be dealt with.

There’s plenty of gravy in terms of building stuff (that they want you to build – no making it up yourself) and pets and the like, but you cannot get away from the feeling that it’s aimed at pre-teens.

It is quite polished tho – bright, colourful, imaginative etc.

7. Harlander says:

Sounds like you’d enjoy some of the garrysmod game modes. Spacebuild, for example.

8. Bobsy says:

For reference (because people seem to be unwilling to believe it) you CAN build things brick by brick. Proper lego building.

What I cannot confirm is whether this has any relevance to the game itself outside your personal plot of land that no-one else will ever visit anyway.