Global Agenda Shoots Sub In Head

By Kieron Gillen on June 25th, 2010 at 10:30 am.

I sense... aggression.

News reaches us via the internet and the whispering of swallows that shooty-MMO Global Agenda has changed its model, removing the need for a subscription to play its highest level content. You can play the first fifteen levels with the trial but then need to actually buy the game to shoot as long as you like (Which is 33% off on Steam’s current enormo-sale). More details on their site. I want to write something like “Go On A Global Agenda Bender” but I’m not sure if that’s offensive and/or make any sense.

, .

Jeeva says:

Ooh, this suddenly becomes more interesting to me…

2. Choca says:

So which stage is this, Denial or Anger already ?

• Kelduum Revaan says:

I’m pretty sure this would be the Bargaining stage.

3. CMaster says:

Makes it more interesting.
    The thing is, the PvE content I played in the demo was rather uninteresting and very watered down from the challenge that I tried at a show demo.
    The PvP battles were good, but less fun than TF2 at the end of the day.
    So the question is, is the AvA combat good end engaging enough to make a purchase?

4. rxtx says:

This may tempt me to get back into it, though I hope they’ve added more than the single Conquest map they had before

5. Mac says:

May be worth a punt for £16.74 – what’s teh view of people who have played it?

• The Great Wayne says:

Honestly ? It’s not really good. Not good as in “not fun”, unfortunately.

It dramatically lacks ambition and everything feels dull. Been there on preorder, tried it again recently and nothing really changed. It’s this kind of the game that is not good, not awful either, but with not enough inherent interest attached to it, so people just move on instead of bitching on the forums about it.

• snv says:

I enjoyed the introduction / tutorial – but then it immediatly became pointless.

• Auspex says:

Yeah I really enjoyed the tutorial and even got a bit excited that it might be the game for me.

Then I realised how tiresome and soulless it was.
      Try the trial – I’d be surprised if you don’t get bored long before the level cap.

• Warskull says:

Its a pretty terrible game. Its a third person shooter that poorly tries to be TF2 and then adds leveling. Skip it, pick up Lead and Gold on steam instead. L&G finally got dedicated servers implemented and its only $5 on steam at the moment. Similar gameplay, but L&G is fun while Global Agenda is not so fun.

6. Flappybat says:

CMaster has it right, despite it almost following tribes in player abilities and equipment it trips over it’s feet and manages to be less fun than TF2. It can still work but ends up requiring a lot more teamwork than TF2 which makes your individual experience a lot less fun when you are getting destroyed by a superior team. The maps are also pretty awful, for a multiplayer only game there is a serious lack of them and most are made out of prefab structures so they feel very samey. The two new maps they added are much fresher and far more imaginative so fingers crossed that will continue.
    PVE is rather bare, the bosses are imaginative but the mobs that make up the levels are dish water dull, the higher difficulty levels just give them more HP, despite a higher level players guns only doing a couple of percent more damage so it’s more of a slog than actual skill test.

7. Heliocentric says:

So…

Hey, APB hows things?

• APB says:

You know what? Fuck you. I am sub based and advertised in and I like it that wa….OHGODIFEELCHEAP.

• Heliocentric says:

Don’t forget the £30 retail box. *comforts apb*

• ANGRYGAMENERDWITHNOINTERESTINSAIDGAME says:

BRB GAIS, GONNA GO COMPLAIN ON EVERY BLOG POST ABOUT A GAME I NEVER WAS GUNNA BUY, LOLOLOL

8. Aganazer says:

No more elves! er was that ‘subs’?

9. DMJ says:

You know, if they had just made this announcement along with the advertising, all the bad press wouldn’t have happened.

“We’re replacing monthly subs with short audio ads every three hours!” sounds like a step in the right direction. Much better than “We’re adding short audio ads every three hours” and then later “Oh, and no more subs”.

10. nine says:

Global Agender Bender

11. frymaster says:

it’s worth noting that GA has never had subscriptions.

what they did have was an intention to have subscriptions at some point, though what content was going to be subs-only was in a state of flux

12. Auspex says:

KG: you’ve been trying to make sense and not be offensive the rest of the time?

Failed.

13. geldonyetich says:

I was waiting for them to realize the necessity of this. Hopefully, they haven’t spooked too many potential Global Agenda players with their, “lets charge full price for a box then try to entice people into paying a subscription for the kind of experience players have been getting for free via games like Tribes for years” idea.

Now accepting bets as to how long it will take Real Time Worlds to come to the same realization about APB.

14. EaterOfCheese says:

Good move: I’m heading back to GA now :)