Disciples III: Renaissance Releaseitude

By Kieron Gillen on June 25th, 2010 at 9:30 am.

I will destroy you with the power of love +4

The story is overtaking us. Since we’re off at World of Love today, I’m quickly nosing around for stories we’ve missed. I see that turn-based fantasy game Disciples III: Renaissance has had an E3 trailer out. Then I see that it’s due shortly in Summer. I see that summer means already out late last year in Russia, next month in the US and TODAY IN EUROPE! Disciples III: Renaissance is out in Europe! It cannot be contained! The signal is coming from inside the building!

Trailer follows.

Trailer over.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. coldwave says:

When it was out in Russia it sucked quite a bit and was probably most glitchy game I ever played.
    I also heard that original developer team pretty much ceased to exist and only a couple of guys left to patch this lump of balls and make it work on Windows 7 which wasn’t supported at release.
    If they made it work, well good for them, maybe I’ll even reinstall this ‘game’.

• lhzr says:

@N: what first mission? have you tried the final version of the translation? it’s supposed to translate everything..

• lhzr says:

reply fail.

2. Freud says:

It seems that a lot of Eastern European games take their time making it to the rest of the world for various reasons. They need to be turned into English, they often need polish and it might be hard finding a publisher for the rest of the world.

For someone who loved Boiling Point, warts an all I am still waiting for White Gold that was released almost two years ago in the Motherland. I might be waiting forever for that one.

• jeremypeel says:

What ever happened to White Gold?? We had pre-release UK previews and everything!

• lhzr says:

white gold prolly won’t come out in english.
      but! you can get the russian version and a full english translation(that’ll let you play through the whole game), from http://www.patches-scrolls.de/white_gold_war_in_paradise.php

the same goes for precursors, which is white gold in space(plus you also get to drive spaceships)

• N says:

Izhr: the Precursors translation was pretty unplayable because after the first mission it translates jack-shit, i.e. nothing, the game goes on in russian. And it’s pretty damn odd because you don’t really know what the hell is going on in the cinematics; and they are damn long ones too, they set the scene and crap.

• lhzr says:

@N: i’ve tried to answer, but it seems my comment got misplaced and now i can post it again..

• lhzr says:

@N: tried to answer, but my comment got misplaced and i can’t repost it. check a bit up from here.

• Arkose says:

@N: the new translations are much more advanced and fully playable.

The Precursors is 100% translated; the translation quality isn’t the greatest due to Deep Silver never finishing it , but you can still understand what is being conveyed.

White Gold is about 98% translated; some lines from Deep Silver’s translation are inexplicably written in a mixture of real English and a sort of pseudo-Russian (so instead of “золото” you get “eonoto”). This only affects a very small amount of dialogue, however, and as with the awkward sentences in The Precursors you can usually get the gist of what they intended to convey. Objective summaries have no pseudo-Russian (at least from what I’ve seen) so even if you can’t understand what the quest giver said you can still get the quest done without any trouble.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Still – hard to get over here. Last time I looked I couldn’t find a decent pay-for-download site offering either game. Which is annoying, as both are games RPS would like to cover, but when piracy seems to be our only option, it’s a tad rubbish.

(I mean, I couldn’t even find a place to send us a boxed copy in the brief nose)

By which I mean, any links would be gratefully appreciated if any of you folk have a proper way to get it.

KG

• N says:

Izhr/Arkose: Thanks for the help guys, I’ll give the new version a try as soon as I’m done with Singularity. When I said “first mission” I meant the crash-site level, which apart from the giant spitting cabbages was pretty decent. Not to mention the world just seemed to open up after that, in the star port, which really got me interested.

3. Riaktion says:

SO where can I buy this? IS there a demo? I shall Google!

Also Elemental: War of Magic looks like its goign to be good

• Dalamar says:

There is a Russian demo [url=http://ru.akella.com/Files/Games/378/demo/demo.zip]here[/url].
      The [url=http://disciples3.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=6912]English translation mod[/url] apparently works with the demo, but that’s something I have not tried yet.

4. coldwave says:

Just to add some perspective – Russian game magazine reviews.
    Navigator – 6,5/10,
    LKI – 64 %.
    Gameland – 5,5/10
    PC Games 5/10
    AG.ru – 40 %.

Igromania gave it 8,5.10 at first but in their yearly Best/Worst called it a worst game of the year.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

So either they came back on their opinion, they rate really high.. or they liked all games from that year? One wonders..

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Man I was really looking forward to this game, I love the art style. Oh well thanks for the heads up anyway.

5. Bremze says:

Aww, is that HoMM combat? I was hoping for the combat from Disciples 2 but better.

6. J.P says:

I´m not surprised the game was launched as an unfinished mess. Eastern European game developers are known for their crappy Q&A, sub-par engines, “glitchy” releases and poor support.

Even The Witcher, witch was one of my favorite rpg’s these last few years was a mess at launch, fortunately the devs were great supporting it, the same cannot be said of other games.

I think the most polished eastern European release i have seen in some time has been Kings Bounty, great game and fun to play at launch.

7. yaster says:

It’s suck? But But… it can’t. It’s not allowed to! We’ve so few Turn Based these days, they can’t suck. They are not allowed to suck! No! NO!

:sadbunny:

• yaster says:

And this trailer looked so nice:( Turn based! Proper combat movement! Fantastic music! Well, maybe that’s not true. Maybe russians can’t tell?

• coldwave says:

@yaster
      >>Maybe russians can’t tell?

Disciples 2 and other TBS are very popular in Russia, so I think we can.

• yaster says:

It wasn’t meant as offence to great russian nation! Just friendly jab, and attempt to remain hopeful. Don’t break it for me, plz.

And hey, it’s not like I would trust my very own native (poles) game journalist with anything else than the box of matches so they could set themselves on fire.

• Psychopomp says:

You could always stick them all on a plane.

• yaster says:

Awwwhhhh

good one,

but no. What’s about poor folks flying the thing? Last time one of the stewardess was living in the very same building I am. Her fate is the saddest thing I can think of about the whole incident. It actually was somehow personal.

8. AdrianWerner says:

I did a review of final euro version (polish one to be precise) and it’s hugely improved over russian one. Most bugs have been removed and hot seat multi has been implemented. The game is still too easy and has some truly moronic design decisions, but overall it’s a nice turn-based strategy game, even if not particularly worthy Disciples II sequel.

9. Pani says:

Video blocked in the States?

Any other trailer linkies?

10. Sobric says:

speaking of things we may have missed, Jaunty RPS Tribute Blog posted some nice (if console) footage for Brink:

(I know this isn’t totally the right place for this, but KG does mention stuff he might have missed… don’t hurt me..)

11. Dalamar says:

I’ll give the Russian demo (with translation mod) a try. Hopefully I’ll have some nice things to say about is later this day.

12. Psychopomp says:

They should’ve made it a shooter. It’s inherently superior, and TBS isn’t as marketable.

13. gundrea says:

Psychopomp: Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

14. Segal says:

Agreed to that. Everyone complained like hell – not just about bugs, but also about poor balance and HOMM influence.

15. Zyrxil says:

This video contains content from playcast, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Please send your copyright lawyers to my house so I can kick them in the balls. Repeatedly. Who the hell blocks promotional media?

• DigitalSignalX says:

The US dollar really is poisonous – they’re just protecting themselves.

16. Medvedev's Homie says:

Discples 3 is the stinkiest shit ever came from Motherland.

17. Hmm says:

Sounds reassuring, thanks for posting. It sucks that it might not be a perfect Disciples sequel, but I’m so starved for good turn-based games that it’ll probably be good enough in its own right.

18. vine says:

Personally I think the video needed more logos at the start. Maybe 7 minutes of advertising followed by a single screenshot of the game.

19. august says:

How long has this game been in development? Do we have numbers that large?

Also, I thought it was good that Strategy First gave up the Disciples IP to these devs at some point (I’m assuming they couldn’t pay them because they are Strategy First) but maybe that’s not much of an improvement for the future of the series.

20. LupusAmicus says:

I have no problems with russian language. so I got it from day 1 . at launch it was increadibly glitchy but now it’s very playable and it even has hot seat :) the campaign and the story were interesting and they have improved the A.I. so it’s quite challenging now at hard difficulty. And with addons on the way I think it will only get better.

21. G-offspring says:

to Kieron Gillen

About Precursors and White Gold: If you are really eager to try them even in russian, you can buy the digital versions on yuplay.ru

Precursors: http://yuplay.ru/story.php?title=%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B4%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%B8

White Gold: http://yuplay.ru/story.php?title=Xenus-2-%D0%91%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B5-%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE

You can choose a prefered language of the web-site in the top-right corner. By the way, they have some over-the-top friendly guys, who can help you a lot with the purchase – just register and leave a comment at the forum or directly on the game’s purchase page (At first, when they had a region-lock and some games were unavailable outside Russia, they even helped me to bypass the restrictions :) ).

22. malkav11 says:

Now I’m wondering what other neat Russian games – ones I’ve not actually heard of – might have been left in Russia and never localized except through fan translation.

BTW, the yuplay links have Precursors and White Gold each priced at around 230 rubles, which is apparently about $8 USD. That’s crazy.