Do U Cybr? Blood Of The Cybermen Out

By Kieron Gillen on June 27th, 2010 at 2:22 pm.

It's very disturbing to have the entire internet lusting after someone with basically your name.

Since I’m behind on Who, I’ve avoided playing it yet – I fear it may include spoilers for the final part – but if you’re up to date or just don’t care, the second of the Who adventure games is now available to download and play. You can get it from here, assuming that you’re in Britain. If you’re not – er – you’ll have to wait. And if you’re on a mac, you’ll have to wait too. Its version isn’t out until Wednesday, apparently. Anyone played this? Better/Worse than the first part? Oh – and here’s the trailer.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Andrew Peters says:

From what I have played of it, it’s better than the first, but still not that good of a game.

2. GetOutOfHereStalker says:

maybe doctor who can use the tardis to get his lady friend some pants before she freezes to death

• The_B says:

This is actually the only point that felt slightly lazy. Apparently it’s explained away with the throwaway comment ‘the Tardis will keep you warm, at least for a little while”. Some other costumes would have been nice.

• Chris D says:

I don’t know how it works out for arctic exploration but I can vouch that if you’re out and about on a Saturday night in January in Edinburgh you will see lots of girls wearing pretty much the same thing. They’re a hardy breed up here.

• Ravenholme says:

And if I remember correctly, she’s from further north than that. I’m from around Aberdeen myself, and the lasses here wear that kinda thing at night in the heart of winter.

We’re a very hardy folk.

• TeeJay says:

alcohol = anti-freeze

• Zogtee says:

Screw anyone who suggests Amy should lose her short skirts and start wearing pants. Seriously, what is wrong with you lot?

• GetOutOfHereStalker says:

no what’s wrong with you

3. The_B says:

Not finished it but so far fairly similar to the first part but agreed, slightly better. Especially in the voice direction. Still a bit of a shame the character models aren’t really very expressive enough to match the voices.

As for spoilers – so far (but again I’ll point out I’ve not yet finished the second episode yet) there’s literally no spoilers in relation to the TV series. They still feel like standalone episodes that could easily slot in between most of the TV adventures at any point – there’s not even a single reference to the overarching TV series plot yet, other than the colour/design of the Daleks in the first game.

• Vandelay says:

Shame there isn’t at least an overarching plot within ‘The Adventure Game’ itself, even if it didn’t link into the TV series. I do really hope for a Space Florida episode of this though.

Will play this a little later.

4. Alexander Norris says:

I know Karen Gillan is very pretty and all, but I can’t help but question having her wear a denim minskirt and a négligé in the Arctic. I’m going to go on and assume it’s a dumb mistake rather than someone trying to apply “sex sells” to Doctor Who. :P

5. Quasar says:

I played this yesterday, right after the finale (cracking last episode by the way) and I have to say it is definitely better than the first. It’s got more of an ‘adventure’ feel to it, exploring the arctic base genuinely felt like something that could have been in the show.

The rubbish stealth bits are still there, sadly, but to a much lesser extent, and often with the chance of actually running away, which is the most Doctor Who thing ever.

Although I enjoyed these games, and am certainly going to play the others as they come out, I still can’t help feeling this isn’t the right format for a Doctor Who game.

My ideal game would be a bit like the Penumbra series, without quite so much horror. The opening scenes of the first game are very exploration-based, with no real opportunity for combat, which suits the Doctor nicely.

Yes, a mix between the exploration and puzzle-solving of Penumbra, and the conversational mechanics and fantastic acting of Mass Effect. Make it episodic, or one long game, but make the TARDIS usable by the player. Charge £25. Win.

6. westyfield says:

Do cybermen even have blood? I thought not-having-blood was their defining feature?

• Quasar says:

They are built around a human, so I assume the squishy flesh within contains blood.

• malkav11 says:

They’re a human brain in a robotic shell. It’s been a while since I knew my anatomy very well but I’m fairly certain blood does in fact exist in one’s brain.

7. Quasar says:

Oh, and having finished this episode, there are no spoilers for the TV series at all. Play at your leisure.

8. jeremypeel says:

Really need to catch up on this… And the show…

I HATE life making me ignorant of great things!

9. Mrfox says:

Sounds like the voice acting is pretty top notch, shame about the sub sims level machinimatics that accompany it!

• Grunt says:

You get a lot of that feeling from the BBC, that bold willingness to step up and play in realms inhabited by much bigger, slicker operations than they are but at a fraction of the budget, often leading to jarring moments of faintly embarrassing ‘quaintness’ on screen. The Sims is a franchise that has had millions of dollars thrown at it, its character animations playing a much more central role than in other games considering the nature of the gameplay on offer: for all these games’ shortcomings I’m glad the BBC have dared to make the attempt, even if the best they can manage is ‘serviceable’ quality.

10. Nick says:

Disturbing or.. arousing?

11. Freud says:

Not being from UK, your fascination for Dr Who is just puzzling to me. Much in the same way I just can’t figure out what Australians like about Vegemite.

• TeeJay says:

“If often he was wrong and at times absurd
      To us he is no more a person
      Now but a climate of opinion.”

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I like both?
      Hmm. Maybe the same answer applies! “It’s an acquired taste”?

Also, the post title gets funnier the more times you see it. I actually giggled when it popped up this time in my RSS feeds.

• vanarbulax says:

It’s an incredibly self-absorbed, reliable and iconic part of culture. That’s why both Doctor Who and Vegemite are adored. (Though I don’t like the latter and am growing increasingly disinterested with the former). It’s not really about their quality or lack thereof.

But at least we have a catchy song.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Wait, Doctor Who doesn’t?

12. Matt says:

The first shot up top reminded me of Anthony Burch’s Sleep is Death Dr. Who stories.

Anyway, I wish this was available to us non-UKers! The Cybermen are my favorite Dr. Who villains.

13. Tainted says:

I can also confirm there are no spoilers in this.

The gameplay is a gradual step up from the first, but thats not very hard.

Well worth the cost of admission (license fee that I have to pay anyway) and it whitled away 45 minutes or so after I watched the tv series ending.

I’m glad these are going to be here in the next few months to fill the gap before the christmas special

14. TheTingler says:

The only curious thing I have about it (haven’t played it yet) is – when is it set in the Doctor and Amy’s adventures? It has to be before The Pandorica Opens, but at the same time in that episode Amy doesn’t know who Cybermen are.

• Ginger Yellow says:

It’s set “in the Doctor and Amy’s adventures” in the sense that it features the Doctor and Amy. As far as I can tell there is (so far) no continuity whatsoever with the TV show, other than the collectibles. No references to events in the show (not even a mention of Rory, for instance) and certainly no sense of developing the story arc. They’re just small self contained stories.

• Ovno says:

I thought they were supposed to be proper canon parts of the doctor who series and containing plot relavent to the series or at least that’s what it said in the develop article about them…

Though the where in the timeline is an interesting one, it could easily be brushed over as being after the pandoricle as Amy may not remember the cybermen, but seems a bit of a weak excuse to me…

15. Leperous says:

The finale was pure, unadulterated ass. The pisspoor circular-timeline story reminded me of “Back to the Future” where the characters started fading out of the photo as Marty fooled around in the past.

Going to try out the games with the hope that they are more intelligent.

• Vandelay says:

Huh? First you call one of the finest couple of hours of New Who “ass” (and as we are talking about a British programme, that should arse.) You then go on to try and prove your point by comparing it to one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made.

16. phuzz says:

@Wulf:
    You were right!
    (pretty much anyway)

17. Matt says:

These things are out worldwide now on D2D if anyone was still interested… and reads comments on month-old blog posts.

Comment on this story