It Ain’t Coca Cola – It’s Rice: Go To Hell

By Kieron Gillen on June 28th, 2010 at 10:34 pm.

Yes, yes, you do, you poor drowning fool.

I’m working my way through our tips, and I hit Go To Hell. When the game appears, crouched in the tiny window in a webpage, I almost move immediately away… but some genetic Boulderdash/Dig-Dug/Mr-Driller/Repton response makes me play a little. And it sort of clicks. This is overselling it, but imagine if looking glass (or someone else with a similar love of physics and gloom) decided to make Mr-Driller. While the worries about food, health and air are standard, what really shows off is the fluid model, with you digging into chambers releasing water which floods through the passages. It’s simultaneously a threat (as it removes the oxygen you need to breathe) and your primary weapon (as it removes your enemy’s oxygen too). Improvising flash-floods then scrambling to steal mouthfuls gives a strong take on a classic. Also, the aim to descend to 666 metres fits its digging-to-hell theme perfectly. Go play.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Saucy says:

I love this game.

• JonFitt says:

Me too! Everything tied together really well to put a challenging and compelling (ugh, but it’s the right word) spin on an old idea.

• Grape Flavor says:

Me three. Amazing how interesting and atmospheric it can be with such simple graphics and game design. One of the best flash games I’ve played in a while.

2. FunkyBadger says:

Loving the title.

3. Demon Beaver says:

Neat concept… I like it!

4. Curvespace says:

Lovely :)

5. Defender says:

Took a couple tries, and the strategy change required at ~400m is reason enough to keep going. Good stuff!

6. Tiktaalik says:

Nice post title.

7. Taillefer says:

Enjoyed that. Clever little game, could be extended quite nicely too.

8. Torgen says:

I wish the lava were easier to see. I ended up frantically digging for an illusory safety as my feet turned to cinders :P

9. fuggles says:

Really fun, and with multiple endings! A bit more work to avoid some unavoidable lava deaths would be nice, but it’s still very doable. Lovely.

10. LionsPhil says:

This is surprisingly good; I like the Nethack-esque food mechanic to keep you driving forward. Unfortunately once you get past 400 metres it seems that the water dries up and is replaced by lava, which is much less pleasant to swim in and doesn’t seem much use at killing things other than yourself. 907 points/427 metres. So close; especially since I wasted my first couple of lives learning the dynamics.

11. DJ Phantoon says:

I loved Mr Driller, and love this too. Only one death and made it to Hell with 60 coins.

12. GHudston says:

I managed to dig to hell on my second try, but I must have done something wrong. Despite collecting 50 coins like I was told to, nothing happened when I reached the door. So I just kept digging down until I died…

13. Shazbut says:

I found this surprisingly disturbing, especially the ever present threat of drowning. I won’t play it again but it’s very good.

14. jarvoll says:

Same here. I noticed that standing in front of the door I was only at 664 metres, so I dug two down, realized that wasn’t the solution, and that I was unable to go back up. Damn! Surely there must have been some button one could press to actually enter Hell?

• Grape Flavor says:

lol. All that work and you just ended up in a hole unable to finish the game? Man. I think you just need to walk across the gate…

15. Nox says:

I would like to pay for this game. One, to reward the author(s) and two, because something this brilliant with a budget (mostly for a larger-screen, higher-res version or at least some kind of scaling) could be the next Spelunky.

When I first dug through water, then swam in it, then watched it sluice from the level I was standing in to another square, I actually squealed with delight.

Squealed!

16. leo says:

It was really nice. N’thing that the lava should be more visible. I made it 440 or so meters before dying. And sometimes the game doesn’t dispense enough food, so you run out of that too quickly.

17. 1stGear says:

Didn’t like the lava half of the game nearly as much. Both between issues of visibility and that using the water as a weapon while simultaneously considering it my greatest threat was much more enjoyable than just frantically digging down.

18. Joseph says:

Kieron, for that title, you are my hero.

19. Frank says:

great stuff. thanks for this, rps

20. Batolemaeus says:

Mh, fluids eh?
    Have a look here: http://www.clonk.de/ce.php?lng=en
    I had a _lot_ of fun in clonk, programming my own little items and creating vast mines, trying to avoid the hazards of water break-ins, explosive whatsits and evil creatures.

Played the flash game a bit. Looks fun, but i’ll have to dig a little deeper when i have the time.

21. Darkdobe says:

N’thing the ‘lava is annoyingly difficult to see’
    Made it some 500ish meters before getting killed by a pixel of invisible lava someplace. Also drowned once when my up key started registering as down…

22. Ristotele says:

Am I not doing it right? Sometimes (usually) when I push down or sideways the fella has trouble digging, and starts to wobble in his footsteps instead, getting stuck in the animation. Sometimes jumping and digging right after works, but obviously that’s not a good permanent solution.

23. Pop says:

Hah, are we allowed to plug our own games on here?

If so: http://www.funorb.com/g=minerdisturbance/minerdisturbance/play.ws

If not, ignore my shameless plug :D

On a more serious note: I couldn’t actually get either link to run. What version of flash does it require?

24. MrMistofales says:

Nice title :)

25. pimorte says:

Monsters aren’t the enemy in CLONK. Rain is.

26. Krimson says:

I got all the way to the bottom with the required 50 coins, when a snake I had forgotton about fell and killed me.

GRR.

And the lava part is bullshit.

27. Rane2k says:

“I have good coins!”

Got to hell on the third try. As some other have said, the lava part is not as good as the beginning, it might help if it wasn´t almost the same color as the dirt/rock.

Still, nifty little game. :-)

Oh, and it very much helped that it said in the beginning that 666 is the goal, I might have not tried again after my first death if that number didn´t provide the challenge to do so.
    Endless games sometimes get on my nerves.

28. Pani says:

2174 points, reached hell, disappointed with hell, thought there’d be more pointy sticks. OK game, played better.

29. JayeRandom says:

Oh god. Now I can’t scroll downwards on web pages without getting the sensation that something is wrong and I should scroll up immediately or drown.

30. TeeJay says:

50% ‘twitch action’ + 50% ‘turn based puzzle’ = 100% fun

31. j-j-j-john says:

I’m a few weeks behind on this site… but I finished with 2364 points, 70 coins, 5 lives.

At first I hated the water, but once I figured it out it was gold. Except if you dig sideways into a vertical chasm, no water falls down… it just kinda disappears. I took advantage of that a few times during the lava.

Comment on this story